HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Red Wings will "kick the tires on acquiring Ryan Miller"

Old
05-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
I was actually going to start a thread on a similar note but this sort of captured the idea. I've been looking back lately and perhaps we do put too much emphasis on having Miller. Of all the cup winners since the lockout, and the potential ones this year, none of those teams had to rely on goaltending to win them every game. Hell, a lot of these successful teams will ride a mediocre goalie and put bigger emphasis on the skaters.

The Sabres have put everything on Miller's shoulders and although I realize this would never happen and probably wouldn't want it to anyways, trading him for a legit 1st line center and a 2nd pairing D-Man plus goalie prospect would make this team better.

The margin of difference between an elite goalie and an above average veteran (Biron?) is not as substantial as we like to believe. The Red Wings won a cup in 08 with Osgood, the Pens did so the next year with Fleury. These guys are not much better than Biron. They were successful because of the skaters they has out there, not because of their goaltending....So just a thought that maybe our priorities are in the wrong place...but than again when you have arguably the world's best goalie, you don't complain.
The Wings and Pens won Cups because they had some of the best positional players in hockey (Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom / Crosby, Malkin, Staal) who are way beyond what the Sabres have down the middle and dealing Miller isn't going to change that.

05-17-2010, 11:36 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
not that this will ever happen, but if Michael Leighton can be shutting out teams in the ECF....

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:37 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
I was actually going to start a thread on a similar note but this sort of captured the idea. I've been looking back lately and perhaps we do put too much emphasis on having Miller. Of all the cup winners since the lockout, and the potential ones this year, none of those teams had to rely on goaltending to win them every game. Hell, a lot of these successful teams will ride a mediocre goalie and put bigger emphasis on the skaters.

The Sabres have put everything on Miller's shoulders and although I realize this would never happen and probably wouldn't want it to anyways, trading him for a legit 1st line center and a 2nd pairing D-Man plus goalie prospect would make this team better.

The margin of difference between an elite goalie and an above average veteran (Biron?) is not as substantial as we like to believe. The Red Wings won a cup in 08 with Osgood, the Pens did so the next year with Fleury. These guys are not much better than Biron. They were successful because of the skaters they has out there, not because of their goaltending....So just a thought that maybe our priorities are in the wrong place...but than again when you have arguably the world's best goalie, you don't complain.
And Miller wasnt exactly great when the Sabres were really good. Miller had average numbers.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:50 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
not that this will ever happen, but if Michael Leighton can be shutting out teams in the ECF....
I'm not really sure what your point is. Care to elaborate?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:56 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
If Lidstrom retires, you have to think Detroit's first priority would be to go after a minute crunching d-man via UFA.
I don't see anyone that is anywhere near Lidstrom's level that's going to be on the UFA market this summer.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I don't see anyone that is anywhere near Lidstrom's level that's going to be on the UFA market this summer.
Yet there is a lanky Swede who might be a fit for how they play available via UFA on July 1st....

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:19 PM
CaptPantalones

Unless they will do Zetterberg+ Howard+ a defenseman, it wont happen

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Rob Parker is the biggest clown in Detroit. He has no inside info. You can ignore this.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:02 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm not really sure what your point is. Care to elaborate?
That from an on ice standpoint, having an elite goalie is overrated and if dealing Miller improved the team, I don't think I'd be against it.

That being said, trading Miller would be the dumbest thing the franchise could ever do, with the exposure and visibility he has.

So really, I have no point.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Arular

What about Howard?

Arular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Koster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Here we go again guys. yeah, Sabres will probably say no, but how long did Detroit kick Hasek's tires before the Sabres said yes?

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010...ller_to_d.html
This is an absolute joke, Ryan Miller is not going anywhere

If the Red Wings want Ryan Miller that much it would take a massive overpayment to pry Ryan Miller away

My Price Tag on Ryan Miller would be a pretty steep one but with Jhonas Enroth in the Pipeline, the Price Tag is still a steep one

It would probably take

C Henrik Zetterberg + C Darren Helm + D Niklas Kronwall + D Brendan Smith (Bluechip Prospect) + G Thomas McCollum (Bluechip Prospect) + Detroit Red Wings 2010 1st Round Pick + Detroit Red Wings 2010 3rd Round Pick

For

G Ryan Miller + C Tim Connolly

The Reasons Why I Make This Deal

Fills the needs of a

- Number One Center
- Nasty Complete Defenseman who can play on both sides of the rink
- Darren Helm gives us a solid two way Checking Center who can play with Patty Kaleta
- Restocks the Cupboards and with McCollum it now gives us a greater chance to replace Ryan Miller sooner then later
- With a Second First Round Pick in 2010 and an extra 3rd Round Pick in 2010(That would give us four 3rds in total in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft) we can move up in the Top Ten in the NHL Entry Draft to get Skinner or Trade it in a package for a position we are weak at EX. probably still a Puck Moving Defeseman(PMD)
- Brendan Smith is a tough SOB and compares to Kronwall actually imagine two Niklas Kronwalls on the backend with Myers+ Weber and McNabb for years to come

