HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver - Atlanta

Old
05-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Hi-wayman

vCash: 500
Vancouver - Atlanta

Trade proposal (simple)

To Atlanta: Steve Bernier
To Vancouver: Chris Schubert and Atlanta's 2011 second round pick

Bernier is a young, talented, top six power forward who is caught in the numbers game with the Canucks and has been forced to play a bottom six role. He brings size, offense (he was great in the playoffs) and likes to crash the net and set up screens.
Schubert is a decent third pairing or 7th defenseman, but would help bolster the Canucks penatly kill.

Alternate trade proposal (major)

To Atlanta: Michael Grabner, Shane O'Brien, Steve Bernier
To Vancouver: Chris Schubert, Atlanta's 2010 first round pick (8th overall)

Grabner, a top six sniper with great speed, is still a rookie, but has already achieved the skill level that a 8th overall pick is likely to have the potential to reach in 2 or 3 years down the road plus Grabner still has not reached his full potential. In the games he has played last season and in the playoffs, he has shown he is well suited to play RW with Kesler and Raymond. Unfortunately Grabner is also just caught in the numbers game in Vancouver fighting Burrows and Samuelsson for one of the two RW top six spots on the Canucks. Bernier and O'Brien bring additional scoring as well as size and grit. Grabner on RW would complement Kane on LW and allow Little to move back to centre where he really belongs. They would form a very quick skating and potentially high scoring line. Little is a great set up player and any opposition would be hard pressed to cover both Kane and Grabner at the same time.
With the 8th overall pick, the Canucks could draft a potential first pairing defenseman (Gudbranson, Fowler or Forbort) they could develop over the next 2 or 3 years to replace the loss of Bourdon. Whom ever they drafted though would not be NHL ready for next season so this would be a prospect depth draft pick. It would also make no sense to trade Grabner in order to draft a foward like Niederreiter as that would only be a sideways move to the Canucks at best.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 02:26 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Schubert is a UFA and I don't think we're signing him. He's all yours.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
Trade proposal (simple)

To Atlanta: Steve Bernier
To Vancouver: Chris Schubert and Atlanta's 2011 second round pick

Bernier is a young, talented, top six power forward who is caught in the numbers game with the Canucks and has been forced to play a bottom six role. He brings size, offense (he was great in the playoffs) and likes to crash the net and set up screens.
Schubert is a decent third pairing or 7th defenseman, but would help bolster the Canucks penatly kill.

Alternate trade proposal (major)

To Atlanta: Michael Grabner, Shane O'Brien, Steve Bernier
To Vancouver: Chris Schubert, Atlanta's 2010 first round pick (8th overall)

Grabner, a top six sniper with great speed, is still a rookie, but has already achieved the skill level that a 8th overall pick is likely to have the potential to reach in 2 or 3 years down the road plus Grabner still has not reached his full potential. In the games he has played last season and in the playoffs, he has shown he is well suited to play RW with Kesler and Raymond. Unfortunately Grabner is also just caught in the numbers game in Vancouver fighting Burrows and Samuelsson for one of the two RW top six spots on the Canucks. Bernier and O'Brien bring additional scoring as well as size and grit. Grabner on RW would complement Kane on LW and allow Little to move back to centre where he really belongs. They would form a very quick skating and potentially high scoring line. Little is a great set up player and any opposition would be hard pressed to cover both Kane and Grabner at the same time.
With the 8th overall pick, the Canucks could draft a potential first pairing defenseman (Gudbranson, Fowler or Forbort) they could develop over the next 2 or 3 years to replace the loss of Bourdon. Whom ever they drafted though would not be NHL ready for next season so this would be a prospect depth draft pick. It would also make no sense to trade Grabner in order to draft a foward like Niederreiter as that would only be a sideways move to the Canucks at best.
Schubert is a UFA. I'd sign him, he could be a good depth guy. I'd do either of those deals tho without Schubert.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Schubert is a UFA and I don't think we're signing him. He's all yours.
How was he for you guys?

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Bernier has serious buzz around him that he is a candidate for a buyout... i think if Vancouver doesnt end up eating the contract they will probably be happy

im sure he will end up playing again next year... but will be like Patrick Eaves was for the Bruins last year my guess.

getting a second back for him is dreaming big time but if you are a canuck fan you might as well dream for it. would be great for the team if it can happen

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 02:45 PM
aBurmistrov

No thanks to Bernier and Schubert is a UFA so you can sign him.

aBurmistrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 02:51 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

If Bernier was worth so much, he'd be a top 6. Especially in a city that doesn't have a team in the semi's.

NO THANKS. I'll keep Evander Kane, Bryan Little, and Rich Peverley as my up and coming 2nd line right now over a busted Bernier that has decreased in value from San Jose, Buffalo, and Vancouver.

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

I liked Schubert while he was here. Good waiver pick-up.

We are not going to re-sign him because we have a lot of depth at D now.

Thrashers94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 03:31 PM
2011Canucks

Better proposal for all of you.
Bernier+Schneider for David Backes

2011Canucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeto123 View Post
Better proposal for all of you.
Bernier+Schneider for David Backes
Where do I sign?

Old
05-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Horrorshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
Bernier has serious buzz around him that he is a candidate for a buyout...
uhh, what? Where are you hearing this? Alberta? Because thats certainly not the word in Vancouver. Sure, we'd like to move his salary to upgrade our D, but he's only $2m for next year, then RFA. No way this would be a buyout situation.

Horrorshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 05:28 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorshow View Post
uhh, what? Where are you hearing this? Alberta? Because thats certainly not the word in Vancouver. Sure, we'd like to move his salary to upgrade our D, but he's only $2m for next year, then RFA. No way this would be a buyout situation.
Steve Bernier would be snagged on waiver before being bought out.
What an odd accusation.
An affordable forward with size n some skill who would be available for no assests would be acquired by any team needing size upfront. N he can play all situations.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 06:46 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
I haven't heard of Bernier going anywhere. I doubt he moves.

Schubert is a candidate for UFA aquisition. He is too big for Gillis' taste, though.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Virtanev
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
If Bernier was worth so much, he'd be a top 6. Especially in a city that doesn't have a team in the semi's.

NO THANKS. I'll keep Evander Kane, Bryan Little, and Rich Peverley as my up and coming 2nd line right now over a busted Bernier that has decreased in value from San Jose, Buffalo, and Vancouver.
Vancouver was the 2 nd highest scoring team in the league this year, Bernier has potential to be a top 6 forward, on the Thrashers.

Virtanev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
How was he for you guys?
he was everything you could ask of a bottom pairing d-man until he was hurt. if we didn't have such ridiculous depth/number of prospects that need bottom pairing time i'd want to bring him back

whatever team gets him probably won't regret it.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Vancouver was the 2 nd highest scoring team in the league this year, Bernier has potential to be a top 6 forward, on the Thrashers.
The Thrashers had enough forward depth that Evander Kane didn't see any PP time last year. If Afinogenov comes back I don't really see the need for Bernier, the Thrashers would be better off to just use their 8th pick on Nino who will be cheaper.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
The Thrashers had enough forward depth that Evander Kane didn't see any PP time last year. If Afinogenov comes back I don't really see the need for Bernier, the Thrashers would be better off to just use their 8th pick on Nino who will be cheaper.
Bernier wasn't the key figure in the second deal, Grabner is. I think its fairly even, I think the 8th overall isn't going to have the same instant impact as what they can get for it will have. And I think Atlanta wants to get over the playoff hump sooner rather than later. It's possible they could get a better offer than that but I have no doubt that they will entertain offers for that pick, I think the pressure to win now is starting to build.

Old
05-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Bernier wasn't the key figure in the second deal, Grabner is. I think its fairly even, I think the 8th overall isn't going to have the same instant impact as what they can get for it will have. And I think Atlanta wants to get over the playoff hump sooner rather than later. It's possible they could get a better offer than that but I have no doubt that they will entertain offers for that pick, I think the pressure to win now is starting to build.
If Nino Neiderreiter is there at #8 he is probably a better player than Grabner. Let's compare their draft years in the WHL

.92 points per game Neiderreiter
.75 points per game Grabner

To be honest, Grabner's statistical profile in the WHL and AHL is really not all that impressive in terms of his scoring rates. At age 22 he's starting to get long in the tooth as a prospect. 95% of NHL scoring line players have a regular NHL job by the time they are 23 years old.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
If Nino Neiderreiter is there at #8 he is probably a better player than Grabner. Let's compare their draft years in the WHL

To be honest, Grabner's statistical profile in the WHL and AHL is really not all that impressive in terms of his scoring rates. At age 22 he's starting to get long in the tooth as a prospect. 95% of NHL scoring line players have a regular NHL job by the time they are 23 years old.
There is no way to say with any real accuracy who will be the better player just by looking at junior stats. If he's even there at #8, its entirely possible he could turn out to be the best player in the draft, but he could also bust by the time he's 22. Grabner is closer and a better bet to make an immediate impact, add Bernier who is decent and SOB who is steadily growing into a solid top 6 guy and you have a reasonable package.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:

this.....both Grabner and Bernier are rapidly approaching former prospect status. They have failed to live up to their hype and have not been able to grasp the opportunities they have been given. Atlanta would be foolish to give up a high pick in my opinion.... each of these players can be considered as potential sweetners in another deal but should not be primary pieces in any deal unless the risks are properly considered

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:40 AM
aBurmistrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
this.....both Grabner and Bernier are rapidly approaching former prospect status. They have failed to live up to their hype and have not been able to grasp the opportunities they have been given. Atlanta would be foolish to give up a high pick in my opinion.... each of these players can be considered as potential sweetners in another deal but should not be primary pieces in any deal unless the risks are properly considered
This.

aBurmistrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Virtanev
+

Quote:
What are you talking about? I'll agree Bernier's been a bust, but Grabner's been far from that, he's shown that he can handle top 6 minutes right now.

Old
05-23-2010, 02:04 AM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
What are you talking about? I'll agree Bernier's been a bust, but Grabner's been far from that, he's shown that he can handle top 6 minutes right now.
bull spit. 11 points in his first season in the NHL on the 2nd highest scoring team in the league proves nothing... 1 point in 9 playoff games ? he was handed a spot in the lineup the last 2 seasons and was sent down each time. his own coach in juniors questioned his toughness and his willingness to deal with physical play and his commitment to defense. how is that shown that he can handle top 6 minutes right now ? I'd say the jury is still out on Michael and making him the centerpiece for a top 10 pick is ridiculous. right now 90% of his game is speed and thats it..... lets see if it translates over a whole season and if he isnt a total sieve on defense before you annoint him...

When your own coach has doubts about you.....I'd say its only reasonable to to be a bit more cautious before saying a guy has proven anything... does he have skills yes, but thousands of busts have had skills too..... I seem to remember Filatov scoring a hat trick in like his 10th game.....was he proven too? Grabner had 3 of his 5 goals in one game against the Ducks. So unless you're playing the Ducks 82 times next year, I'd say the jury is still out

Last edited by Isles_Guy*: 05-23-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 02:07 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
bull spit. 11 points in his first season in the NHL on the 2nd highest scoring team in the league proves nothing... 1 point in 9 playoff games ? he was handed a spot in the lineup the last 2 seasons and was sent down each time. his own coach in juniors questioned his toughness and his willingness to deal with physical play and his commitment to defense. how is that shown that he can handle top 6 minutes right now ? I'd say the jury is still out on Michael and making him the centerpiece for a top 10 pick is ridiculous. right now 90% of his game is speed and thats it..... lets see if it translates over a whole season and if he isnt a total sieve on defense before you annoint him
LOL...a stat reader. If you watched him, you'd see the promise he showed.

Old
05-23-2010, 02:09 AM
Virtanev
+

Quote:
bull spit. 11 points in his first season in the NHL on the 2nd highest scoring team in the league proves nothing... 1 point in 9 playoff games ? he was handed a spot in the lineup the last 2 seasons and was sent down each time. his own coach in juniors questioned his toughness and his willingness to deal with physical play and his commitment to defense. how is that shown that he can handle top 6 minutes right now ? I'd say the jury is still out on Michael and making him the centerpiece for a top 10 pick is ridiculous. right now 90% of his game is speed and thats it..... lets see if it translates over a whole season and if he isnt a total sieve on defense before you annoint him
11 points in 20 games man, that's like a 50 point pace, while playing on the 3 rd line for most of the season! He will likely play on the Canucks 2 nd line next year, he is far from a bust.

Last edited by Virtanev: 05-23-2010 at 03:07 AM.