HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings will "kick the tires on acquiring Ryan Miller"

Old
05-17-2010, 09:26 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

vCash: 500
Red Wings will "kick the tires on acquiring Ryan Miller"

Here we go again guys. yeah, Sabres will probably say no, but how long did Detroit kick Hasek's tires before the Sabres said yes?

Quote:
On WDIV's Sports Final Edition, correspondent and shift disturber Rob Parker issued what might become a common--and completely illogical, if not impossible--trade rumor among the Detroit media types who neither grasp the complexities of the salary cap nor want to wade their way through a relatively drama-free Red Wings off-season.

Parker suggested, in his "Clubhouse Confidential," that the Red Wings will kick the tires on acquiring Buffalo Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller, who sports a conveniently media-forgotten $6.2 million salary on a contract which runs through the 2013-2014 season.
http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010...ller_to_d.html

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:31 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Darcy will get a good laugh at this one.

My guess is that Regier will ask for Datsyuk & Zetterberg for Miller.

He might even through in Connolly.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zip15

vCash: 67
Was that link supposed to scare us into worrying that Miller may get traded? If anything, the only thing I gathered from that article is that the writer thinks that Parker is a moron who doesn't understand the salary cap. You need to calm down, man. You're making your life a lot more stressful than it has to be.

EDIT: And if Detroit wants Miller, it's going to cost them Howard + Helm/Abdelkaeder + Filpulla. In other words, there's no way that this deal would happen, because Detroit can't afford to part with those young assets. As the writer points out, why not go with the relatively proven rookie at 1/6 the cost of Miller?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Let me just say this if Datsyuk, Howard, and Kornwall gets it done, Miller see you later.

Old
05-17-2010, 09:32 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Darcy will get a good laugh at this one.

My guess is that Regier will ask for Datsyuk & Zetterberg for Miller.

He might even through in Connolly.
I would take Datsyuk, Howard, and Kronwall.

They might take it.

I think that would be a smart trade by Buffalo. You get a #1 center, you get a capable goalie with the chance to be a star, and you get a powerplay defensemen to replace Tallinder or Lydman. The biggest thing is you dont lose any money.

Last edited by SabresAreScaryGood: 05-17-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old
05-17-2010, 09:34 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
most NHL GMs will be "kicking the tires" on Miller this summer, just like most GMs will kick the tires of Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, and every other premier player in the NHL.

Detroit's cap structure is based around spending under 3 million for a goalie. With Howard's emergence this year, why would that change?

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:35 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post

They might take it.
Given that the Red Wings have never invested in a real "big money" #1 goalie and instead paid a lot for their defense corps, I'd be surprised if the Red Wings were interested in Miller's contract.

Now if Lidstrom retires and the Red Wings feel like they can't figure out a way to plug that hole, and they go in a direction that they haven't historically, then they MIGHT call about Miller.

But honestly, I can't see them getting Miller out of Buffalo.

Vokoun would seem like the more obvious trade target IF the Red Wings opt to go for a big money #1 goalie.

Old
05-17-2010, 09:36 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
most NHL GMs will be "kicking the tires" on Miller this summer, just like most GMs will kick the tires of Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, and every other premier player in the NHL.

Detroit's cap structure is based around spending under 3 million for a goalie. With Howard's emergence this year, why would that change?
Simple, Miller is an East Lansing boy.

I've never bought into the "Red Wings want Miller" thinking because they've never been a team that has had a "big money" goalie.

Old
05-17-2010, 09:38 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:

They might take it.
Regier is not going to trade Miller even for that package. He's too loyal to 'his guys.' He even admits this as a fault (which we can all plainly see). Miller is the lynch pin of the team he's built. Any deal, even involving Datsyuk, would be a white flag wrt to that, and I don't see that happening.

I see him moving out the usual suspects and slightly over-paying for them this off-season as a means by which to attack while Miller is in his prime. That's as far as he'll go.

Miller and Myers are untouchable. Ennis might be available at the right overpayment by a desperate GM. Everyone else is in play.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:40 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I have spoken with the source of this rumor, and it appears that the source also believes that:

--Buffalo will kick the tires on acquiring Patrick Kane
--Montreal will kick the tires on acquiring Vincent Lecavalier, Daniel Briere, and every other French Canadian
--Vancouver will kick the tires on acquiring Joe Sakic

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:41 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Given that the Red Wings have never invested in a real "big money" #1 goalie and instead paid a lot for their defense corps, I'd be surprised if the Red Wings were interested in Miller's contract.

Now if Lidstrom retires and the Red Wings feel like they can't figure out a way to plug that hole, and they go in a direction that they haven't historically, then they MIGHT call about Miller.

But honestly, I can't see them getting Miller out of Buffalo.

Vokoun would seem like the more obvious trade target IF the Red Wings opt to go for a big money #1 goalie.
Arent they having financial problems or attendance problems in Detroit? They havent been selling out games anymore, they may think they need that boost.

Old
05-17-2010, 09:43 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

Quote:
Simple, Miller is an East Lansing boy.

I've never bought into the "Red Wings want Miller" thinking because they've never been a team that has had a "big money" goalie.
They had Hasek, then after hasek they signed Joseph. Mike Vernon also led them to their first cup in 97, a "big money" goalie at the time.

My thought is right now, it makes no sense for detroit.

Old
05-17-2010, 09:47 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
They had Hasek, then after hasek they signed Joseph. Mike Vernon also led them to their first cup in 97, a "big money" goalie at the time.
That was pre-salary cap spending, though.

I think Hasek got like $2M or less in his salary cap era deal with Detroit.

Osgood has been their most expensive goalie since the lockout. This season the Wings spent $2.1M against the cap on Osgood & Howard COMBINED.

Miller & Howard would cost just under $7M against the cap and Miller & Osgood would be over $7.5M against the cap.

IF Lidstrom isn't back, the numbers might work. But, I don't see that being a direction that Detroit wants to go in.

Old
05-17-2010, 09:56 AM
joechip

Quote:
Arent they having financial problems or attendance problems in Detroit? They havent been selling out games anymore, they may think they need that boost.
B/C Detroit is a shell of itself as a city. The Wings have revenue far outside of their ticket sales and that's what helps drive their spending. Miller would be good marketing, but since people in Detroit can barely afford food, no less hockey tickets, I don't see them trying to pump gate sales as the right vector for boosting revenue.

Ta,

Old
05-17-2010, 09:58 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

Quote:
That was pre-salary cap spending, though.

I think Hasek got like $2M or less in his salary cap era deal with Detroit.

Osgood has been their most expensive goalie since the lockout. This season the Wings spent $2.1M against the cap on Osgood & Howard COMBINED.

Miller & Howard would cost just under $7M against the cap and Miller & Osgood would be over $7.5M against the cap.

IF Lidstrom isn't back, the numbers might work. But, I don't see that being a direction that Detroit wants to go in.
If Lidstrom retires, you have to think Detroit's first priority would be to go after a minute crunching d-man via UFA.

Old
05-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Was that link supposed to scare us into worrying that Miller may get traded? If anything, the only thing I gathered from that article is that the writer thinks that Parker is a moron who doesn't understand the salary cap. You need to calm down, man. You're making your life a lot more stressful than it has to be.

EDIT: And if Detroit wants Miller, it's going to cost them Howard + Helm/Abdelkaeder + Filpulla. In other words, there's no way that this deal would happen, because Detroit can't afford to part with those young assets. As the writer points out, why not go with the relatively proven rookie at 1/6 the cost of Miller?
What??? If Buffalo would accept that, Detroit would do it in a heartbeat... heck, they'd throw in a few picks as well...

Datsyuk, Howard, Kronwall.... that might tempt Buffalo...
or
Zetterberg, Howard, Franzen...

Buffalo can throw in Connolly

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
Regier is not going to trade Miller even for that package. He's too loyal to 'his guys.' He even admits this as a fault (which we can all plainly see). Miller is the lynch pin of the team he's built. Any deal, even involving Datsyuk, would be a white flag wrt to that, and I don't see that happening.

I see him moving out the usual suspects and slightly over-paying for them this off-season as a means by which to attack while Miller is in his prime. That's as far as he'll go.

Miller and Myers are untouchable. Ennis might be available at the right overpayment by a desperate GM. Everyone else is in play.

Ta,

I totally agree... it would never happen. But if for some crazy reason, Detroit offered Datsyuk, Kronwall, and Howard... for Miller... and Regier turned it down.... yikes, he should be tarred and feathered.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:11 AM
joechip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I totally agree... it would never happen. But if for some crazy reason, Detroit offered Datsyuk, Kronwall, and Howard... for Miller... and Regier turned it down.... yikes, he should be tarred and feathered.
Knowing Regier the deal would fall through b/c Holland wasn't willing to throw in a 4th rounder.

Ta,

Old
05-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Sabretip

The only response that any knowledgable hockey fan - be it of the Sabres, Redwings or otherwise - can draw from reading that absurd theory is that Eklund is now the station manager at WDIV in Detroit and writing copy for Rob Parker's hockey reports.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:23 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
Knowing Regier the deal would fall through b/c Holland wasn't willing to throw in a 4th rounder.

Ta,
I laughed.

Joking aside, He did the same thing with the Drury trade until Quinn said make the bleeping trade.

Old
05-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Seems to be a reporter's attempt to drum up something out of nothing. Howard was great for the Wings this year, they can live with him in net, inexpensive and productive, while they spend their money elsewhere.

05-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Sabretip

Quote:

Joking aside, He did the same thing with the Drury trade until Quinn said make the bleeping trade.
Not sure if the part about the 4th rounder is accurate or not but I recall a quote from Luce at the time of the trade that noted how he and Regier were each reluctant to trade their # 1 pick of 2002 (Ballard) even though they saw the value in Drury. I do remember that Quinn was the deciding voice though - he was even quoted in the aftermath as having consulted with Neil Smith about Drury.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Not sure if the part about the 4th rounder is accurate or not but I recall a quote from Luce at the time of the trade that noted how he and Regier were each reluctant to trade their # 1 pick of 2002 (Ballard) even though they saw the value in Drury. I do remember that Quinn was the deciding voice though - he was even quoted in the aftermath as having consulted with Neil Smith about Drury.
The story as recounted in the paper was Quinn and Smith went to dinner, he slipped a piece of paper over to Smith with a couple names on it and asked who Smith would get. Neil advised Drury.

One point to that -- it wouldn't hurt to have an outside consultant who knows hockey occassionally looking in on things as part of their review process. And a second -- I've always wondered who the hell else was on the list?

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Mellifleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
What??? If Buffalo would accept that, Detroit would do it in a heartbeat... heck, they'd throw in a few picks as well...

Datsyuk, Howard, Kronwall.... that might tempt Buffalo...
or
Zetterberg, Howard, Franzen...

Buffalo can throw in Connolly
I'd like these 3 please...

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:29 AM
buffalowing88

I was actually going to start a thread on a similar note but this sort of captured the idea. I've been looking back lately and perhaps we do put too much emphasis on having Miller. Of all the cup winners since the lockout, and the potential ones this year, none of those teams had to rely on goaltending to win them every game. Hell, a lot of these successful teams will ride a mediocre goalie and put bigger emphasis on the skaters.

The Sabres have put everything on Miller's shoulders and although I realize this would never happen and probably wouldn't want it to anyways, trading him for a legit 1st line center and a 2nd pairing D-Man plus goalie prospect would make this team better.

The margin of difference between an elite goalie and an above average veteran (Biron?) is not as substantial as we like to believe. The Red Wings won a cup in 08 with Osgood, the Pens did so the next year with Fleury. These guys are not much better than Biron. They were successful because of the skaters they has out there, not because of their goaltending....So just a thought that maybe our priorities are in the wrong place...but than again when you have arguably the world's best goalie, you don't complain.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote