HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Apple, Consider Yourselves *****slapped By Google

Old
05-20-2010, 03:43 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

vCash: 500
Apple, Consider Yourselves *****slapped By Google

First they announce Google TV: http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/20/g...rns-on-at-i-o/

Second they show flash 10.1 working ABSOLUTELY FINE ON A MOBILE DEVICE: http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/20/f...how-froyo-now/

Oh yeah and apparently you can install apps over-the-air and stream music to your phone from itunes: http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/20/g...nes-streaming/

05-20-2010, 03:55 PM
FruityPants3*

Awesome. I want to see Apple fall hard on the Flash sword. The way they've handled it is enough to make me switch platforms.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:28 PM
guinness
those were the days

Don't forget about that royalty-free codec, WebM IIRC.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Clock

I cannot wait to get my EVO in a few weeks.

The iTunes sharing is pretty cool, too. Hopefully that will work from anywhere over any available connection. It'd be pretty badass if I could pull down music over 4G or 3G from the other end of the country.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:36 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

For the second part, I've seen stuff work fine in demos then it completely falls on its ass in practice.

Also it's pretty easy to ***** slap a company that relies entirely on being hip and not actually having the best product.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
For the second part, I've seen stuff work fine in demos then it completely falls on its ass in practice.
I don't know about you. But that's about as "in practice" as you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Don't forget about that royalty-free codec, WebM IIRC.
That's gotta be the biggest under the radar announcement Google has made so far.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 05:06 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

That wasn't a demo. Was a review sample phone with it installed

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
What is iPad?
iPad is thin
iPad is beautiful
iPad goes anywhere and lasts all day
There's no right way or wrong way
It's crazy powerful
It's magical
You already know how to use it
It's two hundred thousand apps and counting
All the world's websites in your hands
It's videos, photos
More books than you could read in a lifetime
It's already a revolution and it's only just begun!

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 06:27 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone View Post
What is iPad?
iPad is thin
iPad is beautiful
It's crazy powerful
It's magical
It's videos, photos

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Hey Dolph, take a memo on your Newton

"Beat up Martin" => "Eat up Martha"

Bah! *Throws at Martin*

Yeah, Apple can go s a d.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 09:39 PM
SilverSeven

Im pretty excited for 2.2

Its nice finally have a top end phone. Especially one that isnt MASSIVELY restricted by my carrier (dont know if its bad in the US, but in Canada the carriers cripple phones).

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone View Post
What is iPad?
iPad is thin
iPad is beautiful
It's crazy powerful
It's magical
It's videos, photos
Throwback to "What is Newton?" as parabola posted. Anxiously awaiting my own. Just in time for my month long trip to Europe.

And...why is GoogleTV a *****slap to Apple? I don't remember readng anywhere that Apple wanted to make anything like it, closest I heard was iTunes streaming over the internet a la Grooveshark. Oh and I got over Flash...long ago. Seriously, I don't even care anymore. Only flash-intense site I use is YouTube. Not even joking. And there's an app for that on iPhone OS that works just fine.

What other flash sites do you guys visit that make it a must on a mobile device? Hell, when HTML5 YouTube is usable, I'm switching over to that...too bad it's barebones right now.

re: over the air...tried that app out. It's kinda wonky, neat concept though...I'm holding out hope Apple said no because they're going to make their own awesome wireless sync appear in 4.0.

PS - This is not meant to start a flamewar, let's try and keep civil discussion. I don't use Flash much, maybe others do...but I couldn't care less about this whole Flash debate. It's Jobs's own platform, if people don't like it, they can get Android. No one is forcing anyone to use Apple's products, and if Flash is really that important, then an iPhone/iPad isn't for you.

Last edited by Coldplay: 05-20-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
And...why is GoogleTV a *****slap to Apple? I don't remember readng anywhere that Apple wanted to make anything like it, closest I heard was iTunes streaming over the internet a la Grooveshark.

Quote:
Oh and I got over Flash...long ago. Seriously, I don't even care anymore. Only flash-intense site I use is YouTube. Not even joking. And there's an app for that on iPhone OS that works just fine.

What other flash sites do you guys visit that make it a must on a mobile device? Hell, when HTML5 YouTube is usable, I'm switching over to that...too bad it's barebones right now.

PS - This is not meant to start a flamewar, let's try and keep civil discussion. I don't use Flash much, maybe others do...but I couldn't care less about this whole Flash debate. It's Jobs's own platform, if people don't like it, they can get Android. No one is forcing anyone to use Apple's products, and if Flash is really that important, then an iPhone/iPad isn't for you.
Try this. Uninstall flash plugins from your browsers. Then tell us of your internet experience.

Another case of, I never had it so I don't think I need it.

You're thinking too narrowly of Flash because of how ubiquitous it is across the internet.

Quote:
re: over the air...tried that app out. It's kinda wonky, neat concept though...I'm holding out hope Apple said no because they're going to make their own awesome wireless sync appear in 4.0.
Not the same idea. Not even close.
Said no to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Im pretty excited for 2.2

Its nice finally have a top end phone. Especially one that isnt MASSIVELY restricted by my carrier (dont know if its bad in the US, but in Canada the carriers cripple phones).
Verizon was notoriously bad with other phone but have been really good with their Android Lineup.
AT&T is the ultimate crippler, I mean they replaced Google with Yahoo search in their ONLY Android Phone.
T-Mo actually packages useful things with their Android.
Sprint is meh, they add somewhat useless stuff but nothing overly retarded.

Last edited by Sined: 05-20-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old
05-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post

Try this. Uninstall flash plugins from your browsers. Then tell us of your internet experience.

Another case of, I never had it so I don't think I need it.

You're thinking too narrowly of Flash because of how ubiquitous it is across the internet.

Not the same idea. Not even close.
Said no to what?
1 - forgot about AppleTV...lol this isn't even a competitor. Apple has pretty much abandoned that glorified HD that can play iTunes movies, this is a whole new concept. Apple even calls it a "hobby"...and one they've neglected. Interested to see Google's take.

2 - I think I'll try that and I'll let you know...I may be thinking narrow minded a bit, but I do a lot of browsing on my iPod touch, and I almost never need flash. The only time I do there's my YouTube app...I'm basing myself off of that, the fact that I don't encounter "broken plugin" warnings on iPhone OS. Flash is definitely widespread, but I don't browse flash-heavy sites. On Safari, before I swithced to Chrome recently (see, I don't hate Google ), I had this neat extension called "ClickToFlash" which made all flash elements on every webpage I visited clickable (meaning they didn't load until I clicked on them). Only time I ever "clicked" to load Flash was on YouTube.

3 - Not the same idea? The app being referred to syncs songs/apps wirelessly from iTunes to iDevices. I was wondering if Apple rejected it from the store because they'd be coming out with something similar.

Old
05-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
3 - Not the same idea? The app being referred to syncs songs/apps wirelessly from iTunes to iDevices. I was wondering if Apple rejected it from the store because they'd be coming out with something similar.
It's not being transferred. You initiate the download of an app or song via browser in the revamped desktop version of the Android market and it downloads it to you phone with no user intervention.

The songs being played from iTunes on the phone weren't synced those were buffered from your computer acting as a server. This feature I don't see myself using too much unless at a WiFi hotspot.

Old
05-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
It's not being transferred. You initiate the download of an app or song via browser in the revamped desktop version of the Android market and it downloads it to you phone with no user intervention.

The songs being played from iTunes on the phone weren't synced those were buffered from your computer acting as a server. This feature I don't see myself using too much unless at a WiFi hotspot.
My bad...I misread the OP (as usual) and we were talking about entirely different things.

I was thinking of this app that was rejected by Apple called "Wi-Fi Sync"...similar to Google's, but not the same obviously.

Old
05-20-2010, 11:09 PM
guinness
those were the days

I don't find the iTunes streaming that impressive, I used to do it to my PSP, although slightly more awkwardly.

http://skattertech.com/2006/04/strea...ibrary-to-psp/

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
I don't need flash on my phone and i can stream my music from my home computer to my iPhone easily over 3G. So... I win?

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:00 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Oh and I got over Flash...long ago. Seriously, I don't even care anymore. Only flash-intense site I use is YouTube. Not even joking. And there's an app for that on iPhone OS that works just fine.

What other flash sites do you guys visit that make it a must on a mobile device? Hell, when HTML5 YouTube is usable, I'm switching over to that...too bad it's barebones right now

I don't use Flash much, maybe others do...but I couldn't care less about this whole Flash debate. It's Jobs's own platform, if people don't like it, they can get Android. No one is forcing anyone to use Apple's products, and if Flash is really that important, then an iPhone/iPad isn't for you.
It's not an everyday website argument for me. It's an issue about the fact that 99% of computers can view flash, hundreds of thousands of sites use flash, and if you visit one of them, you aren't getting the same experience if you have an Apple mobile device. So the handful of sites you visit daily might not use flash, but if you use the internet as it's designed, to move from one site to another, you will run into sites that use flash and you won't be able to view properly. And not just media sites, but everyday corporate info sites.

Old
05-21-2010, 09:31 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
It's not an everyday website argument for me. It's an issue about the fact that 99% of computers can view flash, hundreds of thousands of sites use flash, and if you visit one of them, you aren't getting the same experience if you have an Apple mobile device. So the handful of sites you visit daily might not use flash, but if you use the internet as it's designed, to move from one site to another, you will run into sites that use flash and you won't be able to view properly. And not just media sites, but everyday corporate info sites.
Dude entire websites are made with flash, he may only browse to 2-3 websites total but honestly many sites are built practically from the ground up on flash.

This isn't just some uncommon thing, many websites use it.

If you don't use flash, that's like living in the past. You may as well go and browse using netscape.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Frankie Spankie

Heh, I can't stand Apple and the fact that they basically have this snobby community that will do whatever Apple tells them to do just to be cool. Any hit on Apple is approved by me!!

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Really interested how the integration with Dish Network will look in the fall

Old
05-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Was I the only one not very impressed by that demo? He didn't really challenge Flash's capabilities, and most of it looked buggy anyway. He even said it himself, "it's not a perfect implementation, but it works."

The impression I always got from Apple is that Flash doesn't work perfectly with a mobile device, so that is why it was never included. Apple won't release it unless it is perfect. (I'm not an Apple fan BTW)

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 04:22 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
Heh, I can't stand Apple and the fact that they basically have this snobby community that will do whatever Apple tells them to do just to be cool. Any hit on Apple is approved by me!!
The problem is, most apple fans are just puppets. They regurgitate the same spew the next apple guy does. Bottom line is, they like apple because of a logo, and just can't admit that the reason they like something is cause it's gimmicky rather than actually good.

Sorry I just find Apple is all about gimmicks and marketing. I do like the iPod and all because other mp3 players I had owned in the past broke for stupid reasons or had dumb defects, the one ipod I got lasted a long time. However in general I just find they're all about the gimmicks and their fans can't just accept that they like their products due to being a fanboy, not due to logical reasoning.

Ever notice how Apple can do no wrong? It's like not a single one of their products are ever bad or overpriced according to people like Coldplay. (Not trying to call you out bro, but you're the only one on here I know right off the top of my head)

And it is true, you guys never can admit one fault on an apple product, let alone if it's bad in general. People say it's overpriced, you'll say it's better than PC, even though way back when, I would be able to make a hackintosh with the same hardware for half the cost. (Granted I do realize now they've lowered their prices) But you get my point, Apple people are Apple people. PC people aren't all about names, hell most of us are happy with our clones, with our linux/winblows/hackintosh os, but with Apple fans if it isn't Apple, it simply doesn't compare, which imo isn't the case in the slightest.

People would basically argue that because their mac has an apple logo, it's better than the hackintosh I paid like half the price for which has better hardware on every level, yeah ok.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 06:22 PM
FruityPants3*

^ well, I'm a pretty big Apple fan (work on an IMAC and at home have a MBP & iPhone), but I have no problem being critical of the product. The problem isn't that Apple fans are all stupid or zombies, it's that 'most' people who want to argue with them do it from just as ignorant an angle. You can go on all you want about how they regurgitate the same spew as the next person, but that's exactly what the counter points are from the anti-Apple crowd. Read any Apple vs PC discussion online and you'll find about as much intellectual integrity (on both sides) as a discussion between Israelis and Palestinians about the Middle East.

The word Apple is simply flame bait and both sides have a lot of trouble maintaining any level of objectivity or critical thought.