HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Television ratings around the world

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2010, 07:09 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
It's the Toronto Sun... I doubt any of their writers have even gone to journalism school.
As a journalist, I usually favour reading articles from those who did not....

Still, the gist of your post is well received just the same .

Old
05-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Talus

This is not as bad as the kook from Pravda saying the Russian hockey team was drugged at Vancouver.

Old
05-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
It's the Toronto Sun... I doubt any of their writers have even gone to journalism school.
So no matter the continent, a newspaper that has "sun" in it still sucks?

Old
05-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Oyabun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post
Hehe. "Wrong side of the road."

I figured Canadas part in the British commonwealth was mostly by tradition and that you guys had adopted the same traffic rules as everybody else.. guess I was wrong. Are you guys still on imperial measurements as well?
Perhaps it's the commonwealth that has done wonders for Canadian "journalism" as well.
The article could've been written by an Englishman, just swap hockey for football and throw a few other things around and there you have it.

Steve Macfarlane could've saved himself some time and just written "Waah wahh, no fair" instead of using all those big words

Old
05-21-2010, 07:35 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
Actually I expect Cricket to have more total fans in the world than Hockey does.
Yeah, almost all former British colonies in Africa and Asia are very big on Cricket. They definately have way more fans internationally than hockey does. Even in Canada cricket is taking off as we get more Indian, white Zimbabwean and white South African's arriving in the country.

Old
05-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Talus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
LOL, Canada loses and voilą...
Maybe as a staff member you should keep you're personal views to you're self.

Old
05-21-2010, 08:22 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

The fact is it's not a best-on-best tournament. The Olympics and World Junior Championships/U-17/U-18 are.

Chad Ocho Cinco was the Canadians' back-up goalie... that about says it all right there.

Old
05-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
Many drive on the wrong side of the road.
How someone can embarrass themselves by writing crap like that is something I'll never understand.

I guess these people think they are smarter than TSN because every single year they pay for the broadcasting rights, send a crew over (I'm sure at great expense) and fill many hours of their schedule with the WC instead of dirt-cheap bass fishing shows, re-runs of SportsCentre and other canned content that would cost them next-to-nothing to broadcast. They should be listening to Sun reporters who think that some of the countries at the WC drive on the wrong side of the road.

Old
05-21-2010, 08:25 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
It's a joke of an article but shouldn't be taken seriously and just represents some nuthead, not the canadian people.
Thank you. Just an embarassing article all-around.

Old
05-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Rjinswand

Germany against Switzerland had 1.6 mil. viewers.
For comparison: The women Champions Leagues final started at about the same time and had 3.97 mil. viewers.
Have numbers from Canada or Russia for any match been published?

Last edited by Rjinswand: 05-21-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old
05-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Wham City

When the tournament was in Quebec City the Canada-Russia final averaged 947,000 and peaked at 1.4 million when Kovalchuk scored.

I'd wager the Canada-Russia quarterfinal yesterday averaged somewhere in the 200,000-400,000 range.

Old
05-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Canadian91

Ugh big out to the Toronto Sun. Honestly though, I think the only reason that this article was published, was because of all the Canada bashing that went on in Europe after the all-NA final in the Olympics..... in which case, I find this hillarious.

Old
05-21-2010, 10:52 AM
madmike77

It is a dumb article, but it's true that most Canadian hockey fans don't really care.

There are several rabid hockey fans in my office and not one of them has watched the Worlds this year - they've all watched every second of any NHL playoff game they can get though.

It's nice if Canada wins, but these days a lot of tbe best Canadian players who could go, don't go. I used to think it was unpatriotic - until Joe Nieuwendyk tore up his knee playing at the Worlds and missed a good chunk of the following regular NHL season (I'm a big Flames fan).

These days I'm happier if Flames players skip the tournament.

Old
05-21-2010, 10:56 AM
DeveinedPgBc

i like how when the russian OLYMPIC TEAM beats a canadian team of kids getting their first taste of top international hockey, it is the greatest victory ever!!!! but do they even mention the paid off refs that wouldn't even call a high elbow which was also interference?stay classy russian mob.lol your team doesn't win games, the mob does.

and yes, this article doesn't represent canadians, we will watch any hockey and do care about these tourny's, that's why my post started off so bitter

Old
05-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talus View Post
This is not as bad as the kook from Pravda saying the Russian hockey team was drugged at Vancouver.
Not strange. I heard that's the norm for guys like Kovalchcuk and his friends when playing with the national team.

Old
05-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
How someone can embarrass themselves by writing crap like that is something I'll never understand.

I guess these people think they are smarter than TSN because every single year they pay for the broadcasting rights, send a crew over (I'm sure at great expense) and fill many hours of their schedule with the WC instead of dirt-cheap bass fishing shows, re-runs of SportsCentre and other canned content that would cost them next-to-nothing to broadcast. They should be listening to Sun reporters who think that some of the countries at the WC drive on the wrong side of the road.
Maybe this guy is holding on to his British roots and still drives on the left side of the road? Many of the Britons are indeed annyoed with the driving habits of the ursupers on the contient.

Old
05-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Makarov View Post
I will never forget the tears in the canandian's faces after the WC' 08 final. Yo don't cry for something you don't care about it.

BTW, If Canada doesn't want to take part in international competitions, good riddance. We don't need its wrestlers.
"Canada" doesn't care about tournaments that mean nothing, however the IIHF will do everything to make sure that the best hockey nation at least participates, albeit with players who were on bad teams and who have nothing better to do.

I guess the Russian quitters and whiners can enjoy their moral victory now.

Old
05-21-2010, 11:17 AM
dre2112

Why are many people so buttsore that the US and Canada don't care about a "World" championship tournament that doesn't boast the best players in the world (including the European countries)?

We have our own little tournament here. It's an 82 game round-robin with a 4 round elimination series. It goes on for about 9 months, and at the end of it, a champion is crowned. The best players in the World participate in this event.

This tournament is not important to us. It never has been (except during the lockout and during the Cold War). We have our own thing going on here which we care more about a lot more. We are just as passionate and patriotic as you. We love international events, including the Olympics and WJC which we fully support and participate in.

Chalk it up to cultural differences and call it a day.

Get over it.

Old
05-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
Chad Ocho Cinco was the Canadians' back-up goalie... that about says it all right there.
And Ocho Stinko was the starter...which says even more

Old
05-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poro24 View Post
Some World Championships ratings from Finland (population 5 million):

Finland - Denmark 1,2 million
Finland - Germany 1,35 million

How are the ratings in Denmark and Norway now that they are playing good? Or are the games even televised there?
So how do these compare with the Olympics & World Cup? And with past years?

Old
05-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
Why are many people so buttsore that the US and Canada don't care about a "World" championship tournament that doesn't boast the best players in the world (including the European countries)?

We have our own little tournament here. It's an 82 game round-robin with a 4 round elimination series. It goes on for about 9 months, and at the end of it, a champion is crowned. The best players in the World participate in this event.

This tournament is not important to us. It never has been (except during the lockout and during the Cold War). We have our own thing going on here which we care more about a lot more. We are just as passionate and patriotic as you. We love international events, including the Olympics and WJC which we fully support and participate in.

Chalk it up to cultural differences and call it a day.

Get over it.
The only ones who need to get over something are those Canadians and Americans who start to whine about how this isn't a best-on-best tournament when their countries lose. (Not a slight against those who care about it or don't feel the need to whine)

The rest of the world couldn't care less how popular this tournament is in those two countries, they have better things to worry about, like actually watching hockey instead of whining.

It's never the Europeans who start this, it's always the Americans and Canadians. Funny how they care so little that they still feel the urge to talk about it and start a discussion all the time.

Here's a hint, if you aren't interested, fine, that's good for you. No need to go on one rant after another about something that you "don't care about".

Last edited by Sanderson: 05-21-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old
05-21-2010, 02:32 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post

We DON'T care that they don't care but still they spam EVERY thread about how much they don't care.

It's annoying.

Just let those who DO care discuss the tournament in peace.

Ratings for yesterdays's Germany - Switzerland game here in Germany: 1.600.000

At the same time as this game another channel showed the final of the Women's Champions league (soccer). That game had almost 4.000.000 viewers.

Shows just how much soccer dominates here in Germany.

Somehow missed Rjinswand post. Sorry.

Last edited by JVR: 05-21-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old
05-21-2010, 02:43 PM
QnebO

Lol, four million viewers of womens soccer. I just... holy ****..

In Finland i bet no one knows even one name of any Women soccer player. And i dont think its ever televisied.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Kameli

Well as Finland hosted womens European Championships last year I guess everyone here knows many names and Finnish tv showed all matches live so no need to downgrade womens game, soccer is just so dominant in Europe. Btw. Was a great event here last summer.

Old
05-21-2010, 03:04 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Agreed. Also, German women's soccer actually reached a very watchable level.

Imo women's socer is much closer in quality to men's soccer then women's hockey
to men's hockey.

Closed Thread