HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate blade rust

Old
05-17-2010, 11:41 AM
ryangib

vCash: 500
Skate blade rust

now that it's getting warmer outside, i'm noticing that the bottom of my skate blade is gets kinda rusted. the obvious simple answer would be to dry the blade off before putting it in my bag, but no matter how many times i wipe a towel over it, it still seems pretty damp and moist. any suggestions?

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:51 AM
SouthpawTRK

At my lhs I picked up a chamois that works better than using a cotton towel. According to the packaging on the chamois, it has a treatment built into it to help add a protective coating to the steel. I like using it better than a towel.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:30 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Get a pair of those soft/fuzzy skate guards. They are breathable so they let the moisture out.

Still wipe em down with your towel first.

If you can, get rid of the existing rust to prevent it from rusting more.

Last edited by nullterm: 05-17-2010 at 01:11 PM.
nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:02 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I think you simply need to get a better more absorbent towel or the chamios sounds like a good idea too. I usually dry mine off with paper napkins that I keep in my car from Dunkin Donuts. I then put them in the soft blade covers.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:07 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
WD-40 will get rid of rust.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:23 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

You also need to be letting your equipment dry out of the bag after each and every time on the ice. Right after you get off the ice, the blade of your skate will be cold, so condensation will form on it even after you wipe it off. You need soakers, and you need to let your equipment air out.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:31 PM
ryangib

i have the soft skate blade covers. how do you pronounce the name of that special towel? i will look into that for. ive tired paper towels, and just cloth towels. with the wd-40, what do you reccomend that i do? spray, and wipe immediatly? spray and let it sit, then wipe? spray and don't wipe? thanks alot for all the answers guys, i really appreciate it.

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:47 PM
SouthpawTRK

The way that I've always heard it pronounced is "shammy". Here's a link for the one that I purchased almost a year ago:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/arwipeanddry.html

Hopefully this helps

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Badger36

Once you get home, take the skate guards off of your skates and allow them to air dry. Leaving the guards on your skates all the time holds the moisture on the blades and causes rust.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 05:45 PM
fielder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
I think you simply need to get a better more absorbent towel or the chamios sounds like a good idea too. I usually dry mine off with paper napkins that I keep in my car from Dunkin Donuts. I then put them in the soft blade covers.
LOL

I'm in Canada so I use Tim Horton's

fielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

When I first started as an adult I had cheap $80 Bauers and those rubber skate guards...went to get them sharpened and they were bright orange with rust. Guy said the cheap skates have carbon steel that rusts quickly, so wipe them down every time.

Every other skate I've had with stainless steel blades I've used the "soaker" soft cloth skate guards, and no rust problems. I never take them off between skates except for sharpenings.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
When I first started as an adult I had cheap $80 Bauers and those rubber skate guards...went to get them sharpened and they were bright orange with rust. Guy said the cheap skates have carbon steel that rusts quickly, so wipe them down every time.

Every other skate I've had with stainless steel blades I've used the "soaker" soft cloth skate guards, and no rust problems. I never take them off between skates except for sharpenings.
My $80 Bauers have stainless blades. (it says in big, bold letters, "Tuuk stainless" on the side of the blades) I use the rubber skate guards and thus far havent had any rust. Im really careful about drying the blades before I put the guards on and then taking the guards off when I get home, wiping the blades off again and not putting the guards back on until the blades have air dried.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:07 AM
timekeep

didn't know they still made skates with anything but stainless steel blades. I think you have a long career ahead of you with multiple wiping of the blades after each use.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote