HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Game 1 shellacking - a good thing?

Old
05-17-2010, 03:35 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

vCash: 500
Game 1 shellacking - a good thing?

Is it something that brings the Habs back down to earth? A reality check as some might say. I think there is the potential for a huge drop off from the Flyers perspective. I'm looking (hoping) for Montreal and especially Halak to come back angry and all fired up to go in game 2. If you asked most Habs fans if they'd take going into game 3 split 1-1 they would be content. It's always better to take a series back home winning the second game over just winning the first.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:32 AM
the vinyl version

I think getting shut out in the first game is the worst part. You have some reasonable expectation that Halak will come back and play well, but there's nothing to say that the offence will all of the sudden show up.

I am a glass half empty type though.

the vinyl version is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:33 AM
Mr_Lyle

I don't think they needed to be brought down to earth. It didn't seem to me that they got overly full of themselves. At the end of the day, in the playoffs, you can lose a game 1-0 or 10-0 and it only counts as a 1 game loss in the series. It's not like the goals get carried over to the next game.

We win next game 1-0 or 2-1 and the series is tied going back to Montreal. All the goals from game 1 don't mean jack. It's a good kick in the crotch that should serve to wake the boys up for the rest of the series. Kinda like game 1 against the Pens.

Mr_Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:44 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
It seems like everybody lost their confidence in that game. Not sure it's a good thing...

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:46 AM
TheBuriedHab

The pens lost game 5 of last years Stanley cup finals 5-0 to Detroit. Its not over quite yet

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:51 AM
LeMAD

Yeah...no.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:01 AM
Washington Capitals

I hope you are right.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:32 AM
Darth Joker

It's possible that after beating the President's Trophy winners in Round 1, and the defending Stanley Cup champs in Round 2, that the Habs players went into Round 3 thinking that Philly would be a relative cakewalk (the Habs players would never say that, of course, but they may have been thinking it).

If so, then yes, this absolutely embarrassing Game 1 lost is a big wake-up call for the entire Habs team, and hopefully gets them back into the "We're the underdogs. If we don't play a tight team game and give 110% on every shift, then we won't just lose; we'll get downright embarrassed." mode of thinking that helped them a lot against the Pens and the Caps I think.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 07:43 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Agree with Mr Lyle whether 10-0 or 1-0 at the end of 60min the Flyers still go up one in the series, hope and expect the Habs to adjust for game 2. This should instill some urgency. Another positive, happy there wasn't a "Who starts in goal next game?" thread started during the 2nd intermission hehehe.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:26 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

A blowout is better than a 2-1 heartbreaking loss

That means there will be a lot of adjustments to make, which is better for the rest of the series (as opposed to making a few adjustments for 1 game)

Plus it's a wake-up call

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:43 AM
mjolnir13

The announcers during Game 7 against the Pens said that they would have to adjust their game because both the Flyers and Bruins played a totally different style....from what I saw, it looked like they had the same game plan as the two previous series...

mjolnir13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:51 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
I think there is the potential for a huge drop off from the Flyers perspective.
Yes I agree. They're hot now.

They just clawed their way back from 3 - 0 deficit in a series, were down 3 - 0 to the Bruins in game 7, and then start this series with a 6 - 0 blow out. They've scored 10 goals and let in none in their last 5 periods.

They've peaked.

There's no way they can sustain such dominance. I expect a much much closer game 2, and the momentum will officially shift to our favor for games 3 and 4.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:52 AM
TheCH*

Yeah its an awesome thing. Would have sucked to be on the winning end of a 6-0 game. I pity Philly right now!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:54 AM
coolasprICE

oh, and it's not shellacking ...

it's sHALAKing

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:37 AM
FuriousBob

People are talking about how our habs are looking like the one from 93 but in fact it's the flyers who looks like them. In all possible scenario, they really had the easiest road to the ECF and we really had the hardest one. We will see how this will turn out and I think we will give them a challenge. I prefer loosing 6-0 than having a 3 goal lead and loose it (5-4 Washington). The team will pick it up, you have too much caracter in this team to not give a good fight.

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
That was complete domination. That's the worst loss this year since, oddly enough, the last time we lost to the Flyers, 6-2. Damn Bruins, if only they won...crap would have been so much easier.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

They can't delude themselves in thinking a few bad bounces cost them the game... Special teams didn't work. They need to go back to the drawing board regarding defensive coverage in our own zone. And the offence was non-existent.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Max Levine

A reporter asked MAB: "What do you think happened?". Bergeron kept thinking about it, repeating "What do I thinking happened". It's not as if the game was close and there was a turning point. He could have responded "the referee dropped the puck to start the game, that's what happened".

Some analyst mentioned the penalties that killed us. I beg to differ. I don't think the team was into it before Gomez penalty. Again, I saw too many players getting away from checks as if they were afraid of getting hurt. Hopefully, this game showed them that they had no reason to fear Flyers checks.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:13 AM
zx81

I'm wondering if there are many teams in the history of the NHL that lost a game (any of the games, just not game 1) by 6 goals and still won the series.

I bet this has not happened many times.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Komarov47

I think it will defenitely help us some way. Halak will be stronger like he did against the Caps when Martin took him off in the middle of the 2nd period. And maybe the Habs saw themselves too beautiful, they know now who they will face for at least 3 games, a hard fightin' team composed of warriors. Seeing Briere jump on Kosty when he hit Leino in the back make me wonder if Cammy, Gionta or Plekanec would have done the same in the same case. Anyway, i really believe the Habs will stand up, they never been so close to a stanley cup final, nobody would thought that they would play so well against great teams.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Turboflex*

I think it's a good wake up call that will re-focus them. I'd rather lose 6-0 in a write off than some 3-2 triple OT heartbreaker which is a big demoralizer.

The passing was sloppy, the shooting was sloppy, the goaltending was sloppy, the PK was sloppy, just brutal all around. We know they are better, they know they are better, too much time off obviously, it's not like they were playing without energy, it was just sloppy. Time to get back into focus.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:23 AM
maci4life

It's a good wake up call to all of the delusional habs fans on this board. They're turning into leaf's fans right in front of our faces.

see http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=776625 for proof.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
It's a good wake up call to all of the delusional habs fans on this board. They're turning into leaf's fans right in front of our faces.

see http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=776625 for proof.
Who cares? We don't need fake fans.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:46 AM
dapriceisright

in the end as already stated a loss is a loss. the only thing that differs from the previous series is that even when outplayed for a game we were had already showed we could compete with the opposition. game 1 pens obviously stands out here, but fatigue was an obvious factor in addition i think there was no loss of confidence as the pens were a similar style of play as the caps.

there was really no compete level on our side so i cant say there were many positives. if one had to breakdown the opposition's chances well, a few were PP goals that Gill could not align himself in the proper shooting lane, see briere and gagne (IRC). the faceoff goal that shouldnt have happened for JVR, and coburns which was a terrible penalty taken by gomez. so adjustments can be made in a hurry in that sense. yes the score was bad and the flyers dominated but you can somewhat breakdown the plays and say that it shouldnt have happened. i think there was a whole lot of rust that needed to be shed off, hopefully its a much tighter and regrouped bunch next game.

a cliche but we will badly need a split on the road. we cant get back on home ice with another poor performance where we start doubting our system, team philosophy....

dapriceisright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I don't mind it at all,if things will go wrong might as well all happen in the same game

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote