HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lose, series now 3-1 for the Flyers

Old
05-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxpin View Post
Yes, but you seem smart enough (as many here are) to know the difference.

It's more about forechecking puck pressure than a sit-back and clog up the neutral zone boring as hell trap game that John Stevens had them playing. (his wasn't a true trap, either, but was as equally a snooze-fest).
The Flyers were sitting back in the 3rd. They didn't have any shots until the period was more than half over and even those were created off of rushes from defensive zone turnovers.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 09:20 PM
ruxpin
Accidental User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
The Flyers were sitting back in the 3rd. They didn't have any shots until the period was more than half over and even those were created off of rushes from defensive zone turnovers.
Yeah, you're right. They were. But the Flyer penchant for sitting on a lead isn't necessarily a trap defense in a technical sense.

But yeah, enough that I needn't be all snobby to the other poster who said trap.

ruxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Darch

First game in the series with no "Olé, Olé, Olé..."

Darch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 09:38 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darch View Post
First game in the series with no "Olé, Olé, Olé..."
The sand everywhere kept people from rolling ole ole ole of their tongues

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 10:08 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Yeah well the league has changed. We can't buy championship material like the Yankees do and couldn't even without a cap due to the market. We can't land the major superstars like the Celtics and Lakers because there's no soft cap that allows for that flexibility and in the NBA one superstar can make all the difference when only 5 guys take the court, whereas a true team is needed in hockey. It's like the NFL in that you will go years between super bowl appearances, let alone victories. Not everyone can be Detroit, who by the way from 1966-90 were one of the league's doormats in a way Hab fans would never stand for. And where the **** do you get this "Dancing in the streets for finishing eighth and losing to Toronto"? Or where does Cole get that from, the senile old fool?

The fans were celebrating two of the decade's biggest upsets, not the fact the team had barely gotten in for a mediocre reg. season. 2008 was dumb, dumb as people went ape over winning a game 7 that didn't have to happen. This year people wanted to feel good about the Habs and did unlike some posters here who'd rather we all feel horrible and outraged that this franchise hasn't build a cup winner in 17 years. All the bandwagoners acting like they got ripped off for believing after the first 2 rounds are sickening. These same folks would whine and say "We didn't get it done and a Prince of Wales trophy doesn't console me. I am ashamed!" if we went to the finals and lost to the best team around.

These types can go **** off. There are posters who show up only when things go badly. Even I was naive enough to believe some of these people would lighten up thanks to playoff success. Nope, same old "I'm a fan, gimme gimme gimme" and "What have you done for me lately?" Now, I'm not pleased by our second-rate status but FFS if San Jose loses tomorrow, we survived longer than all but 2 of the teams in the league. Be proud with giant steps, even if there are fundamental problems needing correction. This board is a joke when this team loses. I used to be accused of pessimism back in 08 for saying the team lacked certain things to go far in the playoffs and I was right, but that team didn't have the heart of 2010.

It could've definitely taken the Flyers and not gone 7 with Boston if it didn't take the laissez-faire attitude of its beloved centrepiece Kovalev. So I am satisfied and will take constructive criticism going forward. People shouldn't be too hard or too forgiving though. You can't get too bothered after the upsets didn't last forever and you can't be satisfied with the team for the future until issues are properly addressed. Could they be neglected? Yeah it's possible. Is Martin not that inspiring or creative a coach? I would say yes. But we'll cross these bridges when we come to them.
Here Here

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Win lose or draw the club has done much better than anyone could've hoped. Beating the Caps and Pens is huge.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Teufelsdreck

Let's not be naive or self-deceiving enough to believe that the coaching was responsible for the 1-3 standings. Martin and his assistants have done far better than any Hab coach since Demers in 1993. Isn't it sobering that the Habs have suffered three shutouts in four games and have been outscored 5-13? I'ts time to concede that the Flyers are better despite Halak. Rationalizing the losses on the basis of the Habs' single win on home ice is totally unconvincing, so why bother? We can take back our concession if the Habs somehow win the series but we shouldn't have our hopes too high now that Carter and Laperrierre have returned.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Let's not be naive or self-deceiving enough to believe that the coaching was responsible for the 1-3 standings. Martin and his assistants have done far better than any Hab coach since Demers in 1993. Isn't it sobering that the Habs have suffered three shutouts in four games and have been outscored 5-13? I'ts time to concede that the Flyers are better despite Halak. Rationalizing the losses on the basis of the Habs' single win on home ice is totally unconvincing, so why bother? We can take back our concession if the Habs somehow win the series but we shouldn't have our hopes too high now that Carter and Laperrierre have returned.
Look at it this way...

I'd rather be down 3-1 against the Flyers than the Caps.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 11:04 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Look at it this way...

I'd rather be down 3-1 against the Flyers than the Caps.
I'd rather lose to the Flyers than Bruins That would be agonizing to see Boston playing in the finals after beating Montreal.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:11 PM
MayorFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I'd rather lose to the Flyers than Bruins That would be agonizing to see Boston playing in the finals after beating Montreal.
theres no way we'd have lost to the bruins

seriously though, whats most dissapointing is a chance like this might not come back for 5 years. with parity you never know if your comming back to the ECF in the near future. we just took out the 2 best teams in the east and we're about to have our season ended by the 7th seed without even putting up a fight.

MayorFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Dean Ambrose
I AM A MERCENARY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I don't think we would've lost to the Bruins.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 11:26 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 8 View Post
I don't think we would've lost to the Bruins.
I don't think so either. Boston had more trouble scoring than us and we seem to have their number for decades last year was a fluke from Montreal having nearly half the team in infirmary.

Old
05-22-2010, 11:37 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Let's not be naive or self-deceiving enough to believe that the coaching was responsible for the 1-3 standings. Martin and his assistants have done far better than any Hab coach since Demers in 1993.
Let's not mistake things here. The team has done much better. Whether the coaches are to be credited and how much is a different matter.

Personally... I see more spectacular goaltending and a great deal of luck than a well-coached team. I don't think a well-coached team, playing defensively, would have allowed so many scoring chances to Washington and Pittsburgh, even allowing that those are strong teams.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:31 AM
TampaDude

Well...the Habs have been here before...can they pull off the miracle comeback yet again???

TampaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:15 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaDude View Post
Well...the Habs have been here before...can they pull off the miracle comeback yet again???
possible, it's just going to the well once again seems like some trouble...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Pleks line really needs to step it up goddammit!

Move Cammy full time with Gomez and Gionta.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Pathetic....I can't believe I spent HARD EARNED money on that ****!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:46 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Pierre McGuire on NBC.
was just going through the thread again and I saw this (as reference for sand outside dressing room legend).

Now that we all know how bs that is, and clearly (i hope) shabutie didn't actually believe it, was just reporting the source, wow. Discussion should end RIGHT there. Pierre McGuire. conversation over. To think he was spewing this to millions...er dozens of americans just pisses me off. We always get such a bad name for such non-events while actually being the classiest organization.

sorry pierre that your last name isn't gauthier, get over it and ****!

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote