HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM thread (all "how I'd fix the Sharks" type posts here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Improvise
Old School

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Improvise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korky94 View Post
In: Brent Burns (trade) +Willie Mitchell (FA)

Out: Huskins (trade/move to minors), Wallin (FA), Blake (FA)

Mitchell - Boyle
Vlassic - Burns
Murray - Demers

Maybe sign a cheep, mobile #7 D-man
On paper, that line up looks 100x better than what we had this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Both Burns and Mitchell have had serious concussion issues in the last couple of years. Both missed significant time this season to just that if I remember right. I would pass both by. Hamhuis is probably the best option from a UFA view in that he is still young, defensively good (not great), and who has some nice offensive abilities. If I remember right, he's more mobile than anyone on the current D roster other than Boyle (someone who see's him more correct me).
I wouldn't worry too much about concussion history. The league has really tightened up on head shots and what are the chances of both of these guys getting concussions again?

And how many concussions have both of them suffered, anyway? How serious is their history? I'm unaware so I could be completely wrong, please fill me in.

Either way, if we could get Mitchell/Hamhuis/Volchenkov/Burns to pair up with Boyle I'd be ecstatic. That is what a top D unit should look like.

I loved Murray's physical play this post-season but he is not skilled enough to play against opposing top lines.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:54 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about concussion history. The league has really tightened up on head shots and what are the chances of both of these guys getting concussions again?
No matter what the league does with headshots, they will still be in the game. Some concussions are the result of entirely legal plays. Each concussion makes the next concussion more likely. Ask anyone in sports medicine. It is a repetitive type of injury.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Korky94

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
TSN's transaction/injury history for him shows at least 2 or 3 previous ones, and who knows how many undiagnosed ones.
I posted an article in another thread on the main board (but I don't know how to use the search feature well enough to find it) about him moving to a new helmet that is designed to prevent concussions. Anyway, Minnesota fans have said since his last concussion he is starting to finally show signs of his old self again. So his injury issues no longer seem to be affecting his play, and with better equipment/tighter rules about headshots, it seems pretty likely his worst days are behind him.

Old
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
No matter what the league does with headshots, they will still be in the game. Some concussions are the result of entirely legal plays. Each concussion makes the next concussion more likely. Ask anyone in sports medicine. It is a repetitive type of injury.
this. guys who've racked up a ton of concussions might very well concuss themselves while delivering a hit. We don't need that possibility.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
Improvise
Old School

Quote:
I know that, but it's not like this is football or boxing. Concussions aren't as prevalent in hockey as they are in other sports.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:58 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korky94 View Post
I posted an article in another thread on the main board (but I don't know how to use the search feature well enough to find it) about him moving to a new helmet that is designed to prevent concussions. Anyway, Minnesota fans have said since his last concussion he is starting to finally show signs of his old self again. So his injury issues no longer seem to be affecting his play, and with better equipment/tighter rules about headshots, it seems pretty likely his worst days are behind him.

My bad. I meant Mitchell, not burns.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:59 PM
nbbyfan20

LOL at the poster who said let Boyle walk. Seriously? Remember when us fans use to complain how we needed a puck moving defensemen and you just want to trade him? Seriously? Boyle is staying here.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:00 PM
hockeyball

As I said before, I don't think Blake should come back. He is horribly one dimensional at this point, and he faded off badly as the playoffs wore on. He is 40, he's not going to have more in the tank next season.

It's hard to speculate who to get. DW doesn't like the FA market much so I doubt he gets in a bidding war for anyone. If Heatley NTC is in fact defunct, move him. Even at a lowered value, it's still good value for us considering what we gave up to get Heatley. I'd love to get Weber, it's unlikely, but they do need offense badly. Between Weber and Suter, one of them might be gettable with the right offer.

Willie Mitchell would be fine if not for the concussion issues. I question Varlamov's value for what he will cost, and Hamhuis is a big 'meh' imo.

I will miss Nabby, but frankly, he didn't steal a single game in the playoffs. Your goalie has to steal a few, and if Nabby can't do that, we need to look elsewhere. Yes, we take the risk of doing worse in the regular season, but frankly I couldn't care less at this point.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Korky94

Quote:
this. guys who've racked up a ton of concussions might very well concuss themselves while delivering a hit. We don't need that possibility.
You could be right, but if New York had this attitude, they would have missed out on an amazing year of Gaborik (pretty much the only bright spot for them this season).

It's a risk for sure, but that's precisely why I like it. His value will be affected by the risk factor, and thus it could be an incredible bang for buck sort of deal. If his issues return, make the necessary adjustments at the trade deadline.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:01 PM
OrrNumber4

San Jose, IMO, needs to make a pitch for Gonchar. I'd do 5 million/year for 3 years. If not him, then hope that Philly's cap problems force them to trade Timonen.

I don't think someone like Hamhuis, Volchenkov, or Michalek will help. San Jose needs another "star" number one d-man like Boyle. If not that, at least a bonafide #1 guy like Visnovsky or Timonen....

And of course, a new goaltender.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Korky94

Quote:
My bad. I meant Mitchell, not burns.
ohhh I totally read that wrong. my bad. I'm pretty out of the loop Vancouver wise, so if there is serious concern here, I'll go with the consensus.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Korky94

Morris and Moore for Ehrhoff anybody?

Old
05-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Improvise
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
As I said before, I don't think Blake should come back. He is horribly one dimensional at this point, and he faded off badly as the playoffs wore on. He is 40, he's not going to have more in the tank next season.
Agreed. Blake looked great against Colorado, solid against Detroit, and average against Colorado. As the competition and talent increased each round, Blake's level of play declined.
Quote:
It's hard to speculate who to get. DW doesn't like the FA market much so I doubt he gets in a bidding war for anyone. If Heatley NTC is in fact defunct, move him. Even at a lowered value, it's still good value for us considering what we gave up to get Heatley. I'd love to get Weber, it's unlikely, but they do need offense badly. Between Weber and Suter, one of them might be gettable with the right offer.
What is the likelihood of the Preds keeping Sutter and Weber? Is it fiscally even possible for them? Especially considering the fact that they need more offense.
Quote:
Willie Mitchell would be fine if not for the concussion issues. I question Varlamov's value for what he will cost, and Hamhuis is a big 'meh' imo.
I don't care about Mitchell's concussion issues. I think it's a chance we need to take, unless of course, we can acquire some other big name DMan that can log big minutes and play with Boyle to matchup against the top lines of opposing teams.
Quote:
I will miss Nabby, but frankly, he didn't steal a single game in the playoffs. Your goalie has to steal a few, and if Nabby can't do that, we need to look elsewhere. Yes, we take the risk of doing worse in the regular season, but frankly I couldn't care less at this point.
It will be sad to see Nabby go not in net next year but I agree with you, we gotta move on. Our defense didn't help him, but he just gave up a few too many soft goals and he is a serious liability every time he plays the puck. I can't stand it anymore.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:08 PM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Aucoin, Wisniewski, Hamhuis

Old
05-23-2010, 06:09 PM
PuckNomad

Bring in Marty Turco for a year (cheap). Let Stalock develop in the AHL one more year or have him as the back up. Turco is about to be 35, coming off a horrible year and will be out to prove he's still got it. Sharks give him a one year deal and hope for the best.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:09 PM
coooldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotaGuitar View Post
Let's be reality, every quality FA defenseman on the market will command too much. I really can't see the Sharks getting one of Z, Hamhuis, Volchenkov etc. based on the fact that we aren't exactly rolling in cap space.

Best case scenario is that they let Nabby walk and save a lot of money in net. Then you retain Marleau and trade one of the remaining top 7 (Pavs, Heatley, Jumbo, Juicy, Seto, Clowe) for a top 4 defenseman.
I agree here. Let's hope it's Heatley because, injury or no, he isn't going to be the piece that carries us to the cup, and a 2-3 defenseman would definitely help. Murray is fine but we need someone to take some minutes from him and provide a little offensive zest.

Nabby, yeah... we have to let him walk. It has been a great 10 years but we've now seen him make two deep runs in his career, and his inconsistency is simply not going to take us to the cup, or even the finals.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:10 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
I know that, but it's not like this is football or boxing. Concussions aren't as prevalent in hockey as they are in other sports.
There are undiagnosed concussions in hockey just from hitting the glass. Then when the player receives that big hit, it just gets worse. Much more prevalent than admitted by the league. Part of it is the speed of the game and it is probably worse than football. Definitely not as bad as boxing where the head is always the target.

Related to the above about helmets, there have been studies that indicated that helmets do NOT mitigate concussions. There is still a violent jarring of the brain and it is just encased in an extra shell. The concussion is not from the direct impact of the hit but rather the impact of the braining being thrown violently against the inside of the skull. Helmets do protect against fractures and lacerations.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
San Jose, IMO, needs to make a pitch for Gonchar. I'd do 5 million/year for 3 years. If not him, then hope that Philly's cap problems force them to trade Timonen.

I don't think someone like Hamhuis, Volchenkov, or Michalek will help. San Jose needs another "star" number one d-man like Boyle. If not that, at least a bonafide #1 guy like Visnovsky or Timonen....

And of course, a new goaltender.
Did you see Gonchar in the playoffs? He was the reason Montreal won the series; just atrocious play in game 7. he's not a stud defensively, we need one. We already have a PP master, now it's time to cash in for a defensive stud.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:17 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudestMonkey27 View Post
Bring in Marty Turco for a year (cheap). Let Stalock develop in the AHL one more year or have him as the back up. Turco is about to be 35, coming off a horrible year and will be out to prove he's still got it. Sharks give him a one year deal and hope for the best.
All about price. If Marty wants to play for $3M or less, I'd like Stalock and Turco as a tandem.

05-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Flicktron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Did you see Gonchar in the playoffs? He was the reason Montreal won the series; just atrocious play in game 7. he's not a stud defensively, we need one. We already have a PP master, now it's time to cash in for a defensive stud.
On D, the Sharks need a nasty d-man like a Komisarek or Sutton.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:19 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bridge View Post
Have Turco play D. His puck handling skills outweigh his puck stopping skills right now.

Bam PMD.
well with Turco's puck handling will inevitably come one of these...(and there are a lot of them)

If for whatever reason you guys signed Turco and he didn't change at all from last year he would be much better for you guys than he was for the Stars simply for the fact that your defense is worlds better than the Stars defense. That being said I don't think you guys take a risk on Turco, at least if it was my GM I'd be pissed if he did. I could see you guys going after Vokoun although that is a high price tag, Harding, or as has been mentioned Price. I think any of those 3 would be great options for the Sharks.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Improvise
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
I think we need at least one more puck mover and a defensive stud, as well.

Look at the Hawks, the difference in having two puck movers like Keith and Campbell is immeasurable.

I am wondering what type of trade value Vlasic has. He had a great playoff and played Kane as well as anybody I've seen all year, his stick play is unparalleled, but if we can get a true puck mover or an elite shut down man for him then I wouldn't mind seeing it down. He isn't a true puck mover and he is too soft.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktron View Post
On D, the Sharks need a nasty d-man like a Komisarek or Sutton.
Komisarek is a nasty dman? Soft as tissue.

Ottawa got Sutton through our 2nd rd pick in the Heatley deal. ********.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Improvise
Old School

Quote:
There are undiagnosed concussions in hockey just from hitting the glass. Then when the player receives that big hit, it just gets worse. Much more prevalent than admitted by the league. Part of it is the speed of the game and it is probably worse than football. Definitely not as bad as boxing where the head is always the target.

Related to the above about helmets, there have been studies that indicated that helmets do NOT mitigate concussions. There is still a violent jarring of the brain and it is just encased in an extra shell. The concussion is not from the direct impact of the hit but rather the impact of the braining being thrown violently against the inside of the skull. Helmets do protect against fractures and lacerations.
Yeah, I agree. It's obviously a risk. I just can't take another season of Huskins.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Korky94

Quote:

This is a very insightful post, as I don't know much about concussions.

So as for the article (found here: http://www.startribune.com/sports/83088072.html), it says there are mini shock absorbers in the helmet. Would this help prevent the bouncing around you are talking about or is it essentially useless because it's all external?

Closed Thread