HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2011 World Cup

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2010, 01:48 AM
jekoh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinD80 View Post
Eurobasket is treated as being bigger than the World Championships.

Hmm, no it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinD80 View Post
As for your "proof" of the FIBA Americas, you ignore the South American sides, who take such a tournament seriously along with their fans.
They take it seriously but less so than the Wolrds. Just look at Argentina's roster 2006 vs 2007 or 2009.

Old
05-27-2010, 03:07 AM
Tomas W

Well for me who is interested in the NHL, a NHL int. tourney is very interesting. I'm suprised that some europeans take it so lightly, after all the best players usually participate so why not watch the World Cup?

They should allow more countries to qualify, they could have qualifications games for "lesser" countries, if the NHL want to have only 8 countries in it (its always only Germany outside the "big 7" thats is invited, even though there are several other countries that is just a good as them.

The eurpoean teams might have a slight disadvantage since its a NHL tourney on NA soil, but then again the opposite is to be found on the World Champs so its evens out.

Old
05-27-2010, 03:24 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Well for me who is interested in the NHL, a NHL int. tourney is very interesting. I'm suprised that some europeans take it so lightly, after all the best players usually participate so why not watch the World Cup?

They should allow more countries to qualify, they could have qualifications games for "lesser" countries, if the NHL want to have only 8 countries in it (its always only Germany outside the "big 7" thats is invited, even though there are several other countries that is just a good as them.

The European teams might have a slight disadvantage since its a NHL tourney on NA soil, but then again the opposite is to be found on the World Champs so its evens out.
World Cup is just taking place at totally wrong time. People don't care much for hockey at that time. Besides, the last World Cup proved that players weren't in best gameshape, some were recovering from injuries and some were in need of surgery. The quality of hockey paled in comparison to the Olympics.

There's no room for more qualifying tournaments in international hockey schedules. Domestic leagues are packed enough as it is now.

European disadvantage in WC is much greater than the NA one for Worlds, North Americans don't have to make cross Atlantic trips in the middle of the tournament.

Old
05-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
World Cup is just taking place at totally wrong time. People don't care much for hockey at that time. Besides, the last World Cup proved that players weren't in best gameshape, some were recovering from injuries and some were in need of surgery. The quality of hockey paled in comparison to the Olympics.

There's no room for more qualifying tournaments in international hockey schedules. Domestic leagues are packed enough as it is now.

European disadvantage in WC is much greater than the NA one for Worlds, North Americans don't have to make cross Atlantic trips in the middle of the tournament.
Even though you are right about what you are saying, but I still enjoy the World Cup. I think the NHL season is too long and the world champs is held to often. If it the games/year would be cut down we would have a better World Cup, and a proper world cup would grow the international interest in the game.

But since there is $$ involved there will be no change to this. shortsighted $$-thinking always goes before reason and sense.

Old
05-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Metalcommand

I don't really care does a tournament have great history, traditions or things like that. The World Cup is a best-on best tournament just like the Olympics and I fail to see why other fellow Euros would not care about this tournament.

It still hurts me when I think about '04 when I as a little kid woke up in the middle of the night only to see Finland lose to Canada. Bitter memories ; (

Old
05-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
My biggest problem with this tournament is how much its played in North America. If its the World Cup play it all over the world. The last one they played a bunch of games in Europe then those teams had to FLY over while 4 teams got to stay on one side of the world and rest. Thats not good.

They need to improve that aspect of the tournament.
It's all about $$$$.

Tournaments ALWAYS do very well in Canadian cities...it's one of the reasons why the WJCs are in Canada every 2-3 years.

Old
05-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
It's all about $$$$.

Tournaments ALWAYS do very well in Canadian cities...it's one of the reasons why the WJCs are in Canada every 2-3 years.
Of course every tournament is about $$$, but unlike the World Cup, IIHF profits are disbursed to every federation and then filtered down to support IIHF Div 1, II, etc. events.
The World Cup is nothing but an NHL cash grab designed, more or less, for the benefit of the NHL only.
Not only is the tournament set-up unfair, itís also economically exclusionary which is not good for the global game.

Old
05-27-2010, 01:39 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I am European and loved the World Cup when it occurred, it featured the best players unlike the World Championships which can only be half taken seriously as a result of that fact. But I'm not from a country that regularly (or ever) wins medals at the World Championships so I have no need to pimp that event and make it seem more relevant than it is. Truth is that international hockey can't be considered 100% legitimate unless the NHL is involved to the extent that all NHL players can participate.

I personally don't really give a damn about the power struggle between the IIHF or the NHL, in reality they are all interested in lining their pockets so I really just wanna see the best players and the NHL is the key to that.

Old
05-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcommand View Post
I don't really care does a tournament have great history, traditions or things like that. The World Cup is a best-on best tournament just like the Olympics and I fail to see why other fellow Euros would not care about this tournament.

It still hurts me when I think about '04 when I as a little kid woke up in the middle of the night only to see Finland lose to Canada. Bitter memories ; (
Apart from some shortcomings already mentioned, the World Cup is also viewed as not being impartial.

Yes North Americans view IIHF events similarly, but at least (being part of IIHF) USA Hockey and Hockey Canada have a say in decisions....especially with the $$$ Canada can generate. That 'global input' doesn't exist with the World Cup. It's nothing more than an NHL moneymaker.

The situation is really no different than if the KHL sponsored a World Cup using its own standards and rules. Not sure everybody would take that seriously either.

World Cup has the potential to be a really good, but it needs to be more globalized to be taken seriously by all involved.

Old
05-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
The World Cup is nothing but an NHL cash grab designed, more or less, for the benefit of the NHL only.
Not only is the tournament set-up unfair, itís also economically exclusionary which is not good for the global game.
World Cup is organized by the NHLPA who get most, if not all, profits.

Old
05-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
World Cup is organized by the NHLPA who get most, if not all, profits.
lol. That's even worse. The union for millionaire players keep the profits.

Old
05-27-2010, 05:19 PM
tindo77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan001 View Post
You're an arrogant son of a *****.

The reason your American brother Jerk Off Bettman trashed the Canada cup was because Americans wouldn't buy into it.

Seems the Europeans really didn't mind having a cup to honoUr the country that gave the world the game of hockey.
Actually, the scrapping of the Canada Cup was a good thing. The name of the tournament was ridiculous and reflected Canada's clear inferiority complex about its place in and contribution to the world - especially being overshadowed by the USA.

Calling it the 'Canada Cup' was simply a way of saying: 'Hey - we're important!' Imagine if England said: 'We invented soccer so the FIFA World Cup should be called the 'England Cup' and always be held in England!' Or Greece saying: 'We invented the Olympics so the Olympic Games should be called the 'Greek Games' and always be held in Greece.'
Of course, England and Greece are far too enlightened to suggest something so ridiculous. Canada on the other hand...

Old
05-27-2010, 05:43 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo77 View Post
Actually, the scrapping of the Canada Cup was a good thing. The name of the tournament was ridiculous and reflected Canada's clear inferiority complex about its place in and contribution to the world - especially being overshadowed by the USA.

Calling it the 'Canada Cup' was simply a way of saying: 'Hey - we're important!' Imagine if England said: 'We invented soccer so the FIFA World Cup should be called the 'England Cup' and always be held in England!' Or Greece saying: 'We invented the Olympics so the Olympic Games should be called the 'Greek Games' and always be held in Greece.'
Of course, England and Greece are far too enlightened to suggest something so ridiculous. Canada on the other hand...

Guess you haven't seen the recent footage of the constant riots in Athens and Greek protesters burning down banks and killing innocent people....all the while sticking out their hands and asking for a massive bailout by their fellow Europeans. I'm glad I don't live over there right now. Didn't realize that such a horrific inability to manage your country's finances is "enlightened".....

Old
05-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Nakawick

Quote:

Well, at least thank Canada for making an international tournament involving the best players. There is no longer a need to call it the Canada cup. As for England and Greece, enjoy your history because the future looks bleak.

Old
05-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:

You do realize it was called the Canada Cup because the tourny was played in CANADA. But thanks for turning this political.

Old
05-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Haha.. Yeah, there's no Canadian inferiority complex.. at all. Show 'em gang!

Old
05-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
Haha.. Yeah, there's no Canadian inferiority complex.. at all. Show 'em gang!
Its a superiority complex....cuz we're better then you at hockey.

Old
05-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

No doubt. Hockey is Canada's game.

You're pretty **** at everything else though

Old
05-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Riggins

Quote:

I think we're pretty good at being a great place to live. I'd prefer to be decent at soccer though.

As far as the World Cup goes, I say just give it the axe. It doesn't hold much weight, unless maybe it was every four years halfway between the Olympics and rotated between Europe and North America. When I think on Canada's great victories recently I think 2010 and 2002, not so much with 2004(?) beating Finland.

Old
05-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

You have a decent place to live for about a month of the year and you're already decent at soccer. You have this guy, who's almost Canadian.

He has a bizarre German/English accent and everything.

Old
05-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Nakawick

Quote:

Sweden is pretty **** at sports not popular is Sweden too. Come to think of it, what is Sweden good at besides hockey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
I think we're pretty good at being a great place to live. I'd prefer to be decent at soccer though.

As far as the World Cup goes, I say just give it the axe. It doesn't hold much weight, unless maybe it was every four years halfway between the Olympics and rotated between Europe and North America. When I think on Canada's great victories recently I think 2010 and 2002, not so much with 2004(?) beating Finland.
The World cup would be better with the suggestions you made, however, if a best on best tournament was held every 2 years instead of 4, do you think that would that take away from the excitement? I think it would have to alternate between Europe and NA too. How many teams do you think there should be in a best on best? 8? 10? 12? 16?

Old
05-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:

Nobody cares. This is a hockey board.

Go post about what Canada is bad at on the everything else board.

Old
05-28-2010, 12:37 AM
William H Bonney

After spending a good amount of time attempting to clean up all the trolling/off-topic posts in this thread, I've decided it's not worth the time. When a thread is started about the potential 2011 World Cup, the discussion should be about the 2011 World Cup of Hockey; not the Stanley Cup, the Governor General of Canada, Soccer, Basketball, Canada's abilities at other sports, how you think Bettman is rigging international hockey for Team USA, or any of the other off-topic drivel that was spewed here.

If the OP, or any of the few that actually wanted to discuss the potential for the 2011 World Cup want to start a new thread to try and get a valid discussion, feel free but do not get sidetracked again please.