HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Hockey Canada defends Crosby; IIHF deletes controversial article

Old
05-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Roamin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
Invoking National pride for the purposes of making more money in ads for a hockey tournament, how trite.

I don't mind if Crosby doesn't care about the WC, since I don't care either.
I hope you watch Invictus one day.

The score even had a documentary on Nelson Mandela and the Springbok rugby team for the 1995 Worlds.
Look it up, you'll see why and how some people invoke national pride in world tournaments.

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Ilya Kovalchoke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
Yes they would.
They're on a 24 game winning steak, 2 time defending champs playing for "mother russia". Of course they would go even if they won gold in the Olympics in the 5th overtime.
Than obviously Russians hold the tournament in higher regard than Canadians do. This tournament is not popular here or deemed important at all.

Ilya Kovalchoke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyeu View Post
I didn't agree with the Crosby snip, however, most of the article is true. If you think this opinion is stupid, we'll it's no more stupid than you saying this tournament is a mickey mouse tournament.
Why wasn't Iginla mentioned. He has always declined, even the years the Flames missed the playoffs. If anyone should have been mentioned in the article, it should have been Iginla and not Crosby.

05-19-2010, 04:16 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Again, what does this most, most of the usa or "50% of hockey fans in North America" have to do with the rest of the hockey world? Did you consider most of Europe into your thought process? When did one nation and one people consider something that's been around forever, meaningless and irrelevant and important to a lot of other nations?
This is really quite straightforward.

The original claim was "most hockey fans do not watch the IIHF championships"

How many millions of people do you think would describe themselves as "hockey fans"?

How many millions of people actually view the IIHF championships?

If the ratio of those numbers is greater than 2:1, most fans do not watch the championships.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mattihp

vCash: 50
There is NOTHING wrong with taking time off after a hard season of play.

But to claim that such players are very proud and love to play in the national team is questionable.

Situations may differ but quite a few of the 100 ney-sayers were in game-shape.

mattihp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
nik-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Makarov View Post
It´s easy: if you are a patriotic and love your country, you go to the WC; if you only care about money, then you make pathetic excuses.

To be honest, and please don't feel offended, I understand the position of canadian players. Canada is a former British Colony, and his citizens don't have roots, a lenguage, a national history, a culture to fight for. The 90% of its players are from Europe, and the rest from Africa and Asia. So, I don't blame them.
A yes, Kyrgyztan, a bastion of culture ....

... Russian culture

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drij

Quote:
It´s easy: if you are a patriotic and love your country, you go to the WC; if you only care about money, then you make pathetic excuses.

To be honest, and please don't feel offended, I understand the position of canadian players. Canada is a former British Colony, and his citizens don't have roots, a lenguage, a national history, a culture to fight for. The 90% of its players are from Europe, and the rest from Africa and Asia. So, I don't blame them.
wtf did you just say.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Ilyeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Why wasn't Iginla mentioned. He has always declined, even the years the Flames missed the playoffs. If anyone should have been mentioned in the article, it should have been Iginla and not Crosby.
I really don't care who is mentioned in the article. You can point a finger at anyone, but the article holds much truth as much as this article holds truths. I think the article did it's job, it got hockey people talking. Especially here in Canada.

Ilyeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

Does the IIHF get that this tournament is completely meaningless to Canada yet? Even when we win, it doesn't get much attention.

I can guarantee every single player on the Canadian and American rosters would rather be somewhere else during any given game of this tournament (even if it was the gold medal game, hypothetically), the playoffs.

Again, we don't care about this second-rate tournament, especially since we already won the only mens international tournament that has mattered in the past four years.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Nakawick

So a 6 page and counting thread develops because Crosby's name is in the title. Are you people just realizing now that many people decline to come? Why is everyone so eager to post about this now? The only compliant that I can understand is that our European friends would like to see the NHL players in person rather than on TV.

The fact is that for an annual tournament having all the best players is simply not going to happen, especially in an Olympic year. Best on best international hockey will only take place at the Olympics or the World Cup. The most anyone can hope for is every second year. The thing that sucks about the World Cup is that it has to be played in the summer unless the NHL made an exception and allowed a long mid season break like the olympic years, but I don't see it happening. The world cup should also be played on one continent rather than both NA and Europe. I would also rather see the top 8 ranked teams play a round robin, then semi's, then the final. (screw the 3rd place game).

Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:22 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
I really don't care who is mentioned in the article. You can point a finger at anyone, but the article holds much truth as much as this article holds truths. I think the article did it's job, it got hockey people talking. Especially here in Canada.
And now we have 7 pages of people trashing the IIHF championship as irrelevant. Coming soon to a Google search near you.

Great success!

Old
NeilYoung

Also are the swedish media a bunch of ****ing idiots? They expect Backstrom to play with a separated shoulder?

**** this whole tournament it means nothing

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
A yes, Kyrgyztan, a bastion of culture ....

... Russian culture
Wait... Isn't Kyrgyztans population less than 10% russian?

And with a very strong own cultural belonging not so much connected to russian culture?

Or am I mixing up nations?

Old
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Just out of curiosity.
Let's assume there won't be a break in the 2013/14 NHL-season for the Olympics, would that tournament become less important to Canadians/Americans due to the lack of NHLers participating? I mean, it's still the Olympics, right?

McLlwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:23 PM
nik-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Wait... Isn't Kyrgyztans population less than 10% russian?

And with a very strong own cultural belonging not so much connected to russian culture?

Or am I mixing up nations?
I just find it hilariously hypocritical that he's talking trash about canada being a british colony and having no culture when he's from a Soviet satellite and has a Hammer and sickle in his avatar.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Ilya Kovalchoke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
wtf did you just say.
He doesn't know. He's judging Canadas history and roots, fine but to compare it to Russia a country with no history seems strange. I'm almost as old as Russia.

Old
05-19-2010, 04:24 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:

The score even had a documentary on Nelson Mandela and the Springbok rugby team for the 1995 Worlds.
Look it up, you'll see why and how some people invoke national pride in world tournaments.
Yes, of course national pride is invoked in certain world tournaments. You see it in the World Cup of Soccer and Rugby, and for Canada, you see it in the Olympic Hockey Tournament (and prior to 1998, in the World/Canada Cups).

But you have to first have your population and athletes give a damn about those tournaments for such pleas to national pride to have any success. Pleas of national pride to a country that just won a much more important hockey tournament less than 3 months ago and is currently wrapped up in the Stanley Cup playoffs doesn't quite have the same effect. Especially when it's already apparent its already many of the other countries' B squads*

* against Russia's A squad.

Last edited by PensFanSince1989: 05-19-2010 at 04:29 PM.
PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLlwain View Post
Just out of curiosity.
Let's assume there won't be a break in the 2013/14 NHL-season for the Olympics, would that tournament become less important to Canadians/Americans due to the lack of NHLers participating? I mean, it's still the Olympics, right?
It would certainly diminish the importance of the medals. "Best-on-best" is crucial for any international tournament.

Old
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Quote:

You're kidding?

Then what excuse are you using for American and European players refusing to go?

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:

Perhaps a more recent and relevant example of "how some people invoke national pride in world tournaments" would be what happened in Vancouver in late February of this year. I heard a few Canadians were excited by the result.

To further my point, has a major feature film been made about the South African team at the 1995 African Championships?

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
This is a tournament for players in the European leagues. Its annual scheduling is an insult to the NHL. Whenever it is held in North America, I would support a delay until the NHL is finished play.
It's not an insult.

90% of the countries taking part in the WC come from Europe.
And Canada and the US have 14/30 teams done with the NHL by the time it starts.
It's only natural 10% adjusts (or suffers).

But, you're missing the point.

A LOT of guys are passing on the WC.
And it's not even the guys who were in the Olympics or the NHL playoffs.

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:25 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I just find it hilariously hypocritical that he's talking trash about canada being a british colony and having no culture when he's from a Soviet satellite and has a Hammer and sickle in his avatar.
Do you claim that Kyrgyzstan is more russian than Canada is influenced by europe, etc?

You could've picked a "better" nation instead of a nation with it's own strong ethnical and cultural identity...

Old
05-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Ilya Kovalchoke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLlwain View Post
Just out of curiosity.
Yeah of course. When we watch a national tournament we want to see the best of the best. The more NHL players who miss out the less the tournament seems important.

Old
05-19-2010, 04:26 PM
hockeygoon15

Quote:

Whoa, easy there..

You have to have your own language to be Patriotic? Canada doesn't have a national history or culture? Part of their national history and culture is beating your ass in hockey whenever they so choose. Just cause the little guy challenges the champ every few months doesn't mean the champ has to answer their call.

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Chicagofan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Simple. The tournament is not important to Canadians. Therefore there is little pressure for them to play.
if a hockeyplayer needs to be pressured by the media to play for his country, than it is obvious, that it is not a question of pride and merit for him!

Chicagofan19 is offline   Reply With Quote