HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Bronze Medal Game • 05/23/10 • Sweden 3, Germany 1

View Poll Results: Who wins bronze?
Sweden 19 59.38%
Germany 13 40.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2010, 11:46 AM
ES

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaheimDucks90 View Post
While the handshake line, he told some things to him. I dunno what exactly but he did that.
Probably he explained why he used that timeout.

Old
05-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Like Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo View Post
The same media that turned itself, and consequently the fans and the average joe viewer against every coach since the mid 90s.
I wish Latvian media criticized our good-for-nothing LHF leadership and coach. I guess the Swedes are dealing with opposite extreme, where media goes too far with analytic criticism.

Old
05-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Vodalian

That was really embarrassing by BÅG. The audience were celebrating their team even after a loss and he just had to ruin it for people who has nothing do with his personal little war and no clue what it was all about.

How can a guy like BÅG not understand the role of media in hockey, that without them there is no fat paycheck at the end of the month? This bothers me more than bad squad selections and weird tactical choices. Oh well no one will be interested in what he has to say now anyway, must be paradise.

Old
05-23-2010, 11:49 AM
wwvdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha82 View Post
I dunno why so many people think it`s funny. The same people that also critcized him for the very time out that was the reason for all the Swedish media bashing him. In Germany a disrespectful behavior towards an opponent (especially the host) just to make up for a personal and tactical mistake would never be conceived as being funny so maybe we just have a different kind of humor... Bet he could have chosen a classier goodbye statement.

Whatever, it`s over still happy with the German result.
It may be personal but I wouldn't call it a tactical mistake.

You could compare it to an applause sub for a two-goal scorer in a champions league final. What is the big problem? You have to wait a few extra seconds before the match is over, big deal...

It is the perfect place to take one back on a media corpse that has shown it knows f-all about hockey.

Old
05-23-2010, 11:51 AM
KRM

A wee bit disrespectful, but friggin hilarious.

And the German team could have gathered around their bench and appreciated the last seconds of an amazing feat instead of getting pissed about it.

Old
05-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

I'd like to have seen BÖG try this agaisnt Canada...

Old
05-23-2010, 11:56 AM
omaha82

Last comment from me regarding that scene: If Sweden was at the receiving end of that "joke" after losing one of the most important game in their nation`s hockey history, i bet some of you guys wouldn`t think it was THAT funny And Gustafsson should have known and considered that. I bet he did and that`s even worse.

Old
05-23-2010, 11:56 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Imagine it IN Canada. He'd be happy to leave the place alive.

Old
05-23-2010, 11:57 AM
DowJones

About the TV guys comment:

Is there a rumor that Niklas Persson is signing for the Blackhawks or was that just taken out of nothing?

Old
05-23-2010, 11:58 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
BÅG speaks german, he went right to Krupp and some players to tell them what it was about. Ehrhoff was probably one of them.
And do you think that any of them actually give a ****?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
A wee bit disrespectful, but friggin hilarious.

And the German team could have gathered around their bench and appreciated the last seconds of an amazing feat instead of getting pissed about it.
Yeah, when you played your heart out infront of the home crowd in one of the best oppertunities of your life... and a second away from defeat.... you think that they'd be all smiles in the heat of the battle?

Old
05-23-2010, 12:00 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
I just gave him the answer, chill.

Old
05-23-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Oh, there we have it. I was actually waiting for the classic homosexual joke. It's awesome.

Though I do agree that it was disrespectful but... hilarious.

Old
05-23-2010, 12:02 PM
DowJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
dude, relax

Old
05-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Grove

That was damn hilarious after reading all the ridiculous overreaction from Swedish media after the Czech-game.

I like BÅG a lot more now.

Old
05-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowJones View Post
About the TV guys comment:

Is there a rumor that Niklas Persson is signing for the Blackhawks or was that just taken out of nothing?
It's a good rumor (Swedish link).

Btw, everyone in here needs to relax.

Old
05-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Hockey Canada would have sent a sternly-worded memo to the IIHF, and demanded that BÅG call Sidney Crosby's agent and apologize.

Old
05-23-2010, 12:08 PM
teddygmr

On TSN, the Announcers said that the reason for the time-out was so that Anders Lindback could substitute in goal and therefore be eligible to receive a bronze medal.
They inferred that IF Lindback (highly regarded Nashville prospect) had not actually played he would NOT receive a medal.

Lindback sure looks huge....I mean the Monster is apparently 6'3" and Lindback looked all of his reported 6'6" height when they stood beside each other in the congratulatory (hmmm....did I just invent a new word?) scrum after the end of the game.

Germany played very well and has a lot to be proud of; (too bad Korbinian Holzer couldn't play, along with absent vets Hecht and Sturm). This should inspire more kids to play hockey in Germany and they may continue to compete for a medal in years ahead!

Old
05-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Vimars

I don't get it. Hilarious? And how exactly did BÅG get back at the media with that timeout? Did it somehow prove the media wrong? Becouse they won the game? And why did he pull the goalie?

Old
05-23-2010, 12:12 PM
gmaledotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
On TSN, the Announcers said that the reason for the time-out was so that Anders Lindback could substitute in goal and therefore be eligible to receive a bronze medal.
They inferred that IF Lindback (highly regarded Nashville prospect) had not actually played he would NOT receive a medal.

Lindback sure looks huge....I mean the Monster is apparently 6'3" and Lindback looked all of his reported 6'6" height when they stood beside each other in the congratulatory (hmmm....did I just invent a new word?) scrum after the end of the game.

Germany played very well and has a lot to be proud of; (too bad Korbinian Holzer couldn't play, along with absent vets Hecht and Sturm). This should inspire more kids to play hockey in Germany and they may continue to compete for a medal in years ahead!
Yeah that was a part of him taking the timeout but all these politically correct whiners only see as far as their anger with something not following what they think is the correct way to act etc.

Old
05-23-2010, 12:15 PM
wwvdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimars View Post
I don't get it. Hilarious? And how exactly did BÅG get back at the media with that timeout? Did it somehow prove the media wrong? Becouse they won the game? And why did he pull the goalie?
To give Lindbäck "some" playing time. That was rather obvious....

Old
05-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Lerik

A good tournament by Sweden, a big disappointment last night against the Czechs, not the lost but the way they lost, but if we look at the tournament with a new young team and with some key-injury's like Weinhandls it was a good championship for Sweden.

But next year everything but a final will be a failure. Team Sweden cant go around and by happy every World championship with a top four place. Next time they must take one of the final spots. Its a bit embarrassing we don't have a Sweden team in the finals since 2006, it must change in 2011.

And the new head coach Mårts must bring back the top players to the team. This year Bengt-Åke was lucky we had a new strong generation ready, but most of this young players will go to NHL this year so I hope Mårts can make them come back and play for the team next year if they out of the SC-playoffs.

Bengt-Åke did a good job 2005-2010, two gold and two bronze in eight championship are a good result. He had some faults and sometimes he made some really bad coaching like yesterday and in the last Olympics but in the end he gave Sweden its biggest success in all time with the golden double and for the first time won Sweden a tournament with all the best players in the world.

So a cheer for Bengt-Åke, its the federations fault he stayed two years to long.

Old
05-23-2010, 12:16 PM
DowJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
It's a good rumor (Swedish link).
Ok, thanks.

Old
05-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha82 View Post
Last comment from me regarding that scene: If Sweden was at the receiving end of that "joke" after losing one of the most important game in their nation`s hockey history, i bet some of you guys wouldn`t think it was THAT funny And Gustafsson should have known and considered that. I bet he did and that`s even worse.
I wouldn't have cared one second if the Germans (or any other team) would have done it. One second left, the game was over, who cares if a timeout is called (though according to this thread the answer is: to many people).

Old
05-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Pharrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grove View Post
That was damn hilarious after reading all the ridiculous overreaction from Swedish media after the Czech-game.

I like BÅG a lot more now.
+1

Old
05-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Jerkini

How did Gustavsson play for most of the tournament? I haven't been keeping up, but at the Olympics he looked very shaky in his limited play. Was he better this time around?

Closed Thread