HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

College Prospect Awards

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2004, 09:05 AM
L.I.RangerFan

vCash: 500
College Prospect Awards

I was bored and going through some college websites and found some end of the year awards. Here is a list:

http://www.unhwildcats.com/hockeym/20032004/041704.html

Quote:
Senior forward Nathan Martz (Chilliwack, B.C.) took home the Warren Brown Award, going to the best defensive forward on the Wildcats' roster. Martz played in 30 games this season and registered five goals and 21 assists for 26 points, including scoring a point in his first nine games of the season.
Quote:
Senior defenseman Thomas Pock of the University of Massachusetts was voted the recipient of the Terry Morton Award as the most worthy opponent.

http://ohiostatebuckeyes.collegespor...050304aaa.html

Quote:
Sophomore alternate captain Nate Guenin (Aliquippa, Pa.) received the Center Ice Club Scholar-Athlete Award. He was named to the CCHA All-Academic Team by the league's faculty representatives, the only non-senior and non-forward named to the team. Guenin, who was limited to 29 games because of injury, had a career-best 17 points, including 15 assists. He was a CCHA Defensive Player of the Week honoree during the season and was named to the Everblades College Classic All-Tournament Team, as well as earning honorable mention All-CCHA accolades.
http://und.collegesports.com/sports/...043004aaa.html

Quote:
The team's most improved player honors went to sophomore left wing Mike Walsh (Northville, Mich.) and freshman center Jason Paige (Saginaw, Mich.). Walsh bounced back from an injury-plagued freshman season in 2002-03 when he scored just a goal and an assist for two points in 23 games to finish third in scoring last season with 12 goals and 13 assists for 25 points while leading the team with a +16. He also chipped in four game-winning goals on the year.
http://athletics.dartmouth.edu/sport...040504aaa.html

Quote:
Dartmouth men's hockey coach Bob Gaudet has announced the squad's annual awards. Junior forward Lee Stempniak (West Seneca, N.Y.) was named the team captain for the 2004-05 season along with being presented as a co-recipient of the Friends of Men's Hockey Award. Stempniak and sophomore Hugh Jessiman (Darien, Conn.) finished the year as the team's two leading scorers to wrap up the award. Stempniak notched 38 points (16g, 22a) while Jessiman had 33 (16g, 17a).

Stempniak and Jessiman both garnered All-Ivy and All-ECAC honors. Stempniak was named First Team and Jessiman was Second Team for both
http://mgoblue.com/document_display....ument_id=14678

Quote:
Junior forward Dwight Helminen (Brighton, Mich.) won the Howard Colby Trophy awarded for sportsmanship. Voted the CCHA's Best Defensive Forward in 2003-04, Helminen was second on the team with 17 goals and had 11 assists. He was only whistled for two penalties in 41 games, both of which occured in the same contest.

Old
05-13-2004, 09:09 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*

Now if those awards translate into NHL success, I'll be happy. Did John Madden win the best defensive award in college? If so, Im more excited bout Dwight Helminen then ever.

Old
05-13-2004, 09:12 AM
allrevvedup25

Thanks L.I. RAngerfan, good reading!!

Old
05-13-2004, 09:17 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Now if those awards translate into NHL success, I'll be happy. Did John Madden win the best defensive award in college? If so, Im more excited bout Dwight Helminen then ever.
The other point that got me with Helminen was that he only had 2 penalties in 41 games. That translates to 4 penalties over an 80 game season. Tells me he is a smart, controlled player, who uses his speed to defend, not clutching and grabbing.

Old
05-13-2004, 09:24 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
The other point that got me with Helminen was that he only had 2 penalties in 41 games. That translates to 4 penalties over an 80 game season. Tells me he is a smart, controlled player, who uses his speed to defend, not clutching and grabbing.
yea, and I think it also means that he works hard and is NOT lazy. I feel he is a future captain IMHO maybe a quiet captain like Ron Francis who leads by example. I wonder if he blocks shots like Ortmeyer did. I know they played on the same team in college, I wonder if they played as a pair on the PK. If so, our PK will be good in a few years.

Old
05-13-2004, 09:26 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Ortmeyer was the CCHA's best defensive forward last year, correct LIRfan? Very telling about what's important in the Wolverine system.

Great work as always dude!

Old
05-13-2004, 09:40 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Ortmeyer was the CCHA's best defensive forward last year, correct LIRfan? Very telling about what's important in the Wolverine system.

Great work as always dude!
From the Rangers official site

Quote:
2002-2003 NOTES
Ranked third on the University of Michigan in scoring, registering 18 goals and 16 assists for 34 points, along with 48 penalty minutes in 36 matches during his senior season ... Served as team captain ... Received numerous post-season awards, including the Hal Downes Trophy as the team’s most valuable player for the second consecutive season and a selection as the CCHA’s Best Defensive Forward, while helping the Wolverines reach the NCAA Frozen Four Semifinals ... Was also named to the NCAA Midwest Regional All-Tournament Team and captured the Bill Beagan Trophy as the most valuable player of the CCHA Super Six.
So, yes MJ, Jed was the defensive player of the year.

PS: Thanks and for correctness sake, it's dudette :lol

Old
05-13-2004, 09:50 AM
E-Train

Quote:
From the Rangers official site

So, yes MJ, Jed was the defensive player of the year.

dudette, great job with this and the prospect playoff thread

looking forward to Helminen's speed on the PK in a few years

Old
05-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:

Excuse the generalization.

Old
05-13-2004, 06:25 PM
charliemurphy

How far away does everyone think Helminen is from playing in the NHL?

Old
05-13-2004, 07:17 PM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
thanks for putting this together L.I.RangerFan. For a long distance Rangers fan like myself, I rely big time on a forum like this for news and views on our young guys. so this makes really interesting reading for me

Old
05-14-2004, 07:13 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemurphy
How far away does everyone think Helminen is from playing in the NHL?
IMHO, Helminen is about a year to a year and a half away. Let him finish his college career under the best college coach, Red Berenson, who prepares his players for the pro's. Their team should go to the college playoff's and probably the Frozen Four Tourney.

After he finishes his college career, let him get a few games in at Hartford, whether at the end of the season or beginning of next and go from there. If he is ready, which I believe he will be, then bring him up, ala Ortmeyer. Remember, these college grad's are 23-25 years old, so they are more mature then the kids coming out of junior.

Old
05-14-2004, 06:09 PM
charliemurphy

Agree.
It should be cool to see Ortmeyer and Helminen on a line.

Closed Thread