HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM thread (all "how I'd fix the Sharks" type posts here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2010, 02:04 PM
rgb63

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
TOr we could let Boyle walk. I don't think he has many good years in front of him, he has a pretty high trade value I think.

Old
05-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 516
Take your pick. There are some noteworthy UFA/RFA available come July 1.

Old
05-23-2010, 02:15 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

There will be a full UFA list available in the forthcoming off-season thread that which will let people see what's out there at various positions. I'm not doing an RFA list because offer sheets are so rare and because DW is a fan of trading subsequent draft picks to move up at the current draft, so who knows after the 2010 if the team will even be able to submit an offer sheet.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
05-23-2010, 02:19 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

[QUOTE=JPavs8Cluthcy;25960958]
Zybnek Michalek
Derek MorrisQUOTE]

NOOOOOOO Zbynek is my fav player

D-MO is ok, id like him back, but you can have him.

BUT NOT Z! HES OURS!!!!

Old
05-23-2010, 02:22 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
Zybnek Michalek
Derek MorrisQUOTE]

NOOOOOOO Zbynek is my fav player

D-MO is ok, id like him back, but you can have him.

BUT NOT Z! HES OURS!!!!
We already traded our Michalek. We need to get another one to replace him.

Old
05-23-2010, 02:35 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Mike Rathje!!!! He's the best defenseman ever!!!! He could easily win 5 Norris Trophies

Old
05-23-2010, 02:35 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Korky. That's the solution.

05-23-2010, 02:42 PM
mrpither
Better to burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Korky. That's the solution.
he switched to top-4 d-man now??

Old
05-23-2010, 02:42 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I'd really like Dennis Seidenberg if it weren't already apparent that his plan is to stay in Boston.

Old
05-23-2010, 02:43 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpither View Post
he switched to top-4 d-man now??
Korky's the solution to everything.

Hell, he's the solution to a potential goalie problem too.

Old
05-23-2010, 02:44 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

We have some good goalies coming up. I like the internship approach. Nabby would be a good mentor at the right price. I also like Turco for this team, because he is so good handling the puck. He supports the defense on dump ins and starting the offense. He's also aware for the stretch.

Cost will be key because I can't see us paying $5M on the goal position again.

Old
05-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Slurms McKenzie
Wam wam wazzle!

any successful d-core starts with moving murray out of san jose...volchenkov is worth 4mil at least.

Old
05-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjc View Post
any successful d-core starts with moving murray out of san jose...volchenkov is worth 4mil at least.
What is your issue with Murray? He is a second/third pairing defenseman who has been put on the first line against the league's best players, and he's not doing a terrible job and is the only one providing physical play on our defense. He's not making Boyle's 6 million, fyi.

Volchenkov is not worth more than $5 and that's exactly what he's gonna be asking for. Ottawa couldn't resign him. $4mil is perfect for him.

Old
05-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Los Tiburones

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
I wouldn't mind Price, but the thing is we have Stalock in the AHL, a future starter about a year away. I don't think DW would give Pavelski/Setoguchi/Clowe for a one year stop gap. If that makes sense.
I would trade Clowe for Price, and I'd throw in a draft pick if necessary to make it happen. Basically, I think if you trade Clowe and don't resign Nabby, you may be able to afford Marleau. Marleau + Price or Greiss or Stalak or Karlsson gives you a lot of options to figure it out before the playoffs. I think trying to get Bernier from LA would also be a good play if they want to keep going with Quick.

Old
05-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Kitten Mittons

Price is not gonna be a good goalie until he knocks some girl up, marries her, and then has some family tragedy - all that will help his maturity because right now, it's a bowl of talent with no desire to win and improve. Just playing for kicks.

Old
05-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Los Tiburones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Price is not gonna be a good goalie until he knocks some girl up, marries her, and then has some family tragedy - all that will help his maturity because right now, it's a bowl of talent with no desire to win and improve. Just playing for kicks.
Wonder if he'd be better getting out of Montreal. I can imagine that Montreal is a really hard place to play hockey.

Old
05-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Slurms McKenzie
Wam wam wazzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
What is your issue with Murray? He is a second/third pairing defenseman who has been put on the first line against the league's best players, and he's not doing a terrible job and is the only one providing physical play on our defense. He's not making Boyle's 6 million, fyi.
i'll post more stats later after sjsu finals are over, but here's a teaser, he was -2 in that ot game on friday on two even strength goals. i didn't watch the game but caught the ot replay on puck daddy. if he's going to stand in front of the crease not actively covering anyone, then he needs to dump all passes that come into the slot away, he didn't, and he looked realllly bad reacting to the pass. not sure why boyle always takes the hits from the media for murray's mistakes.

not asking for lidstrom plays, but murray doesn't seem to make the right defensive plays when we need him to and i'm sick of seeing him coast in front of nabby on goals against. it's why we should dump murray salary and get volchenkov for whatever he wants.

Old
05-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjc View Post
Murray isn't this teams problem. At $2.5 mil his contract is perfectly fine. What the team needs is mobile d-men who are good defensively, and at least "good" offensively. Someone who can replace Blake in the Top 4. I've love to see Murray be more of a 4-5 guy, but he's shown he can play the role he's in now.

Old
05-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 516
The only problem that Murray has is that he is slow. If he improves his conditioning over the offseason he can easily lose 10 pounds and increase his speed while not sacrificing hitting power.

My largest frustration with the d-core is Blake and Huskins. Their routines are so predictable it's infuriating; while on the point, receive puck -> shoot. No mobility what-so-ever. With Boyle and Demers, they make the attempt to find the hole and then drive it home.

Old
05-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Docter419

Send a message via AIM to Docter419
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplea112 View Post
thomas has 15 million left on his 35+ contract...
thought he was UFA nevermind

Old
05-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic8 View Post
The only problem that Murray has is that he is slow. If he improves his conditioning over the offseason he can easily lose 10 pounds and increase his speed while not sacrificing hitting power.

My largest frustration with the d-core is Blake and Huskins. Their routines are so predictable it's infuriating; while on the point, receive puck -> shoot. No mobility what-so-ever. With Boyle and Demers, they make the attempt to find the hole and then drive it home.
I agree on Blake and Huskins needing to go. But Murray is not out of shape. By all reports he has among the lowest body fat percentages on the team. So for him to lose 10 pounds, he would have to lose 10 pounds of muscle, not fat.

Old
05-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Murray isn't this teams problem. At $2.5 mil his contract is perfectly fine. What the team needs is mobile d-men who are good defensively, and at least "good" offensively. Someone who can replace Blake in the Top 4. I've love to see Murray be more of a 4-5 guy, but he's shown he can play the role he's in now.
Just because he's shown he can play it doesn't mean he can play it well or that he should be what we go with. I have no desire to keep Douglas Murray as the #4. He's overextended in the role and it shows as games and the season wears on. Maybe he needed a year to adjust to it but from what I've seen, he's not the answer and if he's on the 3rd pair, 2.5 mil is too much for him.

Old
05-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Just because he's shown he can play it doesn't mean he can play it well or that he should be what we go with. I have no desire to keep Douglas Murray as the #4. He's overextended in the role and it shows as games and the season wears on. Maybe he needed a year to adjust to it but from what I've seen, he's not the answer and if he's on the 3rd pair, 2.5 mil is too much for him.
I see his role more like:

Boyle - New D-man
Vlasic - Murray
Demers - ??? (Morris, who knows)

Murray is fine as a 4-5 guy who gets lots of PP time, and $2.5 is not unusual for that role.

Old
05-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I see his role more like:

Boyle - New D-man
Vlasic - Murray
Demers - ??? (Morris, who knows)

Murray is fine as a 4-5 guy who gets lots of PP time, and $2.5 is not unusual for that role.
If he doesn't improve his endurance in order to play 20 minutes a night at a much higher level over time than he has this year, it's not worth it to keep him around.

Old
05-23-2010, 04:25 PM
FreeVille

Murray reminds me of a Kyle McLaren, big D-man who contributes somewhat on offense. Murray is a guy we need to battle big Power forwards on other teams. Vaasa is right, hes a 4-5 guys, and with his salary he fits that mold well.

That being said, Brent Burns or Zbynek (sp?) is a good partner for Danny B.

Also, if we trade Huskins, could I think Wallin would be a great pairing with Demers. He's done a solid job thus far, and I like his gritty play. Plus his veteran experience is a good teaching tool for Demers.

Boyle- Defensive D-Man with offensive upside
Vlasic- Murray (strong physically and stick wise)
Demers-Wallin
(Moore or Groulx?)

Closed Thread