HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings 11th pick so far (md)

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2004, 05:48 PM
punchy1

vCash: 500
Kings 11th pick so far (md)

Cheers lads. Some of you know that a few of us are participating in HF's (mizral) Mock Draft for the Kings.

Fortunately for us a poll were done in another thread so we have a grand pulse as to what most of you would have us draft. (if we keep the pick which is likely)

According to our poll, Schwarz is the top pick for most. He looks a dandy.
So does Montoya, for my money, if I were DT, I would have all the front knowledge on Schwarz due to his being on our team in Eu. So, I would either pick him or Alvaro depending on which I had ranked higher based on that knowledge.

Still, something to consider is the following and the reason for this post.

There are a couple of players that "could" be available with our pick at 11th and I feel it worth mentioning them in these circumstances so that we can all be clear on what we want. (only participate if you want)

I think it helps us all have more fun on draft day if we know as much as we can about the lads being picked but that is just my opinion, if you don't agree sorry for the bother.

The first player to look at is Al Radulov.

He is now listed at 6'2" 190. He is a young man who spent most of his season this year in the league between the farm and the tops in Russia. He did play in the U18s and were bang on in them. He also did right well in his time with the top team too.

He plays RW and is being compared rather smartly with some pretty special players. He is a RW and lord knows we are dead loaded on that side with them (Tambs, Brown, Push, Karlson, Kanko etc) but, he is fast, he is responsible and he is a scoring winger like Frolov. I believe he will be gone prior to our pick and know that we need a goalie but, if the Kings could get a "gerber or Garon" type of netter from another team (There are *many many* teams that have *several* quality goalies that they could move this offseason. The Sabres, Caps, Canes, SJ to name a few) it would free us up to go after some scoring talent which you can never have enough of.

The next player is Robbie Schremp.

He were ranked along side Ove all last season and into this one. What changed things? It is said that he has a poor attitude. Some say rubbish, I say that smoke and fire go hand in hand. Either way, nobody questions that he is one of the best and most talented young offencive centers to come out of the farms in awhile. He isn't big at 5'11" 183 but he plays big enough.

He plays well enough in his own end but not well enough for us yet. His scoring is magic. No doubt about it, if it comes down to putting points on the board ala Nash, he will likely be very grand, but, in our system, he WILL have to play both ends.

IF he is available at 11 which is also doubtful, he too is the kind of player that you have a hard time passing on. Players of his talent are hard to find and, time in the minors could be just the thing to curb that hot head.

There are a couple more I will tell you about as the thread goes along but were wondering what your thoughts on these lads were.

Old
05-13-2004, 05:58 PM
palffytofrovlov

Its either of the goalies Punchy, I dont think Schremp will be there.. Even though people are saying he will drop I dont think he will after what happen to O'Sullivan last year. But if Radulov does fall or someone like Stafford as well I will think really hard... But my pick is still Montoya... I think he is safer and better then Schwarz

Old
05-13-2004, 06:08 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by palffytofrovlov
Its either of the goalies Punchy, I dont think Schremp will be there.. Even though people are saying he will drop I dont think he will after what happen to O'Sullivan last year. But if Radulov does fall or someone like Stafford as well I will think really hard... But my pick is still Montoya... I think he is safer and better then Schwarz
concur with this post

Old
05-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree that we will probably go after one of the goalies but I wouldn't be too sure about Schremp not lasting until the Kings' pick. I don't think he will fall like O'Sullivan did (where he was ranked around the mid-to-late first round in the pre-draft rankings and then falling as far as he did in the second), but Schremp has not been a consensus top ten from the various rankings I've read from Redline, McKeens, and the two HF posts based on the scout's views. CSS also had him ranked as the 10th North American skater. Schremp certainly could go top ten, but it's far from a certainty. Though, I would like to see where THN as well as Bob McKenzie (with his survey of scouts) have him ranked.

Redline - out of the top ten
McKeen's Top 15 - 11th overall
steblicks' Top 60 - 10th overall
turnbuckle's Post - out of the top ten

Last edited by Sam: 05-13-2004 at 07:29 PM.
Old
05-13-2004, 08:08 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

if wat u say is correct about the attitude problem, i really don't see the kings pickin him up. kings seem to be very conscious about the mental aspect of the player as much as the physical. it surprised me that they didn't pick up o' sullivan after having numerous interviews with him, but it makes sense if they want to make sure we don't have another skilled lehoux on our hands.

Old
05-13-2004, 10:54 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Isn't Schremp buddies with Brown? I could see them taking him if he's available. . .

Old
05-13-2004, 11:15 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Isn't Schremp buddies with Brown? I could see them taking him if he's available. . .
Nah, I think you're thinking of O'Sullivan. I do beleive that Schremp and Brown have played together for team USA though.

Old
05-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Fat Elvis

A question, where would these 2 goalies have gone in last years draft? I'm just wondering how good these guys are or if they are just the 2 best in THIS years draft. If Montoya is still around at #17 like it has been written before, why not trade down a few spots and pick up a second as well as Montoya? Or if neither is a sure shot #1 best goalie since MAF then why not get a Stafford, Schremp, or Rad if they're there at 11?

Old
05-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Brown and Schremp are good friends, both played Junior A together in Syracuse, NY and are represented by the same agent.

Old
05-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
Brown and Schremp are good friends, both played Junior A together in Syracuse, NY and are represented by the same agent.
(in best Johnny Carson ala Dana Carvey voice)I did not know that...That's weird wild stuff.

Old
05-14-2004, 04:03 PM
willie

My personal order: (of the best players potentially available with our pick)

1. Schremp, C
2. Radulov, RW
3. Schwarz, G
4. Wolski, C
5. Montoya, G

Old
05-15-2004, 06:11 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
My personal order: (of the best players potentially available with our pick)

1. Schremp, C
2. Radulov, RW
3. Schwarz, G
4. Wolski, C
5. Montoya, G
Mine would be

1. Schremp
2. Picard
3. Montoya
4. Schwarz
5. Radulov

Old
05-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

McKeen's Update on Schremp

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam040517/nhl_draft-mck.html
Quote:
Despite a world-beating performance at the Top Prospects game, London's Robbie Schremp's draft stock is in trouble, as the youngster may be passed up in the top 20 of the draft after a disappointing OHL playoff.

Schremp amassed only 13 points in 15 games with a -2 rating and his ice time was consistently lowered due to his inability to buy into coach's Dale Hunter's defense-first system. Meanwhile, Trevor Kell, who plays mainly as a checker for London, racked up 15 points with a +15 rating. Kell, who is not ranked in the McKeen's top 100, was listed 150th among North Americans by Central Scouting.

"There is no doubt that Schremp is very frustrated with the situation," said McKeen's senior prospect editor Jake Dole, "but I commend him for handling the situation the way he did. He did not complain.

"But at this time, I don't even see him being considered until mid-way through the first round. There will be much more well-rounded players to choose from by NHL teams."

Last edited by Sam: 05-20-2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old
05-18-2004, 03:14 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Here is a post from LGk worth reading

I have played hockey with this poster a few times. Great guy, very credible

Quote:
just finished talking on IM to an old family friend who happens to scout for the OHL's Plymouth Whalers, I usually give him a call after the draft each year to find out about how the Kings did, well anyways I happened to see him online and thought I'd save the cash on a long distance call and shoot some questions his way about our Kings.

Dustin Brown

Most people in the OHL think the Kings really butchered the handling of Brown this season, has no idea why he wasn't sent back to the OHL after it was apparent he wasn't going to play a key role on the Kings. He still has high hopes for Brown and says the Kings "stole" him where they got him last year, but says he should have been in the OHL this season.

Petr Kanko

Didn't take that "next step" offensively that many thought he would this year, but will be a solid pro and a fan favorite in LA. He says "In four years Kanko and Avery are going to be a pain in the ass to play against, they could be a new grind line"

Ryan Munce

I asked about the Kings taking a goaltender with the 11th pick and he said they shouldn't because "you guys already have a future starter in Munce" He said Montoya is decent but is too hot and cold for his liking in the games he saw him play at Michigan. Says if Munce had been American it would have been him winning the Gold Medal at the World Juniors.

Jeff Tambellini

Didn't see him a ton but says that he has all the tools to be a solid 2nd line winger but just had one of those years that happens to prospects. I guess he was pretty close to leaving to return to BC to play in the WHL but decided not to leave. Has world class skating and shooting skills but needs to go into high scoring areas and take a hit to make things happen.

Dave Steckel

Says the Kings should take the 2nd round compensation pick and run with it. Says Steckel hasn't improved at all from the day he left the National Junior Team. Says Steckel would have been one of those guys who would have been much better off playing in the OHL, where he could have learned to use his size better and be meaner, doesn't think he'll see the NHL in his career, lousy skater, with no finish who doesn't use his size well enough.

2004 Draft

Not a super strong year for the OHL at the top, but he says the depth is solid and there could be a few Kanko type sleeper choices in the mid rounds. Mentioned Vaclav Meidl from his own team, says he is another in your face type player with some offensive skill, also mentioned Wes O'Neill a prospect from Notre Dame whos stock has fallen a bit, but he says he would be a steal if he didn't go in the Top 20, but rumors are he may fall to the 2nd round.

Had awesome things to say about AJ Thelen of MSU, said he caught him a few times this year and was amazed by his skill and composure. Said it would be a steal for anyone who gets him out of the Top 10.

Another guy he mentioned that might be in the LA range was Wojtech Wolski, but he is worried about what type of player he'll be in the NHL.

Says he wouldn't touch Rob Schremp with a 10 foot pole, even if he is available when the Kings pick. Says he has never seen someones stock fall so far, so fast. Says Schremp was hardly even playing towards the end of the year. Says he could go anywhere from 5 to 35, depending on if teams are willing to gamble, no one did on O'Sullivan and he thinks O'Sullivan is the better player than Schremp.

Oh and speaking of Schremp he mentioned that his teammate Corey Perry (Ducks 1st rnd pick last year) was "the biggest weasel in the OHL" and "I would be shocked if he had any kind of NHL career, he is a total whiner"

On other non-Kings related stuff he said that the Saginaw Spirit (another Michigan OHL team) has a kid named Phillip Kessel who is 16 years old, the Spirit are trying to get him to come play in the OHL, but he is I guess leaning towards college hockey at Wisconsin. He says he is one of the best American born prospects he has ever seen and that he has that future super star type ability, so keep an eye on him.

Old
05-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I have played hockey with this poster a few times. Great guy, very credible

I can't wait to see Avery and Kanko on a line together with maybe a guy like Barnaby. Man that would be sick.

Old
05-18-2004, 05:48 PM
palffytofrovlov

Since everyone is listing their pick for the Kings... Here are my top 5 for the 11th pick...

1. Radulov
2. Schremp
3a. Montoya
3b. Schwarz
4. Stafford
5. Thelen

Ok ok I can't decide which goalie to draft...

Old
05-18-2004, 07:00 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

kj and sam, thanks for the info, both good reads.

seems like a number of our high-ends types underperformed this year - it just reminds you of how volatile and unpredictable the development of prospects is.

Old
05-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Gwyddbwyll

If its of any interest I am drafting for the Kings in the Mock Draft board (on the 'Draft till you Drop' thread).

I was offered the 24th and 48th from Rangers for the 11th overall (I think he wanted Valabik). I held out for the 24th + 36th (or 37th) picks that the Rangers also owned. I cited the Sjostrom deal where Phoenix gave Calgary a ~45th overall pick to move up 3 spots to 11th overall.

Anyway the deal didnt get done so I picked Marek Schwarz. If I had gotten my deal which I think was fair, I would have taken Jakub Sindel with the 24th and Cory Schneider with the 36th. (Voloshenko and Dubnyk were taken at those spots respectively).

With the 3rd round pick, I took TJ Hensick.

BTW - am quite happy to let a LA fan take over the drafting.. nobody volunteered so I doubled up.

Closed Thread