HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Personal power skate sharpeners

Old
05-18-2010, 01:42 PM
ryangib

vCash: 500
Personal power skate sharpeners

i'm interested in picking up a skate sharpener for myself to keep down in the basement. does anyone have any experience with the sharptastic device? it seems like a pretty good idea.

http://www.revolhockey.com/SharpTasticPRO.htm

any suggestions???

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 03:26 PM
jsykes

Umm, no. If you want to do it right, there are personal machines out there for home use that work just like the real thing.

Sorry, but they dont even begin to mention different hollows of sharpness, how can they give you a good edge if you cant even pick the edge you want.

It sounds attractive for the price, but I think you'll end up with more problems than its worth.

This is the one that I'd buy. http://www.blackstonesport.com/produ...?product_id=47

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 04:08 PM
ryangib

wow, thats a beautiful machine. i need to start saving my pennies.

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Umm, no. If you want to do it right, there are personal machines out there for home use that work just like the real thing.

Sorry, but they dont even begin to mention different hollows of sharpness, how can they give you a good edge if you cant even pick the edge you want.

It sounds attractive for the price, but I think you'll end up with more problems than its worth.

This is the one that I'd buy. http://www.blackstonesport.com/produ...?product_id=47
Agreed. Even if you go with an older, more traditional model from Blackstone or Blademaster, it's worth it to spend the money.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 04:41 PM
fielder

Sharpening skates properly is a much of an art as it is a science. There are many variables to control/manipulate (ROH,ROC,pitch, etc.) that it seems it would be very difficult to do on a machine like the one pictured.

Also, if you look at the pro machines like blademaster and blackstone, you will see that the grinding wheel turns at somewhere around 3000 to 4000 rpm, where the average 3/8" household drill is probably around 500-800 rpm. This has a huge impact on the trueness and quality of how a blade is sharpened.

I have two friends with decent sharpening machines, one who is a skilled machinist by trade and one who is a former pro hockey player and I wouldn't let either one of them touch my skates.

The guy I go to has been doing it for 30 years and really understands what it takes to properly sharpen skates. He is a craftsman at it; again as much art as science.

fielder is offline   Reply With Quote