HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate advice needed: Vapor XXXX vs X:40

Old
05-25-2010, 04:20 PM
qwertysac

vCash: 500
Skate advice needed: Vapor XXXX vs X:40

I took a shot off my old Vapors XXIX and now they are done for. The boot cracked and no longer provides enough support when i push off.

I loved those skates and decided to go with the same skates again. Unfortunately, they're discontinued (?) and hard to find. I was able to track down a pair of Vapor XXXX instead, which i don't mind since it's practically the same skate.

What i'm wondering now is, should i go with the Vapor XXXX? or get the X:40's instead?

At the same price, which skate is the better purchase?

I'm always hearing how the XXXX are REALLY stiff. With my old XXIX i found them perfect for the first year, but later on after a bunch of games, i felt they weren't as stiff as they used to be and that they weren't providing enough support. So i'm assuming the stiffness of the vapor XXXX will be a good thing for me.

Also, the tongue on the XXXX is very hard, will it break in eventually and be more comfortable?

Any tips, advice or opinions about which skates to get is appreciated.

Thanks guys.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

the x40s are not as good as the xxxx

the xxxx are pretty stiff

the tongue is hard because there is a lace bite pad built into it, it will break in a little bit though after a little while of skating in them a bit

get a pair of xxxx if you still can

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl 30: 05-25-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:48 PM
SERE 24
LGR

X:40 is not basically the same skate as the XXXX.

The XXXX is basically the "last year's" version of the X:60.

The X:40 is a relatively significant downgrade. The X:50 falls in between and while the X:60 has plenty of little "upgrades" to try and sell you on the newer, more expensive skate, it is basically a re-designed XXXX.

The XXXX is an all around better skate than the X:40. Buy the XXXX unless you aren't a strong enough skater to warrant a top end skate. The XXXX was used by a ton of NHLers before the X:60s, One95s and TotalONEs came out.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote