HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov out for up to 6 Months

Old
05-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
Oh man. Our cap situation is really bad. It would be great to get a decent offensive defenseman as a UFA as an insurance policy, someone like a Joe Corvo or Dennis Seidenberg but theyll both command around 3 million. Keeping in mind the players we have to re-sign, do we really have the space for another 3 million plus player? Paul Martin is a UFA as well and that would be a pipe dream, but there's no way NJD lets him go.
There's one kind of d-man that we have nowhere, meaning on our team or in our farm system: It's a guy who makes life miserable for opposition in the crease. It was Bertrand Raymond who brought it up today, that he couldn't think of someone in the last 20 years (Chris Chelios being the last), who you were just flat out scared of in the crease area. Gill and O'byrne are big, but don't really have a natural mean streak. Where i'm going with this is that we need someone like Pronger, who has basically been the difference maker for the Flyers all playoffs long. We're never going to be able to find someone as good as him, but maybe someone that is as defensively imposing as him. We always talk about how we desperately need puck movers, but i think what we lack even more is bone-crushing d-man.

An Andy Sutton type for instance, or make my dream trade of Price for Pietroangelo in STL. I feel like we have plenty of offensive talent in our organization; it's time to focus on defence.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:17 PM
MoonlightGraham

I wonder if he was rushed back in January.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Subban is "emergin" into the NHL, but IMHO he won't be ready to be a 1st pair guy for another 3-4 years. If you ask too much of him too early he'll turn into Mike Green.
Subban is a 1st pairing d-man (in MTL that is). No question. Our top 3 d-men (minutes wise) at the start of next year will be Markov (if he's back) followed by Subban and Gorges. Hammer and Spacek are too old to play over 20 minutes to be effective. Those 2 along with Gill will play somewhere between 15-20 minutes a game.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Koivu2001

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
There's one kind of d-man that we have nowhere, meaning on our team or in our farm system: It's a guy who makes life miserable for opposition in the crease. It was Bertrand Raymond who brought it up today, that he couldn't think of someone in the last 20 years (Chris Chelios being the last), who you were just flat out scared of in the crease area. Gill and O'byrne are big, but don't really have a natural mean streak. Where i'm going with this is that we need someone like Pronger, who has basically been the difference maker for the Flyers all playoffs long. We're never going to be able to find someone as good as him, but maybe someone that is as defensively imposing as him. We always talk about how we desperately need puck movers, but i think what we lack even more is bone-crushing d-man.

An Andy Sutton type for instance, or make my dream trade of Price for Pietroangelo in STL. I feel like we have plenty of offensive talent in our organization; it's time to focus on defence.
wonder if st louis would do it

Koivu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:32 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
Why announce it now ? Bad news after bad news geezus christ, they should've wait until the elimination.... now this team is going down hard.
ummm because he had the surgery today which has officially sidelined him. They were originally hoping he would be able to play in a brace and postpone the surgery until the offseason..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:32 PM
CPrice

Too bad he couldnt make it back to help out the team. After he had that setback in practice, I kind of lost hope. Looking forward to him play 82 games next year + playoffs.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:34 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
His ankle injury may have led to this one...since his return his skating wasn't what it was before the injury...so he couldn't elude forechecker like he had done before.
Thats true, he definitely lost a step upon his return.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Schooner Guy

There's no sense trading Markov when we can't get full value for him because of his injury. Trades are all about timing.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:52 PM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
Not to be an ass, but Markov needs to learn to protect himself better. There was nothing wrong with Cooke's hit and I thought he even had it pretty easy up to that point in the playoffs considering he's our best Dman. At some point you have to move your perception from "can't catch a break" to "fragile player". Maybe not just yet, but we're getting close to that label. The condensed schedule sure didn't help, hopefully next year he can put all this behind him.
Cooke did not get called but I looked at the replay a dozen times.

Look at it hard and you too will see Cooke's right leg with a follow through. To me it's proof Cooke intended to use his knee to take out Markov. This was NOT an incidental hit. Cooke went to take out Markov and that part if fine but when you see the Cooke Leg follow through it's clear he WAS using his Knee therefore it was an intent to injure. You take a look, be objective and you too will see what i saw.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Bullsmith

This guy has not been healthy for a full season for a long time now. And it feels like each injury is worse than the last. I say we cash in on the doubt and lock him up for 4 more years immediately. And I'm dead serious about that.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:33 PM
felixd

Quote:

Oh I agree with you wholeheartedly and if you look at the "adding toughness in the summer thread" I even mentioned adding Andy Sutton. I think Sutton would fit perfectly in our system, good shot blocker and to your point above would clear the crease and bring some nastiness.

