HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Backbreaker Football

Old
05-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Cone

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cone
Backbreaker Football

Demo is out tomorrow at 9 PM Pacific on XBL apparently. A dev posted that so it's probably true, hopefully they're more reliable than the NHL developers.

I'm looking forward to this game with cautious optimism. I've always really hated EA and how lazy they are updating their games.

Madden has been all about animations. 1 guy tackles the other guy gets tackled, and only recently have they been sloppily implementing a half-assed gang tackle system named "protak" or some lame ****.

they're so ****ing lazy.

so natural motion, the creators of the euphoria engine, decided to make their own football game. the tackling at least is amazing. no animations, just the AI making decisions and the other AI's for the other player adapting in real time, simulation style. so one guy will dive at the ball carriers legs and trip him up and maybe the ball carrier will, in real time, decide to put his arm down to brace himself without going down or something like that. it's just really dynamic, cool, and miles ahead of those lame brains at EA.

i just worry if the actual football stuff is going to be good. sure EA also fixes problems in terrible ways. if the QBs are too accurate, instead of making QBs unwieldy which might turn the idiots off of the game who want to throw perfect lasers around the fields, the geniuses at EA decide that the problem with high completion percents is that the linebackers and dbs cant just 20 feet into the air and swat balls away. so while the people at natural motion are approximately 293723857235762384972308492780491274092 times smarter than the people who make madden, i just think it might take them at least another year to get a really good football simulation. and backbreaker 2 apparently is going to happen, so that's good news even if the first one has its problems.

it's out on june 1st.

i hate EA sports.

except the guys who make fifa.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 03:47 AM
MikeyMike01
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01 Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01
It's probably going to be an amazing engine wasted in a bad game.

I'd love to be wrong.

MikeyMike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 10:01 AM
jeanlucgrandpierre
Buffalo Sabres Fan

It was up this morning and I played it for a minute. Not much to the demo, just shows you the physics and quick controls.

It was cool for something different I guess, but they won't make it anywhere without an NFL license. Half the selling point is playing with your favorite players.

jeanlucgrandpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 06:03 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Just played a few minutes of the demo, the controls will definitely take some getting used to, but I like the general feel and idea behind it, so i'll give it a chance.

I'll probably play the demo more this weekend and have more of a good grasp on the game and it's controls but so far seems to be pretty much the anti-madden that I was expecting.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 02:43 AM
MikeyMike01
Hurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
I'd love to be wrong.
I wasn't.

The camera angle is terrible, the controls are unusable, and the players look like clay.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Le Tricolore
J-E-T-S!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
I wasn't.

The camera angle is terrible, the controls are unusable, and the players look like clay.
Yep. I suppose the physics are good in that.. it kind of looks cool when people are hit, but that's about it.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
With a decent camera i can get over look the horrible player models.. but yeah its not a good game at all

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
Really don't think there is anything wrong with the camera angles. You actually have a blind spot as much as a real qb would. The view angle in madden is one of the reasons it sucks. you can go spread and basically watch all of your routes progress and then just throw it to the receiver perfectly regardless if you're looking in that direction.

Once you've established such a ******** system you're doomed. You have to balance a game that already has deficient AI and physics around the player being able to play like god. This means that linebackers end up deflecting tons of passes, something that rarely happens in real football, you end up giving defensive backs double the vertical leap of any real player and just all around ******** like that.

The camera angles are really realistic, I think everybody just likes to sit back and be able to look over the formations and feel like the actually know how to read the defense.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Dan Barr

Yeah, I played the demo and I thought it was awesome.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 05:06 PM
MikeyMike01
Hurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone View Post
Really don't think there is anything wrong with the camera angles. You actually have a blind spot as much as a real qb would. The view angle in madden is one of the reasons it sucks. you can go spread and basically watch all of your routes progress and then just throw it to the receiver perfectly regardless if you're looking in that direction.

Once you've established such a ******** system you're doomed. You have to balance a game that already has deficient AI and physics around the player being able to play like god. This means that linebackers end up deflecting tons of passes, something that rarely happens in real football, you end up giving defensive backs double the vertical leap of any real player and just all around ******** like that.

The camera angles are really realistic, I think everybody just likes to sit back and be able to look over the formations and feel like the actually know how to read the defense.
I'm not disagreeing with the basic principle.

The implementation is awful.

The pace of the game demands instant decisions, and the camera angle and controls don't allow it. It's unplayable.

Last edited by MikeyMike01: 05-23-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old
05-24-2010, 12:56 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Played this demo a bunch more over the weekend and once I was able to wrap my head around the camera angle, it's a lot of fun. It's definitely geared to favor offensive football, as i've found playing any sort of coverage is pretty difficult, but i'll definitely be buying it once it comes out. I don't dislike the camera angle at all, it just took a lot of getting used to after playing as much Madden as I have.

Tackle Alley is a load of fun too.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote