HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whats your direction for our team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-18-2010, 02:45 PM
  #1
funky
Registered User
 
funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,095
vCash: 500
Whats your direction for our team

D.L came in and stated he wanted to build from the back out and in my eyes he has. I was wondering what fellow Kings fans philosophies from this point on are? I read some guys wanting Kovy, some wanting Marleau, some Kaberle, one even wanted Nabakov.

We seem to have a franchise center and a franchise d-man to build aound plus two young goalies with potential. So I ask he following:

1. what is the next positional piece we should add? C - LW - RW - D - G?
2. 1 big piece ie)Kovalchuk or 2 smaller ones ie) Frolov,Hamhuis ?
3. compete and stockpile or contend and sacrifice?

Just curious to see your thoughts.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 03:00 PM
  #2
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go
 
Kurrilino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,533
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
We should add 2 more quality wingers the next 2 seasons.

Should get rid od Williams and Stoll.
Cancel all guys who are not able to play hockey (Ivanans, Clune like)
Get in a new Staff...... just the best you can get for money.
Try to sign Kovalchuk

Generally we should take the next step.

If we keep on doing like we do...... we will win absolute nothing,
the player will grow and leave the Kings as soon as they can.

That means a new house cleaning and a new rebuild.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 05:03 PM
  #3
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,534
vCash: 500
Going up!

1. 1a/b center. Schenn should be good, but you never know.
2. Depth.
3. Stockpile. That depth in the system is what helped us in the playoffs.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 05:22 PM
  #4
Kingz4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Armenia
Posts: 2,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Do everything possible to sign Kovalchuk. If we fail then go after Marleau and Frolov/Hamhuis.

Re-sign Richardson (RFA).

Start trying to re-sign Doughty, Johnson, Simmonds to LONG extensions with as low of a CAP hit as possible.

Trade Stoll, especially if Schenn is ready. Even if he is not we have Richardson.

Maybe add another bridge d-man for a year to replace O'Donnell until Hickey, Voynov, Drewiske, Muzzin, Trebuert...are truly ready.

Give Bernier a true shot at going after the number 1 job.

We will be cup contenders next season.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 05:34 PM
  #5
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
We should add 2 more quality wingers the next 2 seasons.

Should get rid od Williams and Stoll.
Cancel all guys who are not able to play hockey (Ivanans, Clune like)
Get in a new Staff...... just the best you can get for money.
Try to sign Kovalchuk

Generally we should take the next step.

If we keep on doing like we do...... we will win absolute nothing,
the player will grow and leave the Kings as soon as they can.

That means a new house cleaning and a new rebuild.
Well, Ivanans is a UFA. Clune showed he can play in the NHL playoffs and be hated by an entire city and team...ie Vancouver. If you are one of those dudes who predicts a 4th line of Parse-Stoll-Williams you have another thing coming...3 former Flyer employees (Hextall, Lombardi and Murray) will not let that happen...especially if OD bails or retires.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 05:35 PM
  #6
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,705
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
1. Kovalchuk
2. Kovalchuk
3. Kovalchuk

???

Profit.

__________________

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 06:12 PM
  #7
CowMix
Go Kings Go!
 
CowMix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tustin, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,996
vCash: 500
Kovy - Kopitar - Frolov

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 06:27 PM
  #8
Defgarden
Registered User
 
Defgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Ko-val-chuk!
Ko-val-chuk!
Ko-val-chuk!

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 06:31 PM
  #9
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix View Post
Kovy - Kopitar - Frolov
Both Kovalchuck and Frolov would have to take substantial discounts for that to happen, and we'd have to find someone to dump William's contract on. But that sure would be.....AWESOME!

Kovalchuk - Kopitar - Frolov
Smyth - Stoll - Brown
Richardson - Handzus - Simmonds


Fro would probably have to take a one year deal as well.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 06:57 PM
  #10
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,849
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
3. Stockpile. That depth in the system is what helped us in the playoffs.
I don't get this. How did the depth help the Kings in the playoffs? Bernier was left in Manchester. Jones was put back in the lineup.

Are you saying Halpern and Modin were the depth players?



All = Kovalchuk

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:00 PM
  #11
Fangio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,225
vCash: 500
Just get a damn good player that can put the puck in the net. That is what this team needs right now. As much as I would love to add him to the roster, I doubt we sign Ilya Kovalchuk, DL won't trade anyone(Jarret Stoll seems to be the popular choice here), to make it work.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:00 PM
  #12
Cook24
Registered User
 
Cook24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chino, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Frolovs gone. Williams and Stoll are staying for at least next season. DL will sign Kovalchuk. Someone like Eaton will sign here for 1 year.

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Simmonds
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Richardson-Handzus-Brown
Parse-Lewis-Westgarth

Scuderi-Doughty
Johnson-Greene
Eaton-Voynov

Quick/Bernier

We easily finish top 4 in the west with this lineup. Cup Contenders.
Kovalchuk>>>>>>Frolov
Eaton>>>>O'Donnell
Voynov>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jones
Bernier/Quick tandem=
A now playoff experienced young team continues to improve.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:04 PM
  #13
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 16,007
vCash: 500
Everyone is drooling over Kovalchuk, but I am not sure this team isn't better off if Lombardi makes a pitch for Sharp and Byfuglien/Versteeg and then adds a good puck-moving #3/#4 defenseman with UFA money.

Chicago is going to have to make a move. The Kings have attractive prospects and picks that give them salary cap relief. Definitely something to consider.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:07 PM
  #14
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,849
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Everyone is drooling over Kovalchuk, but I am not sure this team isn't better off if Lombardi makes a pitch for Sharp and Byfuglien/Versteeg and then adds a good puck-moving #3/#4 defenseman with UFA money.

Chicago is going to have to make a move. The Kings have attractive prospects and picks that give them salary cap relief. Definitely something to consider.
Signing a UFA is easier than making a trade. You are assuming that Chicago would be willing to trade with the Kings, an up and coming conference rival. Chicago would probably make trades with the eastern conference, especially if it is for draft picks and prospects. The Kings draft picks aren't as valuable as they used to be.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:11 PM
  #15
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 16,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Signing a UFA is easier than making a trade. You are assuming that Chicago would be willing to trade with the Kings, an up and coming conference rival. Chicago would probably make trades with the eastern conference, especially if it is for draft picks and prospects. The Kings draft picks aren't as valuable as they used to be.
True, but the prospects are. It might be time to shop Moller, Martinez, and a few of these other guys. Not many teams have a prospect pool as deep as the Kings and Chicago can't take much salary back in a trade.

In the end Chicago is going to have to deal with a team that has cap space and good prospects to offer. The Kings are not the only team on that list, but they are one of the few.

You're right signing a UFA can be easier than a trade. That's why you use UFA money to get the 3/4 defenseman, because no team is going to send you one of those in a trade and the Kings definitely need one.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:12 PM
  #16
Cook24
Registered User
 
Cook24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chino, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Everyone is drooling over Kovalchuk, but I am not sure this team isn't better off if Lombardi makes a pitch for Sharp and Byfuglien/Versteeg and then adds a good puck-moving #3/#4 defenseman with UFA money.

Chicago is going to have to make a move. The Kings have attractive prospects and picks that give them salary cap relief. Definitely something to consider.
Acquiring one of versteeg/buf/sharp won't be an improvement, if at all, over losing frolov. Plus we have to give up something for them. Sign kovalchuk, then trade smyth next summer to clear up cap space.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:15 PM
  #17
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 16,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign24 View Post
Acquiring one of versteeg/buf/sharp won't be an improvement, if at all, over losing frolov. Plus we have to give up something for them. Sign kovalchuk, then trade smyth next summer to clear up cap space.
My post advocates trading for two of the three. Do that and get and good puck moving defenseman in here to play with Johnson and the 5-on-5 offense is going to improve dramatically.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:17 PM
  #18
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign24 View Post
Acquiring one of versteeg/buf/sharp won't be an improvement, if at all, over losing frolov. Plus we have to give up something for them. Sign kovalchuk, then trade smyth next summer to clear up cap space.
Exactly!

We need to either replace Frolov or keep Frolov and add a Vertseeg WITHOUT losing any roster players in a trade.

Kovalchuk just makes so much sense. The timing is right. He is right. The team is ripe.

I don't understand the paranoia driving some of you to resist what can only be the perfect union!

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:19 PM
  #19
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign24 View Post
Frolovs gone. Williams and Stoll are staying for at least next season. DL will sign Kovalchuk. Someone like Eaton will sign here for 1 year.

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Simmonds
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Richardson-Handzus-Brown
Parse-Lewis-Westgarth

Scuderi-Doughty
Johnson-Greene
Eaton-Voynov

Quick/Bernier

We easily finish top 4 in the west with this lineup. Cup Contenders.
Kovalchuk>>>>>>Frolov
Eaton>>>>O'Donnell
Voynov>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jones
Bernier/Quick tandem=
A now playoff experienced young team continues to improve.
Well, yes, it is a good lineup. Unfortunately, we'd be over the cap. You can't have both JW and Stoll and add both Kovy and Eaton. If you want both JW and Stoll then we can only add about a 1 mil FA dman in addition to Kovy. So, if you want Eaton, JW or Stoll needs to go.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:29 PM
  #20
MxK1NGS
Registered User
 
MxK1NGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
First things first, we sign Patrick Marleau.

We then trade Stoll, Williams + picks for Martin St. Louis.

Let go of Frolov, resign Richardson, get a decent D-Man. Seidenberg?

EXTEND DOUGHTY!

Line-up should look like this:

Smyth-Kopitar-St. Louis
Brown-Marleau-Richardson
Modin-Handzus-Simmonds
Clune-Lewis-Parse

Scuderi-Doughty
Johnson-Seidenberg
Greene-Voynov/Muzzin/Hickey

THOUGHTS?

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:33 PM
  #21
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
First things first, we sign Patrick Marleau.

We then trade Stoll, Williams + picks for Martin St. Louis.

Let go of Frolov, resign Richardson, get a decent D-Man. Seidenberg?

EXTEND DOUGHTY!

Line-up should look like this:

Smyth-Kopitar-St. Louis
Brown-Marleau-Richardson
Modin-Handzus-Simmonds
Clune-Lewis-Parse

Scuderi-Doughty
Johnson-Seidenberg
Greene-Voynov/Muzzin/Hickey

THOUGHTS?
If you're still stuck on Marleau, you've lost majority of the board because we want Kovy not Marleau.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:34 PM
  #22
Cook24
Registered User
 
Cook24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chino, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cook24
its not over the cap

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:35 PM
  #23
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 16,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Exactly!

We need to either replace Frolov or keep Frolov and add a Vertseeg WITHOUT losing any roster players in a trade.

Kovalchuk just makes so much sense. The timing is right. He is right. The team is ripe.

I don't understand the paranoia driving some of you to resist what can only be the perfect union!
I'm not completely against adding Kovalchuk, but not at an $8M+ cap hit. I'm simply saying there are other options that are even better and still provide a lot of flexibility down the road. It isn't paranoia. Just take a look at what Pittsburgh had to let go last off season (two very solid defensemen) in order to pay Crosby and Malkin the kind of money those two are making.

Any team that deals with Chicago isn't going to be giving up roster players, because Chicago can't take much if any salary back in return.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:36 PM
  #24
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 16,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
If you're still stuck on Marleau, you've lost majority of the board because we want Kovy not Marleau.
I you have lost the majority of the board, you are probably on the right side of the argument 90% of the time.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:38 PM
  #25
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign24 View Post
its not over the cap
You do realize that Eaton is going to cost between 3 to 4 mil correct? He's making 2 mil this year.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.