HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Hockey Canada defends Crosby; IIHF deletes controversial article

Old
05-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Roamin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
And Im guessing you're obsessed hockey freak?

Hockey players do NOT have to play hockey 12 months a year, believe it or not there are things MORE important then hockey, such as family, but according to your logic,

if you choose time with your family over a 3 week meaningless tournament you don't love hockey? NHL players could grab a bunch of their friends, go to a backyard pond and it'd be more exciting then the WC.
No one said they had to play hockey 12 months of the year.
They were invited to preresent their country at the worlds, they declined for whatever reasons they have, good or bad ones. Its not mandatory. Its a shame they did however.

By your same logic then they shouldn't play for the Cup and spend time with their family too.?

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Datstromberg

somehow i doubt the tone if this article is going to change the minds of any these "rich snobby too good to play for their country" athletes.

Datstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:41 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
By your same logic then they shouldn't play for the Cup and spend time with their family too.?
By your logic they should play at every single international event they're invited to, no matter how obscure or meaningless or when it's timed?

I'm going to host an international tournament in mid-April at my local rink and invite every player in the KHL to attend. If they decline I'll get pissy and write articles on my website about how they don't love their country. Let's see how far that gets me.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:41 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
I think the IIHF would be better off making the WC a U23 tournament, like soccer is in the olympics

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:42 PM
ffffffff

Yeah, screw Crosby and those other players for making their own personal decisions. I'm a fan and they should do what I want, I don't care whether they like it or not. Their refusal to play in a tournament to whack rubber in a net is a grievous insult to the country akin to burning the flag. The nerve of those spoiled brats, expecting to get what they want and whining when they don't receive it.

ffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffffffff View Post
Yeah, screw Crosby and those other players for making their own personal decisions. I'm a fan and they should do what I want, I don't care whether they like it or not. Their refusal to play in a tournament to whack rubber in a net is a grievous insult to the country akin to burning the flag. The nerve of those spoiled brats, expecting to get what they want and whining when they don't receive it.

Disregard my previous posts. I have seen the truth!

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:46 PM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
It's a good article. The response is very silly though, they didnt just single out Crosby they mentioned a whole bunch of hockeyplayers but obviously you have to defend the only canadian being mentioned while for instance 8 or 9 swedes were mentioned.

I think the article has many good points and if you are stairing yourself blind on NHL you would see that aswell.
This.
I was actually surprised to see Hockey Canada respond to the IIHF article at all. Looks like it hit a nerve.

McLlwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Rick Sanchez
Wub a lub a dub dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
He wouldn't have a ****ing job if it wasn't for the fans.

You're right. The fans of the capitals allow the owner of the capitals to pay Backtrom his rather large salary. I would assume that the vast majority of caps fans couldn't care less about the world championships. In fact, most caps fans would probably rather have Backstrom get healthy and rested for next season, so im sure that Backstrom isn't alienating the "fans" that keep him employed.

I understand that European fans may be upset that their favourite players are often no shows, but timing is just awful for most players who have been through an intense grind over the last 9 months. I don't begrudge any player who rather heal or spend time with their family than play in a tournament that is often an after thought for most players (NA players especially.)

Rick Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
God Bless Canada

The World Championships is a consolation prize. The IIHF will never admit it, but anyone who's playing in the NHL has zero interest in playing in the World Championships.

It's a great experience, and everyone who plays in the tournament will tell you they enjoyed it, but they will also tell you they never want to go through it again.

The IIHF needs to realize the place of the Worlds in the hockey hierarchy. It's beneath the Stanley Cup. It's beneath the Olympics. And they need to realize that this is a tournament that shouldn't take place in Olympic years. I don't think the quality of hockey at this year's Worlds has been anything to write home about.

There are 13 Team Canada players who were eliminated from the playoffs who aren't playing in the Worlds. Most of them probably could play if they really wanted to. (Ryan Getzlaf would be an exception). But these are guys who just played an 82-game season and seven games in the Olympics. Some played five to seven games in the first round of the playoffs. Others tacked on six or seven games in the second round. That's a lot of hockey. And now we're asking them to fly halfway around the world and play in another five to seven games? Some people really need a clue, and they need to realize how demanding an NHL season really is. (That clown in the IIHF probably doesn't know the first thing about the demands of NHL hockey. He's probably used to watching one of the leagues over there, which don't have the travel, the schedule or the physical rigours of The Show). And any fan who criticizes Crosby for his decision not to play in the Worlds doesn't know the first thing about the demands of playing an 82-game NHL season, a 100-game season, and making back-to-back trips to the Stanley Cup final.

Backstrom and Zetterberg shouldn't be expected to be at the tournament, either. I respect anyone eliminated from the first or the second round who does go over and play in the Worlds. But I respect their decision not to. Especially Zetterberg. I think he's played close to 450 games since the lockout, between the regular season, the playoffs and the Olympics.

Crosby, Iginla, Niedermayer and the other Canadian players owe nothing to us. All they deserve is a restful off-season so that they can recover and be ready to entertain us next season.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
He wouldn't have a ****ing job if it wasn't for the fans.

Yes, exactly. Crosby doesn't want to play, but then he should come out and say so, as should everyone else who declines. Stop making up excuses saying that you're "tired"
Yeah because the fans in Europe are responsible for them having jobs in the NHL...

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Yeah because the fans in Europe are responsible for them having jobs in the NHL...
Well, most of the European players play in Europe before going over, so you know...

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:50 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Most important thing in a players career vs. pointless international tournament that has no real meaning.

You're right, I can see how those can get confused.

hatterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:52 PM
GuloGulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
He doesn't owe his whole life to hockey fans all over the planet.

He plays 8 months out of the year and spends even more time preparing to give fans all over the world the best he has.
That's not what the article is about.

Quote:
Would Crosby not be a spoiled brat if he ignored visiting kids in hospitals, camps, etc. and be true to his old friends and family just becasue he is famous?
He's not a social worker or Mother Theresa. The article is about their professional roles vs the national hockey federations. And what's with pulling the "sick kids" card?

Quote:
Malkin and Datsuyk in all their glory, but why aren't they back in Russia working with kids and struggeling families. God knows there are plenty of people in Russia who could use their direct involvement. Why don't they care?
They are professional hockey players, not social workers. The article concerns their importance and function vs coming generations of hockey players.

Quote:
There are more important things in life than hockey, but the big hockey stars can help people strugglling with obstacles of life by giving them a little joy, hope, and light up their spirits if just for a moment. Don't you think?

The logic goes both ways as I see it.
The article wasn't about struggling people or joy. It's pretty down to facts about the role of the WCh as a fund raiser for the hockey programmes.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
The World Championships is a consolation prize. The IIHF will never admit it, but anyone who's playing in the NHL has zero interest in playing in the World Championships.

It's a great experience, and everyone who plays in the tournament will tell you they enjoyed it, but they will also tell you they never want to go through it again.

The IIHF needs to realize the place of the Worlds in the hockey hierarchy. It's beneath the Stanley Cup. It's beneath the Olympics. And they need to realize that this is a tournament that shouldn't take place in Olympic years. I don't think the quality of hockey at this year's Worlds has been anything to write home about.

There are 13 Team Canada players who were eliminated from the playoffs who aren't playing in the Worlds. Most of them probably could play if they really wanted to. (Ryan Getzlaf would be an exception). But these are guys who just played an 82-game season and seven games in the Olympics. Some played five to seven games in the first round of the playoffs. Others tacked on six or seven games in the second round. That's a lot of hockey. And now we're asking them to fly halfway around the world and play in another five to seven games? Some people really need a clue, and they need to realize how demanding an NHL season really is. (That clown in the IIHF probably doesn't know the first thing about the demands of NHL hockey. He's probably used to watching one of the leagues over there, which don't have the travel, the schedule or the physical rigours of The Show). And any fan who criticizes Crosby for his decision not to play in the Worlds doesn't know the first thing about the demands of playing an 82-game NHL season, a 100-game season, and making back-to-back trips to the Stanley Cup final.

Crosby, Iginla, Niedermayer and the other Canadian players owe nothing to us. All they deserve is a restful off-season so that they can recover and be ready to entertain us next season.
...and if you made promisses to your own kids, other kids you may have met, your wife, etc... that after the season, you will help out more, come to visit, etc. Do you break those promisses to go to the worlds?

I wouldn't, and I don't think most people with any dignity would.

If the players are soo important to the fans, they can DVR the NHL games, like we do with most anything else we want to watch.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:54 PM
dre2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
It's a good article. The response is very silly though, they didnt just single out Crosby they mentioned a whole bunch of hockeyplayers but obviously you have to defend the only canadian being mentioned while for instance 8 or 9 swedes were mentioned.

I think the article has many good points and if you are stairing yourself blind on NHL you would see that aswell.
Well this is from Hockey Canada so I don't see why they should be defending Datsyuk and Backstrom too, although you could apply the same principles Hockey Canada made about Crosby and apply it to the other 2.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Roamin

well I guess thats the root of all of this.
Some players just don't care about the Worlds thinking its just a meaningless thing.

Thats too bad I guess.
Maybe the iihf needs to find a better way to show hockey players it means something to play at the worlds thats more then just representing your country on a worlds stage?

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:56 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
...and if you made promisses to your own kids, other kids you may have met, your wife, etc... that after the season, you will help out more
Thing is, though, Crosby's a bachelor. He doesn't have any of these extraneous commitments and can fully dedicate every hour of every day to hockey if he so chose to.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Sayuri

Why is this such a big issue to people?

I would love to just watch the players who did come and forget about who isn't there.

Honestly I think its nice to see guys get to represent their country that normally don't get the chance to.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Snauen*

Quote:
Crosby, Iginla, Niedermayer and the other players owe nothing to us. All they deserve is a restful off-season so that they can recover and be ready to entertain us next season.
Ya , we should be eternally thankfull to them just for beeing able to talk nicely about them on a messageboard they surley deserve all their $$$$$ all of them why should they come to Europe and play hockey here, fans here are not worthy..

Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo View Post
That's not what the article is about.

He's not a social worker or Mother Theresa. The article is about their professional roles vs the national hockey federations. And what's with pulling the "sick kids" card?

They are professional hockey players, not social workers. The article concerns their importance and function vs coming generations of hockey players.

The article wasn't about struggling people or joy. It's pretty down to facts about the role of the WCh as a fund raiser for the hockey programmes.
I'm trying to make you understand that we are talking about people's personal choices, and as a professional athlete in NA (in any sport), a HUGE role and expectation of what you are supposed to do is "Mother Theresa" work as you call it. The article is written from a perspective of someone who seemingly has no understanding or care about what these guys do, but pulls off a bunch of crocodile tears becasue the big names feel they have more important things to deal with than the IIHF fund raiser. In other words, they are making a choice on what charity they support, which they are entitled to, and the IIHF isn't.

Old
05-19-2010, 03:01 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
well I guess thats the root of all of this.
Some players just don't care about the Worlds thinking its just a meaningless thing.

Thats too bad I guess.
Maybe the iihf needs to find a better way to show hockey players it means something to play at the worlds thats more then just representing your country on a worlds stage?
Perhaps they can start by not having the tournament in the middle of the most important thing in an NHL players year...

The way they can show that it's meaningful is by actually making it meaningful in the first place...

Edit: Also, the IIHF is the UN of hockey. It likes to talk a big game, but when it comes down to serious stuff (KHL v NHL is a good example) they just don't have the ability to do anything except write strongly worded letters.

hatterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:02 PM
NeilYoung

Crosby has earned the right to decline he deserves a long summer off
Malkin does to I actually have no idea why he ****ing went in the first place, the way he played this year it seems he needs the rest
and for the article mentioning Backstrom declining whats he supposed to do play with a separated shoulder?

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Rob

I forsee the World Championships continue to become less relevant. Many European players are starting to realize that too.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Thing is, though, Crosby's a bachelor. He doesn't have any of these extraneous commitments and can fully dedicate every hour of every day to hockey if he so chose to.
a) this is not only about Crosby.

b) my example is one of many examples that may earn you the title "good citizen." I'm sure we could come up with a longer list that include things that a bachelor can do, and things that Crosby and the other NHL bachelors do that truly benefit their communities.

Old
05-19-2010, 03:06 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauen View Post
Ya , we should be eternally thankfull to them just for beeing able to talk nicely about them on a messageboard they surley deserve all their $$$$$ all of them why should they come to Europe and play hockey here, fans here are not worthy..
Well, in the case of Crosby, he played 103 games this year, after playing more than 100 games in 2008-09, after reaching the Stanley Cup final and playing hurt in 2007-08. I don't know why he would even give five seconds to an offer to play in that consolation tournament.

You clearly have no idea just how daunting and gruelling an NHL regular season is, and how demanding a round of the Stanley Cup playoffs can be, let alone four rounds.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote