HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2011 World Cup

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2010, 10:12 PM
CanadaRules*

vCash: 500
2011 World Cup

What are some possible host sites, and is this tournament even a go for sure?

I'm thinking Toronto, and Montreal are probably locks to host a game.

Add one or two of Detroit, NYR, Philly, or Pitt and that would probably be it. Chicago wouldn't be that bad either.

Old
05-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Drij

They really should call this the Canada Cup again...
Anyway all games will be played in Canada I bet.

Old
05-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
They really should call this the Canada Cup again...
Anyway all games will be played in Canada I bet.
I bet you are wrong.

Old
05-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Lui One Hall

Helsinki, Stockholm/Malmö, Prague, Berlin/Cologne, Bratislava(?), St. Petersburg/Moscow, Bern...

Old
05-19-2010, 11:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Pittsburgh, with their new arena.

Old
05-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Ribban

Maybe the European teams shouldn't come or at best send their U-23 guys.

Sorry too good to pass up. Just kiddin' though.

Old
05-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Ribban

I thought only old Russians and Europeans were capable of such fury when the Canada Cup talk came up.
The World Cup is a nice tourney though. Don't you think?

Last edited by William H Bonney: 05-28-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: deleted qp
Old
05-20-2010, 06:01 AM
Wham City

Surely a home crowd is an advantage to the home team, but that is true any country. Are the IIHF rules biased towards Canada somehow? If other countries truly felt tournaments in Canada weren't operated on the level they'd file a complaint or they wouldn't participate.

I remember when Canada lost to the Czech's in the shootout in Nagano, Hasek stoned us 5 straight times. There were plenty of recriminations in the days and months after arguing IIHF rules and the shootout were biased against Canada. It was an embarrassing spectacle but in the end it led to improved Canadian skill development in young players. The shootout used to be seen as a gimmick by Canadians but slowly I think it's beginning to be seen as a strength of our game.

The rules are the same for everybody and every country knows that going into a tournament be it IIHF rules on international ice, or NHL rules on NHL ice or, IIHF rules on NHL ice as it was in the Olympics.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 05-28-2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: deleted qp
Old
05-20-2010, 07:02 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetzlafGoal View Post
Canada Cup has history, the World cup does not. Same tournament but the Canada Cup has the classic history.
The Canada Cup's glorious 15 years of history (19076-1991) will be matched by the World Cup next year (1996-2011). Of course the Canada Cup was held 5 times, while it will be only the World Cup's 3rd installment, but I just don't see that much history in either. If the Canada Cup was a century old tradition I could understand that argument, but the way it is I think World Cup is a far better name for an international tournament supported by the NHL.

Old
05-20-2010, 07:40 AM
icing

Quote:
Canada Cup has history, the World cup does not. Same tournament but the Canada Cup has the classic history.
15 years of history? Wow.

If we want a tournament that everybody cares about (seing all the discussions about no one cares about the WHC i NA) I doubt it should be named Canada Cup.

The WHC has history though.

Old
05-20-2010, 08:07 AM
jekoh

The Wolrd Cup does not really serve any purpose any more.

Old
05-20-2010, 12:36 PM
RusskiyHockey

The Canada Cup was special in its time because the Olympics were not yet a best-on-best tournament. Now that the NHL is part of the Olympics, the World Cup is redundant. I'd be happy for Russia to win it of course, but it would be of lesser value than a World Championship gold medal. Naturally, Canadians would value it more given that World Cup is NHL-run.

Old
05-20-2010, 12:49 PM
ontheDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusskiyHockey View Post
The Canada Cup was special in its time because the Olympics were not yet a best-on-best tournament. Now that the NHL is part of the Olympics, the World Cup is redundant. I'd be happy for Russia to win it of course, but it would be of lesser value than a World Championship gold medal. Naturally, Canadians would value it more given that World Cup is NHL-run.
You'd value a WC gold over a World Cup gold ? Why's that ?
(btw, if Russia does make it three in a row this year, that is impressive, but I'm talking in just one tournament).

The IIHF tourney is great because it includes all coutnries from all divisions, but it doesn't carry that much weight for the top tier as it is not a 'best-on-best' tourney.
The fact that many 'star' players decline to participate in the World Championship and rarely in the World Cup or Olypimcs is evidence that they don't value it as much as well.

Old
05-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Quack

Quote:
If the best on best tournamnet is the only special one whats the point of the World Championships? thats far from a best on best.

Old
05-20-2010, 01:00 PM
icing

Quote:
If the best on best tournamnet is the only special one whats the point of the World Championships? thats far from a best on best.
Is winning the Stanley Cup special? With that I mean winning the cup, not just the playoffs making you the best team.

Would it change anything if the Stanley Cup went away and was substituted with the Gretzky Cup?

Old
05-20-2010, 01:06 PM
ontheDB

Quote:
World Championships (correct me if I am wrong) are the main tourney which rankings are based. They also include all countries (since other divisions have tourneys as well).

I agree it SHOULD be the most important tourney as it is put on by the sanctioning body, but it is not because the top players are not consistently there.
That said, if the top players stop turning down the World Cup and Olympics, then those tourneys would lost importance.

Old
05-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

If they really want a true World Cup, it should alternate every 4 years between NAmerica and Europe. Until then just call it the North American Cup.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 05-20-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old
05-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Some comments from Finnish hockey fed boss Kalervo Kummola from todays Iltalehti.

- World Cup has been heavily favoured and backed by the NHLPA. Since Paul Kelly was fired, absolutely nothing has happened regarding organizing it. Now it looks like there's no way it'll be held in 2011.

- About NHL participation at Sotshi 2014: Kummola talked to Bettman during Vancouver Olympic games and Bettman's stance on it had softened considerably. He was now clearly in favour of NHL participation. Naturally owners might be against it, nut they don't really understand international hockey. But Bettman and his staff do.

Last edited by Jussi: 05-20-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old
05-20-2010, 01:28 PM
CanadaRules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Some comments from Finnish hockey fed boss Kalervo Kummola from todays Iltalehti.

- World Cup has been heavily favoured and backed by the NHLPA. Since Paul Kelly was fired, absolutely nothing has happened for organizing it. Now it looks like there's no way it'll be held in 2011.

- About NHL participation at Sotshi 2014: Kummola talked to Bettman during Vancouver Olympi games and Bettman's stance on it had softened considerably. He was now clearly in favour of NHL participation. Naturally owners might be agasint it, nut they don't really understand international hockey. But Bettman and his staff do.
You got a link for this. It goes against everything that I've heard. Although, if Buttman is open to NHL participation in Sochi I'd imagine the need for a WC gets put on the back-burner.

The whole point of the WC in 2011 was to sell a new NHL TV contract once the contract with versus and NBC runs out after next season. Judging by how well the games were viewed during the Olympics I would presume that ESPN, and ABC would be jumping at the chance to show the WC in 2011.

Old
05-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

The World Cup will never have any serious value until three things happen:

1. It starts to occur in regular time intervals, rather than just whenever it strikes the fancy of the NHL/NHLPA;

2. It starts being run more like the FIFA World Cup, with a set number of teams and a rotating host country (or maybe more than one, but in close proximity);

3. It starts taking place at a better time of the year than at the end of the summer right before training camps, when all the players (both NHLers and European Leaguers) are at the worst in terms of conditioning and hockey-readiness.

To do this might require some growing pains (i.e. it wouldn't be the fast cash-grab that the NHL and NHLPA want, at least initially), but over time it would develop credibility and be seen as a major event (at least to the degree that any hockey tournament can be).

Old
05-20-2010, 01:34 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
This is just dumb. There is no scenario where a World Championship win is more important than the World Cup.

It is fine to say that you don't care about either though.

Why is every World Championship legit but every World Cup in favour of North America?

Old
05-20-2010, 01:34 PM
CanadaRules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
3. It starts taking place at a better time of the year than at the end of the summer right before training camps, when all the players (both NHLers and European Leaguers) are at the worst in terms of conditioning and hockey-readiness.
That's why they allow each team to hold a month long training camp prior to the start of the tournament.

Old
05-20-2010, 01:43 PM
icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley#15 View Post
This is just dumb. There is no scenario where a World Championship win is more important than the World Cup.

It is fine to say that you don't care about either though.

Why is every World Championship legit but every World Cup in favour of North America?
Its not always the win, its what you win that matters. The World Cup really hasnt any value in itself. It's like, for som reason, an EHT-tournament (lets say Karjala Cup) managed to get all the best players. Sure nice to win it but still, you only won the Karjala cup! (no offence fins )

If the best werent at the Olympics the Olympic gold would still be an Olympic gold. To bad fot those great athlets who wasnt present but the winner wont feel sorry for that. He/she just made history.

Old
05-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Young A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young A View Post
whether the world cup is a best on best tournament or not you can't take it serious..it's a NHL promo tournament..

would you rather as a player let usa and canada win in a tournament nobody in the world cares about or take the nhl's attention away and with that your multi million dollars ..think about that!!!
and it's funny how ussr sent their b-squad to your WORLD IMPORTANT canada cup back in the days

Old
05-20-2010, 01:46 PM
CanadaRules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by icing View Post
Its not always the win, its what you win that matters. The World Cup really hasnt any value in itself. It's like, for som reason, an EHT-tournament (lets say Karjala Cup) managed to get all the best players. Sure nice to win it but still, you only won the Karjala cup! (no offence fins )

If the best werent at the Olympics the Olympic gold would still be an Olympic gold. To bad fot those great athlets who wasnt present but the winner wont feel sorry for that. He/she just made history.
If all the best players were at the Karjala Cup, and you managed to win it that would be better then winning a WHC gold. IF the best are there no other tournament can surpass it.

Closed Thread