HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Hell is Everybody's Problem with Mike Richards?

Old
05-21-2010, 02:10 AM
TheLegendkiller

vCash: 500
The Hell is Everybody's Problem with Mike Richards?

I've been noticing it alot on the boards. I think its ****ing stupid. He's been nothing but the man his entire career. Is it the Booth hit? I mean that LEGAL unbelievably sick hit? Yeah he got a concussion but I mean this isn't the ballet. The hate is quite lame considering he's the only captain in the NHL whose name appears under badass in the dictionary.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-21-2010 at 02:31 AM.
TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:12 AM
StandingCow

It's odd, and really, I think they are mad he isn't on their team. He plays with an edge, that is why so many people compare him to bob clarke.

The complaints about the booth hit really amaze me, it was a clean hit, but when some other people describe it they make it sound like he left his feet and did a flying elbow into booth's skull.

Richards did not leave his feet and lowered his shoulder. Booth needs to keep his head up.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:20 AM
Montreal Shadow

How about posting it on the main board to get an unbiased answer? For one, I think he's a dirty punk who seeks to cause a world of pain to the opposition. Sure thing, he's great when he plays on the team you cheer for, but it ain't too hard to see what other fan bases have against him. He's like Bobby Clarke with less offensive talent. Richards is far from being a clean player though. That comes from someone who has nothing against Philly. He's quite dirty to be honest. He's a great player and a good leader, that still doesn't prevent him from being dirty. Just look at Pronger.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:21 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

hes a flyer, which automatically means he likely tried to smother booth with a pillow later in the night. everyone hates philly because they were big bad meanies in the 70s.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:22 AM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
hes a flyer, which automatically means he likely tried to smother booth with a pillow later in the night. everyone hates philly because they were big bad meanies in the 70s.
No. The likes of Giroux, Carter and Brière aren't seen as dirty players. Pronger has always been dirty, same for Richards.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:24 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
No. The likes of Giroux, Carter and Brière aren't seen as dirty players. Pronger has always been dirty, same for Richards.
pronger has really, really cleaned up his game since coming into philly. i expected the opposite of what he has been.

briere is kind of dirty this season. i never noticed it before, and dont know if its a new trait, but damn.

edit: after the booth hit richards was different. he wasnt hitting at all, and in the next florida game, almost injured himself pulling up from a hit on weiss. if he had connected with weiss, it would have been worse than the booth hit...weiss was going up the middle right at richards with his head down. that doesnt sound like a dirty headhunter to me.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:29 AM
Flyers93

Quote:
Wrong. Big, bad, Richards tried to disguise himself as the father of Booth and tried to convince the doctors to pul the plug on him.

Flyers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:30 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
How about posting it on the main board to get an unbiased answer? For one, I think he's a dirty punk who seeks to cause a world of pain to the opposition. Sure thing, he's great when he plays on the team you cheer for, but it ain't too hard to see what other fan bases have against him. He's like Bobby Clarke with less offensive talent. Richards is far from being a clean player though. That comes from someone who has nothing against Philly. He's quite dirty to be honest. He's a great player and a good leader, that still doesn't prevent him from being dirty. Just look at Pronger.

You should feed me examples. Nobody has brought any.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:30 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers93 View Post
Wrong. Big, bad, Richards tried to disguise himself as the father of Booth and tried to convince the doctors to pul the plug on him.
doctor: sir, hes not even comatose, much less vegetative...

richards: oh, ok. sorry to bother you. *begins strangling booth with the plug*

Old
05-21-2010, 02:31 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
You should feed me examples. Nobody has brought any.
I got 10 he brings up the Booth hit.

Before that, everyone loved him, and barely anyone called him dirty. Then he hits Booth and all of a sudden... he is "sup3r d1rty m4ng" who goes out of his way to hurt people and hs people...

I think the league is just turning into a bunch of ******* really. Like any hit nowadays, people cry allover the place.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Flyers93

Quote:
doctor: sir, hes not even comatose, much less vegetative...

richards: oh, ok. sorry to bother you. *begins strangling booth with the plug*
I think you meant elbow, not plug..

Old
05-21-2010, 02:37 AM
Flyers93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I got 10 he brings up the Booth hit.

Before that, everyone loved him, and barely anyone called him dirty. Then he hits Booth and all of a sudden... he is "sup3r d1rty m4ng" who goes out of his way to hurt people and hs people...

I think the league is just turning into a bunch of ******* really. Like any hit nowadays, people cry allover the place.
Agreed, any hard hits, cross checks, slashes, you name it these days are debated and beaten to death. It's really sad.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:38 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I think you meant elbow, not plug..
nah, thats pronger's MO

Old
05-21-2010, 02:38 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
I'd say Briere's dirtier than Richards is. Richards is the guy that cleans your clock - Briere's the guy that spears you in the nuts.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:39 AM
Flyers93

Quote:
nah, thats pronger's MO
Usually, but hasn't really made an official appearance in a Flyer uniform.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:43 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
How about posting it on the main board to get an unbiased answer?
It was mentioned in the main board, that is why he is asking here.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:44 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
I'd say Briere's dirtier than Richards is. Richards is the guy that cleans your clock - Briere's the guy that spears you in the nuts.
or delivers a jumping crosscheck to the neck after the play, from behind. i really hated that move, could have been dangerous.

Quote:
Usually, but hasn't really made an official appearance in a Flyer uniform.
yeah, i think i only remember one borderline incident all season. the one thing he's done that really stands out came early on, when he choked someone with their jersey.

Old
05-21-2010, 02:45 AM
flountown

Richards is just a guy who is really good at recognizing the potential for a hit, and upon recognizing it, making a very good use of the allowable two steps or whatever it is, before connecting.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:48 AM
decadentia

Richards plays with an edge, which a lot of seemingly new fans of the NHL cannot stomach.

Personally I like having a player that is tough as nails, and continually generates quotes of "he's difficult to play against" from the opposition.

I'd hate to see what fans would say today if Messier, C. Lemieux, Scott Stevens and G. Howe were playing...

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 03:26 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

gotta ♥ Philly & NY fans!

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 03:29 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Richards plays with an edge, which a lot of seemingly new fans of the NHL cannot stomach.

Personally I like having a player that is tough as nails, and continually generates quotes of "he's difficult to play against" from the opposition.

I'd hate to see what fans would say today if Messier, C. Lemieux, Scott Stevens and G. Howe were playing...
It's a dangerous combination of the internet and the New NHL bringing in a bunch of fans who can't understand how this game should be played.

Every little thing is debated and exaggerated to death.

Richards doesn't hit you in the numbers (Hollweg or Kaleta), he doesn't aim for the head (Cooke I guess is the most recent example of a headhunter), he doesn't do the stickwork (Gomez in this series has been disgraceful), he stands up for his teammates with situational fights and removes his bucket if he's fighting an honourable player.

He plays the game the right way. He's only dirty if you hate the Flyers.

But I guess in a world where Lappiere laughing like a nutbag and taunting a team he's trailing in a series to from the safety of the bench is something worth celebrating...Richards is the dirtiest **** on the planet.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Yeah, I mean just look at all of his suspensions. He's got like what, 10 by now. Right?

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 07:03 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Giroux, Carter, and Briere also are not very physical players.

Old
05-21-2010, 07:13 AM
Don Nachbaur 26

I'd say Briere is way dirtier than Richards.

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 07:25 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
That is what you are supposed to do as a hockey player. If someone skates with their head down, watches their pass after the pass it, etc. it is your job as a hockey player to lay them out. Not let up so that no one is hurt. Like someone said earlier, this isn't the ballet. If you don't want to see people to get hurt, watch golf. Otherwise grow a pair and quit complaining.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote