HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Hockey Canada defends Crosby; IIHF deletes controversial article

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-19-2010, 01:46 PM
  #26
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,322
vCash: 500
hooray World Championships during an Olympic Year

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:48 PM
  #27
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
It's mutual disregard, too. This does not get said enough.

When Europeans schedule their tournament to overlap with the Stanley Cup playoffs, they are saying that they don't really care if the US and Canada send their best teams to the World Championships.

This is a tournament for players in the European leagues. Its annual scheduling is an insult to the NHL. Whenever it is held in North America, I would support a delay until the NHL is finished play.
fat chance of that ever happening

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:50 PM
  #28
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,975
vCash: 500
Hockey Canada comes to defence of Crosby after IIHF swipe

Quote:
COLOGNE, Germany -- Hockey Canada has come out in defence of Sidney Crosby after the International Ice Hockey Federation included him in a swipe at players who declined invitations to attend the world hockey championship.

The IIHF posted a story titled "Saying No to Your Country" on its website Wednesday, claiming that players who chose not to participate were turning "their backs not only on the team and its fans but also to the system which developed them and made them rich and famous." The story, written by IIHF communications director Szymon Szemberg, names Crosby, Henrik Zetterberg and Nicklas Backstrom, among others.

"How can a player who is 22 or 25 or 27, and who was just eliminated from the playoffs be tired?" Szemberg wrote. "Tired is a miner who works in a damp pit in Miktivka, in the Donetz Plateau in Ukraine, who never sees daylight and who provides living for a family of five in a modest two-room apartment. That is tired.

"Tired is a divorced mother with two young kids who double shifts as a nurse assistant and cleaning lady to make ends meet.

"Why is a 22-year-old Sidney Crosby tired when a 34-year-old Ryan Smyth is answering the bell for his country despite having represented Canada at the worlds already on eight occasions?"

Scott Salmond, the men's national team director for Hockey Canada, called the story "inappropriate."

"Sidney Crosby's the guy they singled out -- he's played in two finals (in 2008 and 2009), he's played in the second round of the playoffs (this year), he's played in the Olympics for us," said Salmond. "I don't think it's fair to single him out. We respect where he is and we respect what he's done for us and I think what he'll do for us in the future."

There are fewer NHL stars at this year's world championship because it is being held so soon after the Vancouver Olympics in February.

Hockey Canada extended an open invitation to its available Olympic players to come to the world championship. Forward Corey Perry was the only one to take them up on the offer and says he understands why others didn't.

"You've got to look at the guys that didn't come -- a lot of guys were in the playoffs and a lot of guys played in the Olympics," said Perry. "That's a lot hockey when you play 82 games and then the Olympics and then you start playing playoffs. The emotion level is so high that it's tough to get going again with a little layoff. It's not the easiest thing to do.

"I respect their decisions."

Canadian captain Ray Whitney took issue with the fact that Crosby's name was included in the story.

"I don't think it's fair to mention him," said Whitney. "Obviously, any big tournament would like to have one of the world's top players, (but) the IIHF doesn't understand how hard the NHL is, how hard the schedule is. ...

"I think (the IIHF) should concentrate more on making it more appealing for guys like (Crosby) to want to come over here and play."

Salmond noted that Hockey Canada is already thinking about the 2014 Olympics and wanted to start exposing more young players to international competition.

He recalled the 2002 world championship where Canada had more than 60 players decline an invitation to the event. The program has grown a lot since then.

"We were thrilled with the response we had," said Salmond. "We had guys calling us and that didn't happen 10 years ago."
I think Hockey Canada would be wise to stop inviting players after the 1st round of the playoffs. The very rarely accept and it can create bad publicity.
Or at least stop making announcements as to who has been invited.

Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:54 PM
  #29
unknown33
Registered User
 
unknown33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Europe
Country: Marshall Islands
Posts: 3,058
vCash: 500
This why in my opinion Europeans have more heart and pride dedicated to the game than NAs.

unknown33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:56 PM
  #30
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,975
vCash: 500
Here is the original IIHF article:

Saying No To Your Country

Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:59 PM
  #31
Snauen*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 395
vCash: 500
Proves the fact that many players theese days are spoiled brats (Crosby INCLUDED..).

Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:01 PM
  #32
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,614
vCash: 500
I'm curious how the World Championships, or really any IIHF tournament, developed Crosby and made him rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauen View Post
Proves the fact that many players theese days are spoiled brats (Crosby INCLUDED..).
How so?

Going to this tournament isn't going to give homes to the homeless or cure cancer. It's going to make the IIHF more money, which is the real reason they're pissed. Not because of some nationalism ********. Just because they don't, for whatever reason, want to go to this tournament, it doesn't mean they're spoiled brats. Would they be spoiled brats to turn down spending time with their families to go play a meaningless tournament? How does that logic work?

Hell, Sid Crosby doesn't play on my summer beer league team even though at least two people own his sweater. What a brat, right?

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:02 PM
  #33
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser
 
mrmyheadhurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,872
vCash: 50
I think Canada is treating the Worlds as a development competition and rightfully so. It's not a best on best tournament and I know I only follow with moderate interest. Give the younger players a chance to try out international competition and treat it as a tryout for the Olympics/World Cup.

Article comes off as whiny and insecure.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:03 PM
  #34
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,357
vCash: 500
What a foolish article. Like they know what it takes to play until June, win the Cup, come back the next year, play 82 games and then 12 more.

More evidence that this is the most mickey mouse little tournament going. Quite literally no one cares about it - and these kind of dumb articles won't help.

SpezDispenser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:03 PM
  #35
Jim Morrison
Registered User
 
Jim Morrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Here is the original IIHF article:

Saying No To Your Country
GREAT article, and true.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:07 PM
  #36
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,668
vCash: 500
Wait people read IIHF articles now?

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:07 PM
  #37
Roamin
Registered User
 
Roamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
This is exactly what I disagree with.
Sadly, there is no hope for legitimate discussion here. You made that very clear with some of your other posts in this thread:





What did you really think you were accomplishing here?

Bottom line is, NA players aren't always going to extend their season even longer just because Europeans have decided this tournament is supposed to mean a lot.
I wanted to post that link on the boards. and I accomplished that.
I'm not trying to sway anyones mind.
But what I also did want to point out about "not reading the article" was its not NA vs Europe..
which many of you seem to think it is.
The article was talking about everyone who did not want to come.
Canada, USA, Czechs, Sweden, Finland so on.

and I only use the example of Crosby since he's always defended with "he's played sooooo much hockey in the last 3 years"
yeah well, he signed up for that role, and there's lots of other players who have played just as much as he did that are at the worlds playing right now.

Clearly if you think the Worlds means nothing and you don't go.
You just don't love hockey as much as the next guy that does go no matter what, like Ryan Smyth.

I don't want to hear players saying they're "tired"
that is the lamest excuse they can come up with.
probably just shows the world how commited they are to hockey or their fitness.

thats just my 2cents, I don't expect anyone to agree, as I don't really care to change your mind any. If its meaningless to you, thats your take. but it means THE WORLD to some people and to some players and some kids growing up and idolizing hockey.

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:07 PM
  #38
howley
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
and on the flip side of that some people say "I don't care what the players cry about or refuse, they get paid too much/enough to do it" and yada yada yada.

My 2cents on this is, if you love hockey, you want to rep your country, you go play.
if you don't, then you don't but don't throw dumb excuses into the wind.

TIRED is not an excuse.
this is what they live for, train for, and love.
TIRED is a pretty good excuse in my opinion. Do we want a player there that can play at 100% or close to it or do we want a player there who is tired and banged up and not 100%?

You keep mentioning "love hockey." How much hockey do you play a year? How much do you travel with it? How much are you away from home? How beat up do you get through a season? How many days off do you get? What kind of mental strain do you go through when playing? You have no idea what these guys go through in an 82 game schedule. It's not a life for everyone. They may "love" hockey but when it comes to the end. It's nice to have a break. Just as it is with anything, too much of a good thing is still too much.

I was an athlete in a different sport and people have no idea what it takes to get through a season. Constantly on the road, constantly talking, thinking, eating, breathing, learning the sport from the minute you wake up to the minute you fall asleep. Constantly battling some nagging injury, being sore, being sick, icing yourself, etc. Living with the same group of guys for 8 months (or more) can start to drive you crazy when the only space you have is a small hotel room with a few other guys. Never eating home cooked meals, seeing your kids grow up over skype, listening to your wife cry on the phone because she had a bad day and your not around to help, having family members pass away and your not able to be around. There is so much more but no one can say to these guys don't have the right to say "NO" to going and playing in some b class tournament at the end of a long season, that may or may not have included playoffs and olympics and a long playoff run last season.

You say they live for, train for and love their sport. Your wrong. They train for their sport but in the end there are a lot more important things in life than tying up the laces and going for a skate. Jose Theodore could probably give a little more insight into that.

Maybe we should be looking at the guys that did accept the invitation and how it could be perceived that after a long season they are neglecting their families.....(I don't actually think this at all, just the other side of the coin)

howley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:08 PM
  #39
NeverGoingToWin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
GREAT article, and true.
Terrible article and not even close to being true.

I would like it if all the top players played for Canada but I do not think it is mandatory.

NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:09 PM
  #40
Jim Morrison
Registered User
 
Jim Morrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley#15 View Post
Terrible article and not even close to being true.

I would like it if all the top players played for Canada but I do not think it is mandatory.
It was my opinion but If i may, what in that article is incorrect? He even lists all of the excuses that are used all the time.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:10 PM
  #41
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
GREAT article, and true.
Not in the case of Crosby, given that the national team program that the article claims he is unfairly screwing over and destroying came out and basically told the author to **** off.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:10 PM
  #42
NeverGoingToWin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
That this is on the IIHF website is not really all that surprising.

Let's not make this more than it is, which is a sporting event. You aren't turning your back on your country. You aren't shirking military service. You are opting out of a sporting event, and another countryman is taking your place. It's not a war.

We all watch, and we all enjoy the game, but it is at the end of the day just that: A game. The melodrama is a bit rich.

What this is about is that many players don't think the World Championships are a particularly big deal, certainly when compared to the Olympics or the Stanley Cup, and IIHF disgruntlement at this perception.
+1...

NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:11 PM
  #43
Jim Morrison
Registered User
 
Jim Morrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Wait people read IIHF articles now?
No, didn't you know the entire world only reads TSN articles?

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:13 PM
  #44
Jim Morrison
Registered User
 
Jim Morrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Not in the case of Crosby, given that the national team program that the article claims he is unfairly screwing over and destroying came out and basically told the author to **** off.
Why did Malkin accept and Crosby decline?

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:15 PM
  #45
Snauen*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
I'm curious how the World Championships, or really any IIHF tournament, developed Crosby and made him rich.



How so?

Going to this tournament isn't going to give homes to the homeless or cure cancer. It's going to make the IIHF more money, which is the real reason they're pissed. Not because of some nationalism ********. Just because they don't, for whatever reason, want to go to this tournament, it doesn't mean they're spoiled brats. Would they be spoiled brats to turn down spending time with their families to go play a meaningless tournament? How does that logic work?

Hell, Sid Crosby doesn't play on my summer beer league team even though at least two people own his sweater. What a brat, right?
Decent post. You forget one thing though. We, 'the fans' is what make Crosby what he is and is the reason that 'made him rich'. The hockeyfans comes to games, watch Crosby play, watch TV. Whitout you and me, Crosby would be a poor spoiled brat, now he is a rich spoiled brat and therefore he should participate in all games he can and not play golf.

Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:16 PM
  #46
NeverGoingToWin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
It was my opinion but If i may, what in that article is incorrect? He even lists all of the excuses that are used all the time.
Everything. I do not agree with a single thing in the article.

NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:18 PM
  #47
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,846
vCash: 500
How much hockey do you need to play to love hockey, anyway?

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:18 PM
  #48
Jim Morrison
Registered User
 
Jim Morrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley#15 View Post
Everything. I do not agree with a single thing in the article.
Great response, I bet you haven't even read it. I posted this question above but I want to ask you too, why do you think Malkin accepted his calling but Crosby did not? Haven't they played the same amount of games?

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:19 PM
  #49
Ilyeu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
I didn't agree with the Crosby snip, however, most of the article is true. If you think this opinion is stupid, we'll it's no more stupid than you saying this tournament is a mickey mouse tournament.

Ilyeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:20 PM
  #50
Chicagofan19
Registered User
 
Chicagofan19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Århus, Denmark
Country: Germany
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
@snauen

it is exactly that.
btw, nice article by szemberg, who nailed it.

Chicagofan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.