HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Season Ticket Increase, MN UFAs, Draft Picks, etc

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-19-2010, 07:53 AM
  #1
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs
 
UMD05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
Season Ticket Increase, MN UFAs, Draft Picks, etc

Russo has some good stuff in his latest blog.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...iU17cQiU47cQUU

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 10:33 AM
  #2
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,521
vCash: 50
Not going to comment on the blog he put up, but that is probably one of the best written pieces he's had in awhile. Very down to earth, blunt, and most importantly honest for once. There is no nut hugging on Boogie who needs to leave this team.

Far as the ticket freeze goes for next year, doesn't matter. I'm not renewing when you raise it after 2 years of missing the playoffs. I'm sorry, that is retarded as hell and with any other team not named the Rangers or the Red Wings (basically) you are going to lose your ticket holders that way. It is almost like they look at Toronto and go "well they can do it with passionate fans, so we might be able to as well!" I'm a fan that they are attempting at least to get the concession prices down. We did the math the other day, and here is a good future reference for those who are debating about having season tickets:

Section 122, Row 14, seats 5 & 6 are $72/each a game. There are 41 games next season because of Finland (of which you get no incentives for). That is $6k right there just for tickets. A parking pass in the Smith ramp for the entire season is $600 next year for 41 games. The average concession for two people ranged from $50-$200 depending on how much alcohol was consumed at the game. We'll go halfway and say $90/game for two people. That is basically 2 hamburgers ($20) and 6 drinks ($70).

So for next year:

Tickets: $6000
Parking: $600
Concessions: $3600 (yep HALF of what your tickets cost)

So all in all you are spending close to $10k of your income to go to 41 hockey games, of which the team will lose about 1/4, if not more, of those. And these prices are justified by the one divisional title we own, and the one conference final we have played in?

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 11:41 AM
  #3
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
I went to one game last year and it cost me $200...that's my pocket money for an entire month, or two weeks of groceries. I'm on a shoestring budget.

They're in the business to make money, that's fine, I just don't have any. I'll watch for free on TV though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 11:47 AM
  #4
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,521
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I went to one game last year and it cost me $200...that's my pocket money for an entire month, or two weeks of groceries. I'm on a shoestring budget.

They're in the business to make money, that's fine, I just don't have any. I'll watch for free on TV though.
Well its understandable because its a business and we are the consumers of that business, but its hardly justified in a state where there are more options for your hockey fix than just the pro team. The sellout streak will be in jeopardy next year unless they continue to be shady at the box office and sell the tickets for pennies on the dollar. They did it twice to my knowledge this season with Nashville and Phoenix weekday games.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:27 PM
  #5
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Last year, I think they did games where you if you wanted to see a game against say the Sharks, then you'd have to buy that game plus a Wednesday night game against like Phoenix. That's what they did it seems like. It's all about supply and demand, but most of us won't be able to afford that kind of money for a while, and we could very well see the sellout streak come to an end if we aren't better next year.

If we somehow are able to be near the top of the conference, then I don't think it will end, but if we are staying around 10th in the conference, then it will most likely end because people simply can't pay $200 to go to a game.

Free agents, it's nice to hear that they are getting vibes that Boogaard will probably be let go. 1.25M can be spent on much better things than Boogaard, the only free agent that may be coming back is Ebbett in my mind, and maybe Nolan, but I see Nolan going somewhere else. It will be an interesting summer to say the least.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:35 PM
  #6
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,521
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Last year, I think they did games where you if you wanted to see a game against say the Sharks, then you'd have to buy that game plus a Wednesday night game against like Phoenix. That's what they did it seems like. It's all about supply and demand, but most of us won't be able to afford that kind of money for a while, and we could very well see the sellout streak come to an end if we aren't better next year.
They aren't the first team to do that, but it was their way of securing maximum attendance based on ticket sales than butts in seats. At that point, the ticket is already purchased (so they have their money) and they know if a person won't go they'll sell it for cheap just to get rid of it. It is a gamble though because it can draw people to not purchase from the Wild directly and they'll go to the STH's to get them instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
If we somehow are able to be near the top of the conference, then I don't think it will end, but if we are staying around 10th in the conference, then it will most likely end because people simply can't pay $200 to go to a game.
Regular season won't really matter per say, its making it to the playoffs that means more to this state. According to Forbes we are #9 for most miserable sports cities based on legacy. The Twins are our only saving grace. If we make a WCF run again, we will see an increase in every market available that supports the Wild. This state just wants to win a championship again. Its been close to 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Free agents, it's nice to hear that they are getting vibes that Boogaard will probably be let go. 1.25M can be spent on much better things than Boogaard, the only free agent that may be coming back is Ebbett in my mind, and maybe Nolan, but I see Nolan going somewhere else. It will be an interesting summer to say the least.
All three of them can leave. Saves us around $4M that we need for Koivu and Burns next year.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:51 PM
  #7
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
They aren't the first team to do that, but it was their way of securing maximum attendance based on ticket sales than butts in seats. At that point, the ticket is already purchased (so they have their money) and they know if a person won't go they'll sell it for cheap just to get rid of it. It is a gamble though because it can draw people to not purchase from the Wild directly and they'll go to the STH's to get them instead.
Yeah, well I think we see a drop in attendance especially if no big moves are made this offseason, it's just hard to get super excited about our roster right now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Regular season won't really matter per say, its making it to the playoffs that means more to this state. According to Forbes we are #9 for most miserable sports cities based on legacy. The Twins are our only saving grace. If we make a WCF run again, we will see an increase in every market available that supports the Wild. This state just wants to win a championship again. Its been close to 20 years.
Twins are our closest thing to winning a championship, the Vikes had a real good shot last year, but we'll see if they can do it again. They are our flop team, can't ever quite pull it out so we can never get our hopes up on them. If anyone is going to bring us a championship, it's most likely the Twins.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
All three of them can leave. Saves us around $4M that we need for Koivu and Burns next year.
I agree, I wouldn't mind Ebbett on a low salaried deal. I doubt he gets much attention on the open market. I only say this because of our terrible depth at the center position. It seems like we could land Cullen, which would work for at least a year or two. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Wild uniform if we can't get anything done via trade. We'll have to wait and see.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:56 PM
  #8
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Regular season won't really matter per say, its making it to the playoffs that means more to this state. According to Forbes we are #9 for most miserable sports cities based on legacy. The Twins are our only saving grace. If we make a WCF run again, we will see an increase in every market available that supports the Wild. This state just wants to win a championship again. Its been close to 20 years.
No, the saving grace on that list is the Lakers. Seriously, the Twin Cities would be a lot higher if it wasn't for the four or five titles in the 40s and 50s.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:40 PM
  #9
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,521
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
No, the saving grace on that list is the Lakers. Seriously, the Twin Cities would be a lot higher if it wasn't for the four or five titles in the 40s and 50s.
Very true. But we'd still be better than Buffalo and Seattle

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:32 PM
  #10
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Very true. But we'd still be better than Buffalo and Seattle
And probably Atlanta and San Diego as well, but that still makes us #4-5 instead of #9.

Actually, the saddest thing about Minnesota sports is how the four teams are 0-5 in the Western Conference Finals/NFC Championship/ALCS since the Twins' 1991 World Series. There are 18 year-olds who have never seen a Twin Cities sports team reach a final, let alone win one. Only Kansas City (with two teams) has had a longer streak out of cities with more than one sports team.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:25 PM
  #11
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
It's supply and demand, I have nothing against it. I still find Gopher games more fun to go to anyway and get the gold club tickets for free (wish they still had beer though).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:35 AM
  #12
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post

Actually, the saddest thing about Minnesota sports is how the four teams are 0-5 in the Western Conference Finals/NFC Championship/ALCS since the Twins' 1991 World Series. There are 18 year-olds who have never seen a Twin Cities sports team reach a final, let alone win one. Only Kansas City (with two teams) has had a longer streak out of cities with more than one sports team.
I think it has to do with mismangement. You had really stringy owners in McCombs and Pohlad. Complete cluster****s in whoever runs the Timberwolves. And then the stalling and then mismangement of the Wild.

Part of this I blame on the fans; you guys caved in for the Twins' stadium. I am surprised the Timberwolves haven't been rumored to move. The Wild put up with crap movements and bad drafting for years without the media putting any pressure on the team (and guess where the media gets it's news! Fans!).

the only team that has done any good in Minnesota is the Vikings once they got a new owner. He made brilliant moves like trading for Jared Allen, letting Childress grab Favre. He's been fighting tooth and nail for a stadium and he definitely will put up the funds. And they have been pretty good at drafting.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 08:24 AM
  #13
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,521
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
I think it has to do with mismangement. You had really stringy owners in McCombs and Pohlad. Complete cluster****s in whoever runs the Timberwolves. And then the stalling and then mismangement of the Wild.

Part of this I blame on the fans; you guys caved in for the Twins' stadium. I am surprised the Timberwolves haven't been rumored to move. The Wild put up with crap movements and bad drafting for years without the media putting any pressure on the team (and guess where the media gets it's news! Fans!).

the only team that has done any good in Minnesota is the Vikings once they got a new owner. He made brilliant moves like trading for Jared Allen, letting Childress grab Favre. He's been fighting tooth and nail for a stadium and he definitely will put up the funds. And they have been pretty good at drafting.
Well this just put it all into perspective with you now. Should of figured when I saw the Vikings stuff in the Football thread.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 09:31 AM
  #14
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,948
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post

the only team that has done any good in Minnesota is the Vikings once they got a new owner. He made brilliant moves like trading for Jared Allen, letting Childress grab Favre. He's been fighting tooth and nail for a stadium and he definitely will put up the funds. And they have been pretty good at drafting.
Nonsense. The Vikings have never won jack squat. The Twins are the standard bearers in Minnesota professional sports, past, present, and future.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 10:14 AM
  #15
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Nonsense. The Vikings have never won jack squat. The Twins are the standard bearers in Minnesota professional sports, past, present, and future.
Vikings have had more success in the past 5 years than any of the other Minnesota teams combined.

Twins are not built for post season success. When was the last time they actually made it out of the 1st round of the playoffs?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:09 PM
  #16
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,948
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Vikings have had more success in the past 5 years than any of the other Minnesota teams combined.

Twins are not built for post season success. When was the last time they actually made it out of the 1st round of the playoffs?
2002.

And the Vikings? No Super Bowl appearances in 43 years; 0 Super Bowl victories. Is that your standard of post-season success?

The past 5 years, the Vikings have won 1 playoff game.

Actually over the last 5 years, the Wild have had more success than the rest of Minny's teams combined, with an 11-14 record in the post-season, if that is your barometer for success.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:02 PM
  #17
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 500
Guys, guys, let's be civil here. Until any team wins a title (and by title I mean as a Minnesota team; I'm looking at you Stars and LA Vikings), they are all failures.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 03:28 PM
  #18
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness
 
firstroundbust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Section 122, Row 14, seats 5 & 6 are $72/each a game.
for $500 more you could sit next to me in the club level

my seats are 75/per game...come on up, the water's warm...

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 03:36 PM
  #19
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
2002.

And the Vikings? No Super Bowl appearances in 43 years; 0 Super Bowl victories. Is that your standard of post-season success?
43 years? I thought they made it to the Super Bowl 75? So that's only 25 years. Oh wait 1977! So 23 years.

They were one play away from the Super Bowl last year. Unlike the Twins that continually get swept or blown out of the water.

Quote:
The past 5 years, the Vikings have won 1 playoff game.
And the Twins? Right. Have won no playoff series. Vikings have one two series.

Quote:
Actually over the last 5 years, the Wild have had more success than the rest of Minny's teams combined, with an 11-14 record in the post-season, if that is your barometer for success.
Wow, that's...great...

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:02 PM
  #20
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,948
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
43 years? I thought they made it to the Super Bowl 75? So that's only 25 years. Oh wait 1977! So 23 years.

They were one play away from the Super Bowl last year. Unlike the Twins that continually get swept or blown out of the water.



And the Twins? Right. Have won no playoff series. Vikings have one two series.



Wow, that's...great...
LOL, neither of us can add - 33 years!

Well, you just go ahead and enjoy the futility of being a Viking fan. While the Twins 2 World Series Championship banners fly over their state of the art stadium, the Vikings can continue that search for an elusive championship in the Dome, or Los Angeles.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:15 PM
  #21
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 500
It'll be in LA and then they'll start a dynasty. Let's face it, the Twin Cities is nothing more than Loserville, USA (does PA still use that term?).

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:26 PM
  #22
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,948
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It'll be in LA and then they'll start a dynasty. Let's face it, the Twin Cities is nothing more than Loserville, USA (does PA still use that term?).
Lakers 2.0? There would be a certain irony to having teams in LA called Lakers and Vikings.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:31 PM
  #23
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 500
It wouldn't be as good as having a team named the Raiders being shipped back and forth between cities. But either way, back on topic...

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 05:53 PM
  #24
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness
 
firstroundbust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It wouldn't be as good as having a team named the Raiders being shipped back and forth between cities. But either way, back on topic...
Or the Cardinals (Arizona and St. Louis)...or the Rams (LA and STL)


Do we really need to go in depth with Minnesota's illustrious history of non-achievement in athletics?

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.