HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Is it rude to practice where private lessons are being held on the ice?

Old
05-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Is it rude to practice where private lessons are being held on the ice?

The admission is 12$ to do stick and puck, or called stick time for Californians. It seems EVERY time i go out on the ice half the rink is taken by some dumb @$$ goalie being coached. And the other half is also being used because another goalie is being shot by a round robin of players who is also being coached. So the public are forced to play in the neutral zone the 15 of us. Yah imagine! hectic right?

So how would they feel if I practice in one end of the ice and not giving a care that the coach is coaching, am I in the wrong for feeling this way?. Im paying good money like the rest of em, a matter of fact im prolly paying more than the rink is getting from the coach and player. So what the heck?

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
That sounds pretty ridiculous to me. I would first say something to the management at the rink about it and see what they do before you start going by them, but if nothing is done, I would just skate wherever you wanted to.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:45 PM
jsykes

Yup, entire ice is open, just use it as you want. If they *****, they can talk to management about you and let them come to you and tell you that you cant do what you're paying for. It wont happen.

More than likely, what is happening, its a group of people using the stick time to coach instead of renting ice at the normal rate. Get in on the coaching or use the space as you wish and make them explain to you why you cant do what you're paying for.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:52 PM
macgyverthatshiz

Just skate in suicide style like a maniac with the stick in the air towards the goalie and scare the crap out of him and the coach. Just kidding, seriously though, you paid for the ice time so it is yours just as much as it is theirs. You paid, you skate.

macgyverthatshiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Skraut

Ask for an $8 discount since you only get to use 1/3rd of the ice.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyverthatshiz View Post
Just skate in suicide style like a maniac with the stick in the air towards the goalie and scare the crap out of him and the coach. Just kidding, seriously though, you paid for the ice time so it is yours just as much as it is theirs. You paid, you skate.
Just ask politely if they mind you practicing "running the goalie".

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 06:39 PM
SiouxPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Ask for an $8 discount since you only get to use 1/3rd of the ice.
lmao, i like this guy !

But ya, depending what kinda guy you are, ask them , or just go... but if your wife didnt make your sandwhich and youre in a crappy mood, the high sticking and maniac skating seems like the choice aha, im only kidding, but you payed for the ice, you use it brother !

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Gino 14

Before you pay the next time, verify that you're paying for open ice time. If there are goalies in net warn them that you intend to use the nets and then do it. If you warn them and they ignore you, let a few shots go wide to let them know you are serious. Don't shoot at a goalie that's not looking, but once they have been warned and know you're not going to back down, either they'll let you shoot or they can go cry to management, their choice. Your money spends just like theirs.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:04 PM
frito

What all do you want to work on? Do you want to work on stickhandling, skating, shooting or a combination of any or all of the above? If you want to work on a combinatoin maybe you could work something out with the goalie and coach that you do your skating/stickhandling stuff first and then your shooting. Your shooting practice could be on a live goalie which could potentially help both of you.

Another alternative is to ask management to put a few more nets out there and have the private lessons be done around the nets at center ice so the rest of you can have one or both of the zones.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:38 PM
dabeechman

Valley Ice does that crap too. Frustrates the **** out of me.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:48 PM
blueberrydanish

Well if both creases are being taken up for lessons at a public time, yes, that is ridiculous. I would suggest asking them to just use the boards near the center to be their back stop for practice, and if your rink has an extra net or two sure they wouldnt mind throwin it out there for them to use at center ice up against the boards.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:36 PM
motalar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Valley Ice does that crap too. Frustrates the **** out of me.
Happens to me on a regular basis at Iceoplex too, unless I go to the 6am sticktime. It sucks.

motalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 12:40 AM
gogio57

i have the same problem, im new so i was scared to ask them to move, just skate around them and be respectful but I asked the zamboni guy to grab me and extra net and I put it near the neutral zone and kinda made it my own. or ask the management like everyone else said.

gogio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 01:00 AM
nullterm

Weird. Stick n puck here have strict no goalie rules. Safety concern regarding the goalies. Apparently they had a couple cases of goalies taking hard shots from behind.

They do however invite goalies to skate for free during power skating sessions so the skaters have a goalie to shoot on for drills.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
What all do you want to work on? Do you want to work on stickhandling, skating, shooting or a combination of any or all of the above? If you want to work on a combinatoin maybe you could work something out with the goalie and coach that you do your skating/stickhandling stuff first and then your shooting. Your shooting practice could be on a live goalie which could potentially help both of you.

Another alternative is to ask management to put a few more nets out there and have the private lessons be done around the nets at center ice so the rest of you can have one or both of the zones.
I thought about that, but these goalies and players that take up the ice on public stick times are LA Selects kids who are trying to get into WHL or something and feel they own the establishment. So I'm not to sure if i will go auto bad terms with the coach and owners and end up burning a whole in the situation.

It should still be alright for us to play anywhere on the ice regardless of them being on the travel team right?

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Ribosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
It should still be alright for us to play anywhere on the ice regardless of them being on the travel team right?
Yes.

Tell their elitist ***** that its open ice. Whenever this has happened to me I just go and take my own shots. Only once have I had a problem, and I just told the guy that it was open ice. It's everyone ice so get out of the crease if you don't want me shooting at you.

Ribosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Badger36

You paid for the ice time, so you can skate where you want as long as you arent getting in the way of other people who are out on the ice.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Lario Melieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Before you pay the next time, verify that you're paying for open ice time. If there are goalies in net warn them that you intend to use the nets and then do it. If you warn them and they ignore you, let a few shots go wide to let them know you are serious. Don't shoot at a goalie that's not looking, but once they have been warned and know you're not going to back down, either they'll let you shoot or they can go cry to management, their choice. Your money spends just like theirs.
Yep. That's what I would do. Just politely let him know that you will be practicing on the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogio57 View Post
i have the same problem, im new so i was scared to ask them to move, just skate around them and be respectful but I asked the zamboni guy to grab me and extra net and I put it near the neutral zone and kinda made it my own. or ask the management like everyone else said.
That's a good idea.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Weird. Stick n puck here have strict no goalie rules. Safety concern regarding the goalies. Apparently they had a couple cases of goalies taking hard shots from behind.
This a problem where I'm at. It's so packed during the summer with High School kids that pucks are flying all over the place.

I was once skating into the net and some hot shot U18 player took a shot and hit me in my back. I acted like it was fine then went up to him and threw him to the ice by his cage. He got the message real quick.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 05:31 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
tell the person running it that you intend to shoot or whatever. If they say no, don't take it for a answer and say your gonna make full use of your 12$. Go in take a few shots and stuff and if there mad. Ignore them. You paid 12$ for open ice not 1/3 open ice. just don't piss off others on the ice.

gojacketsgo61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
The admission is 12$ to do stick and puck, or called stick time for Californians. It seems EVERY time i go out on the ice half the rink is taken by some dumb @$$ goalie being coached. And the other half is also being used because another goalie is being shot by a round robin of players who is also being coached. So the public are forced to play in the neutral zone the 15 of us. Yah imagine! hectic right?

So how would they feel if I practice in one end of the ice and not giving a care that the coach is coaching, am I in the wrong for feeling this way?. Im paying good money like the rest of em, a matter of fact im prolly paying more than the rink is getting from the coach and player. So what the heck?
We had one here once where there were tons of people using it. It is what it is and yes when there are goalies there it can be a nuisance. Usually the rink gets split into thirds where some practice and some make a small scrimmage of 3 on 3 in the nuetral zone.

I do not stick n puck hardly ever because of this and if you have to for a lack of ice and rinks make the best of it I guess because there is no way you can win.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Hermit Wizard Eater

It depends. Are they selling just that area of ice? Are the other coaches and goalies paying for their own special ice?

If the coaches and goalies are paying the same, then I imagine that you're welcome to also use that space.

If they're not though, then you got what you paid for.

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote