HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What route do you think Gainey will take????

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Mooch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
What route do you think Gainey will take????

What i mean is what kind of a team do you think he has in mind for the future. Will he build a tough, gritty team like the Flames, and speedy team like Tampa, or a purely skilled defensive team like Ottawa. Which direction do you think he will go in with our current prospects.

Personally i think Gainey will go the Ottawa route. A highly skilled defensive team. In fact most of our prospects are built too play that style. We dont really have any rugged and gritty forwards. If i had a choice, i would go for a team that can do it all. Speed, some grit, defensive minded (not like nj though), and highly skilled.

So what route do you think he will take or what route do you think we are going in with our current group of propects????

Old
05-14-2004, 01:17 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I think we are going like Tampa Bay with Kast,Perez it will be a fast team,
Koivu,Kovalev,Zednik this one is a speedy line with the addition of Perez and KAst in our lineup we will be a speedy team like Tampa IMO

Old
05-14-2004, 01:19 PM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
route to success isnt linear, i think he will constantly adjust to what he have to deal with. As exemple, I dont think Kovalev is the kind of player Gainey wish to have but he might sign him for several issues.

Old
05-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
I think we are going like Tampa Bay with Kast,Perez it will be a fast team,
Koivu,Kovalev,Zednik this one is a speedy line with the addition of Perez and KAst in our lineup we will be a speedy team like Tampa IMO
Ya but Tampa plays a run and gun style, i dont think Gainey would go that route. Speed wise we may be like Tampa, but certainly not style imo.

Old
05-14-2004, 01:23 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin
route to success isnt linear, i think he will constantly adjust to what he have to deal with. As exemple, I dont think Kovalev is the kind of player Gainey wish to have but he might sign him for several issues.
I don't know, I think BG appreciates skill. I suspect that the style of prospects in the org. will be supported with players that can play the sort of up tempo game that Calgary is currently playing. Our system has a lot of speed and I think he will try and add some sandpaper to the players we have. Keep in mind that everyone is seeingand taking note of the pace shown by TB,SJ and Calgary. That's the coming style, I think and we have some of the needed ingredients.

Old
05-14-2004, 01:26 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Ya but Tampa plays a run and gun style, i dont think Gainey would go that route. Speed wise we may be like Tampa, but certainly not style imo.
agreed Mooch TB play more offensive style of game , tb in pk they will try to create some offense but the habs are playing more defensive style of game.
The first two line are offensive with guy like koivu,kovalev,ryder but look at the 3rd and 4th line we have guys like Dowd,Begin,Langdon these guy are defensive player.

Old
05-14-2004, 01:35 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
agreed Mooch TB play more offensive style of game , tb in pk they will try to create some offense but the habs are playing more defensive style of game.
The first two line are offensive with guy like koivu,kovalev,ryder but look at the 3rd and 4th line we have guys like Dowd,Begin,Langdon these guy are defensive player.
Gainey built Dallas simularily, but you never know maybe hes gona try a different route this time, i doubt that though, as he always been a defense first kind of guy, even as a player.

Old
05-14-2004, 02:20 PM
Brett38

For those of us who can remember the Habs of the '70's, they were a team of speed, scoring and great defensive ability. Bowman wouldn't have it any other way. With players like Jarvis, Gainey, Lambert, Risebrough, Roberts and others who could play the most defensive system then any other team in the league. On the other hand, we had players who could score, score, score. I don't have to mention any names because I'm sure I would be insulting your knowledge. I haven't even mentioned their defenceman yet. I'm not saying we will have a team like the Hab's of the 70's, but Gainey came up in this era and knows what type of a team he want's. I'm sure he wants to bring back some of the glory of the speed, scoring and defence that was synonomous with the Habs of that era.

Some of the things that he might have going against him in todays marketplace is money. Maybe the next agreement might address this area. I am so glad that Gainey is the guy in charge. He is a no-nonsence type GM. He doesn't take any s_ _ t and knows how to motivate a team. When Gainey walks into a room I'm sure you could hear a pin drop while players are peeing in their pants. He has that image. Just to look at him would make someone get spooked...ha,ha!

Anyway, this year has been great. I trust Gainey with this team. I haven't felt that way about a GM in Montreal in a long time.

Okay, I've got that off my chest. I'm going through withdrawals. After all I did admit to being a Haboholic earlier today.

Have agood one everyone,

Brett38

Old
05-14-2004, 02:47 PM
tinyzombies

I think Gainey wants as much offensive creativity as possible, but a solid high-pressure team defense as well. I think it's an organic process because you can't tell what prospects are going to pan out or what trade opportunities will arise.

Just because Julien tried to employ a trapping/collapsing style doesn't mean that's what we'll be in the future. In the playoffs it didn't work and he changed to a more aggressive forecheck, which didn't work either because we don't have the skilled D to play uptempo right now.

We don't have that many players who are solid both ways right now. In the top two lines, Zednik and Ryder are ok but the rest are awful defensively, Bulis included.

Our checking lines aren't that solid defensively either. Begin, Dowd and Ward are all average defenders and Langdon is awful in his own end. The other guys are likely to be gone via free agency.

Our prospects are not that great both ways either with the exception of Higgins, who will be an important role player on the Canadiens because of that fact. Plekanec, from what I understand, has improved his D but is still a smallish forward who can be overpowered much like Ribeiro, even if he is a heavier player.

Combine our size issues and lack of defensive ability (partly due to size) with our defensemen's lack of ability to safely move the puck (except when Souray is healthy and when Markov is "on"), and that spells trouble.

I think a complete overhaul is in the works, especially when you consider that Koivu has only a couple more seasons in Montreal I'd assume and Kovalev is only a short-term solution.

How Gainey deals with this I don't know. I expect a big trade on the horizon, but maybe not until the middle of next season. I could also see a big free agent signing or two in the next two years.

Guys that should become the core of the team will be Kastitsyn (hopefully, even though his defense is typically shaky for a kid right now), Komisarek (who has the makings of a solid puck mover with more experience), Souray and Markov, Ryder perhaps, Higgins and then whatever free agents we pick up.

If Kastitsyn turns into Zednik or Komisarek turns out to be a less skilled Hatcher or Souray gets hurt or Ryder becomes a bust... we're in a bit of trouble.

Ribeiro has many steps to take as a player, but he'll likely be on the team if he continues to score. This poses many logistical problems defensively and come playoff time that will have to be resolved. A regular season scorer that cannot produce in the playoffs because of size/speed issues is a big problem.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 05-14-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old
05-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
What i mean is what kind of a team do you think he has in mind for the future.
A winning team.

His good at seeing and improving his teams weaknesses, but as far as what type of team he will want to make is in my opinion one with great smarts, speed and goaltending.

Old
05-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisson11
A winning team.

His good at seeing and improving his teams weaknesses, but as far as what type of team he will want to make is in my opinion one with great smarts, speed and goaltending.
Thats a combination for a winning team my soul brother!

Old
05-14-2004, 03:52 PM
tinyzombies

Oh... sorry I misread the question.

The kind of team I WANT for the future is TAMPA BAY with better defensemen and a faster/better 4th line.

Old
05-14-2004, 04:08 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Oh... sorry I misread the question.

The kind of team I WANT for the future is TAMPA BAY with better defensemen and a faster/better 4th line.
I hate the style of play of Tampa. I don't want anything to do with it.

They have what, 5-8 good scoring chances by game and they manage to score on almost every of them. But...WHY? Because they are playing defence first but with 1 or 2 offensive threats (Lecavalier, etc.) waiting for the big pass so that they can skate alone(breakaway) or 2 vs 1 that mainly happens because they are "screening?" In french, we called those players: Scèneux.

However, I gained much respect for Brad Richards who I feel his goals are legit.

Meanwhile, I feel that Tampa abuse on the defensive system, putting 3-4 players in front of the net to block every shots make the game really boring, since it becomes almost impossible to score on. (see Flyers, Habs Vs Tampa) Yes it's effective, like the Devils defensive system is. Do you really want to watch this on a regular basis, even if the Cup may be the price at the end, that isn't hockey.

I want a team like Calgary, I want a team like Colorado, I want a team like the Flyers, but I don't want a team like Tampa. If breakaways are exciting, I don't think the overall game tampa plays is really exciting.

Old
05-14-2004, 04:09 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

There's only two things that he has to consider. His team has to put a good show at home and his team has to be a winning game. Knowing that, the rest is really random. You do with what you're given. You can try to pick 5 Martin Havlat, but there's not one out of them who pans out. Then you try to draft one Brendan Morrow and he turns into a good one... It's luck and they do with what they have.

Old
05-14-2004, 04:24 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict
I hate the style of play of Tampa. I don't want anything to do with it.

They have what, 5-8 good scoring chances by game and they manage to score on almost every of them. But...WHY? Because they are playing defence first but with 1 or 2 offensive threats (Lecavalier, etc.) waiting for the big pass so that they can skate alone(breakaway) or 2 vs 1 that mainly happens because they are "screening?" In french, we called those players: Scèneux.

However, I gained much respect for Brad Richards who I feel his goals are legit.

Meanwhile, I feel that Tampa abuse on the defensive system, putting 3-4 players in front of the net to block every shots make the game really boring, since it becomes almost impossible to score on. (see Flyers, Habs Vs Tampa) Yes it's effective, like the Devils defensive system is. Do you really want to watch this on a regular basis, even if the Cup may be the price at the end, that isn't hockey.

I want a team like Calgary, I want a team like Colorado, I want a team like the Flyers, but I don't want a team like Tampa. If breakaways are exciting, I don't think the overall game tampa plays is really exciting.
I don't really care about the defensive side of it, to be honest, as long as they don't score. I want to see firewagon hockey though! Tampa just exploits the fact that most teams don't have three guys who can move the puck safely. It's smart hockey.

Sure, Calgary is fun to watch too, but they have trouble scoring goals. I like their aggressiveness and I hope that our checking line guys play like that, but I want to see some skill too!

Old
05-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Guy Caballero

He will try to build a team where the goalie is an ornament rather than the backbone. When you place too much of your fate in the hands of one man, you're setting yourself up for a fall. Gainey has already started to move us in that direction; it's the reason why in 2004 we were so much better than we were in 2002. Now that we can finally start cutting out some of the deadwood, we'll see the team head even further away from the "behind the blueline" approach, with Theodore as its focal point, and towards a more holistic approach, where every player on the team contributes to offense and defense. At this point, Theo's job will become easier (like Brodeur's was in the mid 90s and Roy's was in the early 90s) and he may even become expendable. If they continue to progress at their current rate, Higgins and Plekanec will play a big part in this future.

Old
05-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Gainey doesn't decide what kind of game we'll play. He can only decide what kind of coach he wants. Right now that coach is Julien and we've already got a good taste of what kind of hockey Julien wants out of his team.

Another interesting question is how will Gainey fill the holes in the rosters with the departure of Quintal, Juneau and possible departures of Sundstrom, Dowd, Kovalev, Dagenais and Dackel ?

Will he take the UFA route, the trade route or the youngsters route ? A combination of all three ? Will he avoid taking certain routes ? Do we have enough faith in Higgins, Plekanec and Hossa to fill a couple of spots ? Should we hand each one of them a spot on a golden platter ? Or should Gainey create healthy competition by picking up the Dagenais option and bringing in some other fillers in the same mold as insurance in case our prospects don't prove to be ready ?

Old
05-14-2004, 06:05 PM
BLONG7

BG has a busy summer ahead... alot of decisions to be made, and they could be clouded by the fact that the new CBA seems to be at least a year away...

Closed Thread