HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The sad state of Swedish coaching

Old
05-24-2010, 06:56 PM
marty 4 hart*

vCash: 500
BÅG showed what an idiot he is when he took a time out whit one second left. He wanted to do something to swedish media, but didnt understand that the germans would be upset. And Germany didnt deserve that.

marty 4 hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Ribban

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post
I see where you are coming from and those are very legit worries about Mårts. He did a few good things as well, lets not be all negative. Mårts comes a cross as a philosopher and he is trying to turn the Swedish model upside down (Ego before team).

It was upsetting to see both the diving of Markström as the blatant attacks from the Canadian players. The leading player, Backlund, was totally over the edge and flipped early on to hand the initiative to the Canadians too. The team fell to pieces and couldn't handle the situation.

But lets not forget: Canadian hockey is very dirty and considered unsportsmanlike in Sweden. Also, Cormier seems to be psycho and one can only wonder who the h*ll gave him the C for their junior team. In Sweden we wouldn't support such behaviour because for us sports is sport. You play by the rules that defines the game and may the best team win.
You are right about me coming across too pessimistic.
Part of the negative tone is that I'm listing my concerns, but naturally you don't win WJC silvers unless you have qualities as well.

Here is my big downfall, I suppose. As far as Canadian Hockey is concerned, I will never for the life of me understand why it's considered "dirty"? I see them test the ref and the limit in every big game to establish what goes and doesn't go. If the refs aren't calling it, it's allowed. Why would you be ashamed of that? Why is that wrong? That's what a professional does. I think of it as, "if you don't ask the question, you won't find out."

I don't think the Swedes are that much different though. I do think they sometimes play "not to lose," especially in big games, so they assume they know what level the refs are going to let them play at to avoid getting penalties. If you want to do that, fine, but let's not get upset if it turns out that the assumptions were wrong. Make an adjustment and play to win. We only have 20x3 mins to get it done, so let's not waste time with stuff we can't control, and that's all on the coach to make sure everyone is focused on winning.

No matter what, I sure hope it's going to get better. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. BÅG had to juggle some stuff, and maybe hasn't gotten the money to keep track of the NHL guys, which might be Mårts problem too. Mårts will most likely have to deal with even more, a new Euro league, on top of KHL, and the NHL, so specualtions can be made for forever and then some about what will be and why. Time will tell.

Last edited by Ribban: 05-24-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote