HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Players that need to go this off season

Old
05-19-2010, 01:20 AM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
Players that need to go this off season

List the players that you don't want back and need to go this off season via trade, buy out or non contract etc.

Here is my list:

The Kostitsyn brothers
- Personally, I think the expirement with the Kostitsyn brothers is over and we failed in the first round of the 2003 NHL entry draft (the deepest and most succesfull first round in the last decade). They are both lazy, in-consistent, have poor attitudes and do not belong on a team with players like Cammalleri, Gionta, Gorges etc. I say trade them both to a team that needs offense and scoring wingers (Boston, Pittsburgh, Vancouver etc.)

Tomas Plekanec
- I have had enough of this guy's soft play in the playoffs and in-ability to show up when it matters, I have yet to see him do anything after round #1, it's enough, trade his rights at the draft for a second round pick and a prospect (a la Bouwmeester trade).

Roman Hamrlik
- Slow, overpaid, problems off the ice, bad under pressure, too old, need I say more? Buy him out please and spend the money on defensive help (younger, faster and stay at home).

Marc-Andre Bergeron
- I don't have to explain this!

Mathieu Darche
- Too old and taking up a spot that can be given to a younger player in Hamilton like Trotter, White or even Pacioretty and Palushaj.

Glen Metropolit
- Too old and will want a pay raise, let him walk after his career year, he will be 36 soon.

Paul Mara
- No comment, does not fit here.

Ryan O'Byrne
- He is young, he has potential and has the size to be a good stay at home defenseman, but he needs to be dangled as trade bait to either move up in the first round or for another pick or prospect, I think Subban, Weber and Carle are all NHL ready next season, hopefully Emelin too.

Jaroslav Halak
- Last but not least, I think that it's the best time to trade Halak, he will command a $4,000,000.00 salary and we cannot afford that if we want to get tougher, bigger and stronger (especially down the middle), I would say that a team like Tampa Bay, Atlanta, St. Louis and Edmonton aside from Chicago, Philadelphia and Washington will all be looking to get more talented and younger in goal and I think that Halak can fetch us more than Price, I think we can get a top six forward under 24 years old and a mid to low 1st round draft pick, I say trade him and go with Price and Sanford next season. It sounds stupid now, but who knows that he will do next season and I would hate to give him a big contract and then have what happened to Theodore and Thomas here.

Build around:

Cammalleri - Gomez - Gionta
Pouliot - xxxxx - xxxxx
Pacioretty - Lapierre - Moen
Pyatt - Moore - xxxxx

Markov - Subban
Gill - Gorges
xxxxx - Spacek

Price
xxxxx

Last edited by WestIslander: 05-19-2010 at 01:29 AM.
WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:30 AM
HabuseMoi

Could this wait until after our playoff run?

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:33 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
Could this wait until after our playoff run?
No, because even if they win the cup, I don't care for these players next season under the current salary cap and performances except for Halak.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Markovs elbow pad

Agree with every player except for Halak.

Markovs elbow pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I'm willing to give pleks a bit of a break. He's the only guy on our top 6 that didnt miss any time this year... plus he was a key contributor to the czech team in the olympics. If you add all that up, he has played over 100 games (minus pre season) this year, and played some big minutes during key injuries.

Maybe he's playing through a tough injury as well, but if any hab is suffering from burnout just based on total games played, it is him.

The others I'd keep from that list are OB and Halak. OB is a terrific depth guy to have and is a cap friendly player. I dont need to justify Jaro's importance.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:08 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
My list merely depends on the return but i can safely say i want o'byrne on this team. The K bros, unless we get something decent back, i won't want them gone for free and I'd rather keep plek than gomez.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:39 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

O'B ???

guess D men who hit arent a popular breed...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:01 AM
GNick42

Agree with opening poster except on Halak. I thought he played well again last night. I don't think Price is going to make it...maybe we should have kept Leighton and traded him 2 years ago. Funny, how things work out.

Plekanec...yeah 5.5 million he is asking for too much money for a small center who doesn't play well in playoffs. I think we can get 50 points out of Trotter next season who has been playing well in Hamilton's playoffs and is signed for peanuts to what Plekanec makes.

Price...I'd trade him, he is still worth a decent return, trade him out west we can use a good player in return. Halak has taken over and we know what we have in Halak...one of top 5 goalies in league and upside to be a young Hasek. Price has good attitude but was messed up by Melanson when he tried to change his style. Needs a change of scenery.

Hamrlik...A little something like Plekanec 5.5 million a little high for what he offers. A 4-5 defenseman is what he is in this stage of his career.

O'Bryne...I would keep. He makes bone head plays at times, but cheap and as a 5-6 defenseman I have no problem with that.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:08 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

here's a thought: trade or don't trade depending on the return we can get. regard players as assets, and manage them to maximize our team's overall value/potential. are others here not a little sick of the ribeiro-factor, wherein habs decide a player "has to go", make the move despite getting sfa back?

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:42 AM
andy28

I agree with the OP on most things as well. Except for moving O'Byrne and Halak.

I don't want to resign Pleks with his value going up. He is worth it elsewhere. But for us, we already have soft players. I like the guy, but for me its about balancing the team out a little.

Also I would like to see us try to move Gomez. Nothing against him as a player but that contract really screws the team over.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 05:16 AM
LeMAD

As long as the OP realizes he wants the team to tank.

And btw Hamrlik will still be here next year, or at least his salary if we buy him out.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 05:26 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
I agree with the OP on most things as well. Except for moving O'Byrne and Halak.

I don't want to resign Pleks with his value going up. He is worth it elsewhere. But for us, we already have soft players. I like the guy, but for me its about balancing the team out a little.

Also I would like to see us try to move Gomez. Nothing against him as a player but that contract really screws the team over.
and who would be our 1st and 2nd line C... Lapierre and Moore ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 05:47 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
and who would be our 1st and 2nd line C... Lapierre and Moore ?
There are other options around the league, though it may be hard to get two centermen. I don't think Gomez is going anywhere. Having a tougher center to play with Cammy would be nice.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 05:58 AM
habs24

Great list. Pretty much bang on. O'B I'm still on the fence on.

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:33 AM
TheCH*

Trade Gomez and Price.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:09 AM
GNick42

Gomez contract is virtually unmovable...a 7.37 cap hit for 52 points? He will be here for sure. That's why we got Gomez for a couple of messed up players in Higgins and McDonogh, Rangers just wanted to get our from under the contract. Ideally, I would like a big 20 goal scoring center behind Gomez but know that is not likely to happen. Instead I would play Trotter, take the 50 points and 5 million less he makes than Plekanec and use it to boost the team somewhere else.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
List the players that you don't want back and need to go this off season via trade, buy out or non contract etc.

Here is my list:

The Kostitsyn brothers
- Personally, I think the expirement with the Kostitsyn brothers is over and we failed in the first round of the 2003 NHL entry draft (the deepest and most succesfull first round in the last decade). They are both lazy, in-consistent, have poor attitudes and do not belong on a team with players like Cammalleri, Gionta, Gorges etc. I say trade them both to a team that needs offense and scoring wingers (Boston, Pittsburgh, Vancouver etc.)

Tomas Plekanec
- I have had enough of this guy's soft play in the playoffs and in-ability to show up when it matters, I have yet to see him do anything after round #1, it's enough, trade his rights at the draft for a second round pick and a prospect (a la Bouwmeester trade).

Roman Hamrlik
- Slow, overpaid, problems off the ice, bad under pressure, too old, need I say more? Buy him out please and spend the money on defensive help (younger, faster and stay at home).

Marc-Andre Bergeron

Mathieu Darche
- Too old and taking up a spot that can be given to a younger player in Hamilton like Trotter, White or even Pacioretty and Palushaj.

Glen Metropolit
- Too old and will want a pay raise, let him walk after his career year, he will be 36 soon.

Paul Mara

Ryan O'Byrne
- He is young, he has potential and has the size to be a good stay at home defenseman, but he needs to be dangled as trade bait to either move up in the first round or for another pick or prospect, I think Subban, Weber and Carle are all NHL ready next season, hopefully Emelin too.

Jaroslav Halak
- Last but not least, I think that it's the best time to trade Halak, he will command a $4,000,000.00 salary and we cannot afford that if we want to get tougher, bigger and stronger (especially down the middle), I would say that a team like Tampa Bay, Atlanta, St. Louis and Edmonton aside from Chicago, Philadelphia and Washington will all be looking to get more talented and younger in goal and I think that Halak can fetch us more than Price, I think we can get a top six forward under 24 years old and a mid to low 1st round draft pick, I say trade him and go with Price and Sanford next season. It sounds stupid now, but who knows that he will do next season and I would hate to give him a big contract and then have what happened to Theodore and Thomas here.

Build around:

Pouliot - xxxxx - xxxxx
Pyatt - Moore - xxxxx

Markov - Subban
Gill - Gorges
xxxxx - Spacek

Price
xxxxx
Lucky we didn't lose in the 1st round as predicted, you'd be cutting/trading the whole team and having an entirely new roster next year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:20 AM
Kboum

If you think Plekanek isnt good in playoffs, you're wrong. He was matched against others team best line. Every time he played against Crosby 5 on 5... Corsby didnt score any goal. The only time he scored (1 goal 5 on 5) is when Pleky wasnt on the ice.

He's very very but very good to shut down others team best line. Yeah... he could get more points, but in playoffs, the matchups are really important and its one of the reasons we're here now...

But of course, I'd like a bigger center

Kboum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:28 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Halak
Gomez
Plekanec
Metropolit
Darche
MAB
SKOST

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
here's a thought: trade or don't trade depending on the return we can get. regard players as assets, and manage them to maximize our team's overall value/potential. are others here not a little sick of the ribeiro-factor, wherein habs decide a player "has to go", make the move despite getting sfa back?
Ribeiro was traded because he was polluting the dressing room, it was him or Koivu, so it was a no brainer. If he had stayed in the "Montreal nightlife" he would have never had the years he did in Dallas, he said it himself.

Old
05-19-2010, 07:32 AM
JayBee*

The problem with Pleks is he's a non-physical two-way player that just happened to score 70 points. I don't think he deserves 5 mill...I'd be willing to sign him for 4-4.25. Gomez and Pleks as your centers for the next 4 years or so is a little scary if size is not addressed on the wing.

No way I'm tradign Obyrne unless I'm getting something good back.

If I can't keep both goalies....I'm picking Price. I've always been fond of big body goalies. And this Philly series shows that you don't have to be great in net to be successful. Keep Price and build up the D-Core. I'd get rid of Hamr for sure...and try later on to get rid of Spacek. Love Gill but I'd get rid of him too at next year's deadline. This team needs a STUD stay at home, physical D-man and another rough d-man who can hit the net (I thought this was what Mara was going to be like).

I guarantee. If Price has Philly's D, he's a top 10 goalie. Could probably say the same for Halak too though.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
I agree with the list, except for Halak and Metro.

Halak will not "command" a 4m/yr salary. With a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe trophy, maybe.

I'd say around 3 yr / 10 million max. This is not a bash on Price, but he does need at least one more year in a backup role, we've made the mistake too many times of throwing him into the starters role when he's not ready/didn't earn it.

I'd take Metro on for one more year, (at a similar salary) some games he was our best player.

I wouldn't mind hanging onto O'Byrne either.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:54 AM
maci4life

Quote:

Here is my list:

The Kostitsyn brothers

Tomas Plekanec

Roman Hamrlik

Marc-Andre Bergeron

Mathieu Darche

Glen Metropolit

Paul Mara

Ryan O'Byrne

Jaroslav Halak

Build around:

Pouliot - xxxxx - xxxxx
Pyatt - Moore - xxxxx

Markov - Subban
Gill - Gorges
xxxxx - Spacek

Price
xxxxx
i agree with everyone on the list except for maybe o'byrne. He won't be worth much out on the market and may still learn a thing or 2.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:

Here is my list:

The Kostitsyn brothers

Tomas Plekanec

Roman Hamrlik

Marc-Andre Bergeron

Mathieu Darche

Glen Metropolit

Paul Mara

Ryan O'Byrne

Jaroslav Halak

Build around:

Pouliot - xxxxx - xxxxx
Pyatt - Moore - xxxxx

Markov - Subban
Gill - Gorges
xxxxx - Spacek

Price
xxxxx

The Canadiens need to get rid of everybody you said, except Halak, O'Byrne and possibly Plekanec.

The truth is, Halak IS the #1 goalie for the Habs and they should keep him because Carey Price will never amount to anything as a Hab. Ryan O'Byrne is a great defencemen with lots of size and toughness and good speed for a big guy....we need to keep him because he's big, young and defensive. Plekanec needs to be kept too because he is our best centerman. I agree that he done nothing in the playoffs the last 2 years, but the guy doesn't have mush playoff experience. Joe Thornton hasn't done anything in the playoffs until this year, but I'd still love him on my team. Pleks has a lot to offer, he just needs to gain valuable playoff experience and he'll be even better in the next 2 or 3 years.

Mara is brutal....gone, The Kostitsyn's have no heart....gone, Hamrlik is too old, slow and takes up too much cap space....gone, Bergeron is rotten....gone, Darche shouldn't have been on the team this year....gone and Metropolit had a great season, I like what he brings with his experience, but he's not gonna win anything for you.....gone.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
The Canadiens need to get rid of everybody you said, except Halak, O'Byrne and possibly Plekanec.

The truth is, Halak IS the #1 goalie for the Habs and they should keep him because Carey Price will never amount to anything as a Hab. Ryan O'Byrne is a great defencemen with lots of size and toughness and good speed for a big guy....we need to keep him because he's big, young and defensive. Plekanec needs to be kept too because he is our best centerman. I agree that he done nothing in the playoffs the last 2 years, but the guy doesn't have mush playoff experience. Joe Thornton hasn't done anything in the playoffs until this year, but I'd still love him on my team. Pleks has a lot to offer, he just needs to gain valuable playoff experience and he'll be even better in the next 2 or 3 years.

Mara is brutal....gone, The Kostitsyn's have no heart....gone, Hamrlik is too old, slow and takes up too much cap space....gone, Bergeron is rotten....gone, Darche shouldn't have been on the team this year....gone and Metropolit had a great season, I like what he brings with his experience, but he's not gonna win anything for you.....gone.
Plekanec has 9 even strength points in 16 games, that's behind only Cammalleri, plus he's contributed on PK and played head to head with some of the top players in the league. Not sure where anybody gets that he's been anything less than good in the playoffs. I like his edge and competitiveness, he is the type of player taht has to be kept, not let go. I agree that the contract has to be reasonable, maybe give him a Backstrom type deal over 7-8 years with a lower cap hit(4.5-4.7).