HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Old
05-23-2010, 12:09 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
I don't know if anyone will agree with me, but im thinking of Niedermayer-esque skating when i watch him. Effortless. Great in the defensive zone, quick to join the rushes, taking some initiative. I would be surprised if he isn't playing in the NHL this fall. Im dead serious.
I think that he is a great skater, especially his switching between skating backwards and skating forward quickly and that he has a good shot of making the NHL right away.

I don't think he has nearly the first stride of Niedermayer a couple of years ago. But then ago I don't think nearly anyone has that.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Matte99

vCash: 500
Its funny how this guy went a bit under the radar but got picked very early (Gretsky wanted him) in last years draft. Looking at both the junior and senior worlds he certainly was a great pick. This kid will be golden in any team or league. While i love Erik Karlssons passing skills OEL is almost as good and add great scating and good defensive play to the mix. OEM and Karlsson will be the best swedish D's (perhaps together with Adam Larsson) in the NHL the coming 5 - 10 years.

Great player and congrats to Phoenix for picking him!

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:02 PM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
I don't know if anyone will agree with me, but im thinking of Niedermayer-esque skating when i watch him. Effortless. Great in the defensive zone, quick to join the rushes, taking some initiative. I would be surprised if he isn't playing in the NHL this fall. Im dead serious.
I think the only reason he might not make the Coyotes this year would be because of Tippett and his tendency of choosing vets over younger players.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post
Its funny how this guy went a bit under the radar but got picked very early (Gretsky wanted him) in last years draft. Looking at both the junior and senior worlds he certainly was a great pick. This kid will be golden in any team or league. While i love Erik Karlssons passing skills OEL is almost as good and add great scating and good defensive play to the mix. OEM and Karlsson will be the best swedish D's (perhaps together with Adam Larsson) in the NHL the coming 5 - 10 years.

Great player and congrats to Phoenix for picking him!
Gretzky didn't have anything to do with the pick. I know that didn't have much to withg your post. Sorry to nitpick.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 04:59 AM
Matte99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Gretzky didn't have anything to do with the pick. I know that didn't have much to withg your post. Sorry to nitpick.
I dont know Gretzky myself so if you do, ill trust you on that. The information itself comes from swedish media and interviews made after the draft. Nitpick or not, OEM was a great pick for Phoenix.

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 06:15 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post
I dont know Gretzky myself so if you do, ill trust you on that. The information itself comes from swedish media and interviews made after the draft. Nitpick or not, OEM was a great pick for Phoenix.
Gretzky had nothing to do with any of our hockey operations around that time. Maloney our GM sure loved him. He said he was glad he has an underwhelming U18 because he didn't know if he would be there by the time they picked.

Thanks again to all who posted.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
They'd be a very nice duo. Both are young and can take responsibility in both ends and skate well!
Isn't Lepistö a giveaway machine?

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Ribban

If OEL wants to go and isn't playing in Phoenix next year, they may as well shut that desert post down and move to Halifax.

Oliver has the tools to play in the NHL right now. He could use a little muscle and experience next to him to take some heat off of him. It's a long season with ups and downs for everybody, and as a rookie, new to most everything he will see in life, it's nice to have that veteran precense around.

He will be great. No doubt. The only question in my mind is if OEL would benefit from another year outside the NHL. The game and travel schedule is grueling and doesn't leave a lot of time for practice and perfection of his game, and playing games doesn't nearly develop your skills as much as practice does. He is still so young, and having another year with solid practice hours and a chance to mature a little bit more in general could make his initial experience a lot more positive and an awful experience for his opponents. Either way, he will be great.

Very exciting.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 05:16 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
Isn't Lepistö a giveaway machine?
No. Lepisto was pretty solid all season. A few notches below Michalek, but same game. Only problem with Lepisto is that he is indecisive when it comes to jumping into the play. Often times he will float in that gray area and not commit to either defending or pinching, and gets burned. He needs to grow a pair.

With OEL as his partner he wouldn't have to worry about that and could play more towards his own end.

Just don't put OEL with Jovo.

Last edited by XX: 05-24-2010 at 05:21 PM.
XX is offline   Reply With Quote