HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evgeny Skachkov signed to an ELC

Old
05-21-2010, 06:01 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Evgeny Skachkov signed to an ELC

Quote:
As reported by Sport Express, quoting his agent Vyacheslav Makhrensky, Russian forward Evgeny Skachkov has been signed by the St. Louis Blues to an Entry Level Contract.
http://www.russianhockeyfans.com/nhl...chkov-186.html

Russian source: http://news.sport-express.ru/2010-05-21/363108/

05-21-2010, 07:58 AM
mmitchell19

Interesting...

So...where does he fit, Blues fans? Does he have any of the finishing skills we're looking for? Size?

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 08:51 AM
schronote

I have read a few things noting he has good speed and a good shot but dont really know until we see him with NHL players. I see this as a move to push guys like Crombeen, Winchester, Mcclement, and others of that kind to be more aggressive offensively as well as responsible in their own zone. It seemed last year like our bottom 6 only scored of the rush and didnt have much offensive zone time. We could use a spark.

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Landeskog

these are he is career stats with the KHL and RSL
GP G A PTS PIMS
KHL: 105 36 32 68 199
RSL: 117 27 24 51 118

most likely ends back with the KHL before the season ends.

Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:43 AM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Holy **** we were able to actually sign a russian?

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Robb_K

I assume that he'll be at Camp, and compete for a position at Peoria. If he does poorly, he might go to Alaska.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I assume that he'll be at Camp, and compete for a position at Peoria. If he does poorly, he might go to Alaska.
Why waste his time if he's not gonna make it to the NHL? I'm sure he can get paid more in the KHL than he would here, unless he breaks out here. If he can't crack the NHL roster, he'll probably bolt back overseas.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 04:08 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dangles View Post
Why waste his time if he's not gonna make it to the NHL? I'm sure he can get paid more in the KHL than he would here, unless he breaks out here. If he can't crack the NHL roster, he'll probably bolt back overseas.
Exactly! Having him in Peoria is pointless. He'd be a distraction anyway. I agree with Dangler that if he can't make The Blues roster, then he should go back to Russia and try again next season. No big deal. We've waited this long...

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Exactly! Having him in Peoria is pointless. He'd be a distraction anyway. I agree with Dangler that if he can't make The Blues roster, then he should go back to Russia and try again next season. No big deal. We've waited this long...
"Pointless," eh?

Yeah, what with all those goals they scored with that high-powered offense they had in Peoria last year -- especially from the left wing -- I can see why having a guy who averages 0.30 goals per game (that's 24 goals in an 80-game season), in a league very comparable to the AHL, would be "pointless."

I think we're jumping to conclusions here, and assuming that this guy is going to bail at the first little bump in the road just because he's a Russian. He's played four years in the RSL/KHL, and been either the leading scorer, or among the scoring leaders, for his team (Traktor Chelyabinsk) in each of those years.

Guys like that don't book on Russia unless they've been getting the high hard one over there. Maybe Skachkov has been screwed around by Traktor, and he's tired of it, and wants to come over here now that he's a little older and more mature.

Who knows?

Point is, let's wait and see how he responds to whatever adversity is thrown his way, before we start assuming a lack of character and intestinal fortitude... this guy's already been over once for a Development Camp (2007, I think), so it's not like he has no idea where St. Louis is, or what's in store for him...

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 08:09 PM
execwrite

I think it's reasonable to question if he'll stick around given the recent history.

The Russian is coming? Uh - maybe.

The Russian is staying - doubtful.

execwrite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 08:21 PM
teddygmr

Point is, let's wait and see how he responds to whatever adversity is thrown his way, before we start assuming a lack of character and intestinal fortitude... this guy's already been over once for a Development Camp (2007, I think), so it's not like he has no idea where St. Louis is, or what's in store for him...

P_B[/QUOTE]

AGREED! With Tkachuk retiring, Kariya and Winchester UFA's, and Steen, Perron, DJ King, Janssen and D'Agostini all RFA's(doubtfull that they will ALL be back), seems like there is definitely an opening for a fast, skilled, fiesty (he had 143 pims along with his 22 goals in 51 games to lead his team)winger who is 6'1 195 pounds and is just entering his prime (born July 14/84).
Great work!
I read that Jarmo K is over at the World Championships....I'm sure he saw another 2003 pick and skilled goal scorer Juhamati Aaltonen! Hmmm......

teddygmr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 09:54 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
"Pointless," eh?

Yeah, what with all those goals they scored with that high-powered offense they had in Peoria last year -- especially from the left wing -- I can see why having a guy who averages 0.30 goals per game (that's 24 goals in an 80-game season), in a league very comparable to the AHL, would be "pointless."

I think we're jumping to conclusions here, and assuming that this guy is going to bail at the first little bump in the road just because he's a Russian. He's played four years in the RSL/KHL, and been either the leading scorer, or among the scoring leaders, for his team (Traktor Chelyabinsk) in each of those years.

Guys like that don't book on Russia unless they've been getting the high hard one over there. Maybe Skachkov has been screwed around by Traktor, and he's tired of it, and wants to come over here now that he's a little older and more mature.

Who knows?

P_B
Thanx Dad.

Seriously, though, if he has no problem spending some time on the farm, then that's awesome.

But, to be more clear, I think it is pointless to expect him to play in Peoria.

Old
05-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Thanx Dad.

Seriously, though, if he has no problem spending some time on the farm, then that's awesome.

But, to be more clear, I think it is pointless to expect him to play in Peoria.
OK, I'll buy that... I agree (sort of) with you and exec that, based on recent history, it's reasonable to question wether or not he'll stay... but I don't think it's reasonable to expect that he won't if he gets assigned to P-Town.

By the way, here's a link to the latest on Skachkov at "St. Louis Game Time," complete with photos...

http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2010/...ly-sign-evgeny

Old
05-21-2010, 10:26 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Maybe its the angles or the more one size fits all practice jerseys being a bit baggy but he looks like he's built like a T-72.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Maybe its the angles or the more one size fits all practice jerseys being a bit baggy but he looks like he's built like a T-72.
Yeah, he sort of reminds me of Vladimir Krutov... old-timers like myself might remember him...

P_B

Old
05-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
"Pointless," eh?

Who knows?

P_B
I agree. We can't be too pessimistic. Hell the guy just signed a contract with us. Might as well give him a chance. Whats the worst that could happen...Nothing IMO. He could even contribute in Peoria, assuming he wants a full year to crack the NHL.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 11:45 AM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Yeah, he looked very big at prospect camp a couple years ago. (Speaking of which, will that still go on this summer?)

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Axis View Post
Yeah, he looked very big at prospect camp a couple years ago. (Speaking of which, will that still go on this summer?)
Doesn't sound like it.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Joppy

vCash: 1514
From this interview it doesn't sound like he wants to play in Peoria.

http://khl-news.com/skachkov-i-want-...in-every-game/

Quote:
What will happen if they would send you to the AHL?

No, to AHL no! Then it is better to play in Russia. Only NHL or KHL, I don’t think about other possibilities at all.

Joppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 10:03 AM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppy View Post

Well, that answers that. St. Louis or nyet.

execwrite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 10:38 AM
ChicagoBlues

Fine by me are his Intentions. I approve, so everyone may now proceed.

Old
05-23-2010, 01:14 PM
fan in oregon

i dont know if he will make the blues but i think this has something with the new agreement between the khl and the nhl. i think you will see more russians coming back over here. another player the blues might take a flyer on is barulin. i heard a pretty good goalie.

fan in oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppy View Post

You do know that interview is almost a year old, right?

Any possibiity he's changed his mind since then?

Old
05-23-2010, 08:02 PM
oPlaiD

Quote:
You do know that interview is almost a year old, right?

Any possibiity he's changed his mind since then?
Why would he ever play in the AHL? He's a year older now, so it's even less likely he'd change his mind. He's established himself as a first line player in the KHL and leader of his team. He's not young, he's entering his prime, he's probably about as good of a player as he'll ever be. He doesn't have anything to gain by playing in the AHL since he's already fully developed as a player.

Ok, yeah, he has to get used to the North American sized ice. Big deal. He's clearly already more physical than most Russian players, if you look at his build and his PIMs, so that probably isn't too much of a worry.

Either way, there is little motivation for him to play in the AHL. He's already a top performer and leader of his team in the KHL, gets paid comfortably there, and enjoys living in Russia. I'm sure he'd jump at a spot on the NHL team if he earns one, but he's already had his years of developing and the AHL probably shouldn't be on his radar, now. Either he's already good enough for the NHL, or he'll play the rest of his career in Russia.

If he comes here and is good enough to make the team, great. If not, it's not a big loss. It's not like the Blues are really counting on any contributions from him.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:26 PM
ibleedblue8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPlaiD View Post
Why would he ever play in the AHL? He's a year older now, so it's even less likely he'd change his mind. He's established himself as a first line player in the KHL and leader of his team. He's not young, he's entering his prime, he's probably about as good of a player as he'll ever be. He doesn't have anything to gain by playing in the AHL since he's already fully developed as a player.

Ok, yeah, he has to get used to the North American sized ice. Big deal. He's clearly already more physical than most Russian players, if you look at his build and his PIMs, so that probably isn't too much of a worry.

Either way, there is little motivation for him to play in the AHL. He's already a top performer and leader of his team in the KHL, gets paid comfortably there, and enjoys living in Russia. I'm sure he'd jump at a spot on the NHL team if he earns one, but he's already had his years of developing and the AHL probably shouldn't be on his radar, now. Either he's already good enough for the NHL, or he'll play the rest of his career in Russia.

If he comes here and is good enough to make the team, great. If not, it's not a big loss. It's not like the Blues are really counting on any contributions from him.
If he comes over and plays in the AHL it gives him stabiltiy for his future. The KHL is not a stable league at all. It could collapse in the next few years and he could be out of a job. The league has short term benifits to players but nothing long term. Skachkov is 26, he has plenty of good hockey left in him. If comes over now, at 26 it gives him a better shot at establishing a reputation in North America, then it would later in his career. The NHL is the best hockey league in the world. Maybe playing a year in the AHL for a shot at an NHL career seems appealing to him. I may be wrong, but people need to stop thinking he is not going to play in Peoria if he is asked to. He may not want to, but it may be the best for the long term. He may now realize this.

ibleedblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote