HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

I'm a contrarian!

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2004, 02:18 PM
guzmania

vCash: 500
I'm a contrarian!

I feel that Roman Cechmanek deserves a second look. He needs to be in better shape. Before his first injury, his performance was more than acceptable. I just don't think that there should be a knee-jerk reaction related to what I admit was a disappointing year. He gets another season to prove he should be here.

There are a couple of defensemen that are almost universally discounted that I am not sure deserve the bad-mouth. Holland and Kuznetsov might yet develop themselves into players that can hold down regular assignments in the NHL. Defense is a difficult possition to learn. They have been improving. They may have value in the trade market once the younger guys prove they can handle the NHL roles. Both guys need to work hard, and Maxim needs to be in shape and in camp in August.

One of the favorites on the team has done very little as far as I'm concerned. Eric Belanger should be traded as soon as possible. He is not the defensive force that he's been touted to be. He sure will never be an offensive force, his 2 chances have been disasterous. We need to make room for the real talent that is ready to join the team.

I would not sign Lappy unless it was easy. He's been one of my favorites and is a leader, but the years have taken their toll on this guy. Best of luck Lapster!

I would sign Carter and let him find a comfort zone here after camp. There is still an upside to a guy we knew had had streaky times in the past. That last streak was really ill-timed.

I would also sign Straka. He is a guy that plays hard. He also can plug in a bunch of places.

Modry is BUH-Bye!

Kanko could play up here next year. Oh, I know there are so many reasons why Manchester is right for him, but some guys just can play. I think he's one of those guys. His feisty attitude (if allowed to exist within a system only a euro could love) is one of the things that this team needs.

We don't need to rebuild, we have not finnished our previous rebuild. We are just finding the fruits of being patient with our youth. Gleason, Kanko, Brown, Camillerri, Rome, Petoit, Barney and will soon be playing with or as our top units.

Just a question, does anyone think our team, as coached last year, could compete in the western finals we're watching now? I sure don't. There is a Blood and Guts brand of hockey that must be played to win the cup. It is not just skill, it's playing like Chelios and Tucker. Sure, their teams are out now, but they've set the table.

Last but not least I predict that there will be a very short work action if any work action. There are times for strikes and times when you hold and roll. This is a time to find balance for both sides. "Can't we just get along!"

Old
05-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

You're killing me Smalls!

I don't think I can stand to see Carter float around for a full season.

Lappy deserves to be paid. He has given his heart and soul to this team. I would rather see Lappy play 1 game at 3 mil than Carter play 82.

Chechmanek does deserve another shot. Unless, we can get an "elite" netminder; then I don't care

Agree about Straka

Kuznetsov will never make it. He's slow, and he just doesn't have the head to play defense.

I don't think it's a total coincidence that the team lost 11 straight with Holland out of the lineup.

We really don't have a replacement for Belanger waiting in the wings...yet. Hopefully we will sign Madden or Rolston, and that will be taken care of. I do believe that he will rebound next year, but he still is better than either of the them, and thus expendable.

Quote:
Just a question, does anyone think our team, as coached last year, could compete in the western finals we're watching now? I sure don't. There is a Blood and Guts brand of hockey that must be played to win the cup. It is not just skill, it's playing like Chelios and Tucker. Sure, their teams are out now, but they've set the table.
I don't know which team you were watching last year, but that is pretty much how we played up until Carter came. We were a very similar team to the Flames. In fact, it makes me mad seeing them in the Conference Finals because it could have easily been us.

Does Andy Murray use enforcers and tough guys regularly? No, but he does demand physical play. Why do you think that we had all of the injuries? We are a very physical "team"(except for a few players) that could have competed in the playoffs.

Old
05-10-2004, 02:42 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
Before his first injury, his performance was more than acceptable.

no he wasn't. prior to his injury i and many others have already said this guy blows goats. in fact, i think it was already the general consensus, except a few people who wanted to "give him a chance". i remember after he got his first injury, cechmanek sympathizers saying "i sure hope that nobody is happy that cechmanek got hurt becuase even though you guys hate him, he's still a king." people hated him that much by then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
I just don't think that there should be a knee-jerk reaction related to what I admit was a disappointing year. He gets another season to prove he should be here.
knee jerk reaction? this guy sucked the WHOLE year, where's the knee jerk reaction? it's more like how many punches in the face will you take before you freaking duck. this guy is the worst goalie i've seen since storr on his bad days. granted, our defense was weak this year, but he's a goalie that is supposed to win us some games. i can maybe think of one or two where he played a significant enough role to help us win. even then, he wasn't the "reason" we won, just played a good game. and huet performed just as well as and better then cechmanek in most of his game.

Old
05-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
knee jerk reaction? this guy sucked the WHOLE year, where's the knee jerk reaction?
He was just behind Brodeur in shutouts before the injury.

Of course he had some bad games, but just for the record, Khabibulin had more than his fair share of duff games as well.

I think more than anything, people are just uncomfortable with his style. His flopping makes me very nervous as well, and he is just not quick enough to recover like Hasek could.

Old
05-10-2004, 03:40 PM
tomd

Mr. Guzmaniac,

I agree with everything you said except the part about us not being able to compete in the conference finals. except for that silly little losing streak at the end of the year, we'd be in the finals right now! next year, Anson Carter will be our Jerome Iginla and Roman Cechmanek will be our Mikka Kiprusoff. get your season seats now!

Very Sincerely,

Tim Leiweke

Old
05-10-2004, 03:55 PM
maximil

Cechmanek is going to be better next season. If this guy wants to stay in the NHL he needs to get into better shape and start playing a more level headed consistant game. I think his past successes speak for themselves and I am willing to let him prove last season was a fluke. The bottom line is the Kings already have him signed and nobody is going to accept him in a trade.

I don't really like Kuznetsov. I was disgusted that he wasn't able to attend training camp. He needs to realize that his time is up. I wouldn't mind seeing him at camp next season but if he wants a deal he better show that he's ready to earn it.

Holland I do like. I don't think he's anything more than a journey man but he did a respectable job last season. I'd have no problem offering him a 2-way contract and I think that he would appriciate it and see some time in the NHL.

A lot of people are down on Belanger and I agree that we have probably seen the limit of what he can contribute in the NHL. It just depends how confident management is in guys like Pirnes, Avery, and Cammalleri. Pirnes has only been in the NHL for one season and played a limited role. Remeber how excited people were when Belanger showed he could play?

I agree about Lapperiere completely although it pains me to say it.

I think Carter is going to be better, and I really don't think he's going to be THAT expensive to sign after last seasons debacle. Remeber the trouble Kovalev was having until he snapped out of his funk during the play-offs? Something about the NYR really screws people up. It won't be that easy for Carter but if anyone is going to give him a chance it's the Kings.

No doubt Straka is talented. I think playing him with some bigger line mates would be helpful.

Kanko will get his shot as will the rest of our prospects. I'm confident the Kings will ice the best team possible. As long as the vets can beat out the youth the prospects will continue to develop their game in Manchester. It's also my impression that contract status and seniority have a lot to do with who will be starting the season in the NHL.

After watching the play-offs I think it's fair to say that the 2003-2004 LA Kings were not good enough to be competitive this year. Nashville and Calgary both have looked pretty good.

I don't know enough about the lockout issues to comment but just think, what good is owning a team that doesn't exist and how long are the players going to be able to pay their bills before they run out of income?

Here's hoping for a quick resolution so nobody suffers hard times. Especially me!

Old
05-10-2004, 04:17 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
He was just behind Brodeur in shutouts before the injury.

Of course he had some bad games, but just for the record, Khabibulin had more than his fair share of duff games as well.

I think more than anything, people are just uncomfortable with his style. His flopping makes me very nervous as well, and he is just not quick enough to recover like Hasek could.

i dont get people who say that we are "just uncomfortable with his style". If it's completely true that it is "just his style" then his stats should be used as support. But what do we have? We have a goalie with bad style AND bad stats. One is enough, I don't need another.

Huet at least has good style and numbers that make him better then cechmanek. Cechmanek only has "he'll do better next year when he's in shape." sorry if i'm not convinced

Old
05-10-2004, 08:23 PM
KINGLEWOOD

My thoughts for the offseason:

To me the Cechmanek issue can go either way, yeah I'm sure he can bounce back and have a good year but I wouldn't be upset if the Kings buy out his contract.

There are a couple of teams such as Washington, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and possibly Chicago who have good depth in goal and I'm sure DT can work something out for a good young goaltender.

I think Straka will have a good season next year especially with Palffy back. As for Carter I think he should take a bit of a pay cut and sign a one year deal with incentives, I'm sure a fresh start will only help him he just needs to develop some chemestry.

DT stated that he wants to add more speed to the line up and I think that one of the reasons we had problems with San Jose this year, UFA's that come to mind -

(fowards) (Defense)
Murray Schneider
Bondra Zhitnik
Kovalev? Numminen
Nedved
Nylander
Zhamnov
Kariya
Rolston
J.Madden

Keep in mind if Deader retires and Allison walks the Kings will have about 10million to spend on 2 maybe 3 players.

I think the Kings are doing the right thing in slowly adding young players to the lineup guys like Kanko, Barney, Brown, Lehoux, Cammalleri, Gleason and Grebeshkov will get time next year. We've got the 11th overall pick and I hope to add another great prospect who will be a bright part of the Kings future.

No doubt things will change next year but ultimately if the Kings don't get good goaltending next year then they might as well rebuild completely, look at San Jose, Calgary, Tampa, and Philly they are getting good goaltending and that is the name of the game today, a team goes as far as their goaltenders take them, and Romans got a bigger question mark than he had a year ago.

Old
05-10-2004, 11:37 PM
swinginutter*

We really have a sympathetic fan base here, and that's cool..........but nothing is happening! Are we really the place to give everybody a second and third chance to redeem their hockey careers. Cechmanek had enough tonic to not only redeem himself to Philly but the NHL as a whole. His attitude just plain sucks, and it makes his heart-attack goaltending even worse. Ship his ass out!

Just look at how Lacroix pulls the trigger in Colorado. Some deals go South, just like everybody's in the league. But does he hang on to the cancer.....Hell no! He moves quick and even though he may have lost someone strong in that deal, he doesn't justify it by having the mindset to keep the new guy. That's exactly the attitude here. Well, we gave up Aulin? So we should keep Carter! Doesn't make sense to me.

As for Guz's comments on where we would be in the post-season today. We'd already be done and I agree 100% on our physicality. There is none! Yes we're a very hard working team, but it doesn't translate into being a physical force. We wouldn't even have a goaltender past game 2, because he'd be run over constantly and our players would just skate by!

What is the true formula in this league to win a title? For me especially in the NHL today is to start from the back and then up. Post season every year usually goes in the way of a ***** hot goaltender and special teams. Everybody can try and follow every years SC winner and go stir crazy on shuffling around looking for instant answers. But it's a big puzzle, and really strong goaltending is a huge piece in that puzzle. Lots of answers need to be solved this summer! Cecho isn't one of them. He may lose some weight but he definitely won't lose that destructive personality on the ice, which will cost us big games..........mark my words!

Old
05-10-2004, 11:54 PM
zeppelin97

I think chechmanek is ok. He's the best kings goalie since...hrudey (hrudey was kinda ho-hum). Chech makes stupid errant decisions, thats why he sucks at times. But on the other hand Huet sucked at times only because he just plained sucked. I noticed huet is just too small in net as snipers can pick the corners quite easily. he seems to lack quickness. If the kings could get noronen or grahame, then i'd be tempted to keep chech and dump huet.

I'd rather pursue Glen Murray than re-sign Carter. kings have too many wingers and need a #1 centerman. I'm hoping that the Kings can somehow get Weight out of St Louis (and eat a 1/3 of his bloated salary), who i hope is dumping payroll.

Not too sure if Schneider would want to return to the kings, but if he does he more than deserves a No Trade Clause.

Old
05-11-2004, 09:33 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
Just look at how Lacroix pulls the trigger in Colorado. Some deals go South, just like everybody's in the league. But does he hang on to the cancer.....Hell no! He moves quick and even though he may have lost someone strong in that deal, he doesn't justify it by having the mindset to keep the new guy. That's exactly the attitude here. Well, we gave up Aulin? So we should keep Carter! Doesn't make sense to me.
it's that mentality that has left Lacroix's cupboard bare. he's traded away all his best prospects, he's traded most of his youngsters, and ended up with very little in the end. I mean drury for morris for gratton. just cuase they suck one year doens't mean you gota throw them out so quickly.

also, one reason lacroix can afford to do this is cause he has a stanley cup contending team. we don't. their window of opportunity is closin in every year. once these next few years pass, they won't have any choice but to rebuild. the kings, on the other hand, is in no rush like lacroix to get effective players becuase we're not goin for the cup. we're just goin for playoffs right now and hopefully we can develop into a better team. i still say we resign carter and give him one year's chance. if we give him up, that's like giving up aulin for nothing.

Old
05-11-2004, 09:44 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin97
I think chechmanek is ok. He's the best kings goalie since...hrudey (hrudey was kinda ho-hum).
best goalie since hrudey? i'd take a shakey potvin over cechmanek. i'd DEFINATELY take huet over cechmanek. fiset easily over cechmanek. and as much as you'd laugh, i'd even take jamie storr as a starter over cechmanek.

cechmanek is the worst goalie this team has ever had. even if he bounceed back next year to a top 10 goaltender, i'd still want his ass gone. he's unpredictable, he's expensive, he's inconsistent, he has bad form, he scores on himself, he sucks at far shots, he sucks at close shots, he sucks at moving side to side, he sucks at controlling the puck, he sucks in big games, he sucks more on non-imoprtant games, and he sucks at the goalie mind game.

if they would allow us to put a shooter tutor in net instead of cechmanek, i'd be crying from joy. but at least we have huet, who is two times what cechmanek is.

Old
05-11-2004, 10:03 AM
guzmania

Quote:
i'd even take jamie storr as a starter over cechmanek
:lol

I was trying to stay with you. I understand your pain but maybe you're "one toke over" with this statement. Roman's first season was very disappointing, and I think he would agree with that statement. But he is not going to be traded because there is no market for him, and so, no return for us. So that means we have to pull for him to turn his disappointment into a good season. He has been an elite goaltender before and last year was probably an aberation. And if it wasn't, then it is just our bad luck, because with the healthy team in place he would have been and will be an important asset.

Old
05-11-2004, 09:37 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
it's that mentality that has left Lacroix's cupboard bare. he's traded away all his best prospects, he's traded most of his youngsters, and ended up with very little in the end. I mean drury for morris for gratton. just cuase they suck one year doens't mean you gota throw them out so quickly.

also, one reason lacroix can afford to do this is cause he has a stanley cup contending team. we don't. their window of opportunity is closin in every year. once these next few years pass, they won't have any choice but to rebuild. the kings, on the other hand, is in no rush like lacroix to get effective players becuase we're not goin for the cup. we're just goin for playoffs right now and hopefully we can develop into a better team. i still say we resign carter and give him one year's chance. if we give him up, that's like giving up aulin for nothing.
I'm really starting to believe that no matter what I say, you'll come up with some sh*ite to counter.........no problem. Cupboard bare? Yeah, but look at the core! And, they seem to have no problem drafting every year........***** there 8th rounders turn out to be gems. Every year in Colorado someone comes through that nobody has heard about.........that's an amazing wealth of talent, and great scouting!
Next few years's pass? You know how long everybody has been saying that about Detroit..........Boom all of sudden they end up with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Fischer, Hudler, Bykov, etc........Believe me Colorado and Detroit will always be fine, because they're front office will do whatever it takes to bring home a winner. What's the point of this whole league if you're not shooting for Lord Stanley........Just the playoffs, are you kidding me or what. Tell that to the players and see what they tell you!
I really thought you were one of the Carter bashers, but I guess i'm wrong. He just had abdominal surgery today, so most of you that like him will at least now have an excuse. We gave up Aulin, yeah i'm bummed. But does that mean Anson becomes Craig Johnson part II..........no thanks!

Old
05-11-2004, 10:58 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
I'm really starting to believe that no matter what I say, you'll come up with some sh*ite to counter.........no problem.
do you really think i give twice a look at who i'm responding to? i respond to the post, not the user. heck, i didnt even know i was responding to you, but it's nice to be remembered . i just happen to disagree with you on many issues. come to think of it, i dont think we agree on anything but cechmanek. why should that matter to you? i'ts just opinion. many people i dont agree with, no idea why you take it to the heart, i'm just speakin my mind.

Quote:
Cupboard bare? Yeah, but look at the core! And, they seem to have no problem drafting every year........***** there 8th rounders turn out to be gems. Every year in Colorado someone comes through that nobody has heard about.........that's an amazing wealth of talent, and great scouting!
i don't think the avs are as great in drafting as the wings. sure they got their share of great late picks, but i dont think you can call them draft stealers like the wings. as for their core, they got sakic (who is getting to his aging years), tanguay (young), hejduk (young), forsberg (gone very soon), blake (gettin older), and aebischer (who may be traded out from how disgruntled Avs fans are w/ him). as for prospects, they ahve very very few to be proud about from what I read on hockey future. i'm not counting them out now, but i'm saying that this year most likely marks the beginning of their decline and the ascension of other teams dominance. probably within 4-5 years they'll be forced to do a full rebuild.

Quote:
Next few years's pass? You know how long everybody has been saying that about Detroit..........Boom all of sudden they end up with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Fischer, Hudler, Bykov, etc........Believe me Colorado and Detroit will always be fine, because they're front office will do whatever it takes to bring home a winner. What's the point of this whole league if you're not shooting for Lord Stanley........Just the playoffs, are you kidding me or what. Tell that to the players and see what they tell you!
i never discounted the wings. as you said, they got too good of a scouting staff that does not need to draft 1st rounders to get their gems. so that is why i think they'll be around for quite some time, duno how long til their luck runs out though...

Quote:
I really thought you were one of the Carter bashers, but I guess i'm wrong. He just had abdominal surgery today, so most of you that like him will at least now have an excuse. We gave up Aulin, yeah i'm bummed. But does that mean Anson becomes Craig Johnson part II..........no thanks!
well, i don't use that as an excuse for his uninspired play, but i don't think we should give up on him just yet. unlike cechmanek, he was only here for 15 games and wasn't here for training camp. i want ot see him for a full year, like i wished we'd done w/ ronning. cechmanek on the other hand, is one player i'd like to see us cut our losses. he was useless from training camp, there is no excuse for his lackluster play.

Old
05-11-2004, 11:33 PM
kingbrath

vCash: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd
Mr. Guzmaniac,

I agree with everything you said except the part about us not being able to compete in the conference finals. except for that silly little losing streak at the end of the year, we'd be in the finals right now! next year, Anson Carter will be our Jerome Iginla and Roman Cechmanek will be our Mikka Kiprusoff. get your season seats now!

Very Sincerely,

Tim Leiweke

OMG I really hope you are kidding

Old
05-12-2004, 12:08 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brath
OMG I really hope you are kidding

I hope YOU'RE kidding