HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gionta poking his nose where it doesn't belong.

Old
05-19-2010, 12:14 PM
JimEIV

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
I love how Jim still takes a shot at Kovalchuk in a thread that is not even about him.

What a buffoon.

Thread isn't about Pandolfo either......

What a malevolent doooch

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?

vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Thread isn't about Pandolfo either......

What a malevolent doooch
Pandolfo dressing in a different locker room was a featured part of the article which was the original post.

Quote:
Word has gotten around the league about how poorly some respected veterans were treated, such as two-time Stanley Cup winner Jay Pandolfo being benched during the playoffs and forced to dress in the practice locker room instead of with his teammates in the main dressing room.

Q: How do you think the unthinkable?
A: With an itheberg.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:52 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Pandolfo dressing in a different locker room was a featured part of the article which was the original post.
Understand, but I believe the "thread" was about Gionta's comments.

The line was the "Thread" isn't about Kovalchuk.........The "Thread" is about Pandolfo either....

The article mentions a bunch of names and topics...But we are talking about the This Thread.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Cowbell232

Alright guys, that's enough. If you keep nitpicking each other's posts apart and name calling I'm going to start being mad.

Infractions and forced ignores will start...

05-19-2010, 06:07 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Understand, but I believe the "thread" was about Gionta's comments.

The line was the "Thread" isn't about Kovalchuk.........The "Thread" is about Pandolfo either....

The article mentions a bunch of names and topics...But we are talking about the This Thread.
Well, you just said it yourself that the thread is about pandolfo. See bolded part.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:27 PM
DevilFisch

Send a message via ICQ to DevilFisch Send a message via AIM to DevilFisch
I'm surprised no one else immediately saw what Gionta said and thought that it wasn't much fun to witness Gionta going from a 48-goal 2005-06 to 25, 22, and 20 goals in following seasons.

Fun? Last I checked we're talking about professional ice hockey players who are all adults. This is a results-oriented business. Gionta was allowed to walk because he stopped putting up significant results. Pandolfo's last good season was 07-08 and he's definitely near the end of the road as far as a NHL career, so he's ending up on the scratched list in favor of others (take your pick of enforcer Leblond, the useless Peters, or the terrible-shooting yet surprisingly good penalty drawing and puck possessing Zharkov).

Maybe I have it all wrong and the real answer is for some of these players to grow up a bit.

DevilFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 11:00 PM
NJD Kula
Wilkes-Barre Devils?

Just ****ing win next season and put it behind em like the Yank0rz did

Remember all the talk about Arod and Jeter hating each other and how Arod was a huge choker, Mo was too old to make a save, and Jorge Pandolfo was a bum?

Gionta can go shove his two cents up his ass - I love the guy but really, can your dumb team not get shut out by Michael Leighton? It's not like they got the Amazing Brian Boucher in net!!

NJD Kula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilFisch View Post
I'm surprised no one else immediately saw what Gionta said and thought that it wasn't much fun to witness Gionta going from a 48-goal 2005-06 to 25, 22, and 20 goals in following seasons.

Fun? Last I checked we're talking about professional ice hockey players who are all adults. This is a results-oriented business. Gionta was allowed to walk because he stopped putting up significant results. Pandolfo's last good season was 07-08 and he's definitely near the end of the road as far as a NHL career, so he's ending up on the scratched list in favor of others (take your pick of enforcer Leblond, the useless Peters, or the terrible-shooting yet surprisingly good penalty drawing and puck possessing Zharkov).

Maybe I have it all wrong and the real answer is for some of these players to grow up a bit.

We have a half dozen guys who need to play instead of Pando, Lou set him up financially. I said it before and I'll say it again, let Pando go to Albany as a player/coach. I think down the road he could be a good coach.

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 05-20-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:21 PM
NJDEVIL

in the end, Gionta comments are probably dead on, our players performance reflected just that, burnt out. The only thing I'm wondering is - if this has been going on for a while, with different coaches...is this poor coach selection or is this straight up Lou dictatorship?

edit: I do believe this is lou last season regardless of out it pans out.

NJDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Lou isnt going anywhere.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Cowbell232

This is an interesting point:

A guy like Gio leaves, grows a beard and 'rebels' against the former team. It's like when young players leave the Devils they become teenagers. Madden grows a kind of beard and goes out partying in Chi-Town.

There's a lot of variables here, but is it possible the players that thrive under this disciplined team simply aren't playing here? Guys like Parise, Clarkson, and even Kovy to an extent seem to like the structure and work ethic expected here, but is it wearing them down is the question?

Gio seems to hint at this.

Look at the last Cup team roster. It's a group of guys who thrived in the work, work, work attitude. I don't think we have the right players to have this attitude here. There is a culture change going on, slowly, but surely.

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I don't like guys who don't toe the company line. Leave if you don't like it. Devils hockey was successful this way for years, we have 3 Cups because of guys like Stevens and Dano who understood you have to be a man, not a child.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
I don't like guys who don't toe the company line. Leave if you don't like it. Devils hockey was successful this way for years, we have 3 Cups because of guys like Stevens and Dano who understood you have to be a man, not a child.
But is that what wins Cups now? Look at the youth and "fun" having teams that make it deep, year after year.

