HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potential Oiler Acquisitions - Part 2: Goaltenders

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2004, 01:28 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Potential Oiler Acquisitions - Part 2: Goaltenders

I do this for my Canucks every year, but I thought I'd do some for the Oilers just for fun. Not all these guys I'm saying Lowe ought to pick up right now, but these are the guys I'd like to see Lowe look at to possibly improve the team in the off-season.

Goaltenders

Mika Noronen
HT: 6'2 WT: 196
Glove: R
NHL Seasons: 3

Season Totals: 2003-04 ... 35 GP, 11 W, .906 Save %, 2.57 GAA

Noronen is a mature goaltender for his age, and has great poise for a 24 year old goaltender. This leads one to believe he's probobly best suited to being a starting goaltender in the NHL. Problem is, Noronen has never asserted himself in Buffalo for a myriad of reasons. With Martin Biron slightly better than him so far, it might be a case of Noronen just needing to get out of Buffalo and get a chance elsewhere. With Ryan Miller coming up, there's no doubt the Sabres could afford to trade him. Still, I think the Sabres will want some decent value for him. And unfortunatly he's had enough bad games to make you question if he could really be a starter in this league. Still, he is awfully young and awfully cheap - hard to ignore that isn't it?

Pricetag : $550,000

----------------------

Mathieu Garon
HT: 6'2 WT: 192
Glove: L
NHL Seasons: 3

Season Totals: 2003-04... 19 GP, 8 W, .921 Save %, 2.27 GAA

Garon no doubt about it has starting goaltender potential, and could potentially be a franchise goaltender for a long time. Because of this, Garon would be an expensive acquisition via trade, but it might be worth the overpay. Garon is the kind of goaltender that can steal games on a semi-regular basis, and there aren't many goaltenders available who can do that. The only major downside to Garon is that he has only played 50 or more games twice in 6 years

Pricetag : $1,000,000

----------------------

Martin Gerber
HT: 6'0 WT: 185
NHL Seasons: 1

Season Totals: 2003-04 ... 32 GP, 11 W, .918 Save %, 2.26 GAA

Gerber had an amazing showing last season and became one of the elite backup goaltenders in the NHL almost overnight. He's very quick and has a hell of a glove hand, and by all accounts he's even got some leadership qualities in him. All of which sound amazing as a potential Oiler considering his pricetag too. With prospect Ilya Bryzgalov in the system and Jean-Sebastion Giguere as the frontman, the Ducks may end up moving Gerber. Hopefully Kevin Lowe puts in a call.

Pricetag : $500,000

----------------------

Ari Ahonen
HT: 6'1 WT: 195
NHL Seasons: 0

Season Totals: 2003-04 ... 50 GP, 13 W, .902 Save %, 2.99 GAA

Ahonen is a guy you ought not judge by his statistics - the Albany team is so bad, and by far the best player on it is Ari. Drafted in the 1st round in 1999, Ahonen has always maintained that 'franchise goaltender' potential. He's very very quick and athletic, and still very young at 23. His last AHL season saw him play a career high 50 games, so it looks like he can stand up to the rigors of a long season. Ahonen could be ready to start in the NHL next year, but in New Jersey, he'll never get the chance. With Brodeur still fairly young by goaltender standards, it's likely New Jersey will look to trade Ahonen one of these days. Hopefully the Oilers take a look at one of the most underrated prospects in the world.

Pricetag : Not positive, but I know he's on a two-way contract.

----------------------

Sean Burke
HT: 6'4 WT: 211
NHL Seasons: 15

Season Totals: 2003-04 ... 47 GP, 16 W, .909 Save %, 2.72 GAA

Sean Burke is the only really old guy here, and some may scoff at his age and potential salary (I'm guessing around $2.5 million) and say no way. However, I think getting a veteran keeper might be a heck of an idea, even if he is only around for a year or two. Why? Burke is a very big goaltender who can carry a team for long stretches of the season #1, and not many available goaltenders in this league can do that. But #2, Burke is well known as being a hell of a team leader. And leadership is something I think the Oilers could certainly use, especially with talk that Jason Smith might not be back. Burke was effectivly the captain of the Phoenix Coyotes when he was there, and he is the kind of lockerroom presence that the players want to play for, and win for. Burke may not bring the team into glory 5 - 10 years down the road, but he could start the upswing by pushing the Oilers into the playoffs for a couple of years, and maybe even help along a young goaltender to carry on after him (who this would be, I don't know).

Pricetag : UFA next season.. my estimate would be $2.0 - 2.5 million dollars a year.

----------------------

Last edited by Mizral: 05-14-2004 at 01:40 PM.
Old
05-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Bohologo

The implicit message here is that the Oilers don't have adequate goaltending right now, and this is a prescription to cure what plagues them.

