HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes 2009-2010 VII

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2010, 12:58 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
He only gave up 2 goals...Both teams(The Caps and Russia) have plenty of offensive fire power and should be able to score more then 1 goal.
I know. Just like in the playoffs. He only gave up two goals to Montreal in game 5 and game 7 and the Caps lost the series. As result its pretty much the consensus that the defense sucks and needs a significant change.

It makes perfect sense to say after 2 goals against that the defense stinks while suggesting the goaltender needed to be a little better is off limits. Interesting twist.

Old
05-24-2010, 01:00 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Score 1 goal and you lose, more like it.

2 Goals against should be good enough to win for most teams, at least on average (which means nothing in a single elimination tourney, obviously, but since you were also talking playoffs...)
I agree. 2 goals against should be good enough to win. I blame the offense. Not the defense.

Old
05-24-2010, 01:02 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I know. Just like in the playoffs. He only gave up two goals to Montreal in game 5 and game 7 and the Caps lost the series. As result its pretty much the consensus that the defense sucks and needs a significant change.

It makes perfect sense to say after 2 goals against that the defense stinks while suggesting the goaltender needed to be a little better is off limits. Interesting twist.
Do you just enjoy being the contrarian?

Many have been beating the defense drum for three years. It's needed an upgrade every year the Caps have made the playoffs since the lockout. I frankly don't care what happened in one 7 game stretch. I'll take what's been evident for the last several hundred games--the defense is slow, stupid, has no offense beyond Green, and no real experience beyond Poti.

Old
05-24-2010, 01:12 PM
txpd

no...not at all. i have been in favor of having three veteran defense and 3 young defense. its never happened.

that said, mcphee apparantly thinks otherwise. seems to me that nothing about this past season proves him wrong. they had the best record in the nhl by a considerable margin and then lost in the first round of the playoffs because their juggernaut offense ran off the tracks on its own or was derailed by a hot goalie.

so...slow or dumb or not experienced enough, i see no evidence that its holding them back. i'd be on that bandwagon myself, if the that was the reason they failed so miserably in the playoffs. last season the penguins destroyed the caps by pinning their defense deep in their own zone and scored at will in and around the paint. montreal couldnt hold possession in the caps end and didnt score more than one or two goals inside of ten feet or thru a significant screen.

they didnt lose because of the defense this season. the defense isnt good enough theory was clearly not proven this season. like it or not.

Old
05-24-2010, 01:23 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
no...not at all. i have been in favor of having three veteran defense and 3 young defense. its never happened.

that said, mcphee apparantly thinks otherwise. seems to me that nothing about this past season proves him wrong. they had the best record in the nhl by a considerable margin and then lost in the first round of the playoffs because their juggernaut offense ran off the tracks on its own or was derailed by a hot goalie.

so...slow or dumb or not experienced enough, i see no evidence that its holding them back. i'd be on that bandwagon myself, if the that was the reason they failed so miserably in the playoffs. last season the penguins destroyed the caps by pinning their defense deep in their own zone and scored at will in and around the paint. montreal couldnt hold possession in the caps end and didnt score more than one or two goals inside of ten feet or thru a significant screen.

they didnt lose because of the defense this season. the defense isnt good enough theory was clearly not proven this season. like it or not.
Just because the offense choked us out of the playoffs does not mean that the defense is adequate. Those two have nothing to do with one another. Even you must realize that. It's like concluding that the punting is fine because the offensive line blew the game.

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 05-24-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old
05-24-2010, 02:07 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Tough year for this guy...

Old
05-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

He can relax it off in Turkey taggin Euro puck bunny all summer.

Old
05-24-2010, 02:54 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Tough year for this guy...

Yeah..

But it's interesting, now he's got half of Russian hockey world telling him that he's got to start working on his game -- of course, nobody complains about his effort, but in every telecast you hear how so-and-so expressed the opinion that AO needs to start varying his game, play smarter.

We'll see where that goes... but tough season, for sure..

Old
05-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Semin

If the Caps want to win the cup, they will need Ovechkin playing 2-way game. Patrick Kane backchecks harder then Oveckin. P Kane was also considered a wreck defensively. Look what hard can do.

Old
05-24-2010, 03:04 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Ovechkin needs to give a double barrelled middle finger to the league and start playing his game again. Board people. Whack the goalie after the whistle. Taunt the road crowds. And backcheck. Basically do everything he did for the 20 games after being named captain.

Old
05-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I still think our team is better with Ovechkin on the PK, and playing less elsewhere.

Old
05-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Ovechkin needs to give a double barrelled middle finger to the league and start playing his game again. Board people. Whack the goalie after the whistle. Taunt the road crowds. And backcheck. Basically do everything he did for the 20 games after being named captain.
And then what? the league suspends him and he comes back to scared to play physical. It sucks, its not his fault hes really strong.

Old
05-24-2010, 03:09 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7117 View Post
And then what? the league suspends him and he comes back to scared to play physical. It sucks, its not his fault hes really strong.
Come back and do it again. He could use a couple games off every once in a while. After a few years the league gave up on Pronger. Keep pushing that envelope.

Old
05-24-2010, 03:09 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Theodore nominated for the King Clancy.

Quote:
Jose Theodore has been nominated by his teammates for the King Clancy Memorial Trophy, which is awarded annually "to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community."
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...r-king-cl.html

Old
05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I still think our team is better with Ovechkin on the PK, and playing less elsewhere.
I thought so too, for educational purposes. But the thing is, he doesn't work much harder defensively on the PK than on a regular shift -- doesn't go all out to close people down, or win board battles. I have no idea what BB is telling him.. probably nothing.

Old
05-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Semin

Quote:
Come back and do it again. He could use a couple games off every once in a while. After a few years the league gave up on Pronger. Keep pushing that envelope.
That's true. I want that reckless Ovechkin back. I also want a 2-way Ovechkin, I'll take a 90 point OV with tons of playoff success then a 110 point first/second round exit. It took till Hitchcock became the coach of the Starts till Modano became that great 2-way player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
I thought so too, for educational purposes. But the thing is, he doesn't work much harder defensively on the PK than on a regular shift -- doesn't go all out to close people down, or win board battles. I have no idea what BB is telling him.. probably nothing.
BB fills each players head up with garbage.

Old
05-24-2010, 03:19 PM
txpd

Quote:
Just because the offense choked us out of the playoffs does not mean that the defense is adequate. Those two have nothing to do with one another. Even you must realize that. It's like concluding that the punting is fine because the offensive line blew the game.
Like I said, I tend to agree that the defense needs to be better. That said, nothing happened this season to back that point up. They had the best record in the NHL. Is that a false indicator? Maybe, but maybe isn't proof. Its a theory at best.

It appears to me that our fairly conventional attitude about the defense and McPhee and Boudreau's more outside the box approach are in conflict. They have not been convinced that our way is better and their way failed. As you said, nothing about the playoffs proves the defense stinks.

I have to admit that following the president's trophy with admittance of strategic failure and changing the team's direction doesn't sound very likely.

My view of McPhee is that nothing has happened to change his plans. If Volchenkov is coming on July 1, that has been the plan for more than a year. If the Caps trade Fleischmann or Semin, that had been decided before the playoffs. If Morrisonn and Jurcina are leaving, that has been the plan.

As you say the playoff loss has no effect on your desire to change the defense. By that you are basically saying that the best team in the regular season by a significant margin is basically flawed and its hard to buy that.

Old
05-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

thats the crux of it. until he commits to the pk, i think we have issues. The Caps probable best PK player never takes a shift there, nor wants to work to get better there.

Old
05-24-2010, 07:17 PM
sk84fun_dc

New 30 thoughts from Friedman, apologies if this was posted in another thread...I skimmed the other active threads and didn't see it posted.

Caps OT: includes a Zettler mention

link

Old
05-24-2010, 09:07 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
thats the crux of it. until he commits to the pk, i think we have issues. The Caps probable best PK player never takes a shift there, nor wants to work to get better there.
who is that?

Old
05-25-2010, 03:47 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
“He came to me [before the series] and said, ‘Bernier is getting a lot of press.’ I said, ‘Yeah, yeah,’ and then he goes, ‘but I’m better,’ ” Hershey coach Mark French said. “It was with a very straight face and he meant no disservice, but I think he took this series as a personal challenge.
http://www.csnwashington.com/05/25/1...165&feedID=287

Moxie.

I dig it.

Old
05-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

That's tremendous.

Old
05-25-2010, 04:01 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I mean...the dude is a winner. He's going to get his chance next year to take over....I wouldn't put it past him to do just that if given a fair chance.

Old
05-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Gotta like that.

Old
05-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Semin

I saw Neuvy in the CCF last year, even though they lost 3-2 to the Moose in game 2 the guy was unbeatable it seemed like. The saves he made were just amazing. If given the opportunity I think he has the potential to take the number 1 spot from Varly in the future.

Closed Thread