I'm starting to sound like Jim et al.

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:15 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

winning comes from hard work. winning is fun. if you work hard enough to win, you'll have fun doing it. if you work hard, but not hard enough to win, you'll get burnt out. had they worked a bit harder, they'd be winning and having fun, and it wouldn't seem like work. stop whining, and work harder. then you'll win and have fun.

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:33 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
winning comes from hard work. winning is fun. if you work hard enough to win, you'll have fun doing it. if you work hard, but not hard enough to win, you'll get burnt out. had they worked a bit harder, they'd be winning and having fun, and it wouldn't seem like work. stop whining, and work harder. then you'll win and have fun.
Like in Arbeit Macht Fun?

As I remember it, the one and only game that Devils played well, and won, during the Philly series was the one where they were allowed to go home and **** their women the night before the game.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
But is that what wins Cups now? Look at the youth and "fun" having teams that make it deep, year after year.

I'm starting to sound like Jim et al.
09 - Crosby
08 - Lidstrom
07 - Niedermayer
06 - Brind A'Mour
04 - Andreychuk
03 - Stevens
02 - Yzerman
01 - Sakic
00 - Stevens
99 - Hatcher

Last 10 Cup champs, look at the captains, all mature, even the 22 year old Crosby. That's what wins, we have a Captain who acts like a 15 year old.

Old
05-20-2010, 01:39 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
09 - Crosby
08 - Lidstrom
07 - Niedermayer
06 - Brind A'Mour
04 - Andreychuk
03 - Stevens
02 - Yzerman
01 - Sakic
00 - Stevens
99 - Hatcher

Last 10 Cup champs, look at the captains, all mature, even the 22 year old Crosby. That's what wins, we have a Captain who acts like a 15 year old.
I agree on that but:

Not that I can possibly know exactly what happened, but wasn't Therrien hated among the players because he was an A-hole that didn't show respect, etc? After they fired him everything turned around.

I don't know, why do people think showing normal respect to players in sports is a weakness? I do not get that.

Old
05-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
I agree on that but:

Not that I can possibly know exactly what happened, but wasn't Therrien hated among the players because he was an A-hole that didn't show respect, etc? After they fired him everything turned around.

I don't know, why do people think showing normal respect to players in sports is a weakness? I do not get that.
But Langenbrunner has been a whiny, pouty ***** for three seasons now.

Old
05-20-2010, 01:48 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
But Langenbrunner has been a whiny, pouty ***** for three seasons now.
True, can't deny that.

Old
05-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

All this suff about Lou running such a tight ship, is getting rediculous. Can anyone honestly say that no Devil player goes out an parties. What does Lou do, send someone to eveyone residence to see if there in bed. Please, Dano was a party animal. Just as long as you don't show up for work all messed up, like that one player did, can't remember is name, but he must of showed up to practice all fk uped, becasue Lou got rid of the guy the next day, which is understandable.

And I guess what Gio is saying that we should take it easy and try to make the playoffs as a 8th seed like the Candians and hope we catch lighting in a bottle.

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 05-20-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old
05-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
All this suff about Lou running such a tight ship, is getting rediculous. Can anyone honestly, say that no Devil player goes out an parties. What does Lou do, send someone to eveyone residence to see if there in bed. Please, Dano was a party animal. Just as long as you don't show up for work all messed up, like that one player did, can't remember is name, but he must of showed up to practice all fk uped, becasue Lou got rid of the guy the next day, which is understandable.

And I guess what Gio is saying that we should take it easy and try to make the playoffs as a 8th seed like the Candians and hope we catch lighting in a bottle.
I think you're thinking of Deron Quint.

Old
05-20-2010, 02:11 PM
NJDEVIL

I think the professionalism Lamo requires, as a lifestyle is respectable and was great. Now the entire NHL is experiencing a quality youth movement like no other, including guys like Zajac, Parise. Its a new generation and mentality, and when the best players don't match the system, what do you change the system or the players? Obviously the system, otherwise you end up trading and letting quality players walk.

NJDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
I think you're thinking of Deron Quint.
Yea, yea, that's him. Never seen Lou ship out a guy so fast as he did with Quint.

Old
05-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDEVIL View Post
I think the professionalism Lamo requires, as a lifestyle is respectable and was great. Now the entire NHL is experiencing a quality youth movement like no other, including guys like Zajac, Parise. Its a new generation and mentality, and when the best players don't match the system, what do you change the system or the players? Obviously the system, otherwise you end up trading and letting quality players walk.
And he should. His employees get paid a lot of money and they represent the organization. He would never have stood for something like Roethlisberger did.

Old
05-20-2010, 03:25 PM
dk3790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
Lou isnt going anywhere.
Even if the devils get booted in the first round again? I'd have to think Lou got a warning from Vanderbeek.

dk3790 is offline   Reply With Quote