I still think that if Markov is out we are going to need some help on the PP and some help with the breakout. We can't solely rely on Markov for the first pass or breakout. He needs help and Subban is a great step in that direction, but if Markov is out till end November, do you really want to hand the keys over to a 21 year old? I'd rather give Subban a little support and bring in a Corvo/Seidenberg for example to help with the offense breakout and the PP. Problem is we don't nearly have enough cap room to do that, so it's not very realistic. Wouldn't mind starting the year with something like this:

Markov - Subban
Sutton - Corvo/Seidenberg(I think Seidenberg is the better player overall but shoots left...we have enough left shots on D)
Gill-Gorges
x. OB

Maybe the pairings aren't quite right, but I think that's a nice mix of offense, talent, defense and toughness. Like I said not very realistic but hey.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 08:09 PM
couris

Markovs for Iginla

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
This is....you can't be feared in the crease anymore. That's not wher Pronger can be feared 'cause you can't be touched over there. You might be feared along the boards or in the corner, but no more Sherwood in the back of the neck.

Having said, you watch the UFA acquisitions for the past 10 years, watch the draft picks after the "Beef from the West" era and you know that getting those sandpaper guys, either up front or in the back end is just not what this organization is all about....unfortunately.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:05 PM
CrazyShea

Time to trade him

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:07 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Gotta love Hab fans man...MVP caliber player gets injured and you want to trade him... It's the same people questioning my "fanship" too. LOL
Sorry I know how important Markov is to this team but the past few years he is always injured come playoff time so why bother to keep him around. Seems this is happening far too often when we need him he is not there. Trading him now imo is the best option so we can get a good return

Seems like your more of a fan of the player than the Canadiens

Old
05-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshea View Post
Sorry I know how important Markov is to this team but the past few years he is always injured come playoff time so why bother to keep him around. Seems this is happening far too often when we need him he is not there. Trading him now imo is the best option so we can get a good return

That doesn't make any sense. Markov didn't decide to get hurt first of all, accidents and injuries occur. Secondly trading him when they just announced that he's out for 6 months is the worst possible time. His value is at the lowest ever and now you want to trade him?

With that mentality, we'd never had seen Koivu play. The Leafs would've lost one of their biggest legends in Wendel Clark right off the bat.

And to question his love for the Habs because he disagrees is ridiculous. I think its funny that you started your reply with the word "sorry" and end with a direct insult.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:19 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
That doesn't make any sense. Markov didn't decide to get hurt first of all, accidents and injuries occur. Secondly trading him when they just announced that he's out for 6 months is the worst possible time. His value is at the lowest ever and now you want to trade him?

With that mentality, we'd never had seen Koivu play. The Leafs would've lost one of their biggest legends in Wendel Clark right off the bat.

And to question his love for the Habs because he disagrees is ridiculous. I think its funny that you started your reply with the word "sorry" and end with a direct insult.
Markov has been getting hurt during the same time frame for the past three seasons. Obviously he isn't deciding to get hurt but I am seeing a trend here and the trend seems to scream injury prone. Teams will not care about the 6 months of injury time since 4 or more of those months are off season.

Koivu is not the same situation at all the dude had cancer and came back and I really could not care less about the Leafs or Wendel to talk about that.

Not sure why you find that funny since that is the Canadian way

Old
05-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshea View Post

Trading him at the draft, you'll get very little great return since no one knows what he will be like after a ACL injury. If you wanted to trade him, which wuold be stupid as heck.. then you trade him when he starts playing..

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:30 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Cooke ....
Karma will take care of Cooke

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

What? Markov injured?

Nooooo.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Habit11

To those of you suggesting to trade Markov because he has suffered some injuries, may I go one step further and suggest the trading of Cammalleri as well.

In 2003, he missed 31 games due to a concussion, then in 2008 he missed 17 games with a rib injury, and let's not forget this season where he missed 17 games with a knee injury. Yes, Cammalleri needs to be dealt with Markov because they both have a history of being injured. Officially, the most ridiculous thing I've heard on these boards.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
lol at people thinking we'll get a good return for a Markov that will be on his contract year coming off a serious injury. I really can't understand the rationale of trading away someone who's been statistically our MVP for the past few seasons at his prime let alone at his lowest value. We've been lacking impact players for years and Markov (top 5 in D point production for 3 straight seasons) is the only one we've had since pre-lockout Theodore (Hart+Vezina). Yeah he's injured, no one said it's career threatening and he's only 31. We FINALLY have two very good puck movers in our lineup for the foreseeable future...why mess with that?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 10:07 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
lol at people thinking we'll get a good return for a Markov that will be on his contract year coming off a serious injury. I really can't understand the rationale of trading away someone who's been statistically our MVP for the past few seasons at his prime let alone at his lowest value. We've been lacking impact players for years and Markov (top 5 in D point production for 3 straight seasons) is the only one we've had since pre-lockout Theodore (Hart+Vezina). Yeah he's injured, no one said it's career threatening and he's only 31. We FINALLY have two very good puck movers in our lineup for the foreseeable future...why mess with that?
all i hear is prospect + pick

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 10:54 PM
LastRide

Markov hasn't been the same player since his last injury. He could be damaged goods possibly.He appears to have slowed down and not pinching in as much as he used too. Goal production is way down. I guess we'll see when he comes back how effective he is.

LastRide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Dear Macgyver:

Enclosed is a paper clip, an elastic and a straw. Please save our Markov!

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote