HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I want to go to Philly but I have concerns...

Old
05-23-2010, 11:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
I actually wouldn't mind living in Center City.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:52 AM
UseYourAllusion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I like to visit, but I just need more space than living in the city affords.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:54 AM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
nor would I, but thats too much $$$$$. University city FTW!!

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:55 AM
ki11joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
You have parts that are as safe as any areas in any major city. Then you have neighborhoods that looked like they've been hit by bombs.
Funny you use that analogy, since the 25th anniversary of the MOVE bombing was 10 days ago.

ki11joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:56 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
I like to visit, but I just need more space than living in the city affords.
Yeah, that's part of the kicker. You'd be much closer to things going on though obviously, but is it worth its pains? I always said that if I did live down there, I don't know if I'd bother owning a car.

Driving down there is such a pain, I'm sure it's like that in most cities.

Old
05-23-2010, 12:07 PM
SgtJoseph

You will be fine in Philly, just don't go across the Ben Franklin bridge and hang out in Camden over in Jersey......FERGETABOUTIT !Was a nice city years ago until all the ........Never mind !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Cleary84

So from reading your post it seems like you have a friend who lives in North Philly?

Dude the sports complex is going to be nuts, but a controlled nuts. Police have had to deal with these celebrations for the last 2 years now, even strecthing back to 04 when the Birds got to the Super bowl so they know what they're doing. You'll be fine! Philly really is a great city.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:13 PM
ajw5138

Living on south street is the best. Tons of things to do, close to old city and center city, and it's not as expensive.

ajw5138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:20 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
You will be fine in Philly, just don't go across the Ben Franklin bridge and hang out in Camden over in Jersey......FERGETABOUTIT !Was a nice city years ago until all the ........Never mind !
Yeah, you shouldn't have really typed that last part out. There's nothing in Camden to sustain it as a city any more (jobs are all gone), and that isn't the fault of who you are trying to simple-mindedly pin the blame on.

Nevertheless,

When I got married, my in-laws came over from France (wife is French). We got married around Halloween. They did not speak the best English. We would go on road trips to show them different parts of the area and they were fascinated by the Amish country.

We're traveling back in two separate cars - myself, my wife, and her sister in one, and the rest of her family in the other. They know that they need to exit 676 on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway to get back to the hotel, but they read the signs wrong and instead go towards the Benjamin Franklin Bridge. When they finally make it back to the hotel, almost an hour later, they couldn't stop talking about how seriously the people of Camden take Halloween. I could only shake my head...

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:28 PM
phlacheesesteak

so i havent seen much violence or ******** recently, but i was out at fieldhouse on 11th and filbert friday night and had a really interesting experience.

after chilling there for around 3 or 4 hours, a handful my friends and i went to leave. It was sometime after 12 am, and as soon as we walked out the door i saw one of the weirdest things ive ever seen. A thin black lady with no legs was propped up on her stubbies in a wheel chair just outside the exit was shouting and giggling creepily. Needless to say, we werent the only people leaving at the time as many folks exit to smoke, plus it was getting close to closing. So the bouncer came outside and literally started kicking (more like pushing with one of his feet) the wheelchair down the street and away from everyone.

anyway, moral of the story is if you spend time around the city (even in a nice spot like rittenhouse sq) your still gonna see crazies and bums. thats just part of being in a city, but its also the only real thing youd have to worry about for a short visit, i think. Dont stop and talk with them, because god knows theyll try to stop you and talk to you and ask you for something. just ignore them.

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Jester

Yeah, my Mom and I were heckled by a homeless lady outside the Papa Johns on Market the other day. Usually they're not that aggressive, so it was a bit interesting. My Mom is also rarely in the city (or any city), so I'm sure it rattled her a lil.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:40 PM
MojoJojo

My advice would be to park in center city near a subway entrance along Broad street. There is a lot between Broad and 15th on South that I use. The subway goes right to the sports complex and you save yourself a TON of hassle with traffic and nonsense.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:49 PM
ugiswrong

Just don't watch any coverage done by Rick Tocchet and your brain should be okay.

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw5138 View Post
Living on south street is the best. Tons of things to do, close to old city and center city, and it's not as expensive.
That would be awesome. I'd be at the TLA almost every night, and close enough to the Sports Complex too. South Street or Front Street would be cool

Old
05-23-2010, 01:05 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
If you're there when they clinch, you can fully expect some minor rioting and a march on city hall. I was up there when the Phillies won, all hell broke loose for a bit in the Jetro parking lot, but I had an amazing time. Well worth the one mirror that got ripped off my car, lol.

I plan to be up there if the Flyers have a chance to clinch as well.

Anyways, Philly isn't bad at all. I walked a good 40 blocks last night from The Piazza at Schmidts to Olde City and Society Hill, barhopping for about 6 hours, plus through Center City... might have been more than 40 blocks, but I digress... and I am still alive. Didn't even see anything bad, a few bums here and there, but every city has that... just people rooting on the Flyers (bandwagoners!) and honking their horns at us because we were wearing jerseys.

Have a native show you all the good spots or map out your trip for you and you'll have a fantastic time... my recommendation would be park at the sports complex (Or better yet, your hotel if it's a clinching game), catch a cab to Olde City, barhop and enjoy the day, then catch a cab back to the complex for the game, and then to your hotel/car. Cab fares are pretty cheap in Philly, I did 22 blocks last night for $7.50 for the ride back to my car.

Last edited by L-train*: 05-23-2010 at 01:10 PM.
L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Awsome guys!!!!

Appercaite the input!!!

Hopefully I can get tickets for a game... like I said I am going to gun for game 6... but I would settle for 3 or 4 **knock on wood** when it comes to it.

I realise games 3 and 4 are garuntees, but I think 6 would be EPIC so i want that...

Perhaps could meet up with some fellow fans for a post\pre game brews!!!

Appercaite all the input... I am confident the Flyers will make it... been chiming in 5 games... tommorow is the day... than its a matter of getting tickets...

And a new jersey cause my Richards and Primeau jerseys got messed up

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:17 PM
BlueCollarCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
Just outside Niagara Falls Canada.
I live in St. Kitts too man, actually in Thorold and I'm thinking of catching a game in the Finals if we make it too.

BlueCollarCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:19 PM
jme42257

Quote:
I'm really, truly sorry, it made me sick to just type that out, but it is the easiest comparison for a non-native to understand.
I'm just messin. but if we can lock up this trip to the SCF, center city will be going ******* nuts

jme42257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:26 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

A gun pulled on a guy twice in 15 years? That's decent. My mother's worked in Allentown for like 3 years and I think she's got that number beat.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:26 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Yeah, that's part of the kicker. You'd be much closer to things going on though obviously, but is it worth its pains? I always said that if I did live down there, I don't know if I'd bother owning a car.

Driving down there is such a pain, I'm sure it's like that in most cities.
I mean, it's not like hopping on the R5 is that big a pain for me, and I think I would just get claustrophobic living down there.

Especially now that it's summer and the entire Main Line disappears down the shore, and traffic disappears, parking is plentiful, and you can just walk into even the good restaurants with no wait.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:35 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
You'll be absolutely fine.

Philly is a tale of two cities.

You have parts that are as safe as any areas in any major city. Then you have neighborhoods that looked like they've been hit by bombs.

Stay out of the neighborhoods that look like they've been hit by bombs, and you will have NO problem.

As a tourist, you would never have any reason whatsoever to venture anywhere near any of those areas anyway. Center City is a playground for young professionals. The sport complex is self-contained and completely safe, unless you are wearing a Crosby jersey.

Your car will be fine, too. We don't burn things or loot stores when we win stuff. It's just one big happy drunk party.
West Philadelphia?

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

If we make the finals, I'm seriously considering flying over from Sweden even if I can't score game tickets, just to be there... Haven't decided yet, not talked with my employer, but damn it, I want to go.,

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:40 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
West Philadelphia?
...born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my days?

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 01:42 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I know my mom was at the celebration for their first Cup win and when she saw Bobby Clarke and his wife, she accidentally threw a mug and it hit Bobby's wife right in the leg.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 02:02 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
I mean, it's not like hopping on the R5 is that big a pain for me, and I think I would just get claustrophobic living down there.

Especially now that it's summer and the entire Main Line disappears down the shore, and traffic disappears, parking is plentiful, and you can just walk into even the good restaurants with no wait.
Yeah the suburbs are great, I just get on the R5 in Ambler, it's like a 40 minute ride, I hardly ever drive down there unless I'm going to the sports complex.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote