HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Halaks Glove.

Old
05-19-2010, 06:43 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Halaks Glove.

It never seemed like a glaring problem so I hope this isn't his main weakness. All three goals last night were glove hand, one was very weak and he got a piece but not enough. What do you thinnk? I dont know if one can train and get stronger in such an area, either you have the eye hand coordination/speed or you don't.

What do you think? Was last night the unveiling of Halaks flaw or just 3 solid shots that beat most goalies? I never noticed that flaw in Halaks game before.

Price has a strong glove hand and Halak has the ground game, time to start splicing some genes or what?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:50 PM
JrHockeyFan

I think Halak's glove hand is the least of our worries. If we start scoring goals and he keeps allowing 3.5 per game, then maybe we should start to worry. We need to score goals

PS: I saw the 3rd goal as the only weak one last night. That means he should have kept it to a 2 to 0 loss

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:55 PM
OneSharpMarble

I am talking about the future not just this series. You don't trade Price if Halak can't catch the puck.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:55 PM
habtastic

Sorry, wait, are we talking about Halak or Price?
We're playing philly and i'm getting a flashback.

they both have great glove hands and have flashed the leather many many times. The ones that get by we remember the most, but yes, in the last game, Halak was not good in that dept. You know they are going for it. Should be mentioned that both he and Price (during the season and a nice one last night) have made some sensational glove saves on the best scorers.

NO MORE BRIERE PLEASE! OH AND GAGNE TOO! The two games were way too reminiscent of one another in how the scoring went down (including the Gomez penalty to interrupt ours leading to a goal).

PS. I figured out why we're losing. I have all my playoff towels hung up and I realized that I needed to turn my 2008 one upside down. It is done now. We will win.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:57 PM
AlexCvm

And you don't trade Halak if Price can't simply stop a puck...so well...just don't trade any of the 2, hehe.

AlexCvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:12 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I think Halak's glove hand is the least of our worries. If we start scoring goals and he keeps allowing 3.5 per game, then maybe we should start to worry. We need to score goals

PS: I saw the 3rd goal as the only weak one last night. That means he should have kept it to a 2 to 0 loss
I agree, 3rd goal was the only weak one, and I mean, that was somewhat late in the third, the habs had shown zero indication of being able to come back into that game. It wouldn't have changed a thing.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Captain Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I never noticed that flaw in Halaks game before.
To me, that says it all.
If you haven't noticed it before, it's probably because it just didn't really happen. He just wasn't 100% sharp those nights that's all.
Legs are his bread and butter, but i think he's more then ok glove hand.

Captain Gorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
I always saw Halak as a goalie that needs shots to get on his game.
Without some action, he starts messing up. His strength is definitely the pads. Extremely hard to beat him low.
But I consider 1 of the goals weak and the other 1, he looked bad but defense didn't cover his mistake like they should have had. The 3rd goal obviously.
But the Richards goal (I think), he fumbled a high shot and gave a big rebound for him to cash in. Backbreaking goal.

Either way, I think Price is better suited for the Flyers than Halak. At least when it comes to them banging the net, trying to beat him high & using cover to try to a get in a shot the goalie can't see.

And that comes from a fan who was sitting in the stands in Game 5 of the 2008 Flyers-Habs series. I facepalmed all night about the goals he allowed.

Anyway, the Habs play very differently when they trail. And Philly completely closed the play the second they got the lead. And Halak looked shaky so far.
We always brag about having 2 good young goalies. It's time to use the 2nd one and try to win this series.

Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:41 PM
ThaDevilGirl

This is so 2008. It's always the glove...

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
This is a perm issue, scoring is a bigger worry.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 08:14 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
He needs to stitch that hole up
that was terrible last night

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:29 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
This is so 2008. It's always the glove...
Actually if they shoot high stick side, it's always high stick. It it's five hole, it's always 5 hole. If the goalie is in the butterfly, it's always the butterfly etc etc etc

Unless guys get so strong they can actually shoot it through the goalie, it will always be one of the 5 spots. Goalies all need to work on those 5 spots until then

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:32 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Why are we not shooting high on Leighton?

We shoot low everytime, the guy is a big butterfly goalie

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:40 PM
tinyzombies

You can hardly blame him for the Briere goal, but he could have been more aggressive and stayed square. The third goal he was way off his angle. Not sure what happened there.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 05:46 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Actually if they shoot high stick side, it's always high stick. It it's five hole, it's always 5 hole. If the goalie is in the butterfly, it's always the butterfly etc etc etc

Unless guys get so strong they can actually shoot it through the goalie, it will always be one of the 5 spots. Goalies all need to work on those 5 spots until then
If goalies become unbeatable, there's not point in playing hockey anymore...

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 06:48 AM
spudnick

The word is out on Halak, shoot high glove or blocker side. He looks very shaky up high. Halak will stop almost everything along the ice unless the Flyers keep doing what they are doing and putting someone in front of him to get the rebound.

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
It never seemed like a glaring problem so I hope this isn't his main weakness. All three goals last night were glove hand, one was very weak and he got a piece but not enough. What do you thinnk? I dont know if one can train and get stronger in such an area, either you have the eye hand coordination/speed or you don't.

What do you think? Was last night the unveiling of Halaks flaw or just 3 solid shots that beat most goalies? I never noticed that flaw in Halaks game before.

Price has a strong glove hand and Halak has the ground game, time to start splicing some genes or what?
The 3rd goal was not a "glove" problem he was about a foot off his angle. The 1st goal he dropped early and the top of the net was exposed.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:18 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
The word is out on Halak, shoot high glove or blocker side. He looks very shaky up high. Halak will stop almost everything along the ice unless the Flyers keep doing what they are doing and putting someone in front of him to get the rebound.
Absolutely untrue.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote