HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick balancing point

Old
05-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

vCash: 500
Stick balancing point

I've heard the term "well-balanced stick" a few times. Where should the center balance be on a stick (essentially where if you held it up with a finger along the shaft)?

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Hrad

I'm pretty sure that by "balanced stick" people are reffering to how it feels when you play with it.

You also hear blade heavy/light a lot, as in the blade feels too light or heavy and it's just uncomfortable.

It's hard to explain, but it's basically how good a stick feels when playing with it. So a heavier yet better-balanced stick can feel lighter than a stick that weighs less grams...If you know what I mean.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Scotty94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
I'm pretty sure that by "balanced stick" people are reffering to how it feels when you play with it.

You also hear blade heavy/light a lot, as in the blade feels too light or heavy and it's just uncomfortable.

It's hard to explain, but it's basically how good a stick feels when playing with it. So a heavier yet better-balanced stick can feel lighter than a stick that weighs less grams...If you know what I mean.
Exactly. When I'm feeling for the balance of a stick (without being on the rink), I'll simply hold the stick normally, perhaps with my lower hand a bit lower than it would be for typical stickhandling. Make some general "air moves" with it and hold it a bit. If it feels as if there's a bit of unevenness and there is more weight concentrated towards the blade end, it is a varying degree of blade-heavy. If it feels very light towards the blade and perhaps TOO light, then it is blade-light. I actually prefer a blade-light stick and will add wood plugs to the end of composite sticks or OPS to balance them better, as well as for the fact that I like to shape my handles with a sander.

Hrad is correct that you can have a stick that weighs more overall, but feels better balanced.

Scotty94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Hockeyfan68

Yep one man's balance is different than anothers. Whatever feels perfect to you I guess is balanced.

I like the blade to weigh more than some do so the blade and shaft are close in weight.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It differs because different people are different height. I know when HF68 held up his Harrow 300, it was right near the middle, but mine was about 3/4 the way down because I'm like 8" shorter than he is.

Typically if I have a really light shaft, it's going to be blade heavy no matter what. Using a really short hosel blade helps (reduces blade weight) and a wood plug can help counterbalance a bit. A medium weight shaft can use a heavier blade and still balance well.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Socastee09

what do you guys think of the composite stick ends, i mean i know they are lighter than wood but have any of you used them?

Socastee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 03:21 PM
jsykes

Easton has an interesting product coming out in the fall that addresses this specific issue. It will be standard on Easton sticks and available separately for any composite shaft.

It will be an end plug, that has removable weights in it so you can customize the weight of the plug at that end of the stick to give it the balance that you want.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That is interesting...wonder how it might affect feel in terms of vibration.

I typically don't use an end plug since I chop my sticks way down anyways, but usually a wood plug dampens vibrations a bit and improves balance better than composite. I have gone so far as to insert just the tenon of a wood plug in lieu of a cap on some sticks and to improve feel and balance a bit (not much though they're so light when they're short).

Old
05-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

another reason I ask other than feel is I noticed on both my sticks (different balancing points), if I put my bottom hand where the balancing point is on a slap shot, I seem to generate the most power. coincidental?

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Probably, yeah. The stick flexes most for me about halfway down, but balances about 3/4 the way down.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socastee09 View Post
what do you guys think of the composite stick ends, i mean i know they are lighter than wood but have any of you used them?
I have 2 fave sticks I use, one has a wood plug and the other is the hosel part of a broken composite blade that I sawed to fit as a buttend.

To tell you the truth I cannot tell the difference between the two.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote