HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

The Armchair GM thread (all "how I'd fix the Sharks" type posts here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Gilligans Island

vCash: 500
Whatever we do spend no more than $2.5m total for both goalies. Griess is at $500K so $2m max on the other goalie.

Use the rest for the D.

Old
05-23-2010, 04:55 PM
jeg2315

What the hell is this "bring in an old-fart-of-a-goalie to mentor our guys" crap? Much less bringing Nabokov back to do that...lol

Get Nabokov the hell out of here. He wasn't totally to blame but he was probably the biggest reason for our collapse.

Old
05-23-2010, 04:59 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Tiburones View Post
Wonder if he'd be better getting out of Montreal. I can imagine that Montreal is a really hard place to play hockey.
It has nothing to do with the Montreal fanbase. That is an excuse that is consistently being dredged up. It has everything to do with Price the person and goalie. There are others who have followed a similar path with much less fanfare.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Korky94

In: Brent Burns (trade) +Willie Mitchell (FA)

Out: Huskins (trade/move to minors), Wallin (FA), Blake (FA)

Mitchell - Boyle
Vlassic - Burns
Murray - Demers

Maybe sign a cheep, mobile #7 D-man

Old
05-23-2010, 05:15 PM
masterofallxix

we need marleau. plain and simple. we can probably fit him in as long as we sign him to a long term front-ended contract like pronger/hossa did.

with that said, i'm perfectly fine with dropping nabby. he's starting to age...and as niemi proved this year (hiller last year) a goalie does not have to be proven to play well in the playoffs. save the money on nabby...sign marleau pavs and seto..drop blake...and we'll prob have enough money to sign a couple of defensemen as well. leave the job for stalock/greiss/karlsson to fight for and whoever comes out on top should be okay. and yea...sign a veteran backup just in case.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:16 PM
teddygmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Price is not gonna be a good goalie until he knocks some girl up, marries her, and then has some family tragedy - all that will help his maturity because right now, it's a bowl of talent with no desire to win and improve. Just playing for kicks.
Habs tried to trade Price along with the Kostitsyns at the trade deadline with NO takers. Their off ice issues are well known around the league.

Part of the solution in goal could be German goalie Dennis Endras, awarded Top Goalie at the World Championships today with a 1.15 gaa and .961 save% in 6 games! He's a UFA and would probably need to start the year in the AHL to get used to North American ice but he turns 25 on July 14 so is just approaching his prime. He would have to sign a cap friendly Entry level contract (much less than Nabby's $5.4 million cap hit).
Elite prospects describes him this way:
"Gives up very few rebounds. Quick goalie. A smallish keeper with an unusual style. Has great reflexes and is good at covering the angles for the shooters. Mentally strong with the ability to stay calm under pressure. Very skilled in one on ones, which makes him excellent on shootouts."
Antti Niemi came over from Finland at 25 years old two years ago and now he's taking the Hawks to the Stanley Cup Final!

Old
05-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjc View Post
any successful d-core starts with moving murray out of san jose...volchenkov is worth 4mil at least.
lol no.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Korky94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bridge View Post
Have Turco play D. His puck handling skills outweigh his puck stopping skills right now.

Bam PMD.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:21 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

The defensive corps is much more important than goalie. Let Nabby go, Blake retire, let Wallin go, and use freed up money to get Pavs and Seto re-signed, shore up the defensive corps, and get a stopgap goalie in here who will play well if the dmen in front of him play well (like Niemi, like Leighton).

I'm thinking Johan Hedberg. Former Sharks prospect, Warren Strelow trend, dirt cheap, should allow us money to spend on the blueline.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:22 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
Habs tried to trade Price along with the Kostitsyns at the trade deadline with NO takers. Their off ice issues are well known around the league.

Part of the solution in goal could be German goalie Dennis Endras, awarded Top Goalie at the World Championships today with a 1.15 gaa and .961 save% in 6 games! He's a UFA and would probably need to start the year in the AHL to get used to North American ice but he turns 25 on July 14 so is just approaching his prime. He would have to sign a cap friendly Entry level contract (much less than Nabby's $5.4 million cap hit).
Elite prospects describes him this way:
"Gives up very few rebounds. Quick goalie. A smallish keeper with an unusual style. Has great reflexes and is good at covering the angles for the shooters. Mentally strong with the ability to stay calm under pressure. Very skilled in one on ones, which makes him excellent on shootouts."
Antti Niemi came over from Finland at 25 years old two years ago and now he's taking the Hawks to the Stanley Cup Final!
I liked what Endras did, but if this were the direction to go, the Sharks might as well stick with Greiss who brings a lot of those same things.

EDIT: also the full list of available UFA goalies is now up in the off-season info thread.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
05-23-2010, 05:27 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slu...besmyths050610

Quote:
Hockey goalies are overpaid. Their goals against averages are determined as much by the quality of their teams as anything else. Most all stop about 90 percent of the shots they face. Put any goaltender on the New Jersey Devils and his numbers would likely resemble those of the renowned Martin Brodeur.
To add to that, I think the blueline is key. Find a way to get this blueline (by letting Nabby go, Blake retire, Wallin go, etc):

Boyle, Z Michalek (UFA), Hamhuis (UFA), Vlasic, Demers, Murray/Huskins

Then you can throw anyone in net, like Greiss, J. Hedberg, even Henrik Karlsson, I dunno, but you get the point.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slu...besmyths050610

To add to that, I think the blueline is key. Find a way to get this blueline (by letting Nabby go, Blake retire, Wallin go, etc):

Then you can throw anyone in net, like Greiss, J. Hedberg, even Henrik Karlsson, I dunno, but you get the point.
Dude, we're not gonna get Michalek. Hamhuis, I can see happening (and want to).

Old
05-23-2010, 05:30 PM
5H4RK5

A 2 way Dman would be best if Blake is gone. I hope Blake comes back for 1 more year but I don't know.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Improvise
Old School

Send a message via AIM to Improvise
I'd honestly take Turco over Nabby at this point. At least I wouldn't have a heart attack every time our goalie goes behind the net to handle the puck.

Seriously, in all my years of watching hockey, I don't think I've ever seen such an aggressive puck playing goaltender as bad as Nabby.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:31 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

I want this blueline:

Maybe we can afford it with Nabby gone, Blake retired, Wallin gone, etc, etc.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:33 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Dude, we're not gonna get Michalek. Hamhuis, I can see happening (and want to).
Why not Z? You think he'll command too much?

Old
05-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
I'm sure he would much rather play with his bro.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korky94 View Post
In: Brent Burns (trade) +Willie Mitchell (FA)

Out: Huskins (trade/move to minors), Wallin (FA), Blake (FA)

Mitchell - Boyle
Vlassic - Burns
Murray - Demers

Maybe sign a cheep, mobile #7 D-man
Both Burns and Mitchell have had serious concussion issues in the last couple of years. Both missed significant time this season to just that if I remember right. I would pass both by. Hamhuis is probably the best option from a UFA view in that he is still young, defensively good (not great), and who has some nice offensive abilities. If I remember right, he's more mobile than anyone on the current D roster other than Boyle (someone who see's him more correct me).

Old
05-23-2010, 05:35 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Doesn't like how we treated his bratr.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:36 PM
5H4RK5

Quote:
I want this blueline:

Maybe we can afford it with Nabby gone, Blake retired, Wallin gone, etc, etc.
That would be a nice D core but our forwards will have to improve there D as well then we can go with that. We have a lot of netminders in our system and there are vet netminders if Nabby is too much for our cap. It would be best to split the games so come playoff time like Niemi and Leighton or Halak who played a few games during the regular season to stay fresh.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:40 PM
PotaGuitar

Quote:
Let's be reality, every quality FA defenseman on the market will command too much. I really can't see the Sharks getting one of Z, Hamhuis, Volchenkov etc. based on the fact that we aren't exactly rolling in cap space.

Best case scenario is that they let Nabby walk and save a lot of money in net. Then you retain Marleau and trade one of the remaining top 7 (Pavs, Heatley, Jumbo, Juicy, Seto, Clowe) for a top 4 defenseman.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:41 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Looking at the UFA list, I don't he think he plays anymore, but I'll hang myself if I see the following headline:

"Sharks bring Rathje back for 2010-11." (Seriously tho, I may stop watching hockey if Rathje decided to play again and found himself on this team)

Old
05-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Korky94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Both Burns and Mitchell have had serious concussion issues in the last couple of years. Both missed significant time this season to just that if I remember right. I would pass both by. Hamhuis is probably the best option from a UFA view in that he is still young, defensively good (not great), and who has some nice offensive abilities. If I remember right, he's more mobile than anyone on the current D roster other than Boyle (someone who see's him more correct me).
I thought this was Mitchell's first concussion issue, but I could be wrong. I don't follow the Nucks that closely. However, the consensus on Burns is he is fine - this coming from Minnesota fans, one used Bergeron as a comparison, and I doubt you'd pass on him.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:46 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Very mobile. Can play second unit PP. His shot is not threatening but he can QB.

I agree about injury issues, because the cap situation and depth issues of the Sharks really make it mandatory that any acquisition be an everyday player. That means minimal injury histories, or if significant, that the injuries be of a type not likely to be repeated like severe lacerations or broken bones. Not groin/hip, not concussion and not ACL/MCL.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:49 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korky94 View Post
I thought this was Mitchell's first concussion issue, but I could be wrong. I don't follow the Nucks that closely. However, the consensus on Burns is he is fine - this coming from Minnesota fans, one used Bergeron as a comparison, and I doubt you'd pass on him.
TSN's transaction/injury history for him shows at least 2 or 3 previous ones, and who knows how many undiagnosed ones.

Closed Thread