HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Hockey Canada defends Crosby; IIHF deletes controversial article

Old
05-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Roamin

vCash: 500
Hockey Canada defends Crosby; IIHF deletes controversial article

Just wanted to post this incase it hasn't been yet.

http://www.iihf.com/sk/channels10/ii...ash=08728f0ea7

good read about players ditching the worlds for anyone who's also bored this morning at work.

Sorry, fixed.

Last edited by Roamin: 05-19-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Linkie no workie.

This thread is now about ceiling cats.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:25 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
Just wanted to post this incase it hasn't been yet.

http://www.iihf.com/channels10/iihf-...ash=3e7dceb79e

good read about players ditching the worlds for anyone who's also bored this morning at work.
Error!
Reason: Segment "iihf-...ash=3e7dceb79e" was not a keyword for a postVarSet as expected!

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Flicktron

Ridiculous, why can't someone take time off after the playoffs without being thrown to the wolves?...

http://www.iihf.com/nc/home-of-hocke...r-country.html

Flicktron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Eband00

Has to do with the pride you have...

Russians are extremely proud and patritotic people. Thats why they never say no to play for the motherland...

As for other countries....

Eband00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

That this is on the IIHF website is not really all that surprising.

Let's not make this more than it is, which is a sporting event. You aren't turning your back on your country. You aren't shirking military service. You are opting out of a sporting event, and another countryman is taking your place. It's not a war.

We all watch, and we all enjoy the game, but it is at the end of the day just that: A game. The melodrama is a bit rich.

What this is about is that many players don't think the World Championships are a particularly big deal, certainly when compared to the Olympics or the Stanley Cup, and IIHF disgruntlement at this perception.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:48 PM
mrb91

As much as I would like to play I am sure if i had done it before, just played months of tough hockey, been way from my family for long stretches of time, and had my year ended in the playoffs after hoping to win the Stanley Cup I am sure I would have some reservations.

mrb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Roamin

I just can't believe how many players the article says declined. 100?
I wouldn't have ever guessed it was that many.

Old
05-19-2010, 12:55 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
# I am tired.
# I am not motivated, and I am thus of no use to the team.
# I am injured (…but had my team advanced to the next round of the playoffs I would have played)
# I don’t want to leave my family. Three weeks is an awfully long time away from home.
# I have no contract for next season. If I am injured, my career is in jeopardy.

All of these are legitimate reasons. I'd rather spend 3 weeks with my family than in Germany. I'd also much rather risk playing with something torn in the Stanley Cup Finals than I would for the IIHF.

That said, complaining about them not going is just as bad as complaining about the ones who did go. No one's ever happy.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

The IIHF should be taking messages from this situation, not sending them out, and they should be selling the tournament, not slamming those who refuse to participate.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:00 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktron View Post
Ridiculous, why can't someone take time off after the playoffs without being thrown to the wolves?...

http://www.iihf.com/nc/home-of-hocke...r-country.html
You clearly didnt read the article. He also writing about people who havent played in the playoffs or been resting for a month who says no.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:03 PM
bigdirty

I understand how big the WC is in Europe, but this writer really doesn't seem to understand that in Canada and the USA, this tournament is a consolation prize at best.

If you polled North American players I am sure that 0% would say they want to play in this tournament.
That's just how it is, guys here will hide injuries and fight through pain for the Stanley Cup, but once that hope ends, they might rather rest for next season, rather than risk further injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
He also writing about people who havent played in the playoffs or been resting for a month who says no.
Personally, I don't care what anyone's reason for not playing is, they've been through enough during the season, and they do have lives outside of hockey.

bigdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:06 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
# I am tired.
# I am not motivated, and I am thus of no use to the team.
# I am injured (…but had my team advanced to the next round of the playoffs I would have played)
# I don’t want to leave my family. Three weeks is an awfully long time away from home.
# I have no contract for next season. If I am injured, my career is in jeopardy.

All of these are legitimate reasons. I'd rather spend 3 weeks with my family than in Germany. I'd also much rather risk playing with something torn in the Stanley Cup Finals than I would for the IIHF.

That said, complaining about them not going is just as bad as complaining about the ones who did go. No one's ever happy.
yeah, i thought that injury one was a pretty low blow myself and just ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
You clearly didnt read the article. He also writing about people who havent played in the playoffs or been resting for a month who says no.
no, he seems to be pointing fingers all around. for example he brings up nicklas backstrom who he says is "suddenly injured"

Last edited by KaylaJ: 05-19-2010 at 01:13 PM.
KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Roamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
That this is on the IIHF website is not really all that surprising.

Let's not make this more than it is, which is a sporting event. You aren't turning your back on your country. You aren't shirking military service. You are opting out of a sporting event, and another countryman is taking your place. It's not a war.

We all watch, and we all enjoy the game, but it is at the end of the day just that: A game. The melodrama is a bit rich.

What this is about is that many players don't think the World Championships are a particularly big deal, certainly when compared to the Olympics or the Stanley Cup, and IIHF disgruntlement at this perception.
Tell that to the South African Springbok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XwcCaGvh9A

Old
05-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

How can it be the World Hockey Championships when not all of the best players in the world can attend due to playoff obligations? I watch tons of hockey but don't give this one the time of day. It's only slightly higher on the relevancy scale than the Spengler Cup for me.

Since this is actually posted on the IIHF website, the North American NHL players should show how stupid the article is, and the IIHF is for posting it, by not showing up at all next year. If the Euros value it so much they can have it. Who cares.

Tim McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
Personally, I don't care what anyone's reason for not playing is, they've been through enough during the season, and they do have lives outside of hockey.
This, hockey players get what? 3 months a year to themselves and their families? Unless I had nothing better to do, I wouldn't waste 3 weeks or 25% of my total vacation time playing a meaningless tournament.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

If the IIHF is serious about improving participation, start the tournament in early July each year. Otherwise, don't lament that many countries are sending their B or C teams.

Old
05-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Roamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
I understand how big the WC is in Europe, but this writer really doesn't seem to understand that in Canada and the USA, this tournament is a consolation prize at best.

If you polled North American players I am sure that 0% would say they want to play in this tournament.
That's just how it is, guys here will hide injuries and fight through pain for the Stanley Cup, but once that hope ends, they might rather rest for next season, rather than risk further injury.

and on the flip side of that some people say "I don't care what the players cry about or refuse, they get paid too much/enough to do it" and yada yada yada.

My 2cents on this is, if you love hockey, you want to rep your country, you go play.
if you don't, then you don't but don't throw dumb excuses into the wind.

TIRED is not an excuse.
this is what they live for, train for, and love.

Old
05-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Roamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McCracken View Post
How can it be the World Hockey Championships when not all of the best players in the world can attend due to playoff obligations? I watch tons of hockey but don't give this one the time of day. It's only slightly higher on the relevancy scale than the Spengler Cup for me.

Since this is actually posted on the IIHF website, the North American NHL players should show how stupid the article is, and the IIHF is for posting it, by not showing up at all next year. If the Euros value it so much they can have it. Who cares.
thanks for not reading it.

Old
05-19-2010, 01:24 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
"I am injured (…but had my team advanced to the next round of the playoffs I would have played)"

I consider that a perfectly legit reason.

Players miss regular season games with injuries that they would have played through in the playoffs. It comes down to how important the games are. The playoffs are as important as it gets, it's what you play your entire life for.

The issue here is that the WC thinks it's actually a major best-on-best tournament. It simply isn't.

There's plenty of other tournaments that happen where players don't go mainly because the tournament isn't important...but they don't get mentioned.

If the IIHF wants to have the WCs be a major event for NHL players they need to adjust the schedule so that all of them can participate.

Also, yes I understand that "players don't go because it's not important" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. But it's not reasonable to rag on players for not participating in something that doesn't matter simple because the teams are divided up based on where you were born.

Last edited by hatterson: 05-19-2010 at 01:38 PM.
hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Roamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
This, hockey players get what? 3 months a year to themselves and their families? Unless I had nothing better to do, I wouldn't waste 3 weeks or 25% of my total vacation time playing a meaningless tournament.
I guess you don't love hockey that much.

Old
05-19-2010, 01:34 PM
bigdirty

Quote:
and on the flip side of that some people say "I don't care what the players cry about or refuse, they get paid too much/enough to do it" and yada yada yada.

My 2cents on this is, if you love hockey, you want to rep your country, you go play.
if you don't, then you don't but don't throw dumb excuses into the wind.

TIRED is not an excuse.
this is what they live for, train for, and love.
This is exactly what I disagree with.
Sadly, there is no hope for legitimate discussion here. You made that very clear with some of your other posts in this thread:

Quote:
I guess you don't love hockey that much.
Quote:
thanks for not reading it.
What did you really think you were accomplishing here?

Bottom line is, NA players aren't always going to extend their season even longer just because Europeans have decided this tournament is supposed to mean a lot.

bigdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It's mutual disregard, too. This does not get said enough.

When Europeans schedule their tournament to overlap with the Stanley Cup playoffs, they are saying that they don't really care if the US and Canada send their best teams to the World Championships.

This is a tournament for players in the European leagues. Its annual scheduling is an insult to the NHL. Whenever it is held in North America, I would support a delay until the NHL is finished play.

Old
05-19-2010, 01:43 PM
um

i really repect players who suit up for there teams shows that they love there country but more importantly that they just love hockey and they wanna play

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:44 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
I'm not here to judge.

Think about it: Would you feel like flying over to possibly a different continent to play in a tournament consisting of 2nd tier players and other guys who teams have been knocked out?

Russia does indeed get a very good representation every year as opposed to some countries, but 8 or so years ago, players were quite disgruntled with the hierarchy so not so much.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote