HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

The Armchair GM thread (all "how I'd fix the Sharks" type posts here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2010, 02:43 AM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
The Armchair GM thread (all "how I'd fix the Sharks" type posts here)

replacement for nabokov?

pardon me for jumping the gun but...

if a decision was made to tweak the core (which i think is inevitable) would carey price seem to you as a viable solution to replace nabokov?

i know his stats aren t exactly sparkling this last season, but given his youth he is doing well career wise for a 23 year old goalie. take him away from the pressure cooker that is montreal (especialy for goalies) and he may blossom behind a stronger team.

there is no denying he has game breaking talent, he just hasn t put it all together yet. he s been pushed out of the job in montreal.

i was thinking of pavelski or clowe or setoguchi in some sort of deal as return.

what do you think?

Last edited by LadyStanley: 05-23-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: merge threads/update title
Old
05-23-2010, 02:48 AM
StalockSuperfan

I wouldn't mind Price, but the thing is we have Stalock in the AHL, a future starter about a year away. I don't think DW would give Pavelski/Setoguchi/Clowe for a one year stop gap. If that makes sense.

Old
05-23-2010, 02:49 AM
vilpertti

No reason to let go of proper talent considering the goalie pipeline is loaded with talent like Stalock, Sšteri and Greiss.

Old
05-23-2010, 02:58 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Greiss/Stalock ...

Old
05-23-2010, 03:13 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Let Greiss and Stalock do 50/50 next year or sign a veteran goalie.

Old
05-23-2010, 03:17 AM
ThorntonFan19

Sign Ellis

Old
05-23-2010, 03:23 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Would the Sharks have any interest in Cory Schneider? He wouldn't cost much.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Would the Sharks have any interest in Cory Schneider? He wouldn't cost much.
I don't personally see he's guaranteed to be any better than Stalock or Greiss. As a result, no interest personally as he'd cost assets to acquire.

As for the OP, I'd love to see Price in teal. I think his reputation has been left in the gutter by an overburden of expectation in a Roy-less Montreal. I don't think he's anywhere near as 'bad' as the knock he gets - given a fresh start, I think he would be an exceptional asset.

I'm not keen on moving Pavelski at all though. I think his value is much higher right now.

Old
05-23-2010, 10:14 AM
xercengetorix

There is going to be a war to claim the number one spot. We have a huge goaltender prospect pipeline. 3 goalies in particular are going to be gunning for time to prove themselves. Alex Stalock, Thomas Greiss and Henrik Karlsson. That's how it is looking right now.

But, hey if we could get Price for a decent, well, price, then I'm all for it! I think that Montreal will be be very patient with, and very careful about moving Price. If I were them, I'd tell anyone else to take a hike and keep my excellent goaltending tandem.

It's more logical that were SJ going to try and retool that they might get a decent free-agent like Ellis.

Anything but our biggest glaring playoff weakness- Nabokov.

Old
05-23-2010, 10:49 AM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
pardon me for jumping the gun but...

if a decision was made to tweak the core (which i think is inevitable) would carey price seem to you as a viable solution to replace nabokov?

i know his stats aren t exactly sparkling this last season, but given his youth he is doing well career wise for a 23 year old goalie. take him away from the pressure cooker that is montreal (especialy for goalies) and he may blossom behind a stronger team.

there is no denying he has game breaking talent, he just hasn t put it all together yet. he s been pushed out of the job in montreal.

i was thinking of pavelski or clowe or setoguchi in some sort of deal as return.

what do you think?

Dany Heatley
1st Round pick (27th overall unless we come back and beat Chicago)

Carey Price
P.K. Subban

Why it helps San Jose: Nabokov's playoff performance will forever be questioned by everybody who's a Sharks fan, or player, or even Blackhawk/Avalanche/Red Wing fan would probably agree. He continuously gives up soft goals. Getting a good starter would help the team and it would give them time to keep from ruining Greiss/Stalock/Karlsson's development. P.K. Subban is the 2-Way Top-4 Defenseman they need, he's only like 20, but he has been over .50 points/game and that's damn good for a rookie defenseman in the playoffs and just imagine how well he could do with a more-offensive team like San Jose.

Why it helps Montreal: Montreal needs a little more offense, and Dany Heatley is offense. I believe his NTC no longer works. The 1st round pick is also a pretty good pick to inject some youth into Montreal, as youth isn't too big in Montreal.

What do you think?

Old
05-23-2010, 11:06 AM
triplea112

anyone else want to try any of the young goalies to see if they can pull a leighton/halak/niemi?

I would personally do pavs for price + 2nd round pick. san jose should be a nice change of scenery from montreal for him.

Old
05-23-2010, 11:21 AM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplea112 View Post
anyone else want to try any of the young goalies to see if they can pull a leighton/halak/niemi?

I would personally do pavs for price + 2nd round pick. san jose should be a nice change of scenery from montreal for him.
I don't want Pavelski gone, what about getting rid of Boyle?

Old
05-23-2010, 11:23 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplea112 View Post

Pav's is almost guaranteed to be our captain in the future. He's also a playoff performer. He's as untouchable as anyone on the team.

You'd be better off looking at a Seto or Clowe for Price deal. I think Price and a 2nd for Seto is closer to happening than Pav's.

And to the proposal that mentioned PK Subban, there is no chance. You are lucky Hab's fans are not on their way to your house to string you up.

Old
05-23-2010, 11:25 AM
dynamoovechkin

Ooh, I'd love to have Subban, that would be awesome, but I seriously doubt the Habs would part with him.

Price? meh.

Old
05-23-2010, 11:29 AM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Turco for 2 years at 3.5-4 mil a year.

Old
05-23-2010, 11:36 AM
triplea112

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
that seems really high. 3mil max!

As for pavs, I don't want him gone either, but... you guys think you might be overrating him a bit? he's gotten quite cold. a very useful player, but definitely replaceable.

Old
05-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Docter419

Send a message via AIM to Docter419
Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
Or Tim Thomas for 2 years, let Stalock develop

Old
05-23-2010, 11:45 AM
triplea112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docter419 View Post
thomas has 15 million left on his 35+ contract...

Old
05-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Flicktron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docter419 View Post
If the Sharks are going in a different, I think a Turco signing would be good, while they let Stalock develop slowly and nice.

Old
05-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Rickety Cricket

I'm not really on board with the "let Greiss, Stalock and Karlsson duke it out" idea. I'd rather they bring them along slowly then throw them to the wolves.

Old
05-23-2010, 12:20 PM
SJeasy

I am absolutely opposed to Price and Turco. Turco is done. The issues with Price are not just the Montreal environment. The Sharks don't need to throw that in the mix. If they need a stop gap, I would look at Ellis and Nitty. I would also skip Biron as even his experience is not an upgrade as his play has been appalling. Thomas' contract is a huge stop sign. I'd even take Hedberg as a high game count backup before some of the others mentioned.

Old
05-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I am absolutely opposed to Price and Turco. Turco is done. The issues with Price are not just the Montreal environment. The Sharks don't need to throw that in the mix. If they need a stop gap, I would look at Ellis and Nitty. I would also skip Biron as even his experience is not an upgrade as his play has been appalling. Thomas' contract is a huge stop sign. I'd even take Hedberg as a high game count backup before some of the others mentioned.
Do you have any info on Price? He strikes me as the kind of guy who would do well outside of a pressure cooker like Montreal.

I whole-heartedly agree about Turco.

Old
05-23-2010, 12:33 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Do you have any info on Price? He strikes me as the kind of guy who would do well outside of a pressure cooker like Montreal.

I whole-heartedly agree about Turco.
there are all sorts of rumors about Price not having a great commitment to the game, and that he's out partying and maybe worse when he should be trying to buckle down and prove he was worth that high draft pick. Of course all of these are completely unprovable, but the rumors seem to surface pretty regularly. Not that that's an indication of potential truthfulness.

and I agree with Easy. I like Niittymaki if we're looking at a stopgap solution while we wait for one of the prospects. He looked good playing on a weak, weak, weak Tampa squad.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 05-23-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old
05-23-2010, 12:42 PM
SlasherLukaMP

I wasn't sure about Greiss, but what I saw from him this season, he really isn't too bad. Give him a chance, but also sign a veteran back up just in case. People on these boards might hate me for it but how about Osgood?

Old
05-23-2010, 12:45 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Who is the Top-4 D-Man We Need?

We could try signing the following UFA's

Anton Volchenkov
Zybnek Michalek
Dan Hamhuis
Sergei Gonchar (I think this might be his last year as a Top-4)
Nicklas Lidstrom (He's probably gonna take the pay-cut to stay in DET)
Derek Morris
Kurtis Foster
Scott Niedermayer (Has that Cup-Winning experience that we need)
Pavel Kubina
Jay Mckee

IDK what these guys would go for on the open market. Ehrhoff was exactly what we need, he's be an all-star this year if there was an all-star game...Blake may retire and even if he doesn't I don't really want him back...

Closed Thread