HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

slimey glove palms

Old
05-20-2010, 01:33 AM
hockeystud938

vCash: 500
slimey glove palms

so i have had the same pair of gloves for a while now... and they are starting to get slimy its really the best way i can describe it... i know gross right... but being gross is not my biggest concern... when i go to take a shot i feel that my hand slips and i can't get all that i want into my shot. Should i try to wash my gloves? if so how should i go about doing thing i have heard dishwasher? washing machine? or just a bucket with some soap in it?

has anyone else had trouble with this... thanks for the help

hockeystud938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 01:43 AM
densetsu

Step 1. Run very hot water through the gloves; I run several kettles of boiling water through each glove. Fun experiment: plug the sink drain so you can see how gross the runoff water is.

Step 2. Run cool water through them. Then pick up something with lanolin oil in it, and rub it into the inside of the palms. Baseball glove oil is available at most sport stores; you could also look for shaving cream with lanolin oil in it (nowadays most do *not* contain lanolin, so you have to read the ingredients).

Step 1 cleans the gloves, but all that water will tend to dry out the palms. Step 2 keeps them soft.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 06:57 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
Step 1. Run very hot water through the gloves; I run several kettles of boiling water through each glove. Fun experiment: plug the sink drain so you can see how gross the runoff water is.

Step 2. Run cool water through them. Then pick up something with lanolin oil in it, and rub it into the inside of the palms. Baseball glove oil is available at most sport stores; you could also look for shaving cream with lanolin oil in it (nowadays most do *not* contain lanolin, so you have to read the ingredients).

Step 1 cleans the gloves, but all that water will tend to dry out the palms. Step 2 keeps them soft.
uhoh, Ive heard form some credable sources over at MSH that you should NOT do this, but i think lanolin is ok

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 08:46 AM
shoeshine boy

agreed. OIL is not what you want. baseball glove conditioning FOAM works great though.
I've also heard some folks use shaving cream but I have no first-hand experience with it.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 09:50 AM
noobman

Slime? Err.... do you have anything growing in your hockey bag?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah slime would mean something is growing on the palms. Do you take your stuff out to dry?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Hockeyfan68

Beware Staph infection .... I and many others spray 70% mixture (sold thaT WAY USUALLY) rubbing alcohol. A regular spray bottle sprayer will screw right onto the alcohol bottle.

That and air your stuff out after you play!

I mentioned this already but Mark Stuart for the Bruins missed the last couple of games for the regular season as well as almost 2 full playoff rounds because bacteria was eating his flesh on his hand from dirty gloves. Staph is highly anti-biotic resistant and sometimes amputation is the only cure so clean your gloves as well as your other junk or spray alcohol.

Do not use febreze! It masks smell and does not kill bacteria!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 04:56 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Shaving cream does work great when cleaning gloves. Use the hot water trick and then run the shaving cream through the gloves. Finish it off with a rinse, and then use a very small amount of shaving cream and rub it dry into the palms. Don't use the gel cream.... Get the el cheapo barbasol stuff... The actual foam.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 05:00 PM
NomadFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post

Do not use febreze! It masks smell and does not kill bacteria!
Even their anti-bacterial line of products?

If so, I might need to buy a new bottle of something

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 05:47 PM
KevFist
is best pony

YEAH, the anti-bacterial febreeze still isn't that good. as sugested earlier, a bottle of alcohol is what ya need.It's typically only a dollar per bottle

Old
05-21-2010, 05:56 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Oh, and don't make the mistake of getting Hydrogen peroxide....while it certainly WILL clean and kill anything on your gear, it could also lighten the color of it. As in, if you use red gloves, they could turn pink.

Old
05-21-2010, 06:00 PM
NomadFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
YEAH, the anti-bacterial febreeze still isn't that good. as sugested earlier, a bottle of alcohol is what ya need.It's typically only a dollar per bottle
Got it...I'm assuming it might have to do with the alcohol concentration? I tried to look for the active/inactive ingredients list for Febreze online, and apparently it's like a 5% alcohol concentration? If so this is the case, yikes.

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadFan View Post
Got it...I'm assuming it might have to do with the alcohol concentration? I tried to look for the active/inactive ingredients list for Febreze online, and apparently it's like a 5% alcohol concentration? If so this is the case, yikes.
I didn't know they had anti-bacterial Febreze, still wouldn't use it if it has only 5% alcohol.

Lysol anti-bacterial works well also by the way.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Pedagogue

I've heard of gloves being stinky. I haven't heard of the slime though. You may want to read this

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...=stinky+gloves

Pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote