HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

How Sad Were You When Nichols Was Traded?

Old
05-20-2010, 02:05 AM
Scrivezina
Who needs offense?

vCash: 500
I was happy.

I was even happier to be at the game where they both scored hat tricks against the flames. .willl never forget it That's when I thought the trade was worth it.....

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-04-..._kings-playoff

Last edited by Scrivezina: 05-20-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:00 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I'm still pissed that the Kings traded Coffey and it's 2010. Most people assume Gretzky was the GM yet they traded one of his best friends who was having another great offensive season?
... From McNall's book "Fun While it Lasted", page 206:

"Gretzky took the loss hard. He had been moved by the extra effort, the sheer grit of his teammates. Watching them pull so close, only to lose, made him think about retiring. 'It's the hardest loss I've ever had', he told the press. He barely said a word to me in the locker room. But later I went to him and asked him to tell me what was bothering him.

'We could have won the whole thing if Paul [Coffey] was here', said Wayne, his voice clouded by anger. 'I believe this, Bruce, so don't try to talk me out of it. It would have been much different with Paul.'"

My views on the trading away of Coffey have always been the same as Gretzky's. By the time of the Stanley Cup Finals, almost all of the Kings' offense was created by their transition game, and NO one was better at that than Coffey was. On top of that, the players the Kings got for Coffey -- Jimmy Carson, Gary Shuchuk, and Marc Potvin -- were barely playing by the Finals. The Kings were, for all intents and purposes, a man short in the Finals; and considering they lost three games in the finals by one goal, that one man might have made some real difference. I don't think I'll ever get over that trade.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

I still rate the Paul Coffee trade as one of my top 5 worst deals in Kings History. At the time I thought that I must be missing something regarding the fall off of Carson's game (and his minimal resurgence) or that Gary S must be something special and we must really need another grinder or maybe we made the deal to make a better deal.

I found out I was right all along when we were obviously missing Paul during the entirety of his absence.

Hey Kings, you have one of the greatest scoring (not bad two way) defencemen of all time anchoring your blue line and providing you with a dimension to your game that no other team in the league has, what are you gonna do? Were going to Disneyland! (first stop fantasyland where hack droppings from other teams turn out to be amazingly talented players who are key components to winning a cup and can be had on the cheap!).

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

You can all credit Nick Beverly:
http://articles.latimes.com/1993-01-..._wayne-gretzky
http://articles.latimes.com/1994-01-...1_jimmy-carson

Barry Melrose never liked Carson. When the Kings reacquired him, he had become lazy and indifferent.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

I literally sold my Carson 19 jersey the day that we lost in the playoffs and it was signed by him when he was a rookie. (ok, I should have kept for prosperity but I was younger and even dumber than I am today, which in itself seems hard to believe)

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Ollie Weeks

I had to look the year up. I was likely pretty sad; bet you anything I was throwing a tantrum or had fallen down and bashed my head open.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post

"Gretzky took the loss hard. He had been moved by the extra effort, the sheer grit of his teammates. Watching them pull so close, only to lose, made him think about retiring. 'It's the hardest loss I've ever had', he told the press. He barely said a word to me in the locker room. But later I went to him and asked him to tell me what was bothering him.

'We could have won the whole thing if Paul [Coffey] was here', said Wayne, his voice clouded by anger. 'I believe this, Bruce, so don't try to talk me out of it. It would have been much different with Paul.'"

My views on the trading away of Coffey have always been the same as Gretzky's. By the time of the Stanley Cup Finals, almost all of the Kings' offense was created by their transition game, and NO one was better at that than Coffey was. On top of that, the players the Kings got for Coffey -- Jimmy Carson, Gary Shuchuk, and Marc Potvin -- were barely playing by the Finals. The Kings were, for all intents and purposes, a man short in the Finals; and considering they lost three games in the finals by one goal, that one man might have made some real difference. I don't think I'll ever get over that trade.
So do you think this was a power play by Melrose to get his 2 guys from the Red Wings?

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post

Jesus JT, it's bad enough we are lamenting about Nichols, you had to bring up possibly the worst trade in Kings history. Salt meet wound.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Scrivezina
Who needs offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Jesus JT, it's bad enough we are lamenting about Nichols, you had to bring up possibly the worst trade in Kings history. Salt meet wound.
with a lemon

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 10:14 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

The Coffey trade sent me over the edge. Stupid, just F'en stupid.

And, oh yeah, F.... Marc Potvin. I'll leave the reason for PM's. But even Alex Zhitnik knows why!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
The Coffey trade sent me over the edge. Stupid, just F'en stupid.

And, oh yeah, F.... Marc Potvin. I'll leave the reason for PM's. But even Alex Zhitnik knows why!
I'd like to hear this story. Oh and Barry Melrose was a buffoon who liked having a roster full of sloths. Gone were Sandstrom, Robitaille, Sydor, Millen and Donnelly. Enter Phil Crowe, Marc Potvin, Troy Crowder and Barry Potomski. No wonder the team became a parody after 1993.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i was devastated... along with some in and around my age group, that gaggle of Kings players were "our" boys - as opposed to the Triple Crown guys who basically belonged to our dads, and we grew up with them.

i learned to LOVE both Sandstrom and Granato, and Sandstrom eventually became one of my favorite players ever to wear a Kings sweater.

although there wasn't as much readily available information at the time compared to today - where we know just about everything that goes on with players, i later learned from a lot of older Kings fans that Bernie wasn't exactly a model citizen and had an enormously poor work ethic.
Truer words were never spoken. He had a long going affair with a friend of mine. I personally know this as I was sitting at the ice-oplex when they would meet up. She had a very nice collection of his hockey sticks that's for sure. I remember the day like yesterday.

Dooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney View Post
Truer words were never spoken. He had a long going affair with a friend of mine. I personally know this as I was sitting at the ice-oplex when they would meet up. She had a very nice collection of his hockey sticks that's for sure. I remember the day like yesterday.
So, did he run around the bedroom and do the pumpernickel after he...?

Old
05-21-2010, 12:55 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

I was young when all this went down. I didn't start caring too much about trades and all that until ~2000.

Up until then, I just flat out loved the Kings. Didn't follow off-ice affairs at all, but was still a diehard fan. It didn't matter to me who was on the team at all really.

However, the only trade that turned me off the team was losing McSorely. He was such a favorite of mine that I was heartbroken when we lost him. I actually stopped following the team for a year or so after that, because he was by far my favorite player.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:02 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I was young when all this went down. I didn't start caring too much about trades and all that until ~2000.

Up until then, I just flat out loved the Kings. Didn't follow off-ice affairs at all, but was still a diehard fan. It didn't matter to me who was on the team at all really.

However, the only trade that turned me off the team was losing McSorely. He was such a favorite of mine that I was heartbroken when we lost him. I actually stopped following the team for a year or so after that, because he was by far my favorite player.
I would have never pegged YOU for a wanna-be-ME!

Old
05-21-2010, 02:04 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I would have never pegged YOU for a wanna-be-ME!
Judging by my hair situation, I think it would take a little more than being a diehard fan for the full copy-cat to be in place

Oh wait...

Oooooh.

Or is it... pfft?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 1400
I was actually very happy. I knew we were getting two very exciting players in Granato and Sandstrom. Bernie may have been a fan favorite but he was so damn slow!!!

I liked Bernie for his goal celebration. I loved that pumpernicholl. I'm still amazed that he scored 70 goals and 150 pts in a season.

Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Bernie may have been a fan favorite but he was so damn slow!!!

I liked Bernie for his goal celebration. I loved that pumpernicholl. I'm still amazed that he scored 70 goals and 150 pts in a season.
I love it! 70 goals and some still complain!!

(in true pre-Cammy form. not that Cammy will ever approach 70 goals)

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
I love it! 70 goals and some still complain!!

(in true pre-Cammy form. not that Cammy will ever approach 70 goals)
More of stating the fact than complaining, but thanks for sharing.

Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
So, did he run around the bedroom and do the pumpernickel after he...?
Some things are better left unsaid. He used to drive around in a medium blue jag. I'll never forget the look on his face when we were at the ice-o-plex and the three of us were sitting and talking and up walks my friends husband. He had the nerve to give him a signed hockey stick. It was surreal.

Dooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:22 AM
jklipp

Rumor was Bernie used to sleep with his sticks.

jklipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:22 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney View Post
Some things are better left unsaid. He used to drive around in a medium blue jag. I'll never forget the look on his face when we were at the ice-o-plex and the three of us were sitting and talking and up walks my friends husband. He had the nerve to give him a signed hockey stick. It was surreal.
So the "Pump-her Nicholl" was the only d-bag here? You should evaluate the character of those you choose as friends, Dooney. Does this female bud of yours charge by the hour/act, or might there be an adult film alias she goes by? Takes two to tango.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklipp View Post
Rumor was Bernie used to sleep with his sticks.
...and once in a while managed to score a hat trick! BOOM!

Old
05-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
So the "Pump-her Nicholl" was the only d-bag here? You should evaluate the character of those you choose as friends, Dooney. Does this female bud of yours charge by the hour/act, or might there be an adult film alias she goes by? Takes two to tango.
Women bare no responsibility for their actions, everybody knows that!

They're like little children but with credit cards and hair bleach.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 03:04 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post

I call WATERFOWL! Like you are one to talk?!?

You ought to evalute the hockey team you support before coming on this board and bashing a friend of us all!

The only good duck, is served on a plate!

BOOM!