Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is it going to take?? Re: Powerplay

Old
03-08-2013, 05:03 AM
corpfan1

vCash: 500
What is it going to take?? Re: Powerplay

Ok, I have bitten my tongue for a long time now.

I am sick of it. This team is WAY TOO TALENTED to have such a **** powerplay.

What is it going to take to fix it???

1) A new player (e.g. Iginla)

2) A hiree outside the team specifically to work on the PP (or maybe Ray Bourque wants to coach this?)

3) A psychotherapist to sit with the PP units and get into their heads

4) Start using the 4th line as the 1st PP unit

5) Taking a penalty on purpose as soon as we draw one (ie just running the opposing goalie or something)

What is wrong with our PP? Why can't we fix it? What is the solution?

corpfan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:14 AM
bolt thrower
Danke Bomber Harris!

Fire Geoff Ward, problem solved!

bolt thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:06 AM
JMiller

Why is krejci ineffective on the pp? He thrives on creating time and space but when he gets it on the pp he does nada.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:17 AM
corpfan1

I am wondering if they should try Hamilton AND Chara on the points for the PP?

Here would be my #1 PP:

Krejci
Marchand
Seguin
Chara
Hamilton

The problem is Julien I think is worried about a #2 PP.... and balancing them out.

Obviously a 2nd PP could have:

Bergeron
Lucic
Horton
Peverley
one of: Ference, Boychuk or Seidenberg

corpfan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:22 AM
remer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt thrower View Post
Fire Geoff Ward, problem solved!
- It can't be explained any other way. The coach by now has to figure out how these guys can be better and he hasn't for 3 plus years.

If you think coaching does not count, just consider what a general coaching change can do. Look no further than was Hitchcock did in St. Louis and what Therrian has done with the Habs.

At this point just add a new face/voice to the coaching staff in regards to the powerplay.

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:35 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpfan1 View Post
Ok, I have bitten my tongue for a long time now.

I am sick of it. This team is WAY TOO TALENTED to have such a **** powerplay.

What is it going to take to fix it???

1) A new player (e.g. Iginla)

2) A hiree outside the team specifically to work on the PP (or maybe Ray Bourque wants to coach this?)

3) A psychotherapist to sit with the PP units and get into their heads

4) Start using the 4th line as the 1st PP unit

5) Taking a penalty on purpose as soon as we draw one (ie just running the opposing goalie or something)

What is wrong with our PP? Why can't we fix it? What is the solution?
Ryan Spooner could be ready for the first round of the playoffs when it matters.

Kid is Gold, Corpfan1 Gold! also maybe Koko makes an appearance, and Knight is back next week....the next wave of yutes on the way

in all seriousness (although I am not far off)

Seguin, Dougie, and Krejci ARE GOLD!!!! these 3 have to be getting 80 seconds of the 120 every powerplay- they move around, they can pass, they can shoot, they have very good hockey sense, awareness....go with these three consistently and get Chara off there except for second PP

very tough for teams to cover Dougie who could be anywhere- he's going to be fantastic running this over the years

Last edited by DKH: 03-08-2013 at 06:43 AM.
DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Kirk said it on twitter: Players need to execute, period.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:59 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Unit 1:

Pandolfo-Soderberg-Bourque
Ference-Kaberle

Unit 2:

Axelsson-Savard-Murray
Ray Bourque-Hamilton

Seriously though, movement and execution. Firstly, it's a struggle to enter the zone with possession. Once inside, those without the puck are stationary. Those with the puck often exhibit poor decision making. They either over pass, or take a shot that goes wide, high or hits a shin pad and bounces outside the zone.

They have the horses to get it done. Let Chara have some free reign to move about the zone. His slapper from the blue line is next to useless at this point. Seguin is supposed to be a star in making? Ok, get it done on the power play then.

03-08-2013, 07:24 AM
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 19.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
- It can't be explained any other way. The coach by now has to figure out how these guys can be better and he hasn't for 3 plus years.

If you think coaching does not count, just consider what a general coaching change can do. Look no further than was Hitchcock did in St. Louis and what Therrian has done with the Habs.

At this point just add a new face/voice to the coaching staff in regards to the powerplay.
Thats a head coach though.

A powerplay coach does very little that actually effects the power play. Unless Ward is specifically telling them not to work the puck down low and to just kick to the point every chance you get, but I doubt that. The only thing I notice that I would change pertaining to Ward is the fact that he makes sure there is always someone screening the goalie and then the rest of the team essentially plays 4 on 4 hockey. Screening the goalie is great, but you need that guy coming in and out, rotating with the puck to mix it up.

The problem with the B's powerplay is no on uses the offensive instinct to take the ice and make something happen, instead they just use what the PK gives them. They need to force the issue, work the puck down low, make the D get out of position and open up holes. They're way too passive. They'd literally be the easiest team to PK against cause you never have to break format against them.

Its no surprise the last time we had a good powerplay savvy and kessel were flying around

Last edited by BrainOfJ: 03-08-2013 at 07:29 AM.
BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

It's going to be a yeti of a task.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:24 AM
NHRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post

Concur. He is the common denominator for the Bs failed PP for the past few years. Time to try a new PP coach because he is a huge failure.

NHRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRonin View Post
Concur. He is the common denominator for the Bs failed PP for the past few years. Time to try a new PP coach because he is a huge failure.
Decision making can't be teached. That's the major problem on the PP. Too many bad decisions; way too much overpassing. Good scoring chances are wasted because our players doesn't trust their shot.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:32 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

I do think it is a system thing. I think throwing a ton of money and prospects to bring someone in to "fix" the problem won't work. . There is more than enough talent to have a good poweplay here

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:35 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

I believe pp system/strategy/coaching is the problem.

We got Kaberle in Boston, not because of his defensive prowess but because he was the all mighty PMD.

And what did we do with him on the PP? We had him skate up to the red line and Fire the ********r all the way behind the opponents net.

That isn't talent, that's system. The bruins are a dump + Chase team, when they get on the powerplay they look lost because carrying the puck into the zone is foreign to them (unless its an odd man rush).

Simple example.
The year we won the cup, We had a top 5 offense but a 20th rank PP.

**** does not compute.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:48 AM
SPLBRUIN

The one constant over the years is Ward, remove him and bring in a proven PP coach and I think we will see a lot of improvement.

SPLBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Schmautzie
Dave est magané

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRonin View Post
Yup. It's been THREE seasons. I think it's now long overdue to change it up. I wish they would hire someone who can bring a fresh approach.

Schmautzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Schmautzie
Dave est magané

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Decision making can't be teached. That's the major problem on the PP. Too many bad decisions; way too much overpassing. Good scoring chances are wasted because our players doesn't trust their shot.
When I watch the PP, I don't see a lot of movement. I see standing at stations and passing around. At times, someone will try to sneak down low for a one timer. That seems more like a system to me.

I'd like to see the Bergeron line out as the 1st PP unit with Hamilton and Chara and I want to see those guys using their speed (Seguin/Marchand) to get the defense moving and reacting in order to open up opportunities.

Schmautzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Soderberg

Not Gregory Campbell, that's for sure.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

More movement, they are too stationary.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Kirk said it on twitter: Players need to execute, period.
Executing crap will lead to a crap PP... like we've had for years. It's all on coaches.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmautzie View Post
When I watch the PP, I don't see a lot of movement. I see standing at stations and passing around. At times, someone will try to sneak down low for a one timer. That seems more like a system to me.

I'd like to see the Bergeron line out as the 1st PP unit with Hamilton and Chara and I want to see those guys using their speed (Seguin/Marchand) to get the defense moving and reacting in order to open up opportunities.
I'm not saying that it's 100% decision making but... too many times, i see a player in a good position to shoot the puck doing otherwise ( sending the puck to the point or making a crossice pass (who will be intercepted) ) with a negative result. This "behavior" can also be seen on a odd man rush, where the team have a 3 on 2, and the guy with the puck will choose to pass instead of shooting even if he's in a better position/having a better scoring chance. I understand the puck movement and everything but i fully remember when the Bruins had Iafrate/Bourque at the point, the Bruins were passing the puck 2-3 times and BOOM, the big shot. They were were successfull by shooting the puck with plenty of people in front of the net. You're not going to beat a goaltender without traffic in front of him. To me, the Bruins are too cute and fancy instead of being "dirty" and effective.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

I remember Julien saying at one time that defense can be taught but offense just has to come naturally... or something to that effect.

It's still a troubling concept to me as both most certainly can be taught, but it's hard to judge exactly what he meant without full context. Still, the offense at times seems to be quite disjointed, especially on the power play with no clear strategy it seems. I wonder how much free reign the coaching staff gives the players offensively honestly... structure would help.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:23 AM
patty59

Play the first unit for the entire PP.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:25 AM
patty59

I remember watching Campbell on the PP last night and seeing everyone pass around him, it was like when I get PP time in beer league and no one passes to me

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:27 AM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Why is krejci ineffective on the pp? He thrives on creating time and space but when he gets it on the pp he does nada.
he leads the team in PP points with 4 (tied with Seguin and Dougie)

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote