HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Who do you think is the most underrated player in this next draft?

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Devon

vCash: 500
Who do you think is the most underrated player in this next draft?

I think that the most underrated player in this years draft is Scott Mcculloch. He is rated 40th overall by CSS for North American skaters. He is such a strong player and uses his strength to his advantage. He does not get noticed because he plays up in Grande Prairie Alberta for the Storm who is likely going to win the Royal Bank Cup this year and are 3-0 so far in the tournament. He will go to collage next year and may take time to develop but he just such a good scoring clutch player. He will be and excellent pick for any team. So who do you think is the most underrated player in this up and coming draft.

Devon

Old
05-13-2004, 05:07 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon
I think that the most underrated player in this years draft is Scott Mcculloch. He is rated 40th overall by CSS for North American skaters. He is such a strong player and uses his strength to his advantage. He does not get noticed because he plays up in Grande Prairie Alberta for the Storm who is likely going to win the Royal Bank Cup this year and are 3-0 so far in the tournament. He will go to collage next year and may take time to develop but he just such a good scoring clutch player. He will be and excellent pick for any team. So who do you think is the most underrated player in this up and coming draft.

Devon
Andy Rogers. He has decent size, can skate, shoot and defend. If a team like the Sabres can pass on defense in the first round and grab him with their second rounder, they would be making a great move.

Old
05-13-2004, 05:20 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Lauri Tukonen is underhyped....the guy is the real deal, he'll surprise people. Same can be said for Andrew Ladd...even though there top 10 picks.

I also think Martin Karsums deserves more press.

Defensman Kirill Lyamin well be a stud, and forward Carl Soderberg well be a very solid hockey player, both should slip into the late third round.

Kyle Klubertanz does not get enough press....He could be this years Matt Carle.

Old
05-13-2004, 05:32 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Forgot......Defensman Chris Zarb....awesome defensman in the USHL.

Goaltender David Brown of Notre Dame...and FW Matt Christie.

Old
05-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Spectacular_Bid

Nathan Perkovich from Cedar Rapids (USHL) is not only under-hyped he's virtually unheard of. The 6'5" winger from Canton, Michigan will go in the late rounds probably 8 or 9 only because he didn't play a full season in the USHL. He started the season for Detroit Catholic Central High School but decided it was best for him to play in the USHL. He played in 35 games and had 1 goal and 8 assists. This kids upside is as big as Blake Wheelers, or he could be a bust. Should be fun to watch next year.

Old
05-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Duff88

Stanislav Lascek of the Chicoutimi Saguenéens has some good offensive skills but he is not ranked because of poor skating and because he's not big. Anyway, he impressed me by working extremely hard and showing good offensive skills this year.

Cory Schneider is an awesome goalie who should go in the first round. He has some great skills, he is big and his positionning is close to perfect. He is a leader and an extremely mature player who makes the big saves when needed.

Travis Zajac who plays in the BCHL should be ranked around 20-35, he has some great offensive skills and he's a good skater. He's big, has a great work ethic and goes in the traffic.

Brian Ihnacak could be considered as a 2nd/3rd round pick with alot of potential. He was a rookie of the year in the ECAC, he has some great offensive skills and can score alot of goals with hard work. His father, slovak Peter Ihnacak, was the 25th overall pick in the 1982 draft by Toronto.

Other players who could be in that list are (Those who I have only heard of):
Karel Hromas
Emil Axelsson
Michael Tobler

Old
05-13-2004, 07:18 PM
IFK

Pasi Salonen is very underrated!

This guy has 1-2 round potential, but he was 126 that Euro list. He wasn´t his own this year be cause he was injury most of the season. Thats why he was last whos drop out U20 WJC. He wasn´t able to play U18 champs because he is littlebit overaged and that is something like 14 days. But if Salonen is available 2rnd or later, i say take it! He is best Finnish 85 born player and defenetly better than meny who is higher that Euro list. He is pure goal scorer.

Old
05-13-2004, 07:38 PM
MichaelK

Kyle Wilson/C/Colgate University

Old
05-13-2004, 07:47 PM
rnyquist

Radulov and Tukonen. Possibly two guys who SHOULD be picked in the top 5 but yet some have them slipping to 15 and even 20 , i have no idea why but it seems like people are ignoring these two guys. Everyone talks of Malkin, Olesz, Ladd and Schremp and Barker and yet these 2 guys are probably much much more rounded skilled players and yet ignored.

Old
05-13-2004, 08:39 PM
hunter orange

Sindel

Old
05-13-2004, 09:04 PM
pittengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnyquist
Radulov and Tukonen. Possibly two guys who SHOULD be picked in the top 5 but yet some have them slipping to 15 and even 20 , i have no idea why but it seems like people are ignoring these two guys. Everyone talks of Malkin, Olesz, Ladd and Schremp and Barker and yet these 2 guys are probably much much more rounded skilled players and yet ignored.
I would agree with you that Radulov and Tukonen are good, but they are not much much much more rounds skilled player than Malkin. Malkin is extremely well rounded, almost on par with Ovechkin.

Old
05-13-2004, 09:18 PM
DJ Spinoza

I'd draft Lauri Tukonen if I was picking third. So he would be my pick here.

Old
05-13-2004, 09:23 PM
pittengineer

If im picking third, i would still prob go olesz. 4th or 5th pick i would def consider Tukonen.

Old
05-13-2004, 10:30 PM
db23

Thelen at 11th among N.A. prospects. This guys was an All American at 17. I think Paul Kariya is the only other player that has managed that.

Old
05-14-2004, 12:55 AM
Boomhower

Mitch Maunu ranked 71st among NA's is surprising, CSB is underating him anyways.

Old
05-14-2004, 01:10 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Picard for being ranked third by CSB and being a nice hard working winger he doesnt always get his due credit.

Old
05-14-2004, 02:11 AM
rinkrat13

Cory Schneider

I just have this feeling taht Cory has (or will have) the biggest upside of any Goalie in the draft. He put on quite an impressive show at the U-18's last August backstopping Team USA to the Gold Medal with a 12-1 record and posting a 1.86 GAA .929 Save%.... good size - 6'2 & 195

The knock against him is that he hasn't faced talented (or as talented) shooters as the other top rated goalies. Schneider plays high school Hockey for Phillips Andover Academy of the USHS, although remember a high school kid named Tom Barrasso who made the jump right out of a Massatuchets HS to play in the NHL?!?!?!

Next season Schneider as two choices of where to play 1. Boston College or 2. The Sidney Crosby-lead Rimouski Oceanic... where ever he deiceds to go he will finally have the oppurtunaty to play against kids at his level that will help develop the kid to where he should be.

Remember the name Cory Schneider, cuz hes gonna be a star!

Old
05-14-2004, 02:24 AM
ZombieMatt

I've thrown out his name a few times this year, but I think Clayton Stoner is getting over looked a bit.

He's a big defenceman with a mean streak, placed 111th NA Skaters by CSS most recently, but he put up pretty decent stats and seems to have a pretty solid defensive game.

Old
05-14-2004, 07:34 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I think Ladd's someone who should get more credit, but doesn't due to the two Russians at the top of the draft. Though he's probably not as good as those 2 now, I think he's got a decent chance at being a really good player in the NHL.

Old
05-14-2004, 08:07 AM
helicecopter

until 2 or 3 months ago i would have said Tukonen.

Old
05-14-2004, 08:33 AM
pei fan

Radulov is listed as having scored 31 pts for Dynamo in 42 games. He only
played 1 game, correct?

Old
05-14-2004, 09:12 AM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountie
I've thrown out his name a few times this year, but I think Clayton Stoner is getting over looked a bit.

He's a big defenceman with a mean streak, placed 111th NA Skaters by CSS most recently, but he put up pretty decent stats and seems to have a pretty solid defensive game.
Stoner was passed over in last year's draft. He was invited to San Jose's camp for a look and apparently did reasonably well.

So the reason he is at 111th is because this is his second time through.

Old
05-14-2004, 12:48 PM
Mizral

I'd say Robbie Schremp. Hell, I'd take him over Evgeni Malkin.

Old
05-14-2004, 01:01 PM
lucas

Jordan Smith, ranked around 50th I think from the Soo Greyhounds will be a steal. He is a good skater, tough as nails, and even showed a surprising offensive touch this year. Definetely underrated.

Closed Thread