HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Bronze Medal Game • 05/23/10 • Sweden 3, Germany 1

View Poll Results: Who wins bronze?
Sweden 19 59.38%
Germany 13 40.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2010, 08:53 AM
zecke26

vCash: 500
tough one for me. i usually root for both. so i thought about the positives and negatives of a win for each and then the answer was obvious...

it's BÅG's last game and a failure would be a perfect ending of his career as swedish coach.

Old
05-23-2010, 08:59 AM
FreakyEuro*

Germans would deserve the victory for what they have shown on this tournament. They would bite ice rather than disappointing the home fans. And their fans are actually humble and respectful, which really cannot be said about some Swedish fans whose swagger, air of superiority and inability to take loss like men is starting to become bothersome. Not all of them, of course, but enough of them to be noticeable. What a difference of class when compared to the Finns, who were very respectful and 100% classy after the loss.

For historical reasons I have NEVER supported Germans. This will be my first time. They have won my support by their dedicated play, larger than life effort and cool fans with modest attitude. So here goes:

GO GERMANY GO! Make the history!

Old
05-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Frank Bascombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyEuro View Post
Germans would deserve the victory for what they have shown on this tournament. They would bite ice rather than disappointing the home fans. And their fans are actually humble and respectful, which really cannot be said about some Swedish fans whose swagger, air of superiority and inability to take loss like men is starting to become bothersome. Not all of them, of course, but enough of them to be noticeable. What a difference of class when compared to the Finns, who were very respectful and 100% classy after the loss.

For historical reasons I have NEVER supported Germans. This will be my first time. They have won my support by their dedicated play, larger than life effort and cool fans with modest attitude. So here goes:

GO GERMANY GO! Make the history!
God, get over yourself.

In what way have Swedes been disrespectful to you? Because we don't like our coach? That's just tough, but it's the way it is.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by calahanzoer View Post
Do the swedes care about this game? No they dont.
Do the germans care about this gmae? Yes the do.

Germany will win and i dont even care, its a big game for them.
The Swedish players will care, even if us fans aren't very excited about the game.

It would be nice to see some of the young lads on this team win a medal, but Germany getting a medal in their home country would be good for hockey, so I'm fine regardless of how the game ends.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Not even one minute played and both Hedman and Ericsson with massive giveaways in their own zone. A sign of things to come?

Old
05-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Pääjärvi!

Old
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

where is the D?

but a nice goal by MPS

Old
Like Wall

1:0 SWE. Germans probably too tired

Old
05-23-2010, 09:20 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Paajarvi with rocket skates and a sick finish

Old
05-23-2010, 09:21 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Pääjärvi got some Forsberg-esque in his moves.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Like Wall

Shot on goal after whistle

Old
05-23-2010, 09:29 AM
NationalHockeyJerk

Germany is too tired or just still sleeping.. Nice goal by MPS, even though it went in a little bit easily.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Hybbe

Should've been 2-0.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:30 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Hmm..Paajarvi shouldve had 2 there... germany saved by the ref

Old
05-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like Wall View Post
Shot on goal after whistle
Puck wasn't blocked, should not have been a whistle. MPS robbed of a goal by a nervous ref, plain and simple

Old
05-23-2010, 09:31 AM
NationalHockeyJerk

That was a medicore finishing attempt by Wolf. Nice pass though.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Like Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post
Puck wasn't blocked, should not have been a whistle. MPS robbed of a goal by a nervous ref, plain and simple
Had there not been a whistle, the Germans wouldn't just stand there

Old
05-23-2010, 09:32 AM
ts

How many breaks do they need?

Old
05-23-2010, 09:32 AM
NationalHockeyJerk

Another breakaway for the Germans, still no goal.

Swedish defense don't look too good on their own blue line.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Hybbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NationalHockeyJerk View Post
Another breakaway for the Germans, still no goal.

Swedish defense don't look too good on their own blue line.
Naw, 'twas Omark who tried to be too cute and lost the puck, the defense looks ok.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Lerik

It feels so sad to see team Sweden in a Bronze-game...I felt reel sick yesterday....it was very hard to see the czechs score 7,5 s before the end...very hard...the hardest lost to take since IHWC 2003 against Canada in the final.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:49 AM
gmaledotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like Wall View Post
Had there not been a whistle, the Germans wouldn't just stand there
They would've stood there no matter what cause they didn't see the puck. The whistle was just half a sec before he shot it and all germans were turned against the goalie thinking he had it if I remember correct.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Nordic*

Lol at Andreas Johanssons speach impediment...."Bronsch"...

About Paajarvi. I don't buy in to the hype surrounding him. Sure, he's fastm works hard and has 5 goals during these WC. But... he's weak on the skates (as in easy to know off the puck), has average stickhandling, not very good balance and core strenght. On top of that he's only an average passer who doesn't really seem to know what to do when he can't rush in to the zone and release his wrister.

He was flat out bad against both Denmark and the Czechs last night.

Then again, Edmonton is a brutal team so he might give them a little help if he decides to join them next season.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:57 AM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bascombe View Post
God, get over yourself.

In what way have Swedes been disrespectful to you? Because we don't like our coach? That's just tough, but it's the way it is.
I don't need to get over myself, I have always tried to treat everybody with respect here regardless of his nationality etc.

Some Swedish fans are not very respectful of the qualities of other teams. The Riddarn guy stated in his thread Swedes will roll over Germany even with half effort, you can look it up in this very thread. I think it's too cocky a statement given what the Germans have already shown here. The Swedes are clearly a better team and most likely they will win, but such statements are not particularly gentlemanlike and are rather disrespectful, because I believe you will have to show a full effort to beat this German team, it should be clear that the days of half-effort matches against underdogs in ice hockey are over.

You keep on shifting the guilt for your loss on your coach, but let me remind you, there was another team that played against you, not only your team and your coach. You never were in bigger lead than one goal and for the good part of the match the score was even. You got outplayed in the 3rd.

Yet many of you guys keep bickering on what bunch of superior supermen your guys are and it is only fault of your coach, there was no quality on the side of your opposition. And it's becoming really boring.

The Czech team however lacking their 1st and most of the 2nd tier players has beaten Canada, Finland and Sweden (twice) in one tournament. All by one goal margin. All tight games. Yet all victories. Wouldn't you guess, in your superhuman acumen, that there's some quality behind that? Something like determination and never give up attitude? Something like quality goaltending? Or do you believe that four one goal victories in tight matches is still a coincidence and the semifinal match was lost by the coach only, not for example by lack of scoring and inability to capitalize on opportunities of which you have created more than the Czech team?

Plain and simple: Some of you guys don't give other teams the credit they deserve. Some of you are too cocky. I dislike national chauvinism in any form and shape and some of you Swedish guys are showing glimpses of it. That's why I'll support Germans in this particular match. Incidentally I have liked both Swedish and German team very much throughout the tournament because of their great play (especially the Swedes). So that means on this tournament, in this game the fans are the difference makers for my sympathies.

Old
05-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Frank Bascombe

Swedes focus more on the Swedish team than the Czech team. If that offends you somehow that's too bad.

The whole swedish-people-think-they-are-superhuman-thing is a figment of your imagination. No one has ever said anything of the sort.

You obviously have some sort of hang up, and I'm done entertaining you -- primarily because I don't have the energy to read three 1000-word essays on the topic.

Closed Thread