HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Post your backyard setup

Old
05-20-2010, 05:08 PM
kr580

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kr580
Post your backyard setup

I recently put together a little backyard shooting setup and figured it would be interesting to see what everyone else has, where ever it may be.

I stole ideas I saw from wondeROY (tape to tape) and Skraut (board, lube and net) Thanks guys. This setup was fairly cheap and should last me quite a while.

Let's see yours.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Supplies used:
Thrifty White Board - $12 (Found at most big hardware stores.)
B'laster Silicone Lube - $3 (Again, found at most hardware stores. -- Spray on board, wipe gently with towel so it creates a thin, smooth film and let dry. Don't overdo it.)
Impact Netting (Price varies with size. I got 12' x 25'.)
Rope - $9 (Any rope will do. This is to hang the net as well as secure the bottom of the net.)
24" Bungee Cord - $3 (Nice flat, wide band good for catching pucks.)
Random 2"x4" board for the tape-to-tape and a 1/2" thick 4' x 8' plywood sheet to go under the white board for reinforcement (The thrifty white board seems like it would crack if it bows too much during shots. If you have a flat surface, you're good.)

Last edited by kr580: 12-30-2010 at 02:56 PM.
kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Skraut

Heh, I just came inside from using mine. You already posted a link to pictures of it so here's a video in action

I love watching the vinyl piece at the bottom of the net jump to help absorb the impact of the shots.

I've also been turning the board sideways and using the tape2tape setup to practice one-timers.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Is this a thread to make me jealous?

It's awesome how your backyards look like.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 08:36 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
Is this a thread to make me jealous?
this^ FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I'm in a little beach cottage now just fligging pucks at an old fan. When I move to most likely a bigger place with a backyard, I cannot wait to get a shooting board and build my setup. I could spend hours working on my shot. Pop in some tunes and fire away.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 03:08 AM
Razzmatazz

That really sucks, whoever helped you with that should be ashamed .

Last edited by Razzmatazz: 05-21-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 03:04 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
this^ FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

First set up is sweet. I'll snap a shot of mine tonight

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:11 AM
pistolpete31

dude where did you get that massive net...I have to know

pistolpete31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:42 AM
kr580

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete31 View Post
dude where did you get that massive net...I have to know
I got a 12' x 25' impact net. He has all sorts of sizes. They come in different strengths too, so if you get one be sure to get an 'impact' net.

http://stores.ebay.com/FLORIDA-NETS_...34Q2ec0Q2em322

And surely more people have a setup of some sort? I don't care if it's a spare board for shooting and a fence.

Old
05-23-2010, 02:09 AM
Hockeyfan68

I just use my 4ft x 6ft goal net and make sure I do not miss the net.

Kiss the can!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 02:09 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
And surely more people have a setup of some sort? I don't care if it's a spare board for shooting and a fence.
I shoot at two big hard garbage cans up against a metal fence. Problem is neighbors too close and one off the fence can easily break a window if it catches the perfect angle so I decided to stop that for now lol

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 03:23 AM
pistolpete31

Ill post a pic tomorrow, its too late today

Old
05-23-2010, 01:25 PM
pistolpete31

Also have to post my pregame meal.

Old
05-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I got a 12' x 25' impact net. He has all sorts of sizes. They come in different strengths too, so if you get one be sure to get an 'impact' net.

http://stores.ebay.com/FLORIDA-NETS_...34Q2ec0Q2em322

The thing about the nets if anybody is looking to pick one up, make sure you have it much bigger than you think you need. Slack, like shown in the first picture, is important in gradually slowing the puck down. If you pull it tight like I first did when I got it, You'll end up with a few holes, even if it's the impact net. But set it up properly and it is more than strong enough.

I bought the one that is 25 ft wide, and initially stretched it to 25 ft. Now it's a little over 14 ft wide, and it looks about as wide as what kr580 has shown in the top picture.

Old
05-23-2010, 02:53 PM
kr580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
The thing about the nets if anybody is looking to pick one up, make sure you have it much bigger than you think you need. Slack, like shown in the first picture, is important in gradually slowing the puck down. If you pull it tight like I first did when I got it, You'll end up with a few holes, even if it's the impact net. But set it up properly and it is more than strong enough.

I bought the one that is 25 ft wide, and initially stretched it to 25 ft. Now it's a little over 14 ft wide, and it looks about as wide as what kr580 has shown in the top picture.
Ah, yes, good point. That's a 25' wide net and I have it set up at about 13' wide. I could stretch it to maybe 18' wide before I'd be worried about putting holes in the net and ripping off whatever I have it tied to on the roof. It's 12' high but I'm using it at about 8' high as well. The more slack, the less impact the net takes.

Old
05-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

I have a driveway.

That is all you need.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Skraut

HeadCoach once mentioned building a 2.5 inch stand to simulate the height of skates, so that you don't have to cut down, or choke up on your sticks when you practice on your skillpad.

Over the weekend I made mine.

Just took some 2X4's which are roughy 1.5 inches thick, and then found some 1 5/16 decking boards which are 1 inch think (man I hate lumber measurements)

works pretty well, feel myself leaning from my back more as opposed to bending my knees, need to work on that.

Last edited by Skraut: 05-25-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old
05-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Razzmatazz

I'm trying, at the moment, to come up with a stand-alone collapsible, mobile backstop that I can roll up and throw in the garage while I'm not using it. I don't have anywhere I can set it up permanently, so I need to make something that can change places, plus the neighborhood is deed-restricted, keeping me from setting up something permanent on the concrete.

I ordered the same net as KR is using in his setup last night, so hopefully it will beat me home for Memorial Day weekend. Other ingredients I plan on getting include at least 2-4 pieces of PVC, a couple latches that I can drill near the ends of the pipes to fold them, and then roll it up.

Basic Idea 1, Fold and Roll Scroll

2 vertical pvcs, cut midway with hinge, fold over. No horizontal support beyond nylon rope threaded through the top and bottom of the net. Once the vertical PVCs are folded, the net is rolled up to a compact 5 foot long piece. No hanging netting from the ends when it's broken down. Pucks probably can get under the net, and needs to have at least 2 support ropes staked into the ground on each side to keep the net from collapsing inward when pucks hit it.

Basic Idea 2, Camping Chair

2 vertical pvcs, plus a PVC across the bottom of the net, all cut midway with hinges. Instead of being rolled up, the cross beam on the bottom folds up and in as the two vertical beams are pushed together. Not sure how I'm going to do this yet, but the nylon rope threaded through the top of the netting will pull into the vertical pipe to help minimize the "hanging beaver" effect from the top part of then net as it is folded over. Advantages to this one is that it minimizes the collapsing force and strain on the net at the bottom when the puck hits it, and will have less pucks finding their way under the netting. This one seems like it has the potential to be more mobile as well.

For the first one, here is a hypothetical setup, staking it into the ground:

Old
05-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Skraut

The one big thing in my experience has been having some sort of support on the bottom, or the net flops up, and the pucks go under. In my case I'm using a 12 foot long 1x2 made out of vinyl. I got this at my local big box store near the vinyl siding trim. I'm not sure what it's normally used for so don't know the proper name. It was just in that section.

Having it there, and threading string trough the bottom of the net, and around this 1x2 keeps the pucks from going under the net, and because it is vinyl, mine flexes like a bow helping to absorb the impact. (watch my video on the 2nd post of this thread)

That's just my experience with the same type of net, and something you may want to work into your own design. Looks like KR has something solid, or semi-solid at the bottom of his as well, I just can't quite tell what it is.

Last edited by Skraut: 05-24-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old
05-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Razzmatazz

Yeah, he's got a long piece of aluminum across the bottom that is pretty flexible an staked into the ground, I think it really does the job.

While typing this message I may have come up with something

One would be to have the net fold like one of the collapsible goals that they have, so that it has some support parallel to the shot, almost shape it like a soccer goal...this might be a solution to combat some of the bend in the pipes when the puck hits...I'll get a diagram posted in a few minutes.

Old
05-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Skraut

Just did a quick test on mine. I have mine hooked into my deck roof with different hooks, I pulled out the middle ones to simulate it just being held up on the side. I have so much slack in it, that the middle sagged down to only about 3 ft off the ground.

Pulling it tight enough so that a side mount would be supportive, and you may start shooting the puck through it.

Can you do something like a "swingset" a giant A frame which would support the top bar. Then he sides of the A fold down along that top bar for storage, and the net wraps around it?

Or if you ran a cable between the 2 poles, and hung the net loosely from that, it may work.

edit again:

Do you have any place you could run a top cable to hang it from?

SemperSens sent me this image of a setup he did, where just the top cable is perminant, and then he used shower curtain hooks to hang the net from the cable. And he pulls the net down after each use by quickly opening the rings and pulling it out of the cable.

Last edited by Skraut: 05-24-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old
05-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Razzmatazz

I was planning on running a nylon rope of a specific length across the top and bottom so that the net would hold itself up. When I close it, I pull the rope through the pipes which closes the two vertical pieces together. What I'm worried about is the thing sagging, ideally I wouldn't have to have the crossbar, but if the net is heavy and starts pulling the top parts down, then that's something I might have to consider.

I'm starting to consider possibly making the base a seperate piece, to where I can hook the support ropes onto when I don't have a spot to put in stakes, but at this point, I want to make this thing as single pieced as possible.

Old
05-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Just did a quick test on mine. I have mine hooked into my deck roof with different hooks, I pulled out the middle ones to simulate it just being held up on the side. I have so much slack in it, that the middle sagged down to only about 3 ft off the ground.

Pulling it tight enough so that a side mount would be supportive, and you may start shooting the puck through it.

Can you do something like a "swingset" a giant A frame which would support the top bar. Then he sides of the A fold down along that top bar for storage, and the net wraps around it?

Or if you ran a cable between the 2 poles, and hung the net loosely from that, it may work.

edit again:

Do you have any place you could run a top cable to hang it from?

SemperSens sent me this image of a setup he did, where just the top cable is perminant, and then he used shower curtain hooks to hang the net from the cable. And he pulls the net down after each use by quickly opening the rings and pulling it out of the cable.
I was hoping to run a cable between my two vertical pieces of PVC, my concern is how much the weight of the netting is going to pull the tops in (post above).

I was going to fold over the edges of the net thread the rope through each hole manually so that it minimizes the stress on each twine of the netting. Ideally if I run nylon through the entire edge of the net, the nylon will absorb most of the blow.

Old
05-25-2010, 12:31 AM
Hockeyfan68

Boy you guys have some great setups! I love the netting stuff!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Razzmatazz

Okay, so here's what I've come up with. A wood and PVC base, where the 2x4 kickplate protects the bottom of the netting and PVC piping for driveway use. At the corners of the base are hooks for support lines from the top of each pole, so when I use it in the yard, I can just stake it down.