HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Discussion: Fantasy Talk, Off-season and More #4

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2010, 12:06 PM
  #876
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,165
vCash: 500
The only things that I'm really eager to change are getting rid of the trapezoid (I have no idea why that isn't being tested at least) and changing from a three to five person shootout. The rest of the league is fine as is for the most part.

I really like that idea of a 3rd ref off the ice though. That would make things interesting. Might have to give him a bodyguard to be protected from the fans if he's going to make calls from the stands.


Last edited by Garbage Goal: 08-09-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 12:10 PM
  #877
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,477
vCash: 553
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
How about they just leave the game alone.

DeadPhish5858 is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 12:13 PM
  #878
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
How about they just leave the game alone.
Yeah, I'm mostly fine with the game as is, but you have to admit that there's areas that they can improve on and/or fix.

These ridiculous cap circumventing contracts have to be fixed by the time the next CBA comes around. Plus, as I mentioned before, a five player shootout, the trapezoid, and possibly that 3rd ref off the ice idea are all quality idea to improve the game.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 12:21 PM
  #879
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Agreed on the trapezoid, I wish they'd just make the trapezoid a "safe zone" for goalies where they can't be hit or whatever, but if they feel like playing the puck outside that area they're free game to get checked like any other defenseman playing the puck.

Jester is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 12:32 PM
  #880
ki11joy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
What is the "Crease Reset Rule?"
I think the crease reset is when a play is blown dead if an attacking player is physically in the crease past a certain amount of time. Think of a flag football game and the "one-mississippi, two-mississippi" count for blitzing if the quarterback doesn't make a move. The play is "reset" and there's an offensive zone face off. I believe it's part of the USA Hockey rulebook.

ki11joy is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 01:16 PM
  #881
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Agreed on the trapezoid, I wish they'd just make the trapezoid a "safe zone" for goalies where they can't be hit or whatever, but if they feel like playing the puck outside that area they're free game to get checked like any other defenseman playing the puck.
That's essentially the reason the trapezoid was brought in. And it really does slow down the game taking the goalie's ability to collect and pass the puck. If their goal is to speed the game up, they should just do what you suggest. Make it a goalie safe zone.

My only thought with that is then opposing players wouldn't pressure behind the net because I can see goalies intentionally getting in the way to draw a penalty.

JLHockeyKnight is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 01:42 PM
  #882
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
That's essentially the reason the trapezoid was brought in. And it really does slow down the game taking the goalie's ability to collect and pass the puck. If their goal is to speed the game up, they should just do what you suggest. Make it a goalie safe zone.

My only thought with that is then opposing players wouldn't pressure behind the net because I can see goalies intentionally getting in the way to draw a penalty.
Well, you basically can't hit the goalie as is... so they'd essentially call it the same. You'd still want to pressure the goalie because that's how you get 'em to be stupid with the puck. Just can't run 'em.

What I'm saying... if a goalie wants to be a 3rd D and play the puck in the corners and whatnot... they're free game and you can run 'em if they expose themselves to a legal check.

EDIT: The problem here is that similar to the QB rules in the NFL, teams are loathe to expose such an important piece of their team to such risk...

Jester is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 01:56 PM
  #883
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, you basically can't hit the goalie as is... so they'd essentially call it the same. You'd still want to pressure the goalie because that's how you get 'em to be stupid with the puck. Just can't run 'em.

What I'm saying... if a goalie wants to be a 3rd D and play the puck in the corners and whatnot... they're free game and you can run 'em if they expose themselves to a legal check.

EDIT: The problem here is that similar to the QB rules in the NFL, teams are loathe to expose such an important piece of their team to such risk...
The Flyers would love that rule since they never really invest much into a goalie anyway.

agrudez* is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 02:15 PM
  #884
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
The Flyers would love that rule since they never really invest much into a goalie anyway.
Frankly, given how awful both Leighton and Boucher are playing the puck... the last thing we need is either of 'em going on walkabouts to the corner. Particularly Boucher...

Jester is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 02:58 PM
  #885
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 47,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Frankly, given how awful both Leighton and Boucher are playing the puck... the last thing we need is either of 'em going on walkabouts to the corner. Particularly Boucher...
i'd be fine with getting those two a dog tether and permanently attaching them to the crossbar.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 03:15 PM
  #886
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
There was something about a week ago that said Asham could still sign here. It just doesn't seem like we have the room on our roster. Holmgren would have to let go of one of the forwards he brought in as a FA this offseason or one of the RFAs we resigned and most just don't see it happening.
Isn't Asham better than Powe? Or is this simply about age - one will last longer than the other?

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 03:45 PM
  #887
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,964
vCash: 500
It always seemed to me like the trapezoid specifically seeks to diminish the puckhandling skill of a goalie. Why should guys like Turco or Marty be punished for having the skill to make a play with the puck? Just seemed pretty arbitrary and unnatural seeing the goalie watching the puck just sit there when clearly the logical thing would be to make a play on it.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 03:58 PM
  #888
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
It always seemed to me like the trapezoid specifically seeks to diminish the puckhandling skill of a goalie. Why should guys like Turco or Marty be punished for having the skill to make a play with the puck? Just seemed pretty arbitrary and unnatural seeing the goalie watching the puck just sit there when clearly the logical thing would be to make a play on it.
After the lockout the NHL made a clear push to become more offensive at a distinct detriment to the overall strategy and play of the game. Basically in this instance they wanted to increase forechecking and keep guys like Dipietro, Brodeur and Turco from completely negating the dump and chase game.

agrudez* is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 04:25 PM
  #889
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,650
vCash: 500
A couple league insiders are reporting that the arbitrator ruled in favour of the NHL in the Kovalchuk contract dispute.

Interesting; I can't wait to see the official word.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 04:27 PM
  #890
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,566
vCash: 505
I can't imagine that Kovalchuk still doesn't stay with the Devils. Remember, they had that presser knowing there was going to be a dispute. They didn't bring him in to let him league unless the arbitrator somehow rules that the Devils are disqualified from signing him, which I highly doubt.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 04:40 PM
  #891
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,121
vCash: 500
I would bet that Lou is reworking the deal as we speak.

FlyersGoalScoredBy tweet: Won't someone please think of the jelly jars?

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 04:58 PM
  #892
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I can't imagine that Kovalchuk still doesn't stay with the Devils. Remember, they had that presser knowing there was going to be a dispute. They didn't bring him in to let him league unless the arbitrator somehow rules that the Devils are disqualified from signing him, which I highly doubt.
As someone who has Kovalchuk in the Flyers Board Keeper League, I'm a little worried he'll hop overseas...

As an NHL fan, I just want to see the justification for the ruling because, if I remember correctly, the arbitrator didn't have to reject the contract outright; he could have proposed an alternative. (If I'm making that up, please disregard...) The only thing I could see the arbitrator rejecting is the salary in the final years of the contract will almost certainly be below the league minimum. Otherwise, the language of the CBA isn't specific enough to not allow the contract, in my opinion.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 05:00 PM
  #893
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Isn't Asham better than Powe? Or is this simply about age - one will last longer than the other?
Asham is better than Powe offensively, but Powe is better defensively. I'm not good at really analyzing the game and picking up on how well individual players play, but Asham occasionally makes some very nice moves with the puck, and he very rarely ever played on the penalty kill, while Powe does get regular PK time.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 05:15 PM
  #894
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,566
vCash: 505
I would bet he's been reworking it, if not giving offers he already made. Don't think Lou isn't happy deep down inside. He said himself these deals shouldn't be allowed. Here is what this forces:

-The next CBA, the league has to address it, and PA gets almost no say about it. A key point in the next CBA talks that the league holds all the cards on. They got a pair of Aces with the other two showing. If the PA doesn't like it, every contract exceeding 10 years with $500K years tacked on the end they're going to take to arbitration and get rejected. Bettman is a lawyer above all, so he'll figure it out.

-Kovalchuk and Grossman had contract demands so astronomical that it was literally impossible for any NHL team to meet them.

-They already had a press conference re-introducing him, so it looks real bad for Kovalchuk if he decides to go to the Kings, or wherever.

Remember, this is a guy who supposedly wants to win and isn't driven by money (which is why he didn't sign with the Islanders), and still tried to squeeze out every penny he possibly could. PR not exactly in favor of the PA in this one either.

And this for a player 10 years into the league who has one more playoff win than I do.

GKJ is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 05:48 PM
  #895
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 47,104
vCash: 500
the devils board is pretty amusing.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 05:52 PM
  #896
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Isn't Asham better than Powe? Or is this simply about age - one will last longer than the other?
Powe can PK and hit much better. Also brings much more energy and speed. Asham has much better offensive instincts, skills, and hands. He also is a better fighter. Kind of a wash as they're different players.

I'm not surprised with the Kovalchuk ruling. I said all along that the NHL would win this. I thought it was pretty obvious they would.

Shouldn't be a big deal though. Unless Kovalchuk is one of the greediest people alive, he'll probably just sign a 15 year deal instead of a 17 year one. Only way that he goes to the KHL is if no one is willing to offer a 15 year-ish deal.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 05:59 PM
  #897
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
As an NHL fan, I just want to see the justification for the ruling because, if I remember correctly, the arbitrator didn't have to reject the contract outright; he could have proposed an alternative. (If I'm making that up, please disregard...) The only thing I could see the arbitrator rejecting is the salary in the final years of the contract will almost certainly be below the league minimum. Otherwise, the language of the CBA isn't specific enough to not allow the contract, in my opinion.
That's my concern as well. If it was based on anything except the salary in the last few years, then there is nothing to support overturning it. And that's dangerous territory.

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 06:14 PM
  #898
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Powe can PK and hit much better. Also brings much more energy and speed. Asham has much better offensive instincts, skills, and hands. He also is a better fighter. Kind of a wash as they're different players.

I'm not surprised with the Kovalchuk ruling. I said all along that the NHL would win this. I thought it was pretty obvious they would.

Shouldn't be a big deal though. Unless Kovalchuk is one of the greediest people alive, he'll probably just sign a 15 year deal instead of a 17 year one. Only way that he goes to the KHL is if no one is willing to offer a 15 year-ish deal.
Yeah, I'll be shocked if they don't just negotiate a similar deal with less years and a higher cap hit. Devs need to suck it up a bit and just take a 6M hit as opposed to 5M.

Jester is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 08:44 PM
  #899
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
This thread is totally


MojoJojo is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 10:35 PM
  #900
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,566
vCash: 505
RT @RealKyper: Told if NHL now press on past long term deals like Kovalchuk's, PA would immediately file individual grievances forcing similar process.


Pronger's contract should be safe, even if the league wants to do something about it.

GKJ is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.