All teams are imperfect and could use some improvement in some way; I will wait and see how the Conkanen entity works out before declaring wholesale change is necessary.

Old
05-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Digger12

The only guy I'd have any passing interest in would be Ahonen, and that's more to due with his relative youth than anything.

The rest doesn't look like much of an upgrade over what we currently have. This topic would've caught my attention more last summer.

Old
05-14-2004, 02:12 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I don't think we urgently need to improve out goaltending, but if one of Gerber or Garon were available, I'd definately expect Kevin Lowe to put some serious thought into aquiring him

Old
05-14-2004, 02:18 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I like Garon, but I am conforatble with Conks and Jussi. I would prefer to wait as there are a lot of young capable goaltenders in the league and until we know if conkkanen will pan out I see know reason to move on one of them as they will still be around come December. Besides likely all this is moot and Root of all Evil Bob G has said it is 90% + likely that there won't be hockey next year.

Old
05-14-2004, 02:26 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Can we please leave ahonen off the list?

If we are talking about a starting goaltender who might be able to get us into the playoffs, Ahonen is just about the last guy I want on my team.

Old
05-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Can we please leave ahonen off the list?

If we are talking about a starting goaltender who might be able to get us into the playoffs, Ahonen is just about the last guy I want on my team.
Agreed.. the only guy on that list that I see as being an upgrade over who we have right now is Burke. I personally don't think Sean Burke is a good fit for this team and I'd rather have a younger goaltender "grow" with our core of players. I still think we should go with Conkkanen for the start of the season and see how that goes. Conklin and Markkanen have just as good a chance of becoming next seasons Kiprusoff as Noronen and Garon do.

Old
05-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Dangerdanger

I too think goaltending is the last of our concerns right now, well, maybe not the last, but its low on the list for sure. These guys were nothing short of solid during the stretch run, I say we give them at least half a season. Yes, conklin played badly a few times, but every goalie does. I remember us lighting up Garon last year in montreal for at least 4 goals, and they were quick too.

Old
05-14-2004, 03:35 PM
serum114

Personally, I would love to see Lowe make a move for Ahonen before camp. Not to be the starter, but as a backup and potential #1.

I like what Conklin has shown AND I like Markanen. However, Ahonen is still IMO a franchise goalie who will have to clear waivers this season. I wouldn't be surprised if we could get him for Rita, or less. And I believe if we don't, we will end up regretting it.

A perfect situation IMO is a Conks/Ahonen tandem for 2-3 years until JDD is ready to replace one of them.

My 2 cents...

Old
05-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Asiaoil

Sure any of the guys listed by Mizral could be better than what we have - they could also be a lot worse. I'll give Jussi and Conks half a season to prove themselves - and if we have to make a move - that's when you do it. For now we have other fish to fry.

Old
05-14-2004, 04:15 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
Personally, I would love to see Lowe make a move for Ahonen before camp. Not to be the starter, but as a backup and potential #1.

I like what Conklin has shown AND I like Markanen. However, Ahonen is still IMO a franchise goalie who will have to clear waivers this season. I wouldn't be surprised if we could get him for Rita, or less. And I believe if we don't, we will end up regretting it.

A perfect situation IMO is a Conks/Ahonen tandem for 2-3 years until JDD is ready to replace one of them.

My 2 cents...
Actually I checked and because Ari signed his first contract when he was 20 and is a goalie he doesn't have to clear waivers till next year. Goalies get 1 more year of waiver free then forwards and d-men

Old
05-14-2004, 06:22 PM
YKOil

I like both Garon and Noronen above all the rest. BUT, I would still give the Conkannen tandem a chance to work before I made the trade. I would imagine that only one of those guys will move before the season starts which means that some will still be available.

YKOil

Old
05-14-2004, 08:28 PM
outKast*

1. Lundqvist

2. Noronen

3. Denis

4. Montoya/Dubnyk

5. Stick with what we have

Old
05-14-2004, 08:31 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
1. Lundqvist

2. Noronen
Did you watch any of Canada's games in the tourny? I know one game doesn't make a player but what makes you think either of these two would help us next year more than Markkanen or Conklin?

Old
05-14-2004, 11:40 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Did you watch any of Canada's games in the tourny? I know one game doesn't make a player but what makes you think either of these two would help us next year more than Markkanen or Conklin?
Nevermind that, why on earth would you go with Montoya/Dubnyk (or even put dubnyk in the same category as Montoya for that matter)?

Old
05-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Goil

Send a message via ICQ to Goil
There are many goalies who will be available in the off season besides that list. Hasek, Belfour, for sure. Perhapes Osgood, Lalime, Joseph, Cloutier and a host of others. If you can't get a proven starter, then Conkannen (awesome nickname BTW) should get the chance.

Closed Thread