HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov done in San Jose?

Old
05-21-2010, 11:45 PM
nbbyfan20

vCash: 500
Not thinking about he offseason yet, not until the Sharks are out. But I would think Price would be good or Ellis or Turco.

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:45 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Dan Ellis to SJ, he'd be great there IMO.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Oh for **** sakes. Career high of 57 points is all of a sudden worth one of the best young goaltenders as well as the Habs best forward prospect? Get real.
Ok, so we'll just offer sheet him. Sure, he's psyched to sit on the bench.

What would the Sharks need to add to get MaxPac, too?

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:54 PM
BillR10

vCash: 480
Next season greiss will be given the chance to start and for backup I see them looking to sign a veteran like toskala to a cheap 1 yr deal. But for the future I would say long term solution in net will be stalock.

BillR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Oh for **** sakes. Career high of 57 points is all of a sudden worth one of the best young goaltenders as well as the Habs best forward prospect? Get real.
I wont to this trade but price it's all about potentiel , and maxpac has nothing proven yet and he is projected to be a 3rd liner

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Ismellofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post

If you offer sheet him you'll have to overpay because Montreal would match any reasonable offer sheet, and then you won't have the extra money to spend on defence.

You'd have more luck getting the skilled but troubled Sergei Kostitsyn. He'd add cheap scoring depth to your lineup.
But I don't think Montreal considers Clowe at $3,6M anyway, not with the cap trouble they're in.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:58 PM
thrillermiller89

greiss is not a capable starter...get biron.....he has proven he can lead a mediocre philly team to the conference finals, whose to say he couldnt do that with sj, plus he'd be cheap

thrillermiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Tyler Myers

Quote:
scottyG?

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Bunter McVirtanen

Schneider for Clowe

Bunter McVirtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Instead of crucifying Nabokov, how about Thornton, Heatly, and Setoguchi begin producing?

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
If Nabokov wants a similar contract let him walk. If he takes a serious cut, sign him to a 1 year deal ... if Greiss can take over by the deadline, trade Nabby.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 12:36 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:

Price+MaxPac
vs
Clowe+Harri Sateri

what u think about that?

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 12:50 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
Price+MaxPac
vs
Clowe+Harri Sateri

what u think about that?
Sounds good to me. We have a slew of goalie prospects.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 12:55 AM
BIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoHo View Post
Schneider for Clowe
Van and SJ make bad trading partners imo.

BIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 01:03 AM
seanlinden

There's no way a team that has constantly finished at the top of the regular season is going to trust its goaltending to Thomas Greiss next year....and a lot of it has to do with Marleau. The way he's played in the 3rd round and during all of the regular season, I think you seriously have to consider keeping him on one of those frontloaded long term deals as opposed to losing him for nothing.

The way I see it is that they have 2 options -- they can go cheap and questionable in goal (Turco, Price, Ellis, Biron); and likely keep all of the Big6. The alternative is to go with a proven talent in goal, and sacrifice one of those guys in the process. One name that seems obvious to me is Tomas Vokoun. He's 32 years old, and has been nothing short of incredible since the lockout. His save percentage has never been below .919, and his goals against has never been above 2.68; despite playing on a pretty bad florida team. I believe he requested a trade at the deadline too. If you're the Panthers, and have the ability to get one of Clowe/Pavelski/Setoguchi for Vokoun, I think you easily would be willing to include something like the 2nd round pick. Obviously he's expensive at $5.7million, but I think that he is without a doubt the best goalie who would be available this offseason. High end proven goaltenders like Miller, Lunqvist, Bryzgalov, Kipper, Hiller, Brodeur, Ward, Luongo, Brodeur aren't available, and I'd put Vokoun into that group, although to be fair I'd put Nabokov there too despite the fact that he hasn't been able to get it done in the playoffs.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 02:22 AM
doglover8891
rajinikanthfan1

here are the options for san jose if they dont want nabokov

Marty Turco
Jose Theodore
Vesa Toskala
Chris Mason
Dan Ellis
Ray Emery
Martin Biron
Peter Budaj
Johan Hedberg
Patrick Lalime
Alex Auld
Stephen Valiquette
Michael Leighton
Curtis Sanford
Antero Niittymaki
Yann Danis
Andrew Raycroft
Dany Sabourin
Scott Munroe
Joey MacDonald

i would personally sign auld cause hes my favorite but out of seriousness i would sign turco or trade for vokoun

doglover8891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 02:49 AM
Flyboy34

I think it'll be Turco, to me he makes the most sense. I see him as having the biggest impact among those players named. Turco is typically a consistent goaltender and he can relieve some of the pressure on the defense with his puckhandling abilities. I know this past season was tough for him, but the Dallas is undergoing a rebuilding phase and you could tell by the number of young kids in the lineup.

Nabokov and Turco make similar money, but after the season Turco had I could see San Jose signing him on the cheap. Perhaps a two year deal worth 3.5 - 4.0mil per year. I believe Turco can be a better leader than Nabokov, who at times looks mentally lost on the ice. Nabokov just can't come up with the big stop out there and it looks like the team in front of him has lost all confidence.

Flyboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 02:49 AM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
He brings grit, toughness, good play in all zones, good in the playoffs, and is good physically, not afraid to drop the gloves, and fights well.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 02:52 AM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
There's no way a team that has constantly finished at the top of the regular season is going to trust its goaltending to Thomas Greiss next year....and a lot of it has to do with Marleau. The way he's played in the 3rd round and during all of the regular season, I think you seriously have to consider keeping him on one of those frontloaded long term deals as opposed to losing him for nothing.

The way I see it is that they have 2 options -- they can go cheap and questionable in goal (Turco, Price, Ellis, Biron); and likely keep all of the Big6. The alternative is to go with a proven talent in goal, and sacrifice one of those guys in the process. One name that seems obvious to me is Tomas Vokoun. He's 32 years old, and has been nothing short of incredible since the lockout. His save percentage has never been below .919, and his goals against has never been above 2.68; despite playing on a pretty bad florida team. I believe he requested a trade at the deadline too. If you're the Panthers, and have the ability to get one of Clowe/Pavelski/Setoguchi for Vokoun, I think you easily would be willing to include something like the 2nd round pick. Obviously he's expensive at $5.7million, but I think that he is without a doubt the best goalie who would be available this offseason. High end proven goaltenders like Miller, Lunqvist, Bryzgalov, Kipper, Hiller, Brodeur, Ward, Luongo, Brodeur aren't available, and I'd put Vokoun into that group, although to be fair I'd put Nabokov there too despite the fact that he hasn't been able to get it done in the playoffs.
Marleau in the first round=a 3 year old little girl

Marleau in the second round=pretty good, fed off thrornton a little.

Marleau in the third round=complete beast

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 02:55 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Please, god, get Vokoun to San Jose.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 03:00 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Instead of crucifying Nabokov, how about Thornton, Heatly, and Setoguchi begin producing?
Noones crucifying him but the consensus seems to be he's as good as gone.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 03:01 AM
tarlinian

Enough with the freaking goalie proposals. The only reasonable thing for the Sharks to do is either keep a "top tier" goalie, the best value for which you'll get by re-signing Nabby, or going with a cheap goalie, in which case their best option is a Greiss/Ellis tandem. Price, Pascal LeClaire, and their ilk would be idiotic acquisitions for the Sharks.

tarlinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 03:05 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:

Enjoy giving about a 1st 2nd and 3rd plus paying top dollar.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 04:38 AM
baydrake
gutless performance

I do think Nabokov is done in SJ.

I have no idea what Doug Wilson's assessment of everyone's play is, but even from the starting point of wanting to keep everyone, due to the salary cap, a few higher-paid guys have to leave. Blake will probably retire. Thornton is not the problem, Heatley will at least get one more chance since he has been playing hurt for 2.5 rounds now, and Boyle is exactly the kind of player SJ needs to lock down.

So who goes? Is it 23-yr-old Setoguchi or 25-yr-old Pavelski? Clowe because he's theoretically the easiest to replace given current Sharks prospects? Marleau because his contract would be the biggest? Or is it the goalie who is about to sign his last contract that isn't subject to the over-35 business?

I see SJ signing/trading for a borderline starter/backup for under 2M/yr and giving a few starts to Greiss and/or Stalock.

baydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:

Not a wise decision mate. It would cost you either a, first, second and third or two firsts, plus a large salary hit. In all likelihood Montreal management would target Demers, who I know San Jose has little interest in moving. Furthermore I suspect one of our less stellar would have to go back to add Clowe; probably Spacek, who is UFA after next season.

Now I heard rumors Setoguchi is a possible trade bait in San Jose. Donning my Sharks cap, I believe trading him is insanity, however donning my Habs cap, I would offer nigh anything on the roster to pick up that kid. Actually the only two I that would be untradeable would be Cammalleri and Markov. Granted I would even consider Markov.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote