HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stastny vs. Duchene

View Poll Results: The Franchise!
Stastny 28 35.44%
Duchene 51 64.56%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-21-2010, 10:03 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 500
Stastny vs. Duchene

So, who is our franchise player? I saw this question pop in the Habs trade proposal and thought it was interesting. You could also pretty much take this as who is our no. 1 center now/future argument.

I'd say its Stastny. Duchene is more flashy (and a good player no doubt) but I enjoy watching Stastny play.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Starrlinx

Now: Stastny
Future: Duchene

Starrlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrlinx View Post
Now: Stastny
Future: Duchene

this

Skip2myBordyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 10:49 PM
NHL33*

Not sure what parameters to vote under. I view Stastny as the captain and slightly more rounded player, but Duchene as the player with more impact overall.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 10:57 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
I view Stastny as the captain and slightly more rounded player, but Duchene as the player with more impact overall.
Exactly! Tricky question no? Basically who is our Sakic and who is our Forsberg (minus the trade to Flyers etc. and all of that).

I see Stastny as our Sakic and Duchene as our Forsberg.

Disclaimer: I am not stating that Stastny and Duchene will be better or good as or worse than Sakic / Forsberg just comparing them to their predecessors.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:15 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

If push comes to shove, proven > unproven

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:47 PM
The Situation

Duchene, he's more of a game-breaker.

The Situation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 01:21 AM
shadow1

If forced to pick only one now, the answer is Paul Stastny. He may not be flashy, but he's everything you could want in a first line center. And at this point in time, he's a proven high end point producer and Duchene is not.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 01:31 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

Gotta go with Stastny on this one.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 06:45 AM
the_fan

neither

the_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 06:50 AM
the_fan

Duchene was a non factor in the playoffs and in the world games for Canada.

People will start saying that Duchene is young, only 19 or whatever, but there have been some 19 year old players that have dominated in the NHL and in any level they've played, and they can be called franchise players. I'm sorry but i have to say that neither Stastny or Duchene have franchise player potentials.

Old
05-22-2010, 06:51 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Duchene. Watch him grab this team by the collar next year.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 07:32 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post

People will start saying that Duchene is young, only 19 or whatever, but there have been some 19 year old players that have dominated in the NHL and in any level they've played, and they can be called franchise players. I'm sorry but i have to say that neither Stastny or Duchene have franchise player potentials.
I hope you are being somewhat sarcastic with this statement. Yes Duchene was not good against the Sharks, but he had no linemates his line was injured. Plus in the IIHF World Championshps he was probably team Canada's best player along with Whitney and Tavares.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 07:47 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:

Please tell me you are just trying to rustle feathers, because you are way off base in all of your comments.

First off, Duchene was banged up and playing with crap wingers in the playoffs, and possibly still hurt. Sure he didn't generate a ton, but the only one that really did was Galiardi, and even he faded in the last couple of games.

As for the Worlds...did you even watch any of Canada's games? Duchene was one of the teams top 2-3 forwards throughout the tournament, including averaging a point per game. He used his speed and generated good offensive chances, unlike in the playoffs.

No one has had anything bad to say about his game at the WHC, other than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I hope you are being somewhat sarcastic with this statement. Yes Duchene was not good against the Sharks, but he had no linemates his line was injured. Plus in the IIHF World Championshps he was probably team Canada's best player along with Whitney and Tavares.
Exactly.

Old
05-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
While Duchene does some things at a very high NHL level he still have a lot of things to learn. And I am confident that he, with his work ethic, will improve a lot of the things he needs to improve. I think it would be unfair to expect it to go faster.

Duchene will be a franchise player in 3 years time. Stastny is our franchise player at the moment.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 08:53 AM
the_fan

[QUOTE=Renegade Stylings;25944459]
Quote:
Please tell me you are just trying to rustle feathers, because you are way off base in all of your comments.

First off, Duchene was banged up and playing with crap wingers in the playoffs, and possibly still hurt. Sure he didn't generate a ton, but the only one that really did was Galiardi, and even he faded in the last couple of games.

As for the Worlds...did you even watch any of Canada's games? Duchene was one of the teams top 2-3 forwards throughout the tournament, including averaging a point per game. He used his speed and generated good offensive chances, unlike in the playoffs.
Maybe Duchene is a late bloomer who knows, but lets see what he has done so far in his first year as a pro.

He had a good rookie season in the NHL, nothing very special. 55 points, good enough to earn him a Calder nomination. But he's not going to win the Calder because it looks like Myers will. He had poor playoffs, his real first test in big games, but i'll have to say he failed. Maybe injuries to Hejduk and Mueller hurt Duchene in the playoffs, but if you're a dominant player you should be able to contribute never the less, Duchene wasn't able to. And i watched few of the Canada's games in the world championship and i didn't see anything special from Duchene, but maybe you did. If Duchene was so good in the world games how come the announcers never brought up his name? I only heard Tavares and Stamkos.

I didn't see anything from Duchene that showed he's a dominant player, a kind of dominant player that's capable of carrying a team on his shoulders like some fans here think he'll do. But like i said, maybe he's a late bloomer, but that's just a maybe.

For now he just looks like a 60-70 point, just a little above average 2nd line center, but not a game breaker, a franchise player who is capable of being a true #1 center that's going to carry a team on his shoulders.

Old
05-22-2010, 09:04 AM
hughdreamz

Duchene has only been in the league for one year. He could go through the sophomore slump and this year's playoffs he was non-existent. Statsny, although very quiet, produces almost every night and he does the unnoticed work. Statsny is definitely the leader. But guys the problem with this poll is that the Avs need both of these guys for their careers. If both meet their potential(which Statsny and Duchene have so far) we need to keep both.

hughdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 09:17 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:

Maybe Duchene is a late bloomer who knows, but lets see what he has done so far in his first year as a pro.

He had a good rookie season in the NHL, nothing very special. 55 points, good enough to earn him a Calder nomination. But he's not going to win the Calder because it looks like Myers will. He had poor playoffs, his real first test in big games, but i'll have to say he failed. Maybe injuries to Hejduk and Mueller hurt Duchene in the playoffs, but if you're a dominant player you should be able to contribute never the less, Duchene wasn't able to. And i watched few of the Canada's games in the world championship and i didn't see anything special from Duchene, but maybe you did. If Duchene was so good in the world games how come the announcers never brought up his name? I only heard Tavares and Stamkos.

I didn't see anything from Duchene that showed he's a dominant player, a kind of dominant player that's capable of carrying a team on his shoulders like some fans here think he'll do. But like i said, maybe he's a late bloomer, but that's just a maybe.

For now he just looks like a 60-70 point, just a little above average 2nd line center, but not a game breaker, a franchise player who is capable of being a true #1 center that's going to carry a team on his shoulders.
- You're going to call him "a late bloomer" after one year? The kid is only 19....you know how many players make the NHL as an 18 year old, like 1-2 a year (on average), likely less than that actually.

- So, let me get this straight...you are writing him off as a "franchise" player because he didn't have a "great" showing in his first postseason experience against the top team in the Western Conference...a big, strong, powerhouse team?...ok.

- I watched every Team Canada game, and yes, Duchene was very noticeable. He really benefitted from playing on the big ice and used his speed to break through the neutral zone and create chances. He once again was a victim of being too fancy at times, but he is learning and you could tell. And what do you mean, "the commentators never mentioned him"?... that is proof that you didn't watch very much, because he was one of the top 2-3 players they constantly talked about along with JT, Stamkos and Whitney.

- And you really expect a 19 year old to be "dominant" and "carry a team on his shoulders"? Crosby and Ovechkin did it, but those type of players come once every 20, heck 30 or more years. I don't think anyone on here expects Duchene to be Crosby....but you can still be a franchise player without be among the world's elite. You are clearly holding him to too high of a standard, it's quite silly that you are doing so.

Old
05-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Starrlinx

Quote:

You want to say Duchene didn't have a very good playoffs? Fine. I happen to disagree but I can see how someone could say that.

But your statement about the his play for Canada could not be more wrong. Did you even watch the World Championships? I doubt it, otherwise you would've seen he and Tavares were Canada's best players.

Quote:
If he doesn't have 100 points in his rookie season he is a late bloomer?

Quote:
He had a good rookie season in the NHL, nothing very special. 55 points, good enough to earn him a Calder nomination. But he's not going to win the Calder because it looks like Myers will. He had poor playoffs, his real first test in big games, but i'll have to say he failed. Maybe injuries to Hejduk and Mueller hurt Duchene in the playoffs, but if you're a dominant player you should be able to contribute never the less, Duchene wasn't able to.

Since when did 54 points as a rookie become so unimpressive? Believe it or not that is a fairly common amount even for franchise players. Joe Sakic had 62 points his rookie season. Peter Forsberg 50, Jaromir Jagr 57. Okay, that was a different era you say. Fine, Jonathan Toews had 54 and Steven Stamkos had 46 in their respective season. Care to argue those two aren't franchise players?

Quote:
And i watched few of the Canada's games in the world championship and i didn't see anything special from Duchene, but maybe you did. If Duchene was so good in the world games how come the announcers never brought up his name? I only heard Tavares and Stamkos.
You clearly didn't watch anything then because the announcers gushed over Duchene and how bright his future is.

Quote:

So after scoring 55 points in his rookie season his ceiling is 5-15 more points? That's absolutely hysterical. Believe it or not most players are not fully developed at age 19. Shocking

Starrlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 09:38 AM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
- You're going to call him "a late bloomer" after one year? The kid is only 19....you know how many players make the NHL as an 18 year old, like 1-2 a year (on average), likely less than that actually.

- So, let me get this straight...you are writing him off as a "franchise" player because he didn't have a "great" showing in his first postseason experience against the top team in the Western Conference...a big, strong, powerhouse team?...ok.

- I watched every Team Canada game, and yes, Duchene was very noticeable. He really benefitted from playing on the big ice and used his speed to break through the neutral zone and create chances. He once again was a victim of being too fancy at times, but he is learning and you could tell. And what do you mean, "the commentators never mentioned him"?... that is proof that you didn't watch very much, because he was one of the top 2-3 players they constantly talked about along with JT, Stamkos and Whitney.

- And you really expect a 19 year old to be "dominant" and "carry a team on his shoulders"? Crosby and Ovechkin did it, but those type of players come once every 20, heck 30 or more years. I don't think anyone on here expects Duchene to be Crosby....but you can still be a franchise player without be among the world's elite. You are clearly holding him to too high of a standard, it's quite silly that you are doing so.
All i'm saying is i didn't see any signs of Duchene being a franchise player in his first year as a pro. I do realize he's only 19 years old, but this thread is asking who's a franchise player, Stastny or Duchene? Do either of them show any signs of being a franchise player? I mean honestly, it's one thing to hope another to be realistic. If Stastny and Duchene were almost certain to be franchise players, at least one of them or both would already have a 10 year contract with no trade clause.

Neither at this point can be considered as franchise players, that is all im saying. And my opinion is that they are both can be compared to Drury and Tanguay, once this two players had such good rookie years for the avs and seemed to be the future of the franchise ,but look where they are right now.

Stastny and Duchene aren't locked to be the face of this franchise like Sakic was. They both can be assets of trade in few years, just like Drury and Tanguay

Old
05-22-2010, 09:38 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrlinx View Post

You want to say Duchene didn't have a very good playoffs? Fine. I happen to disagree but I can see how someone could say that.

But your statement about the his play for Canada could not be more wrong. Did you even watch the World Championships? I doubt it, otherwise you would've seen he and Tavares were Canada's best players.

If he doesn't have 100 points in his rookie season he is a late bloomer?

Since when did 54 points as a rookie become so unimpressive? Believe it or not that is a fairly common amount even for franchise players. Joe Sakic had 62 points his rookie season. Peter Forsberg 50, Jaromir Jagr 57. Okay, that was a different era you say. Fine, Jonathan Toews had 54 and Steven Stamkos had 46 in their respective season. Care to argue those two aren't franchise players?

You clearly didn't watch anything then because the announcers gushed over Duchene and how bright his future is.

So after scoring 55 points in his rookie season his ceiling is 5-15 more points? That's absolutely hysterical. Believe it or not most players are not fully developed at age 19. Shocking
I still can't believe some of things that are coming out of this guys mouth...err...fingers. Like seriously?...Duchene won't get any better? Ok.

the fan may have the wildest opinions of anyone on this part of the board, avsboy included.

Old
05-22-2010, 10:24 AM
the_fan

So being realistic considers saying wild things? I guess i should just be as delusional as some people here. Honestly, how many people here thought Drury and Tanguay are franchise players?

I wasn't posting on this board when those two made the NHL, but i'm willing to bet most of you who were posting here thought Drury and Tanguay are the franchise players and would be in Denver forever

Old
05-22-2010, 10:30 AM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:

Sharks fan with bias: Marc-Edouard Vlasic handled Datsyuk quite well...IDK if Duchene's clutch or not but I'm just saying Vlasic is pretty good.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 10:30 AM
the_fan

In fact, this poll should be about which one will be dealt out of Denver first.

Stastny or Duchene

Old
05-22-2010, 10:38 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
So being realistic considers saying wild things? I guess i should just be as delusional as some people here. Honestly, how many people here thought Drury and Tanguay are franchise players?

I wasn't posting on this board when those two made the NHL, but i'm willing to bet most of you who were posting here thought Drury and Tanguay are the franchise players and would be in Denver forever
At that point we still had Sakic and Forsberg just entering their prime, Tanguay and Drury didn't "need" to be franchise players. I still think that Drury could've been one, or atleast the face of a team, had he stayed in Denver though. Trading him was the biggest mistake the Avs franchise has made.