Imagine the 2011-2012 Buffalo Sabres

Forwards

Thomas Vanek-Henrik Zetterberg-Zack Kassian
Tyler Ennis-Jeff Skinner-Jason Pominville
Paul Gaustad-Luke Adam-Derek Roy
Patrick Kaleta-Darren Helm-Drew Stafford
X 13th Forward Nathan Gerbe

Defense

Tyler Myers-Niklas Kronwall
Brendan Smith-Dylan McIlrath
Brayden McNabb-Mike Weber
X 7th Defenseman Alex Biega

Goalies

1A/ Jhonas Enroth
1B/ Thomas McCollum
X Call Up Connor Knapp

Thoughts on my Price Tag for Ryan Miller? Do you think Detroit makes this Deal? Thoughts on the My Line Up two years from now?

Koster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:51 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Except Nieds.

TBH, there are few players in the history of the NHL that match up with Lidstrom.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:56 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
Except Nieds.

TBH, there are few players in the history of the NHL that match up with Lidstrom.

Ta,
I don't think he's going to be on the market this summer.

He's either hanging them up or re-signing with the Ducks.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:57 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
I don't think he's going to be on the market this summer.

He's either hanging them up or re-signing with the Ducks.
Same with Lidstrom. I don't consider him 'on the market' either for the same reasons.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 03:40 PM
DangleDangleBeach

i love the fact that you guys actually think wings management / fans would ever even consider these trades. i wouldnt give you dats or zberg straight up for miller and you want....

datsyuk howard and kronwall.....

or zetterberg franzen and howie? GET REAL.... LMAO

what are you guys smoking crack? i wouldnt trade you dats/z and howie let alone those threesomes for a goalie howie is our guy we dont need miller by any means. keep wishing buffalo fans.... kenny holland would never part with any of those players you have listed. zberg, franzen, dats, FOR SURE will be red wings for life.... and kronwall and howie hav a good shot at it too.

howards our goalie @ 700k next year you guys can have miller at 6.5

DangleDangleBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Dabs21Nike

That's why these aren't serious proposals. The Sabres won't trade Miller for anything unless the other team is giving us a deal thats too good to be true. We're not saying the Sabres should offer these trades by any means. I thought the sarcasm was clear over the last 2 pages, but apparently not, so I hope this clears that up.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangleDangleBeach View Post
i love the fact that you guys actually think wings management / fans would ever even consider these trades.
We don't actually.

Old
05-17-2010, 03:46 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Remember, on HFBoards if the "" isn't included, it's 110% serious business.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 03:53 PM
DangleDangleBeach

sfjsfs

Old
05-17-2010, 03:55 PM
DangleDangleBeach

ohh ok i wasnt picking up on the sarcasm through my computer screen.

anytime z or dats are in the mix of a trade i just freak out.... those are our guys haha

Old
05-17-2010, 03:56 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
ohh ok i wasnt picking up on the sarcasm through my computer screen.

anytime z or dats are in the mix of a trade i just freak out.... those are our guys haha
I honestly thought that when this thread showed up someone was dredging up a thread from the year Miller was a UFA to be.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I think we're all pretty sure Rob Parker is an idiot.

Old
05-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Arular

Quote:
keep wishing buffalo fans....
What? You really think Sabres fans are hoping that the Wings want to acquire Miller? No.

Arular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:20 PM
DangleDangleBeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arular View Post
What? You really think Sabres fans are hoping that the Wings want to acquire Miller? No.

i would rather have zetterberg franzen and howard like you guys were saying.... or datsyuk howard and kronwall any day. howard was our man all year, not on millers level but at some time he may be and he is damn good already. with that being said, i would rather have a top 10 center in the league (dats/z), solid offensive defensemen/ or solid sniper (franzen) and a calder finalist goalie who was still among the leaders of the league in GAA and SP. thats just me though... especially if the wings WERE really going to overpay and give prospects like smith and mccollum then that deal would be IMPOSSIBLE to pass up.

millers the man, i have watched him since East Lansing and he has always been the man but he doesnt fit here mostly because of his contract. wings wouldnt take a goalie contract like that... but in reality ill bet he wouldnt mind coming to play here with his little bro playing for the team he grew up watching and we would love to have him but its not logical as fun as it is to speculate

Old
05-17-2010, 04:30 PM
rabi

Let him go and lets see what Enroth can do